Apocalypse Shotgun - Single Shot Rossi - Completed Project

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

User avatar
MacAttack
* * * * *
Posts: 2992
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:11 am

Re: Reparing a Single Shot Rossi/Apocalypse Shotgun

Post by MacAttack » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:01 pm

But its a .410.

Exactly how effective is that thing going to be shooting shot shells? Its not like there are a lot of shot in a .410 shell. Slugs would be all I would push through it after cutting it down.


But to each their own.

User avatar
cauldron
* * *
Posts: 707
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:34 pm
Location: Peoria, IL

Re: Reparing a Single Shot Rossi/Apocalypse Shotgun

Post by cauldron » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:23 pm

I would be tempted to blow the budget and have a Poly Choke put on it.

Cannot wait to see the gun when it's finished!
Have you ever looked around at the group of people you are in and thought, "If the Zombie Apocalypse happens right now, this is what I have to work with."

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 12210
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:06 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Re: Reparing a Single Shot Rossi/Apocalypse Shotgun

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:25 pm

A decent smith could thread it for chokes.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
Image
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

User avatar
Red Dawn
* *
Posts: 224
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:03 pm
Location: Salt Lake City

Re: Reparing a Single Shot Rossi/Apocalypse Shotgun

Post by Red Dawn » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:36 am

MacAttack wrote:But its a .410.
I don't know why people think I said it's a .410, it's a 12 gauge.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:A decent smith could thread it for chokes.
I'm not interested in chokes. This is going to be a wasteland blunderbuss. As for the length I've successfully hunted Rabbits and Doves with my other shotgun cut down to 18.2 inches. The range is limited but that's fine for me. It breaks apart into an easy carry length.
cauldron wrote:I would be tempted to blow the budget and have a Poly Choke put on it.
Cannot wait to see the gun when it's finished!
I have started work on it, so far it's just cleaning in internals and marking where to cut the barrel. I hope to have it done in a month or close to.
"Gulo Gulae!"

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 12210
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:06 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Re: Reparing a Single Shot Rossi/Apocalypse Shotgun

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:52 am

Red Dawn wrote:
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:A decent smith could thread it for chokes.
I'm not interested in chokes. This is going to be a wasteland blunderbuss. As for the length I've successfully hunted Rabbits and Doves with my other shotgun cut down to 18.2 inches. The range is limited but that's fine for me. It breaks apart into an easy carry length.
I understand. I have a side-by-side that's getting beercan handguard and the whole 9 yards. Still trying to figure out a better sidesaddle. Definitely doing the seatbelt sling and probably a boot-sole recoil pad.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
Image
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

User avatar
Red Dawn
* *
Posts: 224
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:03 pm
Location: Salt Lake City

Re: Reparing a Single Shot Rossi/Apocalypse Shotgun

Post by Red Dawn » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:58 am

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
Red Dawn wrote:
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:A decent smith could thread it for chokes.
I'm not interested in chokes. This is going to be a wasteland blunderbuss. As for the length I've successfully hunted Rabbits and Doves with my other shotgun cut down to 18.2 inches. The range is limited but that's fine for me. It breaks apart into an easy carry length.
I understand. I have a side-by-side that's getting beercan handguard and the whole 9 yards. Still trying to figure out a better sidesaddle. Definitely doing the seatbelt sling and probably a boot-sole recoil pad.
Booyah. I tried looking for a SxS for years to do this to but I never found anything under two hundred dollars and I did not want to cut up something that costs a couple bills.I am pretty much going to make a second, I think I'll use the seatbelt sling for that one.
"Gulo Gulae!"

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 12210
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:06 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Re: Reparing a Single Shot Rossi/Apocalypse Shotgun

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:04 am

Heh. Guy walked up to my table at a gun show with one. I recognized the brand and said asked him how much. I traded him some swag and cash, cost me less than two bills all told.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
Image
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

User avatar
MacAttack
* * * * *
Posts: 2992
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:11 am

Re: Reparing a Single Shot Rossi/Apocalypse Shotgun

Post by MacAttack » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:42 pm

Red Dawn wrote:
MacAttack wrote:But its a .410.
I don't know why people think I said it's a .410, it's a 12 gauge.

My mistake. Crossing up threads in my head.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 12210
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:06 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Re: Reparing a Single Shot Rossi/Apocalypse Shotgun

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:29 am

Anyone got a preferred self-eteching primer? About to be done stripping this shotgat.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
Image
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

User avatar
MacAttack
* * * * *
Posts: 2992
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:11 am

Re: Reparing a Single Shot Rossi/Apocalypse Shotgun

Post by MacAttack » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:10 am

As with all paints, find something similar to test the primer on. You might not like the product. Or it might not like the material your trying it on.
Also test the finish paint you will be using on the primer also.

http://www.seymourpaint.com/pbe_primers.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But really any of them should be good.

User avatar
brothaman
* * * * *
Posts: 1041
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:40 pm
Location: SC

Re: Reparing a Single Shot Rossi/Apocalypse Shotgun

Post by brothaman » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:29 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:Anyone got a preferred self-eteching primer? About to be done stripping this shotgat.
I only ever used the stuff on auto paint and body, but this is what I like.
Dupont Variprime 615s Ain't cheap. 2nd choice. Kirker Zinc Etch. Cheap Enough. I like it, too.
It stops being funny when it starts being you.

User avatar
SIX20
*
Posts: 42
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:21 am
Location: Las Vegas, NV

Re: Reparing a Single Shot Rossi/Apocalypse Shotgun

Post by SIX20 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:55 pm

anyone know where i can find more examples of this style of gun mods?
Image

rustypipes
*
Posts: 39
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:20 pm

Re: Reparing a Single Shot Rossi/Apocalypse Shotgun

Post by rustypipes » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:34 pm

Image
You can make a use able pistol grip and recoil is not bad in 12 ga.

User avatar
velojym
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 2823
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:57 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido
Location: Alabama

Re: Reparing a Single Shot Rossi/Apocalypse Shotgun

Post by velojym » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:43 pm

Hmm. I don't do much with my Pardner, but I like having it handy, just in case. Wonder what a Wastelander scabbard would cost for this...
If not with chap leather, I could see even rigging a denim pant leg for the job, reinforced where necessary.
I'd love to do something like this, if only as a novelty. Besides, it's my truck gun and could stand to be shortened, and I'd be even less worried about dinging the finish if it were already "banged" up.
While folks can argue back and forth about what new-fangled gat is absolutely best for every occasion, it's hard to beat the versatility of one of these things, especially with a few adapters and/or further ingenuity.
How about using 'er as a frontstuffer?



Honestly, if I had spent cases and primers, I'd probably rather just reload the shells with the powder/wads/shot and have 'em ready to pop in like the gun is designed to do, but I still like the idea.
Wouldn't it be great if all wars could be fought just by the assholes who started them?
-The Postman

User avatar
Red Dawn
* *
Posts: 224
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:03 pm
Location: Salt Lake City

Re: Reparing a Single Shot Rossi/Apocalypse Shotgun

Post by Red Dawn » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:07 am

rustypipes wrote:Image
You can make a use able pistol grip and recoil is not bad in 12 ga.
Damn it I already bought the pouch... I may work with something like this though. This looks really cool and I could hang the sling off the grip.
velojym wrote:Hmm. I don't do much with my Pardner, but I like having it handy, just in case. Wonder what a Wastelander scabbard would cost for this...
If not with chap leather, I could see even rigging a denim pant leg for the job, reinforced where necessary.
I'd love to do something like this, if only as a novelty. Besides, it's my truck gun and could stand to be shortened, and I'd be even less worried about dinging the finish if it were already "banged" up.
While folks can argue back and forth about what new-fangled gat is absolutely best for every occasion, it's hard to beat the versatility of one of these things, especially with a few adapters and/or further ingenuity.
How about using 'er as a frontstuffer?



Honestly, if I had spent cases and primers, I'd probably rather just reload the shells with the powder/wads/shot and have 'em ready to pop in like the gun is designed to do, but I still like the idea.
Dave's long been one of my inspirations on survival gear and the like. I love his muzzleloading 12gauge setup and I have several high brass ends to use with mine if the need arises. He's one of the great guys that offers survival and hunting alternatives for cheap and goes into depth. There are others of course but none quite as awesome as Dave.
"Gulo Gulae!"

User avatar
velojym
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 2823
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:57 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido
Location: Alabama

Re: Reparing a Single Shot Rossi/Apocalypse Shotgun

Post by velojym » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:09 pm

I was looking at rifled inserts for mine, maybe a whole kit so it would serve as a backup arm for all my calibers, and wondered about sights. Sure, I could (and probably will) rig up a ghost ring sight, but I also wonder how well an inexpensive laser pointer would hold up if I mounted it in a recess (or a hole) in the forearm. I like the idea of a barrel clamp for a 1" flashlight, especially if it can be easily removed, too.
Wouldn't it be great if all wars could be fought just by the assholes who started them?
-The Postman

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 12210
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:06 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Re: Reparing a Single Shot Rossi/Apocalypse Shotgun

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:21 pm

Seevral companies make decent "rifle sights" (3 dot) but I'm not sure how much adjuestment they hand, since they're generally designed for slugs.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
Image
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

User avatar
Red Dawn
* *
Posts: 224
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:03 pm
Location: Salt Lake City

Re: Reparing a Single Shot Rossi/Apocalypse Shotgun

Post by Red Dawn » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:56 am

velojym wrote:I was looking at rifled inserts for mine, maybe a whole kit so it would serve as a backup arm for all my calibers, and wondered about sights. Sure, I could (and probably will) rig up a ghost ring sight, but I also wonder how well an inexpensive laser pointer would hold up if I mounted it in a recess (or a hole) in the forearm. I like the idea of a barrel clamp for a 1" flashlight, especially if it can be easily removed, too.
There are options available for lasers. Something like this http://www.amazon.com/Laserlyte-Shotgun ... B0041FPG40" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or another where they just have the mount on a laser meant to go over a shotgun barrel. I thought about rigging up a ghost ring. I think by now I'm probably not cutting the barrel and just keeping it full length. I'm still in pre cut stage waiting for two more items to show up before I start final construction on it.
"Gulo Gulae!"

User avatar
velojym
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 2823
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:57 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido
Location: Alabama

Re: Reparing a Single Shot Rossi/Apocalypse Shotgun

Post by velojym » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:46 am

While I haven't really finalized what I want to do with the single in the end, I'm thinking I want to keep a simple profile, to make it easy to scabbard. I'll want a sight setup to aim my solid projectiles from the adapters. Hopefully they'll at least hold minute-of-BG at 20-30 yards or so.
Up front, I want something low profile that won't snag on the scabbard.

I also have a model 67 Springfield pump 12ga which I plan on cutting down to about 20", and I have no problem hanging a few accessories off of that.
Wouldn't it be great if all wars could be fought just by the assholes who started them?
-The Postman

User avatar
mzmadmike
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Posts: 1331
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:46 pm
Location: In a well-equipped suburban bunker
Contact:

Re: Reparing a Single Shot Rossi/Apocalypse Shotgun

Post by mzmadmike » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:39 pm

Image

That's about as short as you can go.
A LONG TIME UNTIL NOW (paperback edition), Jul 2016 from Baen Books
ANGELEYES, Nov 2016 from Baen Books

http://www.MichaelZWilliamson.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.SharpPointyThings.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Custom, antique and commercial blades

User avatar
Red Dawn
* *
Posts: 224
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:03 pm
Location: Salt Lake City

Re: Reparing a Single Shot Rossi/Apocalypse Shotgun

Post by Red Dawn » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:43 pm

Here's an update on the Apocalypse Shotgun. Please forgive the cell pics, my SD card for my good camera won't work and I have yet to buy another.

This project is not complete, I have yet to do the butt plate or really rough it up but so far its coming together nicely. The gun fires, the sling works and the ammo pouch holds 7 rounds of 12 gauge. The pin on the pouch is actually a 7.62x54r cartridge that was made as a keychain. It fits perfectly to keep it closed and adds some interesting looks. The grip is wrapped in athletic tape. The pouch is held on with bailing wire and the front guard with hose clamps. I have some liver of sulfur to give it patina and I am going to use some heavy grit sandpaper to rough up the wood. Most of these pics were taken upside down so they shadows look odd.

Image

Image

The name here means Downfall or Fallen or Falling down depending on how it goes. Padeniye. It's carved with a Mora knife and for the camera highlighted with purple sharpie. That will be worn off later. Here you can also see where I tried drilling holes on a slant to give the wire a minimal section on this left side of the stock but it wouldn't bend enough to go through so I had to drill straight across.
Image

7.62x54r round as the closing pin
Image

7 rounds of S&B 00 Buck 12 pellet
Image

So far it's coming together nicely. I tried hand sewing the ends of the karate belt sling and I broke several needles because it's so thick with the foam inside. It does make a good sling though. I'll be dirtying it up and I may eventually cut down the barrel. I've decided against it for the time being because I could not really find a muzzle break I liked very much.
"Gulo Gulae!"

User avatar
mzmadmike
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Posts: 1331
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:46 pm
Location: In a well-equipped suburban bunker
Contact:

Re: Reparing a Single Shot Rossi/Apocalypse Shotgun

Post by mzmadmike » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:47 pm

Looking good. Try some distant sandblasting--far side of a cabinet--for some windworn distressing.

You can also carve recesses for the wire so it stays flush.

Of course, by "looking good" I mean "looking like it's been through a war."
A LONG TIME UNTIL NOW (paperback edition), Jul 2016 from Baen Books
ANGELEYES, Nov 2016 from Baen Books

http://www.MichaelZWilliamson.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.SharpPointyThings.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Custom, antique and commercial blades

User avatar
Red Dawn
* *
Posts: 224
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:03 pm
Location: Salt Lake City

Re: Reparing a Single Shot Rossi/Apocalypse Shotgun

Post by Red Dawn » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:31 am

mzmadmike wrote:Looking good. Try some distant sandblasting--far side of a cabinet--for some windworn distressing.

You can also carve recesses for the wire so it stays flush.

Of course, by "looking good" I mean "looking like it's been through a war."
I thought about recessing the wire and decided against it because it's suppose to look like someone did not have enough resources to really make it nice. The wire sticking out does not interfere, the ammo pouch slightly does. Its about a quarter inch too far forward but with gloves on I don't feel it digging into my wrist. I'm just going to leave it as is on that part. The sand blasting I don't have anything to do it with so instead coarse sandpaper and deep grooves. I want it rusty, scratched and awesome. Need to take some used oil and cover parts of the sling in it with dirt.
"Gulo Gulae!"

User avatar
mzmadmike
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Posts: 1331
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:46 pm
Location: In a well-equipped suburban bunker
Contact:

Re: Reparing a Single Shot Rossi/Apocalypse Shotgun

Post by mzmadmike » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:00 am

Sure, but in the PAW, no TV or Facebook. Lots of time in the evening to gouge recesses using a nail.

I'd use very fine sandpaper, not coarse. It doesn't take much to give it that windworn look. If you want some dings, stick a cork in the muzzle and toss it around the yard for a few minutes.
A LONG TIME UNTIL NOW (paperback edition), Jul 2016 from Baen Books
ANGELEYES, Nov 2016 from Baen Books

http://www.MichaelZWilliamson.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.SharpPointyThings.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Custom, antique and commercial blades

Post Reply

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”