shortening shotgun barrel question

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

m249saw

shortening shotgun barrel question

Post by m249saw » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:40 am

i have a remington sportsman 12 gauge with a 26 inch full choke barrel. how far can i cut the barrel back before it becames completely useless past 25 yards
Last edited by m249saw on Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: shortening shotgun barrel question

Post by Dave_M » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:46 am

m249saw wrote:i have a remington sportsman 12 gauge with a 26 inch full choke barrel. how far can i cut the barrel back it becames completely useless past 25 yards
Define, 'useless'. What are you going to use it for?
Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.
Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

m249saw

Post by m249saw » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:05 am

i use it for hunting . the barrel is very constrictive as to how i can manuver when i get into more brushy areas. also as a hd shotgun

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:29 am

If I were stuck with a shotty for HD I would purchase an 18" barrel, not cut down an existing barrel.

They don't cost too much
Dave Merrill

Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

m249saw

Post by m249saw » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:33 am

none of the existing barrels for the remington 1100 or 11-87 are compatible with my shotgun. it is a remington sportsman i have already explored the option of another barrel. sorry if im coming across as arrogant that is not my intent

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:39 am

m249saw wrote:none of the existing barrels for the remington 1100 or 11-87 are compatible with my shotgun. it is a remington sportsman i have already explored the option of another barrel. sorry if im coming across as arrogant that is not my intent
Which model of Sportsman? 11-48?
Dave Merrill

JTNieman

Post by JTNieman » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:39 am

m249saw wrote:i use it for hunting . the barrel is very constrictive as to how i can manuver when i get into more brushy areas. also as a hd shotgun
Birds? Deer? Rifled or smooth bore?

By cutting the barrel down, you're going to lose your ability to use chokes, unless you have someone competent rethread the barrel inside. That will affect your patterning, which will really effect your performance from the duck blind or turkey spot.

Honestly unless you get a barrel with chokes, you're not going to see near the performance of your full-choke barrel.

Here's a list of your choke sizes. The barrel bore itself will be about 0.725, while full choke constricts it down to 0.694" - http://www.colonialarms.com/chokespecs.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So chopping it down without threading it for chokes will mean you're shooting bore, which will be a spread pattern for shot, and probably buck. If you're using rifled slugs in a smooth bore, they're usually designed to work best in Improved, from my experience. The last rifled slugs I shot were Remington Sluggers and those claim to pattern best using Improved Cyl, I believe. Memory might be fuzzy on that.

Often times it's easier to buy the barrel you want. When you take it hunting, put the hunting barrel on it. When you keep it in the house, put the HD barrel back on it.
Oh... I thought you'd be able to just get an 11-87 barrel... my bad.

m249saw

Post by m249saw » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:42 am

i think so. it does not say 11-48 or 11-47 on the barrel all it says is sportsman. the reciever is rounded

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:45 am

Regardless, barrels are available. Google gave me this
http://www.corsonsbarrels.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sportsman's barrels are available in many models and configurations. If it's an 11-48, a 22" barrel is $210.
Dave Merrill

m249saw

Post by m249saw » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:47 am

i use it for squirrel hunting. its a bit overkill i know but its what i have

m249saw

Post by m249saw » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:48 am

thank you i did not know that there were barrels available. my google fu is lacking

Illini Warrior
BANNED

Post by Illini Warrior » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:52 pm

if your barrel is in good shape, you might be able to do an even up swap ....
Illini Warrior

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:47 pm

m249saw wrote:thank you i did not know that there were barrels available. my google fu is lacking
You also might consider a poly choke. I find they work well on my 20 inch barreled 870.

http://www.poly-choke.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

theswampthing

Post by theswampthing » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:11 pm

As an avid hunter, my advise to you is to buy a used Mossberg 500 or 535 turkey gun. They have the short barrel you're looking for, screw in choke tunes, and will most likely accept 3" shells. You should be able to find a nice one for around 250 bucks, give or take some.

I say this because when you cut the fixed choke off your Remmy, you will be left with an open bore cylinder. This won't throw a very good pattern. It might be alright for grouse, but that's about it. You can cut the barrel and sent it to Briley to have screw in choke tubes installed, but that will be around 3 bills if I remember correctly, and if the barrel is thick enough.

If it's a Sportsman 58, you can use a 12 gauge 870 barrel after having a gas port drilled in it by a gunsmith. That might not be a bad option as well. I just don't think you will be happy if you cut the barrel and leave a open cylinder.

The poly choke is another option, like was said, although I don't like them myself.

Also for skwerls, a NEF 12 single with a full choke will put plenty of meat in the stew pot for like 90 bucks used.

Just my .02

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”