Defensive longarm for a homestead in Alaska

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

azrael99
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, 28 days later, Zombieland, World war Z (when it gonna be out)

Re: Defensive longarm for a homestead in Alaska EDIT: Vepr .

Post by azrael99 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:30 am

i know for a fact that Canadian Rangers actually used until recently lee-enfield in 303 british ,

it still a heavy rifle but strong and highly reliable, the 303 got a nice punch and got a quite good accuracy and also the fasted bolt action ever made with high fast fire accuracy

tell me that beast ain't a mighty choice.

"We stopped to look for monster under the bed , the day we realized that they were inside us"

quazi

Post by quazi » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:10 pm

A Lee-Enfield is definitely cool. It's pretty high on my want list, but I don't think it's what I'm looking for when it comes to this role.

Centerfire Systems called me today to clarify something before processing my order. I told them to go ahead and cancel it. This isn't because I had a bad experience with them, but because I just don't want to mess around with the rifle if it's going to mess up the brass.

azrael99
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, 28 days later, Zombieland, World war Z (when it gonna be out)

Post by azrael99 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:19 pm

and what about a full stock mares leg ?

start with that

end with that

with a 44 magnum that would be more than enough, except if you think a Grizzly could get in you house.
"We stopped to look for monster under the bed , the day we realized that they were inside us"

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:24 pm

azrael99 wrote:i know for a fact that Canadian Rangers actually used until recently lee-enfield in 303 british ,

it still a heavy rifle but strong and highly reliable, the 303 got a nice punch and got a quite good accuracy and also the fasted bolt action ever made with high fast fire accuracy

tell me that beast ain't a mighty choice.

The Para-Rescue techs of the CFSAR (Canadian Forces Search and Rescue) use a 14.5" barreled, folding stock Ruger 77 in .30-06 for dangerous mega-fauna:

whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

azrael99

Post by azrael99 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:28 pm

it actually a neat rifle !!

i guessed they probably didn't use only one model , but they used the lee enfield for a long time until recently

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:45 pm

azrael99 wrote:and what about a full stock mares leg ?

start with that

end with that

with a 44 magnum that would be more than enough, except if you think a Grizzly could get in you house.
Putting a stock on a pistol is an SBR in the US, complete with the current 12mo wait, $200 stamp, and all the other fun that comes with it, and you're still only getting six shots.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

azrael99

Post by azrael99 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:52 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
azrael99 wrote:and what about a full stock mares leg ?

start with that

end with that

Putting a stock on a pistol is an SBR in the US, complete with the current 12mo wait, $200 stamp, and all the other fun that comes with it, and you're still only getting six shots.

well sorry then, here it 100% legal

quazi

Post by quazi » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:59 am

azrael99 wrote:with a 44 magnum that would be more than enough, except if you think a Grizzly could get in you house.
Bears frequently try to get into houses and sometimes succeed. Usually it happens when people are away, but not always.

If a building is solidly constructed it usually isn't a problem, but if a bear can get its claws in and is determined they can tear right through a pretty sturdy structure. I'm sure it depends on how hungry the bear is and how tempting what's inside is. Our chicken coop and corral are fairly skookum, and bears seem to say "fuck that" and either go for the feed barrel or pass on by.

A lot of times they'll spend some time circling around a place looking for a way in (and just generally investigating, bears are curious). I don't know how many times I was woken up as a kid by the sound of claws on glass.

Usually they get in when a door or window isn't latched. That's how a grizzly and two cubs got into my grandma's house this summer (that was the second time my mom kicked a bear in the ass :lol:).

This happened at a place I've worked before, and where my mother still works on occasion: Bear invades Trapper Creek pizzeria, spills beer everywhere
(The summer of 2010 was unusually bad. There were many more incidents than the ones listed in the article. One or two bears causing trouble during a summer is pretty normal, but for some reason there were scads of them that year.)
Last edited by quazi on Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

quazi

Post by quazi » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:01 am

I haven't totally written off a PCC in 10mm.

400 Grains

Post by 400 Grains » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:55 pm

quazi wrote:I haven't totally written off a PCC in 10mm.
If you're going to use a handgun round in a carbine, I'd skip the 10mm and go with something in .44 Mag for your use. While a lot of guys think their 10mm is a Grizzly killer supreme, (often with entirely inappropriate ammunition to boot), even a .44 Mag is a mediocre round for the job.

Valarius
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead and many of Romero's films.

Re: Defensive longarm for a homestead in Alaska

Post by Valarius » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:56 pm

Having lived in Fairbanks for a year, you will need a gun that can bring down a moose and any wild dogs. If you plan on living anywhere other than directly downtown, you should also get a pistol for carry, because wildlife does come up to people's houses and you won't lug a shotgun or rifle everywhere you go. Either way, the best defensiveness is identifying and avoiding dangerous situations.
See you around, HK. And remember folks: victory is surviving to watch another sunrise.

My female avatar is Saeko Busujima from High School Of The Dead. I'm a dude. :mrgreen:

Homeless survival techniques.

quazi

Post by quazi » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:00 pm

400 Grains wrote:
quazi wrote:I haven't totally written off a PCC in 10mm.
If you're going to use a handgun round in a carbine, I'd skip the 10mm and go with something in .44 Mag for your use. While a lot of guys think their 10mm is a Grizzly killer supreme, (often with entirely inappropriate ammunition to boot), even a .44 Mag is a mediocre round for the job.
Sorry, I should have specified that it wouldn't replace a .308 or shotgun when the bears are around. I want a carbine, but don't really need one.

Here's my thought process:
If I decide to go with a shotgun for the summer months I'll most likely get an AR in .223 (I'd like at least one semi-auto in an actual rifle cartridge).
If I get a semi-auto .308 then I might put together a 10mm PCC (same cartridge and mags as my handgun, plus I might be able to get it under 4 lbs).

As far as my 10mm pistol goes, my thinking was along the same lines as getting the semi-auto .308. It might not be as good for defense against humans as a 9mm (IMO), or as good for defense against bears as a .44 mag (again, IMO) but it's a good option when you don't know what you're going to run into. Sometimes I worry that I'm getting the worst of both worlds by trying to use one cartridge for everything, but on the other hand I figure that on a limited budget I'd rather do most of my practicing with one handgun rather than split it between two radically different ones.
(BTW my bear load is going to be heavy, hard cast flat nosed like these once I can get my hands on a LWD 6" barrel.)
Valarius wrote:Having lived in Fairbanks for a year, you will need a gun that can bring down a moose and any wild dogs. If you plan on living anywhere other than directly downtown, you should also get a pistol for carry, because wildlife does come up to people's houses and you won't lug a shotgun or rifle everywhere you go. Either way, the best defensiveness is identifying and avoiding dangerous situations.
If I was planning to stay in Fairbanks I'd get an AR in 5.56, trade in my 10mm for a 9mm and get an inexpensive shotgun for camping. I don't live right in downtown Fairbanks, but I am in town and I only see moose a few times a year. There are a lot of dogs in my neighborhood, but they all seem pretty well behaved. There is one massive one that scares me a bit, but he's pretty good about staying in his yard. Unfortunately I'm not allowed to carry a firearm at work.

Kutter_0311
Favorite Zombie Movies: too many to get into...

Post by Kutter_0311 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:23 pm

I still want the link for the VEPR. Who cares about dinged brass? Not me, at least not yet LOL
JAYNE COBB wrote: Well, what you plan and what takes place ain't ever exactly been similar.
TravisM.1 wrote:If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.
minengr wrote:I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

quazi

Post by quazi » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:06 pm

Kutter_0311
Favorite Zombie Movies: too many to get into...

Post by Kutter_0311 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:55 pm

Yeah, sorry, saw it after I posted. Hate doing this ons phone...
JAYNE COBB wrote: Well, what you plan and what takes place ain't ever exactly been similar.
TravisM.1 wrote:If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.
minengr wrote:I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

Captain Hero

Post by Captain Hero » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:52 am

Kutter_0311 wrote:I still want the link for the VEPR. Who cares about dinged brass? Not me, at least not yet LOL
Vepr rifles are hard to beat.
If you live nothing, you are nothing

gundogs

Post by gundogs » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:42 am

A friend was stationed in AK and killed a 660lb Brown and 2 Moose with a Mod 70 in 300WM

Browning 35
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004).
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Omega Man

Post by Browning 35 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:53 pm

gundogs wrote:A friend was stationed in AK and killed a 660lb Brown and 2 Moose with a Mod 70 in 300WM
That's pretty much my F-I-L's go to rifle for almost everything except in Africa. Just a standard run of the mill Browning A-Bolt. He's put in a lot of work with it though. Roughly a dozen bears (half black bear, a few brown, couple grizzly and a polar bear).

Here are some of them...

That's my wife in the center (she's not stuffed). Something to be said for it. Good caliber. My hunting has all been in the lower 48 and there's not much use for mag calibers here. The deer are the size of Great Danes, not small trucks. Supposed to go next year, probably just use a 30-06 with 180 gr loads.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote:Why do you want to shoot penguins? What did they ever do to you?
It's that smug, superior attitude of theirs, strutting around in their fancy outfits like they're better than everyone else. Yeah, burn in hell, you snobbish bird bastards.

And don't get me started on pandas!

Peas

Post by Peas » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:45 am

First post, mainly because I finally felt I may be able to contribute. Honestly, after reading the thread (maybe not extremely closely) I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the good 'ole M1 Garand. 8 rounds of semi-automatic 30-06. Was a proven battle weapon in WWII as well as a round that has been used by hunters for a good while now. While not on the size or power level of .375 H&H and some other cartridges mentioned, it's still a wonderful round. I don't need to advertise 30-06, I don't think. The rifle is going to be a bit heavier than an AR-10 platform, but it should still be comparable to a fully kitted out AR. If the weight is too much of an issue, there are other options with smaller capacities, like the BAR mentioned previously.

However, some quick looking on Remington's page led me to the Remington Model 750. The 750 is $884 MSRP and extended 10 round magazines can be bought from Brownells for $38 each. Remington has the weight listed as 7.25-7.5lbs. Note: I have zero experience with this rifle and reviews aren't all that enthusiastic. I love my 7600, but have never shot a 750. Just wanted to point out that there are price comparable semi-automatics in larger calibers than .308, so long as you are willing to sacrifice some capacity. Don't take this as a recommendation of these weapons, but as a different direction that you could look in.

gundogs

Post by gundogs » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:20 am

Peas wrote:First post, mainly because I finally felt I may be able to contribute. Honestly, after reading the thread (maybe not extremely closely) I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the good 'ole M1 Garand. 8 rounds of semi-automatic 30-06. Was a proven battle weapon in WWII as well as a round that has been used by hunters for a good while now. While not on the size or power level of .375 H&H and some other cartridges mentioned, it's still a wonderful round. I don't need to advertise 30-06, I don't think. The rifle is going to be a bit heavier than an AR-10 platform, but it should still be comparable to a fully kitted out AR. If the weight is too much of an issue, there are other options with smaller capacities, like the BAR mentioned previously.

However, some quick looking on Remington's page led me to the Remington Model 750. The 750 is $884 MSRP and extended 10 round magazines can be bought from Brownells for $38 each. Remington has the weight listed as 7.25-7.5lbs. Note: I have zero experience with this rifle and reviews aren't all that enthusiastic. I love my 7600, but have never shot a 750. Just wanted to point out that there are price comparable semi-automatics in larger calibers than .308, so long as you are willing to sacrifice some capacity. Don't take this as a recommendation of these weapons, but as a different direction that you could look in.
Semis are subject to jamming in extreme cold

Peas

Post by Peas » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:02 pm

I'm trying to choose between shotgun, semi-auto rifle in an intermediate cartridge and semi-auto rifle in a full-power cartridge for a defensive longarm. I'm also interested in various options within each category.
From the OP.

gundogs

Post by gundogs » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:07 pm

Peas wrote:
I'm trying to choose between shotgun, semi-auto rifle in an intermediate cartridge and semi-auto rifle in a full-power cartridge for a defensive longarm. I'm also interested in various options within each category.
From the OP.
I know---just pointing out something based on my own experiences with semis when it's 20 below

charlie fox

Post by charlie fox » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:52 pm

My choices would be an FN-FAL or an M1A, in that order. Both weapons are proven designs, both in 7.62mm for good range and terminal power, both are semi-automatic and magazine fed for quick follow up shots and reloads if necessary, and both are very manageable to shoot. Another good point is that both have shorter barrel versions for better portability. Good luck!
"Lawyers, Guns and Money"

"Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you."

Captain Hero

Post by Captain Hero » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:50 pm

You can come out cheaper with a Vepr in .308 or x54R, and have the proven design of the AK, with all the perks of a semi auto and proven calibers.
If you live nothing, you are nothing

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”