Good long range, large caliber rifle.

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

abelru

Re: Good long range, large caliber rifle.

Post by abelru » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:08 pm

Precision long range shooting is a money pit, to be sure.

At a minimum, a sub-minute, sub$1k rifle with optic (bare bones) puts you at $1,000 without much left for anything else.
If you plan on hitting your fabled 1,000 yrd target, you really do need to be shooting match ammo.
Federal gold medal match runs ~$20/box or $1/round. It's not cheap, and as it has been said already, you need to shoot a fair bit if you want to become proficient.

One suggestion I have which I don't think has been mentioned before is to pick up a .22 trainer.
I put well over 2x the number of rounds through my MKII that I do through my .308. I practice positional shooting, breathing, trigger press, follow-through, etc with my .22. Since I began doing this on a more regular basis, I have noticed my .308 groups tighten up considerably, and I consistently ping steel at distance without too much difficulty, while shooting much less of the pricey/time consuming stuff (I reload).

Sooooo.....
Get a decent .22 bolt gun (cz or savage MKII) for $300-$400. Put the cheapest scope on it you can find.
Shoot the shit out of it and get good. Meantime, save up your pennies and try to come into a .308 with more like $2,000. You will ultimately be much happier with your rifle.

Conversely, if you wind up disliking the precision game entirely, you're only out a few hundred as opposed to 1,000.
Orbes volantes exstare!!!

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by 91Eunozs » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:12 pm

Zombie309 wrote:
Spd164 wrote:Define: long range.

Define: decent caliber.

What your intended use of the rifle in question would be is also helpful info.

Not knowing any of that I'd tentatively recommend a Remington 700 in .308 simply because the availability of parts and loading data are second to none and you could theoretically build off that platform for just about any common useage.
Long range...the ability to fire up to a mile, large caliber...something that could take a human out at that distance. I've heard a lot of good things about that 700, I'll research it.

Probably already answered but you're not gonna do it under $1K. Having been marginally trained to shoot moderately accurately at 1/2 that distance, I can honestly say you won't get the optics or the training for under $1K.

If you can already shoot well enough to hit targets at a mile then you should already know you aren't going to find the optics, let alone a rifle that can exploit that range for under $1K.

Edit: Just read the rest of the thread... Same goes for truly accurate shooting at 1K meters (or 1K yards). Spend your $1K on a 20+" upper with decent optics for your AR, practice until you can hit consistently out beyond 500m and then reassess your goals.
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

ZombieSoldier01
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ZombieSoldier01 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:48 am

Honestly I don't see the need to really shot anything from a mile away in the civilian side of the world. Too much room for error and collateral damages. Now for my scouts, that's a different story. But not for civilians. That's just my opinion... What do I know? :crazy:
2008 F-250 6.4 Powerstroke -Zombie Squad fleet number ZS0149
Owner of Zombie Diesel Performance
"Zombies... Coming to eat a friend near you.."

JTNieman

Post by JTNieman » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:07 am

ZombieSoldier01 wrote:Honestly I don't see the need to really shot anything from a mile away in the civilian side of the world. Too much room for error and collateral damages. Now for my scouts, that's a different story. But not for civilians. That's just my opinion... What do I know? :crazy:
Don't need a reason.

There are reasons, but it's irrelevant.

Not to say "a mile" matters, but long range shooting is pretty important to animal harvesting in many areas.

ZombieSoldier01
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ZombieSoldier01 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:39 am

while the long distance hunting is a viable reason, i am not a fan. but thats just me.

fair enough, carry on.

CaptTurtle

Post by CaptTurtle » Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:19 pm

i was lucky enough to get a hold of a M1 Garand 30-06 rifle from my grandfather he used it during WW2 . if you want a good quality long range rifle theres your answer. able to reach out and touch somebody at 750 to 1000 yards. little on the on the pricier side if you buy them new around $1200 to $1500 but is are well worth it. easy to clean easy to handle and very very well built. buta M 14 or other sort of battle rifle such as an M417 or SKS would be very good and probably cheaper too.
Your friendly neighborhood turtle

Unorthodox
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Unorthodox » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:29 pm

ZombieSoldier01 wrote:Honestly I don't see the need to really shot anything from a mile away in the civilian side of the world.
How about to say you can? Some people enjoy the challenge, why the hell do they need a reason?
ImageImage
I load my gatteries in my assault clips for my AR-15 battle rifle. | Avatar By Nyssa

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Re: Re: Good long range, large caliber rifle.

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:46 pm

Unorthodox wrote:
ZombieSoldier01 wrote:Honestly I don't see the need to really shot anything from a mile away in the civilian side of the world.
How about to say you can? Some people enjoy the challenge, why the hell do they need a reason?
Incase of bear cavalry, which is why I recommend a Barrett.

~sent via spacearmadillogram~
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

400 Grains

Post by 400 Grains » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:18 pm

CaptTurtle wrote:i was lucky enough to get a hold of a M1 Garand 30-06 rifle from my grandfather he used it during WW2 . if you want a good quality long range rifle theres your answer. able to reach out and touch somebody at 750 to 1000 yards. little on the on the pricier side if you buy them new around $1200 to $1500 but is are well worth it. easy to clean easy to handle and very very well built. buta M 14 or other sort of battle rifle such as an M417 or SKS would be very good and probably cheaper too.
If you think a Garand, an M14, a 417 and an SKS, are all long range rifles, you need to do some serious studying off the Xbox...

jethroUSMC

Post by jethroUSMC » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:00 pm

Zombie309 wrote:

Not knowing any of that I'd tentatively recommend a Remington 700 in .308 simply because the availability of parts and loading data are second to none and you could theoretically build off that platform for just about any common useage.
Long range...the ability to fire up to a mile, large caliber...something that could take a human out at that distance. I've heard a lot of good things about that 700, I'll research it.
Up to a mile effectively and your at minimum shooting a .300 Win Mag with heavy projos, like 210-240's but that's pushing it, especially in El Paso which does not have high altitude on its side.

True minimum would be something along the lines of .338LM, .338 Norma Mag or more. These have expensive components: brass, bullets and can eat the throat in a barrel if you run them hot and hard. Factory Fodder in .338LM runs from $5.50 to over $7 every time you press the trigger, the others aren't much cheaper unless you reload.

Also unless you have regular access to a range to shoot at least 1500 yds to 1+ mile(s) you're wasting your money and time although it's fun trying as long as you're following safety rules.

With that said it takes a good bit of practice to shoot well once you step beyond 800yds, then another step of a learning curve just over 1K and then every 50-100 yards from there gets trickier- not elevation, reading and making good wind calls.

What's the furthest distance you've ever shot to successfully engage a target? If it's less than 1K then you need to be in the .308 family of calibers and take some quality instruction to learn the fundamentals of marksmanship then start looking to push out further.

DarkGhost
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by DarkGhost » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:08 pm

jethroUSMC wrote:
Zombie309 wrote:

Up to a mile effectively and your at minimum shooting a .300 Win Mag with heavy projos, like 210-240's but that's pushing it, especially in El Paso which does not have high altitude on its side.

True minimum would be something along the lines of .338LM, .338 Norma Mag or more. These have expensive components: brass, bullets and can eat the throat in a barrel if you run them hot and hard. Factory Fodder in .338LM runs from $5.50 to over $7 every time you press the trigger, the others aren't much cheaper unless you reload.

Also unless you have regular access to a range to shoot at least 1500 yds to 1+ mile(s) you're wasting your money and time although it's fun trying as long as you're following safety rules.

With that said it takes a good bit of practice to shoot well once you step beyond 800yds, then another step of a learning curve just over 1K and then every 50-100 yards from there gets trickier- not elevation, reading and making good wind calls.

What's the furthest distance you've ever shot to successfully engage a target? If it's less than 1K then you need to be in the .308 family of calibers and take some quality instruction to learn the fundamentals of marksmanship then start looking to push out further.

^Truth
Vita brevis, Gloria aeterna

DarkGhost's Go Bag

ZombieSoldier01
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ZombieSoldier01 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:59 am

Exactly my point. Most people don't realize it that are on the civilian sector how far a mile really is, let alone what could go wrong, what has to be taken into account for. But of course the experts like to come off COD and play on ZS. ;)

JTNieman

Post by JTNieman » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:05 am

ZombieSoldier01 wrote:Exactly my point. Most people don't realize it that are on the civilian sector how far a mile really is, let alone what could go wrong, what has to be taken into account for. But of course the experts like to come off COD and play on ZS. ;)
How about you drop the condescension bullshit about "civilians" and shooting long distance? There's no need for some divisive "us" vs "them" bull crap.

You think the military invented long range shooting or something? Or that it's something only for the military, and anyone else who desires the skill is a Call of Duty reject?

Your opinion was stated that you don't think "we" should be shooting very long range. It was read. No one wishing to discuss the topic appears to care, as the discussion moved on. Let it go. It's an insanely hard skill and one that must be built up to. People accepted this and chose to go to an intermediate range, and tips for it. Discussion about the challenges arose... a good useful topic, then.

DarkGhost
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by DarkGhost » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:16 am

USMC M40A5
Caliber:
308 Win / 7.62 NATO
Action:
Remington 700 Short Action
Barrel Type:
Schneider 1-12 Twist, 6 Groove stainless steel
Barrel Length:
25" (24" from recoil lug)
Stock:
Adjustable McMillan A4, Spacer Sys, OD green
Trigger Guard:
Badger Ordnance M5 DBM with one 5rd magazine
Finish:
Matte Black

Remington 700 Short Action, Trued up with lugs lapped
Chambered in 308Win/7.62 Nato Match
Action slotted to USMC M40A3 Specs
Heavy ground recoil lug to Spec
USMC 30 MOA Lugged Base
25 inch USMC Spec. 1-12 twist, 6grove, Stainless barrel 1.200 for 4 inch straight taper to .920
Surefire Comp/Suppressor Adapter model MB762SSAL/RE
McMillan A4 Stock, Sniper Fill, Adjustable Saddle Cheek, Spacer System LOP adjustment, O.D. Green molded-in color.
1 Stud , 6 Flush Cups
PGW PVS-22 Night Vision Mount mounted in Stock
TIS Slip Cuff Contract Sling, Coyote Brown with Correct Swivels
7075 Alloy Pillar Bedded in Marinetex
Badger M5 DBM Trigger guard with one 5rd magazine
Badger Ordnance Steel Rings, USMC Spec 34mm
Remington trigger tuned to 2.5pounds .
Matte Black Finish
1/2 MOA Guarantee with Match Grade Ammunition.

$4200 with NO glass

Add a SB PMII "Military" Scope w/ Premier Reticle...add another $3500

It's just NOT gonna happen for 1k, no pissing contest, just fact. :words:

DarkGhost's Go Bag

DarkGhost
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by DarkGhost » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:20 am

And one last thing....338 Lapua

It's Lap- U- Ah...

Not La-poo-ah...

as in Lapua, Finland :mrgreen:

DarkGhost's Go Bag

Chris@MTCT

Good long range, large caliber rifle.

Post by Chris@MTCT » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:33 am

3000 meters or GTFO. ;)
sigboy40 wrote: I carry around magical kit faeries that keep all my stuff in place. This way I dont lose anything.
Instructor at Milcopp Tactical

CEO of http://movementtocontact.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Please also like us on Facebook!

Phoenix David
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: I am legend, Omega man

Post by Phoenix David » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:09 am

ZombieSoldier01 wrote:Exactly my point. Most people don't realize it that are on the civilian sector how far a mile really is, let alone what could go wrong, what has to be taken into account for. But of course the experts like to come off COD and play on ZS. ;)
I make 12,000 feet head shots all day long on COD with my M-4, so how hard can it be? :lol:
Nobody ever wishes they brought a smaller gun to a gun fight

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:20 am

Unorthodox wrote:
If I owned enough land where I can safely shoot long distance or if I went to a range where I could shoot at 1000 yard to 2000 yard ranges I would definately want to try the "Mile" shot. Unfortunately I'm in the Philly PA suburbs and it's next to impossible to find a range that you can shoot beyond 300 yards. I do laugh at people who say with their expensive rifle they can hit a target a mile away, but have no way of even attempting it. I envy those west of the Mississippi where this may not be an issue.

There are a few rifle that can do it, and like some others mentioned, a remington 700 in .308 would be the most economical starting point. However you can have a top of the line $5K sniper rifle and still have issues hitting the target, because you need practice and possibly training. Its like saying, what is the best running shoe for a marathon runner, or what is the best surf board for big waves. Just having those items doesn't mean anything, but if you are into it the training and build up to the point where you can surf well, when you complete your first marathon, or when you hit that target a mile away is a good feeling and a personal accomplishment.

Phoenix David
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: I am legend, Omega man

Post by Phoenix David » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:41 am

ZombieSoldier01 wrote:Honestly I don't see the need to really shot anything from a mile away in the civilian side of the world. Too much room for error and collateral damages. Now for my scouts, that's a different story. But not for civilians. That's just my opinion... What do I know? :crazy:
Why climb Everest? Why sky dive? Just to see if you can, a test of skill, something to learn, because this is America and you don't need a reason to want to do something legal. :D
Nobody ever wishes they brought a smaller gun to a gun fight

ZombieSoldier01
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ZombieSoldier01 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:04 pm

JTNieman wrote:
How about you drop the condescension bullshit about "civilians" and shooting long distance? There's no need for some divisive "us" vs "them" bull crap.

You think the military invented long range shooting or something? Or that it's something only for the military, and anyone else who desires the skill is a Call of Duty reject?

Your opinion was stated that you don't think "we" should be shooting very long range. It was read. No one wishing to discuss the topic appears to care, as the discussion moved on. Let it go. It's an insanely hard skill and one that must be built up to. People accepted this and chose to go to an intermediate range, and tips for it. Discussion about the challenges arose... a good useful topic, then.

ok well since you know it all. check it out. did you think of the legal ramnifications? tell me where is a legal 1+mile range? you are encouraging someone to do something that can get them in trouble. i am all for long distance shooting but talking about some of these distance is plain irresponsible. in 1 mile that round travels (the distance that seems to be talked about) a lot of things can enter its flight trajectory. anything from an animal, car, person, whatever. Last I looked talking about anything illegal being talked about on here was very much frowned upon.

I can understand there are certain areas of montana and wyoming that you can get away with shotting that distance but what about in Pennsylvania, or alabama, or wherever other readers other than the OP may reside. These people may not think about it, but should. next time instead of being an ass about what i am writing, think of the whole picture.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:33 pm

ZombieSoldier01 wrote:
JTNieman wrote:

ok well since you know it all. check it out. did you think of the legal ramnifications? tell me where is a legal 1+mile range? There are quite a number, on into the 2 and 3 mile ranges out West.
you are encouraging someone to do something that can get them in trouble.
No more than offroading is encouraging someone to do somethign that can get them in trouble, or modding a car. Stay within the law, there are no issues. Everyone here mentioned the safety and legal issues quite earl on.
i am all for long distance shooting but talking about some of these distance is plain irresponsible.
Bullshit. There is nothing irresponsible about saying "I'm bored. I'm gonna go to a place where it's safe and lega; and try to push myself out to 1300m today."
in 1 mile that round travels (the distance that seems to be talked about) a lot of things can enter its flight trajectory. anything from an animal, car, person, whatever.
Four fucking rules, DUH. Seriously dude. Seriously.
Last I looked talking about anything illegal being talked about on here was very much frowned upon.
This is why everyone mentioned the legal and safety issues.

I can understand there are certain areas of montana and wyoming that you can get away with shotting that distance but what about in Pennsylvania, or alabama, or wherever other readers other than the OP may reside. These people may not think about it, but should. next time instead of being an ass about what i am writing, think of the whole picture.
TL:DR Unbunch your panties and read the whole thread, where several people mentioned the range and safety issues, as well as legal issues. Also: drop the "these people are too dumb for guns" shit. I'm a vet too. Guess what? You are being an ass, and your shit reads like "civilians are too dumb for this." Guess what? I've worked with every branch except the Coasties, and the majority of the other soldiers/sailors/etc were absolute garbage with a firearm.

My suggestion is that you sign off for a bit, stop assuming everyone else on ZS is a moron (or just the ones who didn't enlist or whatever) and go have a beer. I'd also suggest reading the entire thread before posting next time, because all of your complaints are baseless. If you don't have time to read the thread, you don't have time to post.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:36 pm

ZombieSoldier01 wrote:
JTNieman wrote:

ok well since you know it all. check it out. did you think of the legal ramnifications? tell me where is a legal 1+mile range? you are encouraging someone to do something that can get them in trouble. i am all for long distance shooting but talking about some of these distance is plain irresponsible. in 1 mile that round travels (the distance that seems to be talked about) a lot of things can enter its flight trajectory. anything from an animal, car, person, whatever. Last I looked talking about anything illegal being talked about on here was very much frowned upon.

The OP is from El Paso TX. Like I said West of the Mississippi, is pretty easy to find enough open land to LEGALLY shoot at that distance. There is even public land where you could shoot long distance, but its more of a logistical nighmare at a mile mark, just making sure a random hiker or ATV does not enter your firing lane. The best option is to shoot from one one hilltop down into another hill.

East of the Mississippi we don't have public parks where there is vast stretches of open deserts or prairie to shoot in like the west. Actually in PA you can shoot on your own property if you own more then 10 acres, and some east coast states have similar laws so it can be done here too. Its just along the east coast its hard to own a property longer than a mile that if flat and does have a forest or a granite hill/mountain in the way.

Zombie309
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Zombie309 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:34 pm

ZombieSoldier01 wrote:
JTNieman wrote:

Sorry we upset you Mr. Black Ops. I live right next to Dona Ana County, New Mexico and there is BLM land everywhere where you can go shooting and there is no chance there is a person within 10 miles of you at any time of the day, but hey I'm just a cop and don't know what the fuck I'm talking about. I look forward to seeing you and that usmc guy in Zero Dark Thirty. Thanks for keeping me safe and contributing nothing to my thread.
Check out my book, Zombies Across the Border, in the Fiction section and let me know what you think!

DarkGhost
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by DarkGhost » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:37 pm

A good place to start for Long Range...

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthr ... 2&Board=18 :awesome:

DarkGhost's Go Bag

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”