Good long range, large caliber rifle.

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Zombie309
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Zombie309 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:23 pm

Title says it all. I have a pistol, shotgun, and AR-15. I'm looking to invest in a long range rifle of decent caliber for under 1k. Can the ZS Firearms Gods steer me in the right direction.
Check out my book, Zombies Across the Border, in the Fiction section and let me know what you think!

Spd164

Post by Spd164 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:35 pm

Define: long range.

Define: decent caliber.

What your intended use of the rifle in question would be is also helpful info.

Not knowing any of that I'd tentatively recommend a Remington 700 in .308 simply because the availability of parts and loading data are second to none and you could theoretically build off that platform for just about any common useage.

Browning 35
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004).
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Omega Man

Re: Good long range, large caliber rifle.

Post by Browning 35 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:58 pm

Yeah, without knowing more it's hard to say.

Personally I'd start with a Savage 110FP in .308 Win and a 3-9x40 and start working my way up.

The longer range Savage and Rem rifles in .308, .270, .260 Rem, and 30-06 are good places to start.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote:Why do you want to shoot penguins? What did they ever do to you?
It's that smug, superior attitude of theirs, strutting around in their fancy outfits like they're better than everyone else. Yeah, burn in hell, you snobbish bird bastards.

And don't get me started on pandas!

Kutter_0311
Favorite Zombie Movies: too many to get into...

Post by Kutter_0311 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:23 pm

Spd164 wrote:Not knowing any of that I'd tentatively recommend a Remington 700 in .308 simply because the availability of parts and loading data are second to none and you could theoretically build off that platform for just about any common useage.
I agree, the Rem700/M40A1/2/etc are pretty well documented for long range use.

If that isn't enough, you may have to go up to .50 BMG, though most of those are over $1K...
JAYNE COBB wrote: Well, what you plan and what takes place ain't ever exactly been similar.
TravisM.1 wrote:If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.
minengr wrote:I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

TravisM.1

Post by TravisM.1 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:53 pm

Im a Remington guy, but any of the better manufacturers makes a rifle thatll do what youre looking for. If you keep your eyes peeled you can find Howa 1500 varminters for very reasonable prices.

Without knowing more, its hard to recommend a cartridge. For long range stuff the 308 is pretty much the standard.

Dont forget to budget for a scope.
I sold my soul to the devil for a .45, a black cowboy hat and a switchblade knife.......

Spd164

Post by Spd164 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:09 pm

TravisM.1 wrote:
Dont forget to budget for a scope.

Right. Forgot to mention that. And again, depending on your uses, quality glass usually costs as much as the rifle you are mounting it to.

Building a sub MOA rifle is not an inexpensive venture. It's another case of getting what you pay for usually. The Savage rifles can be a great way to keep costs down on the rifle end to allow more wiggle room for expenditure on glass. By all accounts they are great performers, but not nearly as inexpensive a they were a few years ago.

Zombie309
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Zombie309 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:53 pm

Spd164 wrote:Define: long range.

Not knowing any of that I'd tentatively recommend a Remington 700 in .308 simply because the availability of parts and loading data are second to none and you could theoretically build off that platform for just about any common useage.
Long range...the ability to fire up to a mile, large caliber...something that could take a human out at that distance. I've heard a lot of good things about that 700, I'll research it.
Check out my book, Zombies Across the Border, in the Fiction section and let me know what you think!

SRO1911

Post by SRO1911 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:02 pm

Definitely need more parameters
Long range in the northeast woods could be 250-300 yards
In the Arizona deserts matches don't get fun till you get over a mile.

Prairie dogs at 1000 respond well to a 220 swift, for hostile boogeymen at 1500 a flat shooting 30 like the 308 or 300 wingman will be up to the task, armored or airborne heavies will require a little more oomph such as the 50 bmg or 338 lapua

The devil is in the details

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:05 pm

Zombie309 wrote:

Long range...the ability to fire up to a mile, large caliber...something that could take a human out at that distance. I've heard a lot of good things about that 700, I'll research it.
Killing a human being with repeatable results at a mile means one of the Barrett family cartridges. .416/.408/.50BMG or something similar. At no point will you acquire through entirely legal means the rifle or even the optics to do this for less then several thousand dollars. Then, one you have the setup and each round costs several dollars, you are left with explaining how you make a case for aelf defense at a mile.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

hkusp1

Post by hkusp1 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:06 pm

.338 lapua.

Confucius

Post by Confucius » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:09 pm

Zombie309 wrote:

Is that all you want? For 1k, it should at least make a good cup of coffee too...

I'd guess your best bet for under 1k would be a Weatherby Vanguard Series 2 in .338 Win Mag or .300 Wby Mag. Sub-MOA and a whole dollar under your price point...

http://www.weatherby.com/product/rifles ... _2/package" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:12 pm

Confucius wrote:
Zombie309 wrote:

Is that all you want? For 1k, it should at least make a good cup of coffee too...

I'd guess your best bet for under 1k would be a Weatherby Vanguard Series 2 in .338 Win Mag or .300 Wby Mag. Sub-MOA and a whole dollar under your price point...

http://www.weatherby.com/product/rifles ... _2/package" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Who is repeatably making hits at 1760yd with that rifle and a .300 WinMag?ETA: who other than military snipers, and doing it on man sized targets.

Confucius

Post by Confucius » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:15 pm

Doc Torr wrote:
Confucius wrote:
Zombie309 wrote:

Who is repeatably making hits at 1760yd with that rifle and a .300 WinMag?ETA: who other than military snipers, and doing it on man sized targets.
Nobody that I know of, but it's probably as close as you'd be able to come to the unrealistic expectations set out in the OP...

Zombie309
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Zombie309 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:41 pm

I've never done much long distance shooting. Perhaps someone here could educate me on what to expect and what is realistic?

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:53 pm

Zombie309 wrote:I've never done much long distance shooting. Perhaps someone here could educate me on what to expect and what is realistic?
Are you looking to punch paper, or do you need an ROE brief for CONUS on why tagging someone way the fuck out there is probably not gonna ever happen, and would likely be considered murder in all but a slim few scenarios?

Zombie309
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Zombie309 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:04 pm

Doc Torr wrote:
Zombie309 wrote:I've never done much long distance shooting. Perhaps someone here could educate me on what to expect and what is realistic?
Are you looking to punch paper, or do you need an ROE brief for CONUS on why tagging someone way the fuck out there is probably not gonna ever happen, and would likely be considered murder in all but a slim few scenarios?
I said man sized to be facetious in reference to zombies. I would like to start hunting and a good, reliable large caliber would be nice to have, I would also like to just go out and punch big holes in paper from really far away.

Spd164

Post by Spd164 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:32 pm

If you are looking to push out past 1k yards, then you are gonna want something in the .338 Lapua or .50BMG range. Getting out past a grand means you are gonna run over your $1k spending limit pretty quickly as well. Repeatable accuracy at that kind of range doesn't come very cheap, especially when you are talking about high quality glass that will let you see that far with any kind of precision.

To be perfectly honest, my advice to you since you don't really know much about shooting at long range would be to take the AR you say you have already and start pushing it out farther. Once you are out around the 500 yard line with an AR and iron sights, you will have a much firmer grasp on the fundamentals of marksmanship and what it takes to go further. Sure, you can walk in to a gun store and buy an off the rack rifle for around a thousand bucks that will likely enable you to make hits at a thousand yards or more, but in order to guarantee repeatability of that kind of accuracy you are going to wind up spending much dinero.

Seriously, a mile is a long fucking way to be throwing a chunk of lead. Although you could still start with a Remington 700 and go from there, Id' personally want a long action, magnum caliber if I were looking to get out that far. Right now the .338 Lapua is about the best thing going for energy and accuracy at those kind of ranges, with the .50BMG being a close second. Right now Black Hills .338 Lapua is $5.30 per round and .50BMG ammo is $5.50 per round on ammo to go. Don't forget that after you build one of these beasts, you're gonna have to feed it enough to get good with it...

offcamber

Post by offcamber » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:37 pm

1000 yd shots are more realistic.

My long rang hitter is a Remington 700 5R Milspec in .308.

I personally love the gun, its an amazing shooter right out of the box.

The 5-R barrel has 5 lands, with an 11.25 twist. Super accurate and incredibly easy to clean..

Zombie309
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Zombie309 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:45 pm

Spd164 wrote:If you are looking to push out past 1k yards, then you are gonna want something in the .338 Lapua or .50BMG range. Getting out past a grand means you are gonna run over your $1k spending limit pretty quickly as well. Repeatable accuracy at that kind of range doesn't come very cheap, especially when you are talking about high quality glass that will let you see that far with any kind of precision.

To be perfectly honest, my advice to you since you don't really know much about shooting at long range would be to take the AR you say you have already and start pushing it out farther. Once you are out around the 500 yard line with an AR and iron sights, you will have a much firmer grasp on the fundamentals of marksmanship and what it takes to go further. Sure, you can walk in to a gun store and buy an off the rack rifle for around a thousand bucks that will likely enable you to make hits at a thousand yards or more, but in order to guarantee repeatability of that kind of accuracy you are going to wind up spending much dinero.

Seriously, a mile is a long fucking way to be throwing a chunk of lead. Although you could still start with a Remington 700 and go from there, Id' personally want a long action, magnum caliber if I were looking to get out that far. Right now the .338 Lapua is about the best thing going for energy and accuracy at those kind of ranges, with the .50BMG being a close second. Right now Black Hills .338 Lapua is $5.30 per round and .50BMG ammo is $5.50 per round on ammo to go. Don't forget that after you build one of these beasts, you're gonna have to feed it enough to get good with it...
Yeah I didn't really think before I posted that I wanted to shoot a mile. That's serious distance. 1000 yards is much more realistic and something I can accomplish easily. I'm gonna do some shopping around and then get my Remington 700 in 7mm-08.

Zombie309
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Zombie309 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:46 pm

offcamber wrote:1000 yd shots are more realistic.

My long rang hitter is a Remington 700 5R Milspec in .308.

I personally love the gun, its an amazing shooter right out of the box.

The 5-R barrel has 5 lands, with an 11.25 twist. Super accurate and incredibly easy to clean..
Thank you, what's the major difference between .308 and 7mm-08?

Paul J
Favorite Zombie Movies: All the Romero movies. Others tend to pale in comparison.

Post by Paul J » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:56 pm

For consistant hits at a grand....300 win mag. It's possible w 308 , but a lot easier w a 300WM. Rem PSS prolly a good place to start. DO NOT GO CHEAP ON THE OPTICS! ETA Consitently hitting at a grand is not all that easy once you throw a little wind in the mix,
Last edited by Paul J on Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My M4 kills bugs dead

MacAttack

Post by MacAttack » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:57 pm

Nothing since you will be picking up that other inexpensive hobby of reloading.

If you want to shoot a bit cheaper go with the.308 and find a factory load that works well enough for you.
If you want perfect sub MOA then just start reloading.

Rednex
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Rednex » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:06 pm

Well not long range at all yet. I wanted to shot longer ranges so i went and got me a Remington 700 SPS Tactical in .308 this was about 7 years ago. So since i only had a 100 yard range i could shoot at i got good enough at 100 yards with it. Theres rumors of 500 and 750 yard ranges but they are members only or just so far away.

So i will assume you have a place you can shot 1000 yards at?

I got the rifle used from a local gun store for $450.00 out the door. Put a cheap Bushnell 3X9 scpoe on it ( i think the scope was like 100 bucks at dicks) so if you will take a used rifle you may make out over a new rifle. Might get one with some upgrades to it or a good scope on it.
I fly the flag of black and red, the sight fills you with fear and dread. For you know with it i will come.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:09 pm

Since you are new to long range shooting I suggest that you buy a decent used Remington 700 in .308 or 7mm magnum
after hunting season closes(they are generally better priced and available in quantity then). Put a decent Redfield or Nikon scope on it and start shooting with this setup. It will help you chose the next step up, which is what you appear to want.
Last edited by raptor on Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”