Ruger 10/22 breakdown?

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

JTNieman

Re: Ruger 10/22 breakdown?

Post by JTNieman » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:17 pm

Archer46176 wrote:I have had 2 of these rifles for about 6 months and ha e run several thousand rounds through them without one single hiccup. If you are seeing bad reviews you are likelh reading OLD reviews. Both of our takedowns and everyone I ha e seen has had a colored chamber, you know the part that some of you have described as " the part that goes into the receiver", yeah that part is called the chamber, it i hardened because it is the chamber!!!
Thanks for talking down to us, but to me the chamber is the interior profile of the barrel the round mates to. The exterior geometry seemed to more accurately fit the description of 'barrel extension' but I will admit I pulled that phrase out of my butt to try and use words from another common rifle to try and specify exactly the part of the barrel I referred to.

I don't see any reason to talk down to people or diminish the reviews for being 'old' (hard to say it's old, given the rifle isn't even a year old, yet)

What I was trying to establish as a desired owner, is what the problem is, and a way to see if it's been permanently fixed, and how to identify if a rifle I may be looking at is a post-fix or pre-fix model. If you say your barrel was colored (indicating heat stain) from the factory, and others (who had problems) did not initially have that, then it appears that is a good indication.

Now I just have to hope that whatever shop I go to let's me take the rifle apart so that I can check, before buying...

Thanks for the additional anecdotes! The more the merrier.
Archer46176 wrote: Also the instructions that come with the rifle and every Ruger tech will tell you that the ring just ahead of the chamber on the barrel nedds to be loosened, the barrel fitted into the receiver and then tightened to insure a proper fit. If you dont do this things will not line up correctly and will cause major problems. ALL of the problems I have read about have been remedied by the factory as of now jnless you are doing something stupid with the firearm and not takkng care of it properly then you will have problems.
With the one sent back having the problem of bejng stuck or whatever the real problem was. I would say it could have been caused by a sloppy chamber to receiver fit causjng the bolt to slam the end of the chamber and causjng the mushrooming. Again this IS addressed in the instructions included with the firearm.
How do you know the problems from the factory have been remedied from this point forward though?

Anyways, this appears to be Ruger's hosted copy of the 10/22TD instructions, and I don't see anything about the barrel attachment methods you describe. They just say to insert it and lock it down as best you can with finger pressure. https://ruger-docs.s3.amazonaws.com/_ma ... je6z61.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Do you have an updated copy of the instructions, maybe? Could you scan it, take a photo, or otherwise post it?

northbender

Post by northbender » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:43 pm

My 10/22 TD has about 3200 rounds fired. Yes, the bolt hammering against the barrel has slightly mushroomed the barrel chamber.
Can't see it yet could feel a ridge with my finger.
Under the magnifying glass, a very small ridge/lip was forming near the ejector pin area. The initial mating tolerances are very tight. I practice with Blazers & CCI Quiet's with a lot of crud residue. My opinion is the hardening process is pretty tricky to get exact penetration on that chamber area.
Using 400 grit cloth, only the lip was carefully removed. Took it out yesterday for some metal target plinking before the snow gets deep. 300 rounds later, just like new.
Took it apart several times and that fix seems to work fine. I'll probbaly have to dress the barrel end again at 8000 rounds yet I'm good with that.
Outstanding rifle out of the box. The iron sights can be tweaked to make consistent 75-100 yard shots.
I use the Tri-mag & tandem mags when I am rolling around on the snow or dodging in & out of log berms ridding the forest of zombies. I'm sixty and this sure is fun.
Buy one of these. They are already showing up on Criagslist for $250.

JTNieman

Post by JTNieman » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:46 pm

northbender wrote: Buy one of these. They are already showing up on Criagslist for $250.
Nice.

I can't see a reason not to get one, especially if it's a newer one post-"beta-testing"

Tommy Tran

Post by Tommy Tran » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:01 pm

northbender wrote:My 10/22 TD has about 3200 rounds fired. Yes, the bolt hammering against the barrel has slightly mushroomed the barrel chamber.
Can't see it yet could feel a ridge with my finger.
Under the magnifying glass, a very small ridge/lip was forming near the ejector pin area. The initial mating tolerances are very tight. I practice with Blazers & CCI Quiet's with a lot of crud residue. My opinion is the hardening process is pretty tricky to get exact penetration on that chamber area.
Using 400 grit cloth, only the lip was carefully removed. Took it out yesterday for some metal target plinking before the snow gets deep. 300 rounds later, just like new.
Took it apart several times and that fix seems to work fine. I'll probbaly have to dress the barrel end again at 8000 rounds yet I'm good with that.
Outstanding rifle out of the box. The iron sights can be tweaked to make consistent 75-100 yard shots.
I use the Tri-mag & tandem mags when I am rolling around on the snow or dodging in & out of log berms ridding the forest of zombies. I'm sixty and this sure is fun.
Buy one of these. They are already showing up on Criagslist for $250.
Ejector pin area? Do you mean extractor? The 10/22 uses the bump at the back of the feed lips of the mag and an ejector fixed to the trigger housing for ejection.
phil_in_cs wrote:well, I can guarantee you it won't over penetrate. It has to penetrate before it can over penetrate....
gravediggerfour wrote:For those of you with Mr. Fancy Pants gas piston AR's better stock up on the parts that are not interchangable.
TravisM.1 wrote:If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.

milesindefilade

Post by milesindefilade » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:27 am

My replacement barrel was discolored and I remember this in contrast to the first barrel. I don't know if this means the barrel is manufactured or treated differently.

ALL of the problems I have read about have been remedied by the factory as of now jnless you are doing something stupid with the firearm and not takkng care of it properly then you will have problems.
With the one sent back having the problem of bejng stuck or whatever the real problem was. I would say it could have been caused by a sloppy chamber to receiver fit causjng the bolt to slam the end of the chamber and causjng the mushrooming. Again this IS addressed in the instructions included with the firearm.[/quote]

I followed the instructions that came with the rifle and the videos online. I also had the seller take a good bit of time to show me how to remove and replace the barrel.

Ruger was sure nice to fix the problem without question. I guess they should have sent me a bill.
Please punctuate everything I say with "IMHO."

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:09 am

I haven't had any issues with mine so far, but I only have about 500 rounds through it.
jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.
Q wrote:Buckle up

wck3
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland

Post by wck3 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:13 pm

I enjoy my 10/22 TD. I've put mostly bulk Federal junk ammo through it. Takedown, reassembly, repeatable zero. It's light, sets up well, presents well. All around, this blows the doors off my AR-7 (one of the old ones from 30+ years ago).
Sig-Sauer, FNH: what else do you need?
USPSA (Production, Limited, Single Stack), Steel Challenge, IDPA (SSP) - Life Member
3 Gun - TacOps

Turtlewolf
Favorite Zombie Movies: Almost all of them........some suck balls though.

Post by Turtlewolf » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:47 am

I've shot 10/22's most of my life and this forum is the first I have ever seen any mention of any issues, I also don't see anything wrong with any of the rifles I've owned or shot both old and new.
Of course I also don't shoot garbage ammunition like CCI Stingers, those things can wreck a good gun with no benefit in short order.
I put forward that it is not a firearm or metal issue but an ammunition issue as one of the 10/22's I have access to has shot a lot of bulk ammunition with no deformation at all and very little cleaning lately as well.
To me this sounds like a lot of squaking from people who don't realy understand what is going on.
------------------------------------------------------
Save a life, delete a Face Book account today.
You can drop your knife, loose your rifle but keep an eye on your axe.
Humanity does not survive alone.

milesindefilade

Post by milesindefilade » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:17 pm

Turtlewolf wrote:I've shot 10/22's most of my life and this forum is the first I have ever seen any mention of any issues, I also don't see anything wrong with any of the rifles I've owned or shot both old and new.
Of course I also don't shoot garbage ammunition like CCI Stingers, those things can wreck a good gun with no benefit in short order.
I put forward that it is not a firearm or metal issue but an ammunition issue as one of the 10/22's I have access to has shot a lot of bulk ammunition with no deformation at all and very little cleaning lately as well.
To me this sounds like a lot of squaking from people who don't realy understand what is going on.
I think this is about 10/22 TD and not the 10/22 in general. I used Federal 550 rounds in mine and ruger told me they replaced the barrel because the rear of the barrel had mushroomed.

JTNieman

Post by JTNieman » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:28 pm

Turtlewolf wrote:I've shot 10/22's most of my life and this forum is the first I have ever seen any mention of any issues, I also don't see anything wrong with any of the rifles I've owned or shot both old and new.
The issues are unique to the design of the takedown...

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:36 pm

How di CCI stingers wreck a gun?

~sent via spacearmadillogram~
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

milesindefilade

Post by milesindefilade » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:44 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:How di CCI stingers wreck a gun?
Ruger states in the owner's directions to not use Stingers. Beyond that, I don't know why.

I can't believe I admitted to reading directions.

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:48 pm

Archer46176 wrote: jnless you are doing something stupid with the firearm and not takkng care of it properly then you will have problems.
Given that its' a stainless barrel sitting in an aluminum receiver with a plastic trigger guard, what precisely would you recommend as far as 'taking care of it properly''? With component metallurgy like that I'd expect it to need about as much TLC as a Glock, and far less than 10/22's with carbon steel barrels.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Turtlewolf
Favorite Zombie Movies: Almost all of them........some suck balls though.

Post by Turtlewolf » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:37 pm

Unneccesary wear and tear on the springs, more and quicker wear on moving parts all for no gain at all in a .22 fire arm. Stingers are one of the worst ammunitions in the world.
------------------------------------------------------
Save a life, delete a Face Book account today.
You can drop your knife, loose your rifle but keep an eye on your axe.
Humanity does not survive alone.

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:32 pm

Turtlewolf wrote:

Unneccesary wear and tear on the springs, more and quicker wear on moving parts all for no gain at all in a .22 fire arm. Stingers are one of the worst ammunitions in the world.
The CCI "Quiet" round wouldn't cycle through mine. Just an FYI.
jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:38 pm

NamelessStain wrote:
Turtlewolf wrote:

The CCI "Quiet" round wouldn't cycle through mine. Just an FYI.
Most subsonics will not cycle a .22LR. many subsonic rounds of larger caliber have an issue cycle semi auto if the rifle was designed for a supersonic loading in mind.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:30 am

The CCI subsonic rds will cycle my 22LR AR, my 10/22 and my Ruger Mk3.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:33 am

Regular Guy wrote:The CCI subsonic rds will cycle my 22LR AR, my 10/22 and my Ruger Mk3.

Maybe a need to throw another 500 rounds through it and try them again.

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:52 am

NamelessStain wrote:
Regular Guy wrote:The CCI subsonic rds will cycle my 22LR AR, my 10/22 and my Ruger Mk3.

Brother, Quiet and Subsonic are different lines from CCI. The Subs run around 980 FPS and the Quiet run around 750FPS. The Subs work in my guns, the Quiets do not.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:26 am

Regular Guy wrote:
NamelessStain wrote:

Brother, Quiet and Subsonic are different lines from CCI. The Subs run around 980 FPS and the Quiet run around 750FPS. The Subs work in my guns, the Quiets do not.
Well then my brother is still getting the Quiets for his bolt action :)

111t

Post by 111t » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:11 pm

The chamber is supposed to be heat treated/discolored/hardened. I wonder if they skipped a step in the manufacture of the problem guns?
All the best!
-Paul

"A rifle behind every blade of grass?"
"No, but any blade of grass"

Ferrocerium...You know how to spell it... This is how you pronounce it...[fer-oh-seer-ee-uhm]
Bushcraft/Dayhiking Kit
Three season 72 Hour Kit
Ledmark alcohol cookset!!!
New Production Kerosene Pressure Stoves!!!
Car Emergency Preparedness Kit

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”