Ruger 10/22 breakdown?

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Nutpantz

Ruger 10/22 breakdown?

Post by Nutpantz » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:54 am

My almost local gunshop has a few ruger 10/22 breakdown rifles in stock. While I really don't need yet another .22. I don't have a break down 22 that claims to stay zeroed for the scope on the receiver.
I know the ruger 10/22 is a tried and true rifle, but the breakdown model is new, so before I impulse buy yet another toy, I thought I would every ones thoughts on this rifle..
Equality can only exist between equals.
Civilization implies division of labor, division of labor implies subordination and subordination implies injustice and inequality.

hestenet

Re: Ruger 10/22 breakdown?

Post by hestenet » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:14 am

I suspect this has been talked about in several places on the forums already - but the reaction to the new take down version of the 10/22 seems to be really positive. A buddy of mine has one that I've shot quite a bit. Zero seems to be maintained pretty well. Some folks even like the trigger better than some of the older models. The bag it comes with is no joke either, frankly. Nice little bonus.
ZSC011 | Fall MBO '12 | My 40lb, 4 season BOB - full thread coming soon.

JTNieman

Post by JTNieman » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:30 am

I've got a big red rocket for this gun but

I'd likely buy one and find out it spends 75% of it's time in warranty repair :| every fucking forum that talks about guns, that's I've searched on google, including this one, has people with first-hand accounts of their 10/22 fucking up and seizing up the mechanism.. barrel mushrooming or some shit. The bolt hammers on the stainless barrel and mushrooms it, is the common supposition. This causes the barrel to not be able to come out of the receiver so well, or to be able to be unlocked by the takedown mechanism in some cases.

If true: Sounds like they need a carbon steel barrel extension or sleeve where it slides into the receiver, and where the locking mechanism engages it then they can keep using their soft stainless barrel steel.

I got to play with my ex-boss's Takedown, and shot it a few times to basically say "Yep, shoots like a 10/22" and just play with it. Took it apart and put it back together a few times to see how it works.

I want one. I want one that I can shoot 10,000 rounds through over a couple years without a problem, though, and cleaning occasionally... like my old 10/22.

DaleGribble

Post by DaleGribble » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:37 am

JTNieman wrote:I've got a big red rocket for this gun but

I'd likely buy one and find out it spends 75% of it's time in warranty repair :| every fucking forum that talks about guns, that's I've searched on google, including this one, has people with first-hand accounts of their 10/22 fucking up and seizing up the mechanism.. barrel mushrooming or some shit. The bolt hammers on the stainless barrel and mushrooms it, is the common supposition. This causes the barrel to not be able to come out of the receiver so well, or to be able to be unlocked by the takedown mechanism in some cases.

If true: Sounds like they need a carbon steel barrel extension or sleeve where it slides into the receiver, and where the locking mechanism engages it then they can keep using their soft stainless barrel steel.

I got to play with my ex-boss's Takedown, and shot it a few times to basically say "Yep, shoots like a 10/22" and just play with it. Took it apart and put it back together a few times to see how it works.

I want one. I want one that I can shoot 10,000 rounds through over a couple years without a problem, though, and cleaning occasionally... like my old 10/22.
I'm curious as to where you read these things. Ive heard nothing like these

JTNieman

Post by JTNieman » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:55 am

DaleGribble wrote: I'm curious as to where you read these things. Ive heard nothing like these
Like I said, pretty much every gun forum that talks about guns, that I came across. Take your pick: http://tinyurl.com/cgjyn9t" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:21 am

JTNieman wrote:
DaleGribble wrote: I'm curious as to where you read these things. Ive heard nothing like these
Like I said, pretty much every gun forum that talks about guns, that I came across. Take your pick: http://tinyurl.com/cgjyn9t" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This is the first I've heard of it as well, but JT seems to be onto something.

http://rugerforum.net/ruger-10-22-rimfi ... issue.html (mushroomed barrel issue discussion begins in earnest on page 2)

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/sh ... t=Takedown

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewto ... 2&t=157726

This is too bad. Cabelas will be selling these for $279.99 on Black Friday and I was thinking of picking one up.

DaleGribble

Post by DaleGribble » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:18 pm

I guess adding 'issues' to the search would bring up more biased results. I had not seen that issue although it doesn't seem like that frequent of a problem , but if its happening on some already seems worrisome that it may be an issue down the line for others. :(

JTNieman

Post by JTNieman » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:39 am

DaleGribble wrote:I guess adding 'issues' to the search would bring up more biased results. I had not seen that issue although it doesn't seem like that frequent of a problem , but if its happening on some already seems worrisome that it may be an issue down the line for others. :(
Yea, I wanted to focus in on the problems it may have, and judge the commonality of it. I wanted to skip past the reviews by people who haven't shot them yet and wanted to tell you how awesome the packaging is (seriously, people? Shut the fuck up.) and wanted to get to the meat of reviews by people who have shot it for a couple thousand rounds at least.

I figured if there were miscellaneous problems and rarely repeated, they're a buncha flukes. If I start seeing a steady trend, I think to myself "Maybe I'll wait for a revision to come out..."

I believe Pistol Pete bought one and had troubles - I may be mistaken about who it was, but I think someone on here got one and had the barrel/locking-mechanism problems and had to send it to Ruger.

bruceson74

Post by bruceson74 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:26 am

thanks for the heads up. mine looks fine so far but has less than 200 round through it tho. defiantly some thing i want to an eye on.

RatDrall

Post by RatDrall » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:43 am

Keep your old 10/22 for shooting 10k rounds with, buy the Takedown 10/22 and shoot it enough to break it in, clean it, and put it away for the survival situation it was designed for.

Lost in the woods for a month, if the only thing that went wrong was my TD rifle being stuck together and usable, I'd be alright with that.

I will be getting a Takedown soon, for the job it was designed and built for. I'm just glad that there is now a takedown .22 on the market that functions properly when shooting.

JTNieman

Post by JTNieman » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:45 am

RatDrall wrote:
Keep your old 10/22 for shooting 10k rounds with, buy the Takedown 10/22 and shoot it enough to break it in, clean it, and put it away for the survival situation it was designed for.

Lost in the woods for a month, if the only thing that went wrong was my TD rifle being stuck together and usable, I'd be alright with that.

I will be getting a Takedown soon, for the job it was designed and built for. I'm just glad that there is now a takedown .22 on the market that functions properly when shooting.
Don't have the old 10/22 - sold it, got a Marlin Model 60 shortly afterward, and now I want a 10/22 back. Not looking to buy multiples. If I have to buy a beater gun to keep the "wear" off the primary gun, it isn't a gun worth owning, imo. :roll: I just want a 10/22 takedown that works and lasts... so I'm going to hold out until people are done beta testing it for Ruger.

Don't get me wrong though... some days it's /hard/ not to throw my hands in the air and say 'fuck it' and buy one anyways. :lol:

JustsayMo

Post by JustsayMo » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:14 pm

Nutpantz wrote:My almost local gunshop has a few ruger 10/22 breakdown rifles in stock. While I really don't need yet another .22. I don't have a break down 22 that claims to stay zeroed for the scope on the receiver.
I know the ruger 10/22 is a tried and true rifle, but the breakdown model is new, so before I impulse buy yet another toy, I thought I would every ones thoughts on this rifle..
I've had mine since April. It gets brought along (always) and shot regularly. The wife has pretty much claimed it. I'm buying another.

UndeadInfidel
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead

Post by UndeadInfidel » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:33 pm

I personally haven't seen a good enough reason to deviate from the standard 10/22 design that I'd run out and buy a Takedown model. The concept is novel, at least, but I simply can't justify the potential downsides vs the practicality of it.

The design of the AR-style upper/lower receiver and breakdown method is proven, tested, and works. If I really need to break down a 22lr rifle, it'll be my M&P 15-22, which is simple enough to pull the pins, collapse the stock, and throw it in a pack. The main reason I even own a 10/22 its hunting rifle appearance, which doesn't raise the same scrutiny from passers-by as a "black rifle", like the 15-22. If I'm carrying my 10/22 outside of a range, it'll be for game purposes and I won't care if people see it or not.

If someone could explain the logic of selecting a takedown 10-22 as a pack gun over a AR style 22lr, I'd be all ears.

milesindefilade

Post by milesindefilade » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:07 am

I have one and I've had to send it back to Ruger for repair. I am happy with it now, but it was a pain in the ass to deal with the repair.

The rifle became more difficult to break-down and after a while it became impossible. I shot about 2K rounds through it before sending it back to Ruger. It never stopped shooting, it just wouldn't break-down.

Now all is good. I think this is just taking a chance with something new. The instructions for dissassembly and fitting the barrel aren't real complicated, but there are instructions, which makes it more complicated than most of the world can handle. Many of the issues with this rifle are probably operator error. I am sure this is not the issue for myself, but think what you like.

For general storage and portability I see this rifle as excellent. For shooting it is as good as any 22 I've used.
Please punctuate everything I say with "IMHO."

JTNieman

Post by JTNieman » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:10 am

For those that sent the rifle back to Ruger because takedown became rough or impossible, what was the fix?

milesindefilade

Post by milesindefilade » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:33 am

JTNieman wrote:For those that sent the rifle back to Ruger because takedown became rough or impossible, what was the fix?
I'm not sure. The part of the barrel that connects to the receiver was discolored like it had been heated. I think it is the same barrel, but i'm not sure. The adjustment on the receiver could have also been changed out and I'd never know. Ruger gave me no explanation at all. The lady who arranged the return of the rifle told me she hadn't heard of any issues like mine. My lie-detector didn't go off, but it may have been a lie.

Chirpy
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil series, Dead Snow

Ruger 10/22 breakdown?

Post by Chirpy » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:35 am

A CSR will never admit to seeing a problem before. In fact, if she said that "We haven't seen this in 10/22TDs" instead of saying nothing, I'd guess that's the scripted response to callers with the issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
"And I prep not because I'm scared of someone coming to take from me, but rather because I fear not being able to render help to those who have helped me. "

phractal - 4/2/13

JTNieman

Post by JTNieman » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:10 am

If it was heated, it's possible that they tried to locally harden the barrel to prevent the mushrooming or flaring of the barrel from repeated bolt impact. I have never done any stainless steel hardening - usually if something was required to be pretty hard, I've used an appropriate stainless alloy for the task, or used something else - coated carbon steel or a nickel alloy if money permitted. "Generic" 304 S/S was for the ability to say "it's stainless" or to give some corrosion resistance, or mainly aesthetic purposes. Don't know how easily it hardens from heat.

Anyways, yea, the point of my question was to see what the fix was - to better identify the cause of the problem... and to hopefully be able to know when they've fixed it permanently - to know when it's 'safe' to buy one without fear of warranty dead-time.

Thanks

milesindefilade

Post by milesindefilade » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:06 pm

Nieman, I think you know a lot more than myself about metals and such, but my feeling is that the bolt couldn't deform the barrel. I would think the heat of 500+ rounds at a time would be the issue. I shoot a brick at a time.

If bolt strikes did this, wouldn't the weapon eventually go out of battery due to the metal deforming? I think we all have 22s that have a rhino's weight in 22 rounds through them. Why wouldn't this be an issue uneven fixed barrel rifles where the bolt deforms the chamber area?

Just thinking about this. When I sent in my ruger, I felt like my woman had cheated on me.

I'm going to call Ruger about this ASAP.

JTNieman

Post by JTNieman » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:28 pm

milesindefilade wrote:Nieman, I think you know a lot more than myself about metals and such, but my feeling is that the bolt couldn't deform the barrel. I would think the heat of 500+ rounds at a time would be the issue. I shoot a brick at a time.

If bolt strikes did this, wouldn't the weapon eventually go out of battery due to the metal deforming? I think we all have 22s that have a rhino's weight in 22 rounds through them. Why wouldn't this be an issue uneven fixed barrel rifles where the bolt deforms the chamber area?

Just thinking about this. When I sent in my ruger, I felt like my woman had cheated on me.

I'm going to call Ruger about this ASAP.
I don't know what the problem /really/ is, to be able to say. I'm going off of reported conjecture of owners who had problems that I've read around the net. Most seem to think the barrel expanded or something, causing it to stick in the receiver and not 'take down'.

The bolt would still go forward until it stopped full against the breech of the barrel, so to speak, so it wouldn't be able to fire out of battery, it'll slam home with the rim against the chamber every time, still, ready for the hammer strike. Heat may exacerbate the deformation, but I don't think it's a sole contributor.

As for a possible explanation of why it's an issue on this gun and not on other guns, it could be that this 10/22 model used a cheaper/softer stainless steel than traditional 10/22s, but more likely it could be that even /if/ the stainless steel is the same, it's not an issue on traditional 10/22s because it's barrel extension, where the chamber is, is completely wrapped by the receiver, and then bolted into it. The added support from the metal surrounding the barrel chamber may help abate deformation, or, at worst, deform with it, ever so slightly, so that the barrel is not hard to take out. I've had 10/22 barrels be hard to remove before, but never stuck.

All I got right now is conjecture. Conjecture to go on, and my own - it's just been of sufficient volume to make me hesitant to buy one until it's fixed, because, like you, I'd feel horrible if I had to send it back to Ruger for repairs - especially if I "knew better" before I bought it.

milesindefilade

Post by milesindefilade » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:51 am

Nieman, I contacted Ruger and found that they replaced my barrel because the old barrel had mushroomed. So maybe the bolt did the damage. Shows how much I know. So far so good with the new barrel.

So far as options go, I was looking at an aftermarket side-folding stock. That with a stainless 10-22 would be a great combination, I'd think.

JTNieman

Post by JTNieman » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:52 am

Thanks for following up on that. I appreciate it a lot.

Archer46176

Post by Archer46176 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:35 pm

I have had 2 of these rifles for about 6 months and ha e run several thousand rounds through them without one single hiccup. If you are seeing bad reviews you are likelh reading OLD reviews. Both of our takedowns and everyone I ha e seen has had a colored chamber, you know the part that some of you have described as " the part that goes into the receiver", yeah that part is called the chamber, it i hardened because it is the chamber!!! Also the instructions that come with the rifle and every Ruger tech will tell you that the ring just ahead of the chamber on the barrel nedds to be loosened, the barrel fitted into the receiver and then tightened to insure a proper fit. If you dont do this things will not line up correctly and will cause major problems. ALL of the problems I have read about have been remedied by the factory as of now jnless you are doing something stupid with the firearm and not takkng care of it properly then you will have problems.
With the one sent back having the problem of bejng stuck or whatever the real problem was. I would say it could have been caused by a sloppy chamber to receiver fit causjng the bolt to slam the end of the chamber and causjng the mushrooming. Again this IS addressed in the instructions included with the firearm.

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:49 pm

Archer46176 wrote:I have had 2 of these rifles for about 6 months and ha e run several thousand rounds through them without one single hiccup. If you are seeing bad reviews you are likelh reading OLD reviews. Both of our takedowns and everyone I ha e seen has had a colored chamber, you know the part that some of you have described as " the part that goes into the receiver", yeah that part is called the chamber, it i hardened because it is the chamber!!! Also the instructions that come with the rifle and every Ruger tech will tell you that the ring just ahead of the chamber on the barrel nedds to be loosened, the barrel fitted into the receiver and then tightened to insure a proper fit. If you dont do this things will not line up correctly and will cause major problems. ALL of the problems I have read about have been remedied by the factory as of now jnless you are doing something stupid with the firearm and not takkng care of it properly then you will have problems.
With the one sent back having the problem of bejng stuck or whatever the real problem was. I would say it could have been caused by a sloppy chamber to receiver fit causjng the bolt to slam the end of the chamber and causjng the mushrooming. Again this IS addressed in the instructions included with the firearm.

Good input and insight, Archer.

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”