Shotguns and You! (Or, pick Gunny's brain)

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

MicSteve

Re: Shotguns and You! (Or, pick Gunny's brain)

Post by MicSteve » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:44 am

Gunny new shotgun owner here and couldn't pass up the opportunity to pick your brain.

1. I have the stoeger coach gun supreme that comes with IC and M chokes and a choke wrench. Now since it has a shorter barrel will I need to adjust what choke I use in a given situation? (ie if a situation calls for say an IC from a standard shotgun barrel would I need to use a light modified or modified.)

2. I really really really really want to use it to go hunting/trap shooting. I have heard conflicting stories ranging from severally disappointing to its a blast. Any insight onto how a coach gun will perform in those roles? I do plan on getting a dedicated hunting and trap shotgun just haven't decided on whether to go auto or pump.

3. As far as chokes go how many should I have? One of each type two of each type just collect as many as possible? Is it worth getting a choke tube carrier for the field?

4. Finally, when I bought it and was purchasing shells at the same time they didn't have any 3" target loads only 2 3/4" and the guy selling it to me was saying since the chamber is set for 3" that it might have trouble extracting them. This sounds like BS since its a sxs and I could just be able to break it open and remove them by hand. I am completely off on this or after firing will it do some kind of crazy voodoo that will make extracting them difficult?
The fox knows many tricks; the hedgehog one good one.

hatchtrikk
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, 28 weeks later, dawn of the dead, land of the dead, diary of the dead and many more...

Post by hatchtrikk » Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:46 pm

Necro'ed because I found it useful and thought that some of the other noobs may as well...

That being said, how does the Benelli Super Nova stack up against the 870 and 500? Lonely Raven posted a thread about his and I think it looks wicked sooo, I want one :D

Dave, wanna put this thread in the Firearms Knowledge Threads, thread?
My Draco SBR: http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 09&t=79016" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Belt fed always wins. -GD4

I am serious...and stop calling me Shirley. -Agent Smith

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:54 pm

Georgian wrote:IMO, a shotgun does not "need" to be tricked out....its a simple weapon, and should be kept as such. Other than changing to a Hogue overmold stock or a mag ext, I see no need to spend extra money on a shotgun, other than to feed it. Remember, a shotgun is not an AR15....
What about a white light, if you're using it for home defense? Can't really hold a flashlight in one hand and still use a shotgun effectively. For this reason I intend to get SureFire fore-ends for my shotguns, or at least for one of them.

Also, what about a VTAC fighting sling? This allows you to fight effectively with the shotgun yet retain it securely if you need to, say, dial 911 or open a door or something. Your alternative is to tuck it awkwardly under one arm, or throw it, or "set it down real fast."

phydaux

Re:

Post by phydaux » Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:58 pm

Gunny wrote:
Rus wrote:
taurus groupie wrote:
taurus groupie wrote:gunny i have questions, when the SHTF which shotgun do i use. i own five
1:remington 870 built for home defence
2:mossberg 500 built for home defence
3:mossberg 500 with accuchoke barrel
4:mossberg 835 with turky tube
5:mossburg 835 with assorted choke
i would figure my 835 with turky tube to get the tightest spred pattern but it is very long, it is my main hunting shotgun made for waterfowl & turky.
my mossberg 500 with the accuchoke is equily long but has 3 diff. chokes built in. my 870 has a 6 pos. stock, heat shield,lazer/light combo, but the length of the barrel prevents me from putting a diff. choke and the sped tends to be very wide.my other mossberg has pistol grip forearm and stock and heat shield but tends to spred wide and kicks like a mule.
or my mossberg 835 with assorted choke, but i run into the same problem as my other 835. opinions?
... never got an post :?
I'll give it a shot... for SHTF = riot, civil disobedience, zombies, et. al. I'd say either the 870 or the 500 in "home defense". To reduce spread, invest in some law enforcement reduced recoil 12 gauge 00 buck. I like Hornady TAP.

One thing though: those M4 style stocks aren't exactly shoulder friendly. You might consider a speedfeed stock or a COP stock. Might be a bit more user friendly.
Crap sorry:

I am a HUGE fan of adjustible chokes. Personally for SHTF I am carrying a Remington 870 18" with a full set of Briley chokes. Most people confuse SHTF with "gonna have to kill raiders everyday and never hunt' Hunting with a shotgun that is nothing more than a door buster or hall clearer isn't going to get the job done.

That being said I would go with the 500 of the 835. Both companies make very solid guns.
That's why you have those other two barrels for your 870/500. The 18" cylinder bore that's the one your shotty wears most of the time while it's leaning against your nightstand, the 26" rifled barrel that you use during deer season, and the 28" barrel with adjustable chokes for rabbit, quail, pheasant, ducks, geese, turkey, Trap, Skeet, and Sporting Clays.

Seriously, a shotgun is the most versatile firearm there is, and for many tasks (fowling, home defense, deer hunting in states with idiotic hunting laws) it is THE preferred, ideal weapon of choice.

And you can get an 870, all three barrels, and an assortment of chokes for less than I paid for my AR. Heck, less than you'd pay for many name-brand semi-auto shotguns.

phydaux

Re:

Post by phydaux » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:23 pm

Gunny wrote:
TheFreakinBear wrote:Hey Gunny, I just recently bought a Mossberg 88 and it came with this little metal thing which I'm not sure exactly what it is. I was reviewing some websites looking for accessories and I think it's called a choke tube wrench. If I had bought an AR-15 I would know quite a bit about it but I don't really know much about shotguns. Please help!!
Ah no sweat.

Take your barrel off your shotgun. Look into the muzzle. You'll see 4 cuts in your inner barrel at 12, 3, 6, and 9 o'clock. This is your choke. Place the wrench in the muzzle, twist to the left and bang, you'll remove the choke from your shotgun.

Take a look at pg1 for tips/tricks as to how to use your chokes.
This pic should have been posted MUCH earlier:

See where each choke has a 40" spread? A 12 gauge 00 Buckshot shell only has ~10 pellets in it. Meaning that at the range indicated for that particular choke those 10 pellets are spread across that whole 40" circle. It's TOTALLY possible for something to be in that 40" circle and be missed by all 10 pellets.

Also, look at the five yard line and see how SMALL the pattern is at that range? Five yards is at long as the longest hallway in most people's houses. The spread of a shotgun blast at that range is TINY. Meaning you are STILL going to have to aim your shotgun to hit anything. The old story about how with a shotgun "you don't even have to aim" is an absolute myth. You STILL have to aim with a shotgun.

Finally, these ranges are approximations. Barrel length plays a huge part, in addition to chokes. An 18" barrel with whatever choke will pattern wider than a 32" barrel with the same choke installed.

grennels

Post by grennels » Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:11 pm

Greg Focker wrote:OK, I am thinking of purchasing this: http://www.remington.com/products/firea ... c_deer.asp. Ohio, despite our rapidly multiplying deer population, still insists on shotguns if you want a modern long arm. l

As you probably know, Ohio now allows rifles using straight walled cartridges for deer. .44 mag, .357 mag, 45LC, etc.
Shot 'em, now I'm gonna hang 'em, then I'm gonna burn 'em!
Damn Zombies. Can't ever be too dead to suit me.

- with apologies to Larry McMurtry

Armed Hippie
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland

Post by Armed Hippie » Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:37 am

I actually went and got me a shotgun BTW. A Browning Citori. :)
When I saw this thread I rememberd what an inspiration it was for me as a total shotgun noob.
When my fist clenches, crack it open
Before I use it and lose my cool
When I smile, tell me some bad news
Before I laugh and act like a fool

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:47 pm

They gave me an 870 SBS. I guess I will play with it this weekend and shoot up some of the rest of my birdshiit target loads left over from skeet. I'd take a class on it but no one around here seems to offer one anymore.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”