b.a.d. or no? (magpul battery assist device)

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

cemoulton

Post by cemoulton » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:05 am

I haven't used one and can see several pros and cons. What do those of you who have used them think?
My main concern is extra leverage on parts that were never meant to withstand any real measurable amount of leverage and possible bolt hang ups.
Last edited by cemoulton on Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
"JamesCannon wrote: I don't think any victim has ever cried out "If only someone was there to sit idly by and watch..."

"phil_in_cs wrote: People with lots of guns and ammo, but no food, are preparing to be looters and raiders, whether they admit to that or not."

Recon101
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil Degeneration, The Walking Dead, Dead, and 28 Days and Weeks later.

b.a.d. or no?

Post by Recon101 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:11 am

Are you referring to the Magpul B.A.D. lever? Mine has survived a deployment and I never had any issues with extra stress on the paddle. When the blood is pumping I tend to slap that paddle near inside of the upper receiver anyway. The Lever just made it quicker to re hot the chamber. Only issue I ever had is the vibration from firing loosening the Allen screw that holds it on. A pin head sized drop of loctite blue fixes that.

"All typos brought to you by iPhone."
Last edited by Recon101 on Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Typos brought to you by Auto Correct."

oldkim

Post by oldkim » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:24 am

I have one on every AR build.... AR pistol and AR rifles

I highly recommend to all.
Young Kim
NRA Certified Instructor (pistol)
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Endowment Member

http://www.waguns.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.shootonthemove.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

xLionx

Re: b.a.d. or no? (magpul battery assist device)

Post by xLionx » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:06 am

Love the one I have, want more

Sworbeyegib
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead is what started it all for me

Post by Sworbeyegib » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:19 am

I read about it, and liked it. My Dad showed me his on his AR, and now I love it.
**Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't**

Haji
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Resident Evil 1,2, and 3, and the Samuel scene from Diary of the Dead. I'm working my way through the worst of them of late, too.

Post by Haji » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:47 am

The sole reason I have one is that it assists in malfunction clearance. Other than that, the only other time I use it is making the weapon clear because I don't have to let go of the grip. Is a very lightweight part, and the problems I suspected I might see haven't happened. As with anything with a screw, I regularly check it to make sure that screw hasn't moved. You can do that with a paint pen witness mark. Its not for everybody, but since I found it didn't interfere with previously trained techniques, I've kept it.
I don't carry a gun in case I get in a gun fight. I carry a gun because I don't want to miss the opportunity to get in a gun fight. - Officer Timmy

http://www.atstacticalgear.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

nimdabew
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD
I am ledgend

Post by nimdabew » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:35 am

Had them, didn't like them, and removed them.
Thanks Anianna!
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:I say when Wee Drop visits the US, we make her ride a goat. You know, like those little monkey cowboys they have at some rodeos. :lol:

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:38 am

I dislike them and don't use them.
Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.
Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

jeepinbandtrider

Post by jeepinbandtrider » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:18 pm

All depends on what you are used to and trained with. I can see how they can make manipulation easier and faster but at the same time since I was a kid all I've used is the bolt release. I can operate it without even thinking about it so I see no need at this point to re-train myself how to use a BAD.

killr7

Post by killr7 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:22 pm

I like them and have rocked one in the stan. Makes locking the blot back immensely easier with no real negatives that I am aware of.
Nobody is coming to save you.

cemoulton

Post by cemoulton » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:47 am

I walk past them everyday at work and have been looking for either an excuse to try one or a reason not to. So far I just can't convince my self that they solve an actual problem.
"JamesCannon wrote: I don't think any victim has ever cried out "If only someone was there to sit idly by and watch..."

"phil_in_cs wrote: People with lots of guns and ammo, but no food, are preparing to be looters and raiders, whether they admit to that or not."

Matt E.

Post by Matt E. » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:39 am

The best thing about the bad IMHO, is that it gives me more ammo against the "you can't do 'X' in a fight because its a fine motor skill" crowd...

I don't prefer them, but if you like them, drive on.
"...And you would probably wind up with one of those souvenir miniature bats, because that is the kind of thing that happens when untrained people pick out unfamiliar equipment based on what "feels" right."

Jeb_66
Favorite Zombie Movies: Movie - Zombieland
TV - The Walking Dead
Game - Dead Space 1&2

Post by Jeb_66 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:47 am

Love mine, but I think all the pros and cons have already been listed. Lol
Jeb Clemons
"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch!!!!"
http://www.texasgunforum.com

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:06 am

Seen problems inadvertently locking the bolt mid-magazine, premature release during reloads, can induce failure of bolt locking on a spent magazine.
Dave Merrill

Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

Assault Life

Post by Assault Life » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:17 am

Dave_M wrote:Seen problems inadvertently locking the bolt mid-magazine, premature release during reloads, can induce failure of bolt locking on a spent magazine.
Seems like those would be the problems of a bad bolt catch. I recently had a problem with a new build, where the bolt catch wouldnt catch the face of the bolt. It would catch the carrier. The problem was resolved with a new catch. Ive never had any problems with my BADs, through 2 deployments and work-ups, and hundreds of range trips since Ive been out. Just this guys experience though
I fear not the Valley, for I am the Shadow

Doc Maker
Favorite Zombie Movies: Day, Dawn, Return, Shawn, Alice.

Post by Doc Maker » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:22 am

My Colt LE 901 has one built in. Love it.
George Carlin:
"Ever notice that your stuff is shit, while their shit is stuff?"
P.J. O'Rourke:
"This country was founded by religious nuts with guns."

USN/NROI(1)

Phoenix David
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: I am legend, Omega man

Post by Phoenix David » Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:27 pm

Until somewhat recently I was opposed to anything that wasn't basic, like scopes, red dots, if it didn't didn't really need it to do the basic operation it was just a toy and only people who wanted to cut corners used them

Then I had a epiphany, better living through technology, use a scope, red dot, GPS, ebook reader, any that helps you to do something better is good, provided that if it breaks you can still do the task without it.
Nobody ever wishes they brought a smaller gun to a gun fight

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:01 pm

Assault Life wrote:
Dave_M wrote:Seen problems inadvertently locking the bolt mid-magazine, premature release during reloads, can induce failure of bolt locking on a spent magazine.
Seems like those would be the problems of a bad bolt catch. I recently had a problem with a new build, where the bolt catch wouldnt catch the face of the bolt. It would catch the carrier. The problem was resolved with a new catch. Ive never had any problems with my BADs, through 2 deployments and work-ups, and hundreds of range trips since Ive been out. Just this guys experience though
No, it would most likely be indicative of weakened mag springs (mag spring doesn't exert enough upward pressure on the follower to engage the bolt catch)--except, for a couple reasons:
1) Seen this with brand new magazines (once with brand new mags on a brand new complete LMT...)
and
2) the problem (mags not locking back) immediately corrected itself once the BAD lever was removed.

If the gun runs 100%, then you add a widget and it doesn't, it's probably the widget. If once the widget is removed and the problem doesn't exist, it's 100% the widget.

This is a problem (mags not locking back) that is seen across the board with enlarged/enhanced bolt locks/releases (BAD, Phase 5, or otherwise).

I'm not the only one who has seen these problems dozens of times first hand. There's a thread on M4C called, 'Why does the BAD Lever suck?' which goes well into detail about all of the above and more.

I much prefer my Gucci RevEng mag release as a solution. Next SBR will be built on a Lancer L15 or Legion lower /w another RevEng mag release.
Dave Merrill

Bearcat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Do I have to choose?

Post by Bearcat » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:01 pm

Dave_M wrote: I much prefer my Gucci RevEng mag release as a solution. Next SBR will be built on a Lancer L15 or Legion lower /w another RevEng mag release.
Speaing of which, did he start making those again?
Meat N' Taters wrote:Death rays, advanced technology or not, no creature wants to be stabbed in their hoo-hoo.
Jvandenhaus wrote:Zombie squad: If you aren't one of us, you wish you were.

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:18 pm

Bearcat wrote:
Dave_M wrote: I much prefer my Gucci RevEng mag release as a solution. Next SBR will be built on a Lancer L15 or Legion lower /w another RevEng mag release.
Nope.
Dave Merrill

Assault Life

Post by Assault Life » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:58 pm

Im absolutely not saying there havent been problems with them. Just giving my firsthand experience.
I fear not the Valley, for I am the Shadow

cityscout

Post by cityscout » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:07 pm

Left eye dominant, so I mostly shoot lefty so they just get in my way.

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:22 pm

Assault Life wrote:Im absolutely not saying there havent been problems with them. Just giving my firsthand experience.
and I'm not saying that everyone has seen these problems, just that many many have. Sample of one versus sample of thousands etc.
Last edited by Dave_M on Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Merrill

cemoulton

Post by cemoulton » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:29 am

Dave_M wrote:
Bearcat wrote:
Nope.

What is the "RevEng"?

I have no problem releasing the bolt in the traditional way in fact it seems very natural and the built up muscle memory takes care of it with out thinking.

Now locking the bolt open/to the rear on the other hand has always seemed cumbersome and awkward. Not that I've really practiced it often or had many failures that required locking the bolt open/to the rear. magazines with weak springs have caused the only failures of this kind for me. Now I just don't buy cheap mags and destroy mags that cause me greef

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”