Limiting your Cache to Three Calibers...

The place to discuss adding firearms to your emergency preparedness plans.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

blarp
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Walking-dead

Re: Limiting your Cache to Three Calibers...

Post by blarp » Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:35 pm

III try to load up on many types on ammo mostly for trade if I can't find for my weapons.

I can use the following.

22lr
5.56/223
300 blackout
7.62x39
5.45x39
12g
20g
9mm

So I have many options while many people don't have this much to pick from

I must say I love the 300 blackout.

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:14 am

blarp wrote:III try to load up on many types on ammo mostly for trade if I can't find for my weapons.

I can use the following.

22lr
5.56/223
300 blackout
7.62x39
5.45x39
12g
20g
9mm

So I have many options while many people don't have this much to pick from

I must say I love the 300 blackout.
/sigh
jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.
Q wrote:Buckle up

Nick Adams

Post by Nick Adams » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:26 am

If I was limited to just three calibers , and don't know why I would be, I'd go with ... 12 ga, .22 LR and 9 mm. Not to important what pistol round and could go with a .45 or even 357/38 special but I do have a Mini Uzi SMG as well as 9mm pistols so I think maybe the 9mm makes more sense

I have Lots of ammo, off the top of my head ones where I have 100 or more rounds
45 70
30 06
762x54R
8mm
7mm
6.5 Arisaka
7.7 Arisaka
30 30
7.62 X 39

Pistol
.45 ACP
44 Mag. and Special
.357/38 special
.38 S&W
9mm
9 X 18 Mak
25 ACP
32 ACP

Shotgun
12 ga

blarp
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Walking-dead

Post by blarp » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:29 pm

If I had to stick with just 3...

9mm or .45. ( depends on witch I grab) hand gun
300 blackout or 5.56 again depends on needs.

My 3rd is a bit different now.
12g

Or my compound bow with lots of arrows.
The bow is a great deal lighter its great for hunting or quite deadly take downs.

Shotgunner1992

Post by Shotgunner1992 » Thu May 01, 2014 8:12 pm

.38 Spl for my S&W mod 10
5.56 for my M16a1(it's a AR15 with vietnam parts.)
12ga in my M37 Ithaca.
Security work is my life.

Future Airman.
Security Forces.

---

Waywatcher

Post by Waywatcher » Thu May 08, 2014 7:23 am

I've been rethinking mine--some honest reflection on my part revealed I really don't shoot my shotgun all that often or all that well. Probably the former begets the latter. In any case, I'd be better off stockpiling what I am proficient with, which is handguns and rifles. This begs the question, which handguns and rifles? When I distill my collection to my perceived 'bare minimum,' I am left with these:

.38 Special--S&W 442
.40 S&W--Glock 23
5.56mm NATO--Colt M4 (6920)

00dlez
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 00dlez » Thu May 08, 2014 9:44 am

Despite my very novice status with firearms in general, I'm wondering why so many are picking 2 different handgun calibers (not counting .22lr). In an exercise meant to maximize versatility while limiting the need to stockpile additional types of ammo it seems redundant to me - but there may just be something I don't know...

Just as an easy example from Waywatcher right above, what is the purpose of having a .38 and .40 when one or the other could be switched out to a much more versatile round? I get his point of leaving the shotgun rounds behind due to lack of practice, but wouldn't replacing one of them with 12 gauge or .22lr drastically improve one's versatility?
Batman has a pretty good EDC. - Purple_Mutant

Waywatcher

Post by Waywatcher » Thu May 08, 2014 10:19 am

00dlez wrote:Despite my very novice status with firearms in general, I'm wondering why so many are picking 2 different handgun calibers (not counting .22lr). In an exercise meant to maximize versatility while limiting the need to stockpile additional types of ammo it seems redundant to me - but there may just be something I don't know...

Just as an easy example from Waywatcher right above, what is the purpose of having a .38 and .40 when one or the other could be switched out to a much more versatile round? I get his point of leaving the shotgun rounds behind due to lack of practice, but wouldn't replacing one of them with 12 gauge or .22lr drastically improve one's versatility?
I'll go in reverse order. No, it wouldn't improve versatility. The 5.56 can be used for small game, medium game, and defense. The Glock 23 is big enough to be a service handgun yet small enough to conceal OWB, and the aluminum frame snubby is a great BUG/pocket carry gun. Trying to consolidate the handguns to one caliber doesn't work for me. It ends up with either a overpowered/hard-to-control/hard-to-conceal BUG (subcompact .40s), or a wimpy service handgun (.38 special service revolver).

The more I think about shotguns, the less I think they can actually do. Squirrels at 40 yards? AR please. Deer at 100 yards? AR please. Defense against zombies? AR please. I really don't think a shotgun would improve my versatility at all. I would even small game hunt with my Glock 23 at short ranges--from practice I know I can hit 8" steel plates at 50 yards quite easily; which, subtended to shorter distances, I should be able to make reliable hits on small game at 15-20 yards.

I spend a lot of time with handguns and feel most comfortable with them of all types. The carbine is next. I'm not saying my way is the right way for everyone, only that it's right for me. If somebody else spends a night or two a week shooting clays, they should probably pick a shotgun since that's what they are probably best with. I practice with handguns a couple times a month, which, given my busy schedule, is by far my most used gun type.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Thu May 08, 2014 10:28 am

Waywatcher wrote:
00dlez wrote:Despite my very novice status with firearms in general, I'm wondering why so many are picking 2 different handgun calibers (not counting .22lr). In an exercise meant to maximize versatility while limiting the need to stockpile additional types of ammo it seems redundant to me - but there may just be something I don't know...

I'll go in reverse order. No, it wouldn't improve versatility. The 5.56 can be used for small game, medium game, and defense. The Glock 23 is big enough to be a service handgun yet small enough to conceal OWB, and the aluminum frame snubby is a great BUG/pocket carry gun. Trying to consolidate the handguns to one caliber doesn't work for me. It ends up with either a overpowered/hard-to-control/hard-to-conceal BUG (subcompact .40s), or a wimpy service handgun (.38 special service revolver).

The more I think about shotguns, the less I think they can actually do. Squirrels at 40 yards? AR please. Deer at 100 yards? AR please. Defense against zombies? AR please. I really don't think a shotgun would improve my versatility at all. I would even small game hunt with my Glock 23 at short ranges--from practice I know I can hit 8" steel plates at 50 yards quite easily; which, subtended to shorter distances, I should be able to make reliable hits on small game at 15-20 yards.

I spend a lot of time with handguns and feel most comfortable with them of all types. The carbine is next. I'm not saying my way is the right way for everyone, only that it's right for me. If somebody else spends a night or two a week shooting clays, they should probably pick a shotgun since that's what they are probably best with. I practice with handguns a couple times a month, which, given my busy schedule, is by far my most used gun type.
I would question the utility of the .38 in a scenario requiring you to rely solely on cached/hoarded ammo for a long period. I stash away .380 when i find a good deal because I like carrying it, but there's no scenario in which I'd choose the .380 over a 10/22 or something else, given a G23 and AR.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Thu May 08, 2014 10:54 am

The caliber and the accompanying handgun can fill certain needs.

For example this is what I have right now in handgun rounds (besides .22lr)

9mm
.40S&W
.44 Mag

1) Right now you can't get any smaller than a .380 pocket gun for something that is very concealable yet just crosses the line as being effective for self defense. Also something like a larger sized a Bersa, CZ, Walther is good for recoil sensitive folks. Again much more effective that a .22lr for self defense but less recoil than a 9mm.

2) 9mm is the perfect tradeoff between high capacity, recoil and stopping power. The major reason why I will never give it up 9mm is the overall usefulness of the round and guns available. I have a Glock 19, a reasonably sized 15+1 handgun, along with a Kel Tec Sub 2k carbine, which also takes glock mags, and both can use 33rd mags. 9mm recoil is also great for a long time shooter like me, and for most new shooters to work up too. This make the 9mm great if I need to send a lot of rounds downrange accurately. I can also choose to get a 9mm pocket gun, that while still bigger, heavier, and more recoil then a .380, is still concealable.

3) I recently traded away a Ruger LC9 9mm for a S&W Shield in .40S&W. 40 S&W is basically a 9mm with a little less capacity but more stopping power. I would lump this in with folks who have 9mm/.38 but also have .357 or .45. I personally went with a .40S&W Shield because I needed something concealable, yet had decent stopping power and penetration for both people and animals. Its my hiking and camping gun, and my "big boy" carry gun when my .380 pocket gun is not enough. For me the .40 Shield is the perfect tradeoff between size, capacity and stopping power in a woods gun. You only lose one round when compared to the 9mm version, and it a lot lighter, more compact and holds more rounds than a .357 or .44 revolver. When facing an angry black bear, wild dog, or deranged person, I feel more confident with the added power and penetration of a .40 verses a 9mm or even a .45 (mostly with the deeper penetration) . Not that the 9mm is bad, but when I need more oomph I pull out the .40.

4) Nothing says "You Die Now!" like getting hit with a .44mag. I use a .44mag lever gun for deer hunting. I could use it to go black bear hunting if I wanted to. Handguns in .44 are big, heavy, and recoil a lot, but they are just fun as heck to shoot. I am in the process of getting a .44mag revolver, but I don't really "need" it for SHTF, unless of course the world is taken over by gorillas riding bears.

Waywatcher

Post by Waywatcher » Thu May 08, 2014 2:07 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:I would question the utility of the .38 in a scenario requiring you to rely solely on cached/hoarded ammo for a long period. I stash away .380 when i find a good deal because I like carrying it, but there's no scenario in which I'd choose the .380 over a 10/22 or something else, given a G23 and AR.
I see what you're getting at. To be honest, I don't own a .22 :oh: so that option is thrown right out. I don't really enjoy them and the recent and ongoing .22 'unobtanium' mess that's happening now hasn't encouraged me to start.

I can imagine a lot of scenarios where, something short of a ZPAW, human beings still have some semblance of society where being openly armed draws unnecessary attention. Wait, am I talking about a possible future or the current state of our civilization again?
:clownshoes:

So, I see the virtue in .22s, but I also see the vanishing ammo problem. I also don't have one. :oh:

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Thu May 08, 2014 5:31 pm

Three? No can do. Don't have to either.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

slicknickns
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Dawn of the Dead, 1977

Post by slicknickns » Fri May 09, 2014 6:45 am

Waywatcher wrote:

I agree with a lot of this.

Other than my .22, I've only got 3 other calibers; 7.62x39, 12 ga. and 9mm. All rifles or carbines, and I'm not one to put all my eggs in one basket, so if I get a handgun, I'm probably gonna get a .40 or .45

A shotgun is anti-personnel, I'm goin' bird or duck hunting. Ever.
My Saiga, the 7.62x39 is my primary semi auto rifle. Great for distance and intermediate targets. Will put your ass down.
The 12GA is a Mossberg Persuader. Home defense. It's a pistol grip, so I load it with Target Shells (Federal), but I've got 7 ready to go at a moment's notice.

Keep It Simple Stupid.

I need more ammo.

Oh, and as for the 9mm. It's a Hi Point Carbine. Didn't play out the way I thought it would. Great weapon, but I hate the bullet button. I'm just getting ready to eye my hand gun purchase. Glock 22, Rock Island 1911 or if money is right, a Sig.

....maybe even a .380 :oops:

Roch

Post by Roch » Sat May 10, 2014 11:28 am

If I had to:
30-06, 12 gauge and .22.

Didn't even have to think about that.
Last edited by Roch on Tue May 13, 2014 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tdog02

Post by Tdog02 » Sat May 10, 2014 9:26 pm

Excellent thread, makes you think. Commonality in preps is a good thing. I limited my calibers but keep 5 (3 are main calibers). This was done due to the economy and losing a job.

Browning 35
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004).
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Omega Man

Post by Browning 35 » Sun May 11, 2014 8:42 am

As far as ammo goes the past few panics where certain calibers were scarce I was still shooting because I had a wide array of calibers to choose from. Not shooting quite as much, but still going. This last panic someone who only had a .22LR, a 9mm and a 5.56 would have been largely out of the shooting game for a little longer than a year.

I just pulled the rifles in hunting calibers and the shotguns out of the safe, put the 5.56's away and was able to keep shooting. .40 S&W and .45 ACP was also still available here while 9mm was not. So the .22's, 9mils and the 5.56's were put in the back for awhile. I stack deep as well, but eventually if shooting steadily that runs out. So there's limits to that strategy unless you literally have a lifetime supply.

I do believe in having some sort of commonality with your close friends and family though. That way you can trade around ammo. Within family/friendship circles there's often quite a bit of trading/begging/borrowing going on.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote:Why do you want to shoot penguins? What did they ever do to you?
It's that smug, superior attitude of theirs, strutting around in their fancy outfits like they're better than everyone else. Yeah, burn in hell, you snobbish bird bastards.

And don't get me started on pandas!

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sun May 11, 2014 9:37 am

As far as ammo goes the past few panics where certain calibers were scarce I was still shooting because I had a wide array of calibers to choose from. Not shooting quite as much, but still going. This last panic someone who only had a .22LR, a 9mm and a 5.56 would have been largely out of the shooting game for a little longer than a year.
Yep, at least the resupply game if they already had a year's supply+ on hand. Diversity pays dividends in the end. Some calibers (.30-30, .30-06 and a few others) came back quicker than most.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

Armed Hippie
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland

Post by Armed Hippie » Mon May 12, 2014 3:35 am

I don't have a permit for handguns, only rifles. So for me it's easy.

6,5x55 (big enough for all game in Sweden)
12g (for hunting)
.22lr (for hunting game to small for the shotgun or 6,5 as well as bulk ammo for snipe-ing zombies in the head)

All three are common here. If I didn't live in Sweden I would choose .308W instead of 6,5x55. Would work here as well of course but I like the 6,5x55.

If (when) I get a handgunpermit it will get a lot trickier.
When my fist clenches, crack it open
Before I use it and lose my cool
When I smile, tell me some bad news
Before I laugh and act like a fool

Strongarm

Post by Strongarm » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:14 pm

It's hard not to chase the latest and greatest caliber. I'm very interested in a LR-G2 6.5 Creedmoor build for example, and a 300BLK SBR sounds like the bees knees. They offer impressive and interesting ballistics and have the edge over the "traditional" calibers in some ways, be it higher BC's, less drop or drift, better subsonic choices, etc.

That being said, I'm more and more of a KISS kinda guy. I'm sure there are some that have the time/talent/money to get really good with a multitude of platforms and can reap the benefits of that hypothetical 10% performance increase, but for me, the benefits of magazine commonality, ability to have greater depth in a single caliber, and familiarity with a single(or few) cartridges is more valuable. I might change my mind if I'm able to get into some competitive shooting, improve my abilities, and reach the limits of having the few common calibers I do have.

That beings said, if limited to 3 I'd stick with 9mm, 12g, and 5.56. Next to follow would be 22lr and 308.

I do have a few one-offs, but mostly I've limited myself to the 5 above.

Another thing to consider is limited platforms. Most all of my rifles are ar platforms and I'm working on a single handgun platform as well. That way I have the same manual of arms, mostly the same components, and similar training.

videoflyguy

Post by videoflyguy » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:55 pm

Shaper wrote:
Einher wrote:I couldn't do 3, the minimum I could ever do would probably be 5.

.22lr
9x19mm
12 gauge
this.
That's what I would get too, you cant really limit yourself to 3.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:03 pm

videoflyguy wrote:
Shaper wrote:

.22lr
9x19mm
12 gauge
this.
Why?
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:07 pm

videoflyguy wrote:
Shaper wrote:

.22lr
9x19mm
12 gauge
this.
It's similar to risk management, plus limiting to 3 is part of the scenario. Too many people listing more than 3 aren't playing the scenario and making the decision. It's like the idiots who do the ice bucket challenge and name more than 3 others to challenge, A) they can't count or B) they think playing the game by the rules shouldn't apply to them.

Just pick 3 damnit!
jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.
Q wrote:Buckle up

Sworbeyegib
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead is what started it all for me

Post by Sworbeyegib » Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:19 pm

I think that .22lr is such a ubiquitous, cheap and useful caliber... I think we should omit it as one of the calibers we are trying to limit ourselves too, because there is no good reason not to have your .22lr bases covered. Especially with so many conversion kits available. It is just SO much cheaper than any centerfire caliber, that it is in a class of it's own as far as putting a cache together is concerned.

Yea.. I know that some people are still having a hard time finding it in some places. But for the most part, it's getting better.

So rather, maybe we should all assume that we already have .22lr. A focus on what three "not as cheap to stock" calibers we can focus on.
**Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't**

Neptune Glory
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Army of Darkness, The Crow (technically a Zombie!), Lost Boys (Vampires are Zombies, too!)

Post by Neptune Glory » Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:29 pm

9mm
.22 lr
.308 Winchester
"When it comes to justifiable use of deadly force, you should seek to avoid confrontation, unless you have no choice and your life is on the line. This is easier to say than to do because it requires that you be calm and peace-loving throughout your life, but ready to use deadly force at any moment."

Return to “Initial Firearms Prepping Q&A”