Limiting your Cache to Three Calibers...

The place to discuss adding firearms to your emergency preparedness plans.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

clarence

Re: Limiting your Cache to Three Calibers...

Post by clarence » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:26 am

1. 9mm
2. .223
3. 20 gauge
It's not looting if you leave a note.

FFEMT917
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead both verions, Night of the Living Dead both versions, Day of the Dead both versions, Land of the Dead.

Post by FFEMT917 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:03 pm

1) 40 cal
2) 5.56
3) 12ga
The only day I fear is when there is no more ammo.

Frieslander

Post by Frieslander » Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:21 pm

Currently:

1) .22 LR
2) 9x19mm
3) .223 Rem

.22 LR because I can hunt with it and get cheap handgun trigger time, 9mm because my preferred handguns are a Glock 34, Glock 26 and Beretta 92, and .223 for obvious reasons. The fourth slot would be hard to pick between 20 gauge and .35 Remington (probably 20 gauge for cost and access to slug barrels for deer).

When I get my 1911 next year (it's built into the budget), that list would probably be:

1) .22 LR
2) 9x19mm
3) .45 Auto

Because I intend to carry the shit out of my 1911, and I carry way more than I go hunting.

Spectrum
Favorite Zombie Movies: World War Z, 28 Days Later, and of course, Zombieland.

Post by Spectrum » Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:37 pm

Personally, 3 calibers is hard for me because I own quite a few different calibers.

My 3:

▪ .45 ACP
▪ .223/5.56mm
▪ .308/7.62mm

If I could go with 5 I would add:

▪ 9mm
▪ 12 Gauge

Although, I'd love to have 5,000 rounds in about 15 different calibers.
Chive On

"If death causes you no pain when you're dead, it is foolish to allow the fear of it to cause you pain now"

- Epicurus

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:45 pm

Rather than picking just three calibers to stock pile. I think it makes more sense to keep firearms in various common calibers that you can scavenge. So if you have a AR, also have a AK or SKS. If you have a 9 mm, also have a .45,.357/.38 ect.
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:22 pm

flybynight wrote:Rather than picking just three calibers to stock pile. I think it makes more sense to keep firearms in various common calibers that you can scavenge trade goods or services for in the PAW. So if you have a AR, also have a AK or SKS. If you have a 9 mm, also have a .45,.357/.38 ect.
Forum rules and all.

My current cache is running deep in:

9mm
7.62x54r

After I get my His and Hers set of AR's built, 5.56 will replace the 7.62.
goofygurl wrote:Dogan – In charge of all things fucked up
Are you ready to die, John Walker?| CLAPTRAP!
Your lucky number has been disconnected.|ASCII biohazard symbol: ☣
Winner of the May/June 2013 ZS Postal Match

MacAttack

Post by MacAttack » Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:59 pm

flybynight wrote:Rather than picking just three calibers to stock pile. I think it makes more sense to keep firearms in various common calibers that you can scavenge. So if you have a AR, also have a AK or SKS. If you have a 9 mm, also have a .45,.357/.38 ect.

Think of it this way.
If you had to bug out in a hurry what would you carry?

yggdrasil45

Post by yggdrasil45 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:43 pm

1 .22 Im in the market for .22 conversion for my CZ clone and my AR. My wife rocks a Walther p22 and a Ruger 10/22. Also great for trading.
2. 5.56 Seems like a no brainer. Also good for trading.
3. 9mm. The pistol that I plan to use a bug out option is my a SAR-B6P. As stated above I REALLY want the EAA .22 conversion small for it. Also my EDC pistol now is a G26.

I have a .45 home defense weapon but I have more .45 than I will ever shoot. No reason to stockpile more. If I could pick a fourth caliber to stockpile it would 12g for obvious reasons.
The Great World Tree Yggdrasil Trembles too its Roots

parabarbarian

Post by parabarbarian » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:33 pm

Wow. Long running thread but I'll weigh in anyway. If I absolutely had to pick only three calibers they would be:

Small game rifle: 17 HMR
Handgun: 38 spl
Carbine: 357 magnum

I seriously considered the 30-30 or 45-70 as a rifle/carbine cartridge but I was limited to three and a 357 carbine is, IMO, more flexible than the rifle cartridges.
Of course I carry a gun! It gives me a chance against the sinners and protection from the righteous.

Dioxin

Post by Dioxin » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:25 am

parabarbarian wrote: Handgun: 38 spl
Carbine: 357 magnum
Would it not make more sense to create underpowered 357 Magnum rounds for the Pistol rather than waste a calibre slot?

So even though you only have 3 calibres as options, each calibre can contain many different loadings.

parabarbarian

Post by parabarbarian » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:04 am

Dioxin wrote:Would it not make more sense to create underpowered 357 Magnum rounds for the Pistol rather than waste a calibre slot?

So even though you only have 3 calibres as options, each calibre can contain many different loadings.
The most honest answer is, "Yes and no" and I considered the above. However, I don't think any realistic SHTF scenario will be one of long term lawlessness. Eventually the state will reassert its power and I (or one of mine) may be called to account for shooting a particular species of target. I decided it was prudent that at least some of the ammunition in the mix be commercial if it was intended for self defense. Not because I think it is better or worse than handloads but because it is more defensible in court.

Add in that the womenfolk do not like shooting 357 magnum in a handgun but are comfortable with 38 spl in a K frame or larger and the choice seemed logical.
Of course I carry a gun! It gives me a chance against the sinners and protection from the righteous.

Dioxin

Post by Dioxin » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:15 am

parabarbarian wrote:Add in that the womenfolk do not like shooting 357 magnum in a handgun
I'm not sure such a comment will do you any favour in a SHTF world (or this one) Even as a man I personally dont like shooting 357 Magnums out of a revolver either. And at 220lbs I'm hardly a welterweight!

I'm just not fond of the blast.

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:18 pm

He is referring to himself and his female acquaintances, not you and yours or all in general. Relax. :)
jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.
Q wrote:Buckle up

zombieapocalypsegame
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
28 Days Later

Post by zombieapocalypsegame » Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:38 pm

1) 223/5.56
2) 9mm
3) 12ga

I would pick 22 in an instant over the 12ga or even the 9mm to an extent given normal situations.

22 however has been spread thinner & distributed more across the population, and is of course an extremely common training round. If we're talking about SHTF, it's the list above.

If we're talking about month to month what do I focus on, I'd definitely put 22 at #2 for me. But the lack of easy reloading and the tendency to undervalue the 22 round (meaning shooting lots of it indiscriminately in training) would point me away from 22 over the long haul for SHTF.
Zombie Apocalypse Games
The Zombies, They're Coming!
Once Fired Lake City Brass
Brass made for & only used by the US armed forces, well suited for reloading.

Kayele

Post by Kayele » Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:48 pm

In the real world or fast zombie world i.e. World War Z

1) .223/.556
2) 9mm
3) 12 Gauge

In a walking dead sort of zombie world where they move slow. I could clear the whole quarry on TWD with a 10/22.

1) .223/.556
2) 9mm
3) .22 Lr

In real life:

5000 rds .22 lr
500 rds 12 ga heavy on 00 buckshot and coyote loads. TTT and BB
1000 rds .223/5.56 soft points and a maybe 100 Fmj.
1000 rds 9mm mostly hollow point
500 rds .22 mag
120 rds 25-06 for the deer rifle

If I'm shooting at people with lighter calibers, I want expansion not to poke holes with Fmj.

My dad used a shotgun a lot in Vietnam and swears that #4 buck is better for shooting people than 00 buck due to increased pellet count and the fact that our hearts aren't protected by our shoulder bones and our necks are not as long as a deers, so head hits on a chest shot are far more likely.. I'll take his word...

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:07 pm

1. .50 AE
2. .50 S&W Magnum
3. .50 BMG

Why?
-Nerve damage is under rated
-No replacement for displacement
-Zombie elephants are tough sumbitches
-I'm compensating
-I could always use that extra 1/2 inch... if you know what I mean (caliber joke)
-Sometimes you gotta go through brick houses
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

psycosteve

Post by psycosteve » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:43 pm

If I had to limit myself to 3 calibers while a hard choice I would have to go with what would give me the most versatility among the common calibers out there.

My list would be in order 5.56/223 rem 12 Gauge and a pistol round either a 9mm or the 40 S&W.

The more I learn about the AR-15 platform the more I am understanding the true versatility of Eugene Stoners design. The right ammo and the right upper and you could have a multi-purpose rifle that will be not only extremely accurate at medium distances but can also be used for room clearing and closer range engagements with the undead hordes. While not legal right now to do so you can take deer with the quality 5.56 and proper shot placement. For my vision of the SHTF I should not have need for more then 200 to 300 yards for whether hunting or for the zombie hordes. I highly doubt that most people are capable, or even willing to engage anything beyond 500 yards unless in a military situation. A 20 inch Shillen match grade barrel in 223 Wylde would be good enough for 500 yard engagements. I have seen some precision AR's do an inch at 300 yards with this same barrel, one ragged hole at 200 yards. My AR when finished will be a DMR rifle but with sites on the side I could still work with it in closer settings. I have chosen to spend the money on one quality firearm to fill multiple roles and phased out a bolt rifle and the 308 caliber.

The 12 gauge shell is too common not to be included in any prepping plan. This combined with the versatility of the different types of shells from slugs to #7 shot you have many useful things that can be fed into a pump action shotgun. From rabbits to anything bigger a 12ga round can be found to put it down.

Everyone needs a good sidearm when things start to go south. My preference is for the 40S&W due to quick reloading, good capacity and after seeing what a 180gr JHP did to a five gallon plastic water jug (carboy ) I have a good respect for the round. The way it flowered out and grew to the size of almost a 50 cent piece was very eye opening to say the least.

So why did 22LR not make this list. the first is that with everybody hording the 22LR I have found that it makes a great training platform but it is no longer common, and you can not reload the ammo. Meaning that once all the 22LR is gone that rifle is just a club for future generations. This is also why 7.62x39 and 7.62x54R as most of the surplus ammo is steel cased which can not be reloaded safely like brass cased ammo. If I was looking to future proof my firearms I would be looking at 45LC, 357 mag and 30-30 as possible calibers that could be loaded with black powder but finding a way to manufacture primers is going to be the key to all of this.

This is JMHO I know

delarey

Post by delarey » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:12 pm

I'm working on replacing .223, sooooo...
9mm
12ga

That should cover any conceivable situation I'd ever run into.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

The Twizzler
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead

Post by The Twizzler » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:06 pm

Well If I look at what ammo I have the most of currently
1. 22lr- Marlin 60
2. 9x18 Makarov-CZ82
3. 7.62x39-SKS
"Oh Bother!" said Pooh, as he drew his dagger...

AK49er
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Zombieland

Post by AK49er » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:30 am

357 Magnum
308 Winchester
12 gauge
AmirMortal wrote:I like the idea of spare ammo storage in those holes, but it would be more appealing if I wouldn't have to remove my butt pad.
Oneswunk wrote:Im going to come up with tactical yam powder... Millions I will make. :lol: :lol:

w3rdtoyamama
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil series.

Post by w3rdtoyamama » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:11 am

AK49er wrote:357 Magnum
308 Winchester
12 gauge
Powerhouse combo...then I saw location. Makes sense now. :clap:
Czechnology wrote:Lots of people enjoy saying "Move" when people complain about their local/state laws, but that's a churlish, ignorant thing to say.

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:03 pm

I think I'm going to go with

10mm
9mm

Though I might go with

9mm

Just not sure if I want more long guns or more pistols? If 10mm had some carbines I'd be sold on the 10mm
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:11 pm

MacAttack wrote:
flybynight wrote:Rather than picking just three calibers to stock pile. I think it makes more sense to keep firearms in various common calibers that you can scavenge. So if you have a AR, also have a AK or SKS. If you have a 9 mm, also have a .45,.357/.38 ect.

Think of it this way.
If you had to bug out in a hurry what would you carry?
I'm not bugging out. For any reason(Sorry Mac, Never saw your reply.)

John Titor was right

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:15 pm

Dogan wrote:
flybynight wrote:Rather than picking just three calibers to stock pile. I think it makes more sense to keep firearms in various common calibers that you can scavenge trade goods or services for in the PAW. So if you have a AR, also have a AK or SKS. If you have a 9 mm, also have a .45,.357/.38 ect.
Forum rules and all.

My current cache is running deep in:

9mm
7.62x54r

After I get my His and Hers set of AR's built, 5.56 will replace the 7.62.
:words: :words: :words:

John Titor was right

Return to “Initial Firearms Prepping Q&A”