Limiting your Cache to Three Calibers...

The place to discuss adding firearms to your emergency preparedness plans.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Brock Meatstone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead (2004)

Re: Limiting your Cache to Three Calibers...

Post by Brock Meatstone » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:50 pm

I'd have to go with boring practicality for my backwoods environs :cry:

.30-06
12 Gauge
.22 LR

Certainly covers all bases needed for big game, small game and fowl.

KnightoftheRoc

Post by KnightoftheRoc » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:52 pm

This one's easy for me- I only OWN three calibers, lol.
.22LR
12 ga.
.270WIN
None of them in the quantities I'd like, but enough for now- I've been focusing on my other preps. Soon, tho, maybe...
silentpoet wrote: My first two warning shots are aimed center of mass. If that don't warn them I fire warning shots at their head until they are warned enough that I am no longer in fear for my life.

Mall Ninja

Post by Mall Ninja » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:59 pm

I'm only caching 2; 5.56 and 9mm.
Maxim 24: Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a big gun.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:09 pm

majorhavoc wrote:I can't do it. I can't get it down to just three calibers. I tried, but my head exploded.
Me neither. :gonk:

I'm stocking:
-7.62x39
-45 ACP
-40 S&W
-22 LR

And I have atleast a couple hundred rounds each of:

- 12 gauge
-375 Ruger
-8mm Mauser
-30 cal carbine
-44 mag
-45 LC
-45 AR
-9mm
-357 mag
-38 spl
-327 mag

:gonk: :gonk: :gonk:
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Winston Smith
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Winston Smith » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:35 pm

I don't get why some people are soo reluctant to cut down their bugout armament. 12 gauge is pretty much a given, you probably want some kind of a handgun, and a rifle for longer range and hunting(particularly small game as the shotgun will work on bigger animals, so I'd suggest a AR15 shooting heavier loads for defense and lighter loads for hunting) Carrying 5 guns is going to be miserable, especially on foot, and what good is it to have an AR and a 30-06 or a .308? Guns carried should be highly versatile, and you don't need guns that only serve one very narrow purpose. Just think of a 3-gun competition, what do they use? MAYBE supplement that with .22 rifle for small game, and you have all your bases covered except sniping, and in those situations you should either be moving closer to the animal or evading/moving within range of the threat.
*BloodbathPB prior to 4JUN2012*

"To you it's JP8. To me it's a hallucinogen."-PV2 Winston Smith, Tikrit, Iraq 2003

AKFTW
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (remake), Land of the Dead, 28 Days Later, and Zombieland!

Post by AKFTW » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:23 pm

BloodbathPB wrote:I don't get why some people are soo reluctant to cut down their bugout armament. 12 gauge is pretty much a given, you probably want some kind of a handgun, and a rifle for longer range and hunting(particularly small game as the shotgun will work on bigger animals, so I'd suggest a AR15 shooting heavier loads for defense and lighter loads for hunting) Carrying 5 guns is going to be miserable, especially on foot, and what good is it to have an AR and a 30-06 or a .308? Guns carried should be highly versatile, and you don't need guns that only serve one very narrow purpose. Just think of a 3-gun competition, what do they use? MAYBE supplement that with .22 rifle for small game, and you have all your bases covered except sniping, and in those situations you should either be moving closer to the animal or evading/moving within range of the threat.
I totally agree, but to be fair, a lot of people like collecting various firearms they find cool or fun to shoot, and maybe they had an extensive collection before they got into prepping, or have a lot of money to burn on fun guns. I am a poor college student, but I had more guns at one time than I do now- I sold the ones that weren't extremely practical in favor of modifications to the ones I had to make them more practical. There are all sorts of guns I'd love to own, but I can barely afford to feed the 3 1/2 I have, and they will do everything I need them to do anyway.

TL;DR- Fewer guns, more ammo= A better shooter and more prepared
docdredd wrote:those pandas need to harden the fuck up

MacAttack

Post by MacAttack » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:56 pm

I have a little of everything I have a gun for.

But my main stock is in 9MM, 5.56, 12 gauge, and .22lr.

Domino

Post by Domino » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:46 am

3 is definately limiting your options. The calibers I stock are very available but keep in mind hand loading will help you aquire larger amounts of quality ammo without spending a fortune. Currently this is what I go for...

.308 Winchester
.223 Remington
.45 ACP
.357 Magnum
9X19
.22LR
12 Gauge

7 calibers seems to be about right for me right now, although I would really like to add .45 Colt as a heavy working gun caliber as well. If I had to absolutely had to limit it to 3 I would go with...

.45 ACP
.22LR

They will do more than the .223 and 9X19 so I would sacrifice the size and convience of the smaller calibers for performance under those circumstances.

TDW586
Location: Here, unless I'm not, in which case, somewhere else

Post by TDW586 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:30 am

I pretty much do only "cache" three calibers. I own guns in quite a few other calibers, but there are only three I am concerned about having ample stock of for prep purposes.

5.56/.223
.40 S&W
.22 LR

I also keep a decent amount of .38 Special, 12 gauge, and 20 gauge on hand, but that's mainly for fun and training. There's nothing I would need to do in a disaster, collapse, or emergency situation that cannot be done with those three calibers. In the future I may be switching to 9mm in place of .40, but other than that I'm content with what I have.

Sent from my SGH-T839 using Tapatalk

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:09 am

BloodbathPB wrote:I don't get why some people are soo reluctant to cut down their bugout armament. 12 gauge is pretty much a given, you probably want some kind of a handgun, and a rifle for longer range and hunting(particularly small game as the shotgun will work on bigger animals, so I'd suggest a AR15 shooting heavier loads for defense and lighter loads for hunting) Carrying 5 guns is going to be miserable, especially on foot, and what good is it to have an AR and a 30-06 or a .308? Guns carried should be highly versatile, and you don't need guns that only serve one very narrow purpose. Just think of a 3-gun competition, what do they use? MAYBE supplement that with .22 rifle for small game, and you have all your bases covered except sniping, and in those situations you should either be moving closer to the animal or evading/moving within range of the threat.
Well, the OP was trying to limit his cache to three calibers, not "What three firearms are you going to carry on your person, all-day every-day after the SHTF". There's plenty of those threads around here.

So in that sense, it doesn't matter if you stockpile 20,000 rounds in three different calibers or five (or six or eight), cause you can't carry it all everywhere you go.....Hence the "cache/stockpile".

And even if you can refine your choices down to three calibers, nobody says you should only own one firearm in each of those calibers.....The best "repair parts kit" is an identical firearm (or three or four) of the same make/model. "One is none, and two is one" and such.
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD04, Special Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 ______ Later

Post by Jamie » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:13 am

I have most of my ammo in 7.62, 12G, 22lr, and 30.06, but also have significant amounts flor the other guns in my collection...

J
"I don't want to survive. I want to live. " - Captain B. McCrea

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

Winston Smith
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Winston Smith » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:32 pm

For you Survival Podcast Subscribers, Jack addressed this exact question on todays PC (#878) around the 34:30 mark. His opinion: .22 rifle(Ruger 10-22), Rem 870/Mossberg 500, .45(1911), .308 (Remington 700 or other Scoped Bolt Action)

"To you it's JP8. To me it's a hallucinogen."-PV2 Winston Smith, Tikrit, Iraq 2003

Paladin1

Post by Paladin1 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:56 pm

I have mine down to 5:

9MM
12ga

But with the advent of MK318, combined with tried and true Green Tip, I'm starting to think the .308 is not needed. 5.56 with the right load should cover off on most everything in my AO.

That would get me to 4. If I had to go to 3 it would be .22/ 5.56/9mm
WWSD?

Browning 35
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004).
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Omega Man

Post by Browning 35 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:16 pm

I guess if I just HAD TO pick 3 calibers it would be...
  • .22LR (plinking/for small game/Inexpensive as hell)
  • 9mm (my chosen EDC/Self defense caliber)
  • .308 Win (general purpose/readily available/can take anything in N. America)
...but like others have said I don't think that I could get down that low.

So add...
  • 12 Ga. (I guess I could absolutely make do without a shotgun, but I'd sure miss them)
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote:Why do you want to shoot penguins? What did they ever do to you?
It's that smug, superior attitude of theirs, strutting around in their fancy outfits like they're better than everyone else. Yeah, burn in hell, you snobbish bird bastards.

And don't get me started on pandas!

Winston Smith
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Winston Smith » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:44 pm

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say skip the .22 and use a lighter .223 round with an AR for small game hunting, then bring the 9mm and 12 ga. Shotgun ammo availability is going to be great post-SHTF compared to other calibers, and I think you'd be better to make the AR platform work for small game/varmint and bringing the .22's weight in ammo .223 than to go to a 4th weapon platform.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:11 am

BloodbathPB wrote:I'm gonna go out on a limb and say skip the .22 and use a lighter .223 round with an AR for small game hunting, then bring the 9mm and 12 ga. Shotgun ammo availability is going to be great post-SHTF compared to other calibers, and I think you'd be better to make the AR platform work for small game/varmint and bringing the .22's weight in ammo .223 than to go to a 4th weapon platform.
I would go the other route, and eliminate the 12ga, and instead go with the .22. IMHO, the .223 is a bit...feisty for small game (rabbits, squirrels, etc) but for most of the US (short of those horses some folks call deer, elk, and moose) the 5.56 with a good load is adequate for main hunting.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD04, Special Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 ______ Later

Post by Jamie » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:17 am

IMHO, taking 22lr out of the equation is silly...outside of PAW movies, you're much more likely to need food than to stand off against hordes of raiders or the undead...I can stock 10,000 rounds of 22lr for very little money and in very little space, and be eating birds and squirrels for years...

JMHO, ymmv,

Jamie

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:19 am

Jamie wrote:IMHO, taking 22lr out of the equation is silly...outside of PAW movies, you're much more likely to need food than to stand off against hordes of raiders or the undead...I can stock 10,000 rounds of 22lr for very little money and in very little space, and be eating birds and squirrels for years...

JMHO, ymmv,

Jamie
There are place son the interwebs where you can order 8k rounds shipped for the same price as 300 rounds of 12ga. The old double deuce is also easy to suppress and train with, if you and your legislature are into that sort of thing.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Jamie » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:30 am

Doc Torr wrote:
Jamie wrote:IMHO, taking 22lr out of the equation is silly...outside of PAW movies, you're much more likely to need food than to stand off against hordes of raiders or the undead...I can stock 10,000 rounds of 22lr for very little money and in very little space, and be eating birds and squirrels for years...

JMHO, ymmv,

Jamie
There are place son the interwebs where you can order 8k rounds shipped for the same price as 300 rounds of 12ga. The old double deuce is also easy to suppress and train with, if you and your legislature are into that sort of thing.
Plus, there are fun/cheap gimmick rounds for the 22lr, like the Aguila Super Colibri, which is a primer only round that makes no sound other than the hammer falling, and with which I've taken multiple squirrels out of the same tree from my deck without the others noticing...

Jamie

kbilly84

Post by kbilly84 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:31 am

I'm with all you guys saying it'd be hard to narrow down to just three. If I had to, I'd go with 5.56, 9mm and .22LR. But my brain just can't get over losing the 12 ga. That's what I do 99 % of my hunting with (Shotgun-only deer zone, no rifles allowed). I'd almost feel naked not having it around.

If I had my druthers, I'd definitely add the 12ga. Depending on where I am, I may even want that over the .22. Some sort bolt-action would be nice, ideally .30-06. But I can get along just fine with only 5.56, 9mm, .22 and 12ga.

pyzik
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (both), 28 Days and Weeks Later, Quarantine

Post by pyzik » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:24 am

Mine is pretty much the same...

9mm (M&P)
.22 (S&W 622 & 10/22)
.223 (Saiga)
12ga. (Ithaca)
Preparing to prep.

KnightoftheRoc

Post by KnightoftheRoc » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:39 pm

BloodbathPB wrote:I'm gonna go out on a limb and say skip the .22 and use a lighter .223 round with an AR for small game hunting, then bring the 9mm and 12 ga. Shotgun ammo availability is going to be great post-SHTF compared to other calibers, and I think you'd be better to make the AR platform work for small game/varmint and bringing the .22's weight in ammo .223 than to go to a 4th weapon platform.
I like the AR platform, but instead of getting a ton of lighter load .223, I'd rather get a .22 conversion kit and stock a gazillion rounds of .22LR, instead. For the ammo weight alone, I'd rather carry 50-100 rounds of .22LR than 60 rounds of .223.

Plus, if I spot a deer while wabbit hunting, and want it, the conversion can come out, swap mags, and it's deer season! No, it's wabbit season. Dear season! Wabbit season!...
silentpoet wrote: My first two warning shots are aimed center of mass. If that don't warn them I fire warning shots at their head until they are warned enough that I am no longer in fear for my life.

FrANkNstEin

Post by FrANkNstEin » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:18 am

For me, it´d be

.22lr

.223 and .357 is what i´d most likely bring, .22´s could be shot out of my .223 with an "adapter cartridge" that includes a translator from centerfire to rimfire. (there´s no rimfire conversion available for my .223).

.357 because i have a lever action carbine in that caliber, not because i tote around a Revolver in case you where wondering. (I´d love to add one for ammo commonality with the carbine though. Maybe later down the road)

shoggoth80
Favorite Zombie Movies: Too many to list in total. The Romero films are classic... but Fido cracks me up!

Post by shoggoth80 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:29 am

I see the logic in keeping the stockpile limited in scope. For me that is 7.62x39, .45acp, though I really want to stock more 9x18, and. 22lr.

Return to “Initial Firearms Prepping Q&A”