Shooting what fits you vs commonality of parts & mags?

The place to discuss adding firearms to your emergency preparedness plans.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Commonality/availability of parts or stock parts and shoot whats comfortable?

Shoot whats comfortable & stock up
73%
Stick to the more common platform
27%

Total votes: 15

JF89
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido , Dead Set (tv show) ,28 days/weeks later.

Shooting what fits you vs commonality of parts & mags?

Post by JF89 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:33 pm

Ive been thinking on this a lot lately after being forced to sell my guns to keep up with bills.

Most modern pistols will go 5-10k with little maintenance , meaning buying a spare and stocking spare parts should last you many many years. Does parts availability or commonality really matter?

I mean im really really liking the CZ P0-7 or IWI Jericho 941, ive shot and handled both although im leaning towards the CZ because its lighter but it's pretty even. The other route is Glock which I have the most trigger time with but its not as comfortable and has a shitty trigger but its super common meaning mags and parts are technically "easier to find".

My gut is telling me im over thinking this to buy what is most comfortable and stock up on parts and mags but the current situation in Oregon has me sort of shook up, either way what's your take on this?

woodsghost

Re: Shooting what fits you vs commonality of parts & mags?

Post by woodsghost » Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:50 pm

I you should just stick up on what you currently like and stock up. If we get to a point where guns are breaking down due to wear and tear and parts are not available, then we will likely have a thriving market of stolen or battlefield pickup guns you can replace your workhorse with. The choices will probably not be as pleasant, but they will be there. Based on what I know of black and used markets in other countries which have faced these situations, I would expect to pay the modern equivalent of $1000-$2000 for a Glock, or possibly a few chickens or a goat, depending on current market conditions.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Lettuce Pray
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland
Location: 40th and Plumb-- 40 miles from nowhere and plumb out of sight

Post by Lettuce Pray » Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:56 pm

I voted option A. As long as it is reliable, buy what is comfortable and you are more likely to practice with. That will probably be the best option 99% of the time. Buying an extra gun for parts will only make that option more attractive. However, if we are preparing for zombie PAW, my choice changes. Fortunate for me, I love the 5th generation G17 and I shoot it well so I wouldn't have to choose.

JF89
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido , Dead Set (tv show) ,28 days/weeks later.

Post by JF89 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:02 pm

Lettuce Pray wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:56 pm
I voted option A. As long as it is reliable, buy what is comfortable and you are more likely to practice with. That will probably be the best option 99% of the time. Buying an extra gun for parts will only make that option more attractive. However, if we are preparing for zombie PAW, my choice changes. Fortunate for me, I love the 5th generation G17 and I shoot it well so I wouldn't have to choose.
I like the Glock but I just really prefer the p-07 ergonomics.

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by 91Eunozs » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:29 pm

If we’ve learned anything since ‘12, ‘16, and now all of 2020 it’s that common does not equal available in a time of crisis...real or imagined.

Stack deep when you can.
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

boskone

Post by boskone » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:39 pm

I don't think it's a binary choice. There's too many factors.

How uncommon is the comfortable option? How uncomfortable is the common option? What's your objective, something that'll do the job and be reasonably well-supported or a target gun?

That said, I would do both. Get a Glock, 'cause if anything'll be common it'll be Glock. Then get a P-07 as the fun gun.

...says the guy who's "common gun" is a 1911. :p I was going to shift my "service" gun to a Glock, then COVID. :p

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:56 am

If it comes down to it, the reason for a defensive firearm is defensive action.

Pick what you're best with because you want every advantage.
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

tony d tiger

Post by tony d tiger » Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:50 am

At this point, even if there was a big selection of firearms to choose from, I'd be more apt to focus on ammo for what I already have.

Interesting to note the date of OP.

So if you don't already have a firearm I'd say buy whatever is on the shelf and as many boxes of ammo you can for it. :ooh:

If you haven't, already, that is. :words:
Tony D Tiger

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:11 am

boskone wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:39 pm
I don't think it's a binary choice. There's too many factors.
This. Very much this.

Your DG of choice may not be common. Doesn't mean the caliber can't be.

raptor2
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by raptor2 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:50 pm

91Eunozs wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:29 pm
If we’ve learned anything since ‘12, ‘16, and now all of 2020 it’s that common does not equal available in a time of crisis...real or imagined.

Stack deep when you can.
A lot of truth in this statement. Though honestly it is bit late to be stocking deep right now.
Duco Ergo Sum

raptor2 is the new profile name for raptor.
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=8190

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:25 pm

raptor2 wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:50 pm
91Eunozs wrote:

Stack deep when you can.
A lot of truth in this statement. Though honestly it is bit late to be stocking deep right now.
Re: stacking deep,

For pistols, yes. For rifles? What I saw in '12 was that odd ball calibers are king if you did not stack deep preemptively. Soviet calibers were a good choice and still, in this crisis, I would point to them as the best choice for late comers. Yes, they will still hit the wallet, but not as hard as the NATO calibers.

For pistol? 7.62x25 is $1.50+ a round and 9x18 seems non-existent, but 9x19 is available. In that case, I'd say the NATO win. My experience with '12 was that 40 S&W was the most available. Checking online, I feel 9x19 edges out 40 S&W slightly for late comers.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by 91Eunozs » Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:19 pm

Yeah, ironically one round almost always in stock at my local Academy Sports is 450 Bushmaster...a round I already shoot and reload! Still a lot more $ per round than my usual .223/5.56 fare, but at least available.

Seriously considered picking up something in 243 or 270 Winchester; seems like that’s always available too. As well as 300 WinMag, and 50 BMG plus 454 Casull and 500 S&W for hand gun ammo. So gtg if I need to go hunting dinosaurs! :lol:
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:51 pm

91Eunozs wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:19 pm
So gtg if I need to go hunting dinosaurs! :lol:
Shhhhh!!! Dammit! 2020 isn't over yet! Jeeper might get his Jerrasic Park before Christmas!

raptor2
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by raptor2 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:12 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:25 pm
raptor2 wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:50 pm
91Eunozs wrote:

Stack deep when you can.
Re: stacking deep,

For pistols, yes. For rifles? What I saw in '12 was that odd ball calibers are king if you did not stack deep preemptively. Soviet calibers were a good choice and still, in this crisis, I would point to them as the best choice for late comers. Yes, they will still hit the wallet, but not as hard as the NATO calibers.

For pistol? 7.62x25 is $1.50+ a round and 9x18 seems non-existent, but 9x19 is available. In that case, I'd say the NATO win. My experience with '12 was that 40 S&W was the most available. Checking online, I feel 9x19 edges out 40 S&W slightly for late comers.

Agreed. My statement was more along the lines of pricing. Ammoseek has 9x19 @ $.48 per round vs the $.199 per round in Dec 2019.
Duco Ergo Sum

raptor2 is the new profile name for raptor.
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=8190

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:06 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:51 pm
91Eunozs wrote:
Shhhhh!!! Dammit! 2020 isn't over yet! Jeeper might get his Jerrasic Park before Christmas!
We're going Dino hunting boys... Who's in??
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:15 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:06 pm
woodsghost wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:51 pm
91Eunozs wrote:
We're going Dino hunting boys... Who's in??
Damnit, now I need to get some grenades for my rifle grenade launcher. The paperwork on those things is a PITA. :?
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:41 pm

As others have said, the Market at large might not be a dependable source of parts or replacements in times of trouble; although I'd say the market disruptions follow a fairly predictable pattern, and those parts being more common and cheaper the 3.5 out of 4 years more than makes up for a few months of drought.

What is far more important is what the people in your immediate circle carry and stock. If you have any gun friends they are going to have spare parts and spare accoutrements (holsters being a big one) to test drive, or get you through a bind. Get 5 or 6 glock or AR people together and more often than not you could cobble an entire spare gun together from the parts that inevitably accumulate. A good personal example is that I want to send off my glock slide to get milled for an optic, but very much do not want to be without a daily carry gun for 2 or 3 weeks (in November possibly of all times), but fortunately a local ZSer has a spare slide I can borrow to get me through.

For rifles the advantages are even more acute; I've had to borrow BCGs and often entire uppers to get me through competitions when some problem or another had put my system temporarily out of commission.

Ammunition and magazine commonality is perhaps an overstated advantage in the context of normal, rational prepping, but if you do want to expand your sphere of concern into more paranoid or extreme scenarios this becomes paramount.
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

moab

Post by moab » Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:10 am

RonnyRonin wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:41 pm
As others have said, the Market at large might not be a dependable source of parts or replacements in times of trouble; although I'd say the market disruptions follow a fairly predictable pattern, and those parts being more common and cheaper the 3.5 out of 4 years more than makes up for a few months of drought.

What is far more important is what the people in your immediate circle carry and stock. If you have any gun friends they are going to have spare parts and spare accoutrements (holsters being a big one) to test drive, or get you through a bind. Get 5 or 6 glock or AR people together and more often than not you could cobble an entire spare gun together from the parts that inevitably accumulate. A good personal example is that I want to send off my glock slide to get milled for an optic, but very much do not want to be without a daily carry gun for 2 or 3 weeks (in November possibly of all times), but fortunately a local ZSer has a spare slide I can borrow to get me through.

For rifles the advantages are even more acute; I've had to borrow BCGs and often entire uppers to get me through competitions when some problem or another had put my system temporarily out of commission.

Ammunition and magazine commonality is perhaps an overstated advantage in the context of normal, rational prepping, but if you do want to expand your sphere of concern into more paranoid or extreme scenarios this becomes paramounut.
Very well said.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:29 am

moab wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:10 am
RonnyRonin wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:41 pm

Ammunition and magazine commonality is perhaps an overstated advantage in the context of normal, rational prepping, but if you do want to expand your sphere of concern into more paranoid or extreme scenarios this becomes paramounut.
Very well said.
Agreed. I don't see any of this as superfluous or such.

moab

Post by moab » Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:07 pm

I think rons comments hold up with ammo too. I've seen threads about picking oddball arms as oddball ammo is always left last. But once that initial shortage turns into outright absence. You're going to have a much easier time finding 9mm or 5.56 than some oddball caliber. That no one you know carries or collects.

Not to mention if you wanted to trade said ammo. Harder to find another user with that oddball arm.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

PistolPete
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by PistolPete » Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:38 pm

I like to think of oddball ammo as best used for back up and occasional use guns. In my area at least, you can find clearance rifles and pistols in odd cartridges. So while I'm not using 45 GAP as a day to day gun, having one as a backup to your every day 9mm Glock would make sense, for those times when 9mm is rare. 45 GAP is still as available as it was and the same price as before. That price isn't great, but better than nothing.

I'm seeing a lot of ammo in stock for 260 Remington and 300 Weatherby. Both have fallen out of favor in recent years for cartridge names that start with 6.5. Heck, I'd argue that 260 Remington is a superior cartridge to 6.5 Creedmoor for most people's uses, but Creedmoor sells now and 260 doesn't. Having your hunting rifle in 308 with a backup in 260 Remington or 300 Weatherby would be super handy right now. As calibers go out of vogue the rifles tend to get cheap as the manufacturers, especially the big box stores, liquidate.

Now the trick is to not get stuck with something that ends up unsupported. 45 GAP is on the verge of being unsupported. 30 Remington AR comes to mind as well. All of the WSSM cartridges. 270 Weatherby, 35 Whelen, 7mm WSM and 257 Roberts all seem to be there as well. 400 Corbon comes to mind in the pistol realm. So it's that balance of finding something odd to use as a back up that is still going to be generally available in 10 years.

A bonus goes to rounds that can be made from other brass. You can make 280 Remington or 35 Whelen from 30-06 brass. But 6.8 SPC? That's a weird size and you're not going to find another round that can be easily formed into the right size. You could neck down 40 S&W into 357 Sig in a pinch, but the case is going to be a little short. The variations are endless. But a cartridge that can be formed from another cartridge is handy.

Last thought is a revolver that can shoot multiple cartridges. 357 can use 38 special and maybe even certain old timey 38 cartridges depending on your gun. A gun that shoots 327 can shoot 32 H&R Magnum, 32 S&W Long and even 32 ACP. A S&W 460 can also fire 454 Cassul, 45 Colt and 45 Cowboy Special. Having something like that as a practice gun increases the chance you can find ammo during a panic.

For every day use 9mm, 5.56 and 308 still rule the day. But having a backup gun that uses something weird is a reasonable idea for moments like this. My bug out pistol is a Glock that came with a 40 S&W barrel that runs a 9mm barrel right now and I've got a 357 Sig barrel I got cheap for it as well. That gives me 3 choices of ammo for it, although I need two types of magazines to make that work and the POI for the 40 isn't the same as the 9mm, it's off by a few inches at 25 yards. But it allows me to use any of those ammo types to practice or in a pinch.
Steemit, where I write stuff now

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:13 pm

I feel there are several contexts and several variations in the answers here:

Do you buy a pistol with common parts availability or do you buy a pistol which fits you well?

Do you buy a common caliber or a specialized caliber and stack it deep?

What about the Rifle world?

What do you do pre-disaster?

What do you do mid-disaster?

If someone came to me today and wanted to get a pistol and 2000 rounds of ammo to train with and be prepared for rainy days, I would totally suggest a Glock in 45 GAP. The pistol would be priced around or slightly less than the going rate for a 9mm Glock. There are parts commonly available (not barrels, but I assume holsters, sights, lights, etc are pretty compatible). The practice ammo is half what 9mm is ($.30/per vs $.50-$.60/per) and the duty ammo is half what 9mm costs ($.55/per vs $1.00+/per). The money saved on ammo will pay for the gun when compared to 9mm.

Is this the advice I would have given in January 2020? No. But in January, we had the luxury of choice in guns, accessories, and really cheap ammo. Now we don't have those luxuries.

So what does someone who invested in 45 GAP do in 2-4 years when their ammo supply runs out? Well, either the world will be chill and it will make sense to invest in 9mm if one wishes to continue a prepared life, or there will be battlefield pickups as we all ride the roads in badass leather wearing great tans and hanging with super models.

Just my thoughts. But the context is key here. Pre-disaster vs ....."whatever this current experience proves to be."

Edit: checking the used market, Glocks or Springfields in 45 GAP are running $450-$550 right now.

Double Edit: what about the "post disaster" context? If I remember from Selco and Ferfal, if you believe either of them, they chose Glocks in 9mm. Why? I don't remember any logic being given. But I think I remember Selco saying he stashed whatever guns he could get his hands on without regard to caliber. What I think I'm hearing from people who have been there is: in a bad situation you just get your hands on "a gun" and "some ammo" without worrying too much about gun fit or ammo commonality as long as you happen to have *some* ammo for that gun.

moab

Post by moab » Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:41 pm

"Last thought is a revolver that can shoot multiple cartridges. 357 can use 38 special and maybe even certain old timey 38 cartridges depending on your gun. A gun that shoots 327 can shoot 32 H&R Magnum, 32 S&W Long and even 32 ACP. A S&W 460 can also fire 454 Cassul, 45 Colt and 45 Cowboy Special. Having something like that as a practice gun increases the chance you can find ammo during a panic."

This. And the comments about your glock taking different barrels. I have a glock 32 that i think i can do the same with. I know i can do 9mm. Reminds me i need to get that barrel. Although to late now. Most likely.

moab

Post by moab » Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:04 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:13 pm
I feel there are several contexts and several variations in the answers here:

Do you buy a pistol with common parts availability or do you buy a pistol which fits you well?

Do you buy a common caliber or a specialized caliber and stack it deep?

What about the Rifle world?

What do you do pre-disaster?

What do you do mid-disaster?

If someone came to me today and wanted to get a pistol and 2000 rounds of ammo to train with and be prepared for rainy days, I would totally suggest a Glock in 45 GAP. The pistol would be priced around or slightly less than the going rate for a 9mm Glock. There are parts commonly available (not barrels, but I assume holsters, sights, lights, etc are pretty compatible). The practice ammo is half what 9mm is ($.30/per vs $.50-$.60/per) and the duty ammo is half what 9mm costs ($.55/per vs $1.00+/per). The money saved on ammo will pay for the gun when compared to 9mm.

Is this the advice I would have given in January 2020? No. But in January, we had the luxury of choice in guns, accessories, and really cheap ammo. Now we don't have those luxuries.

So what does someone who invested in 45 GAP do in 2-4 years when their ammo supply runs out? Well, either the world will be chill and it will make sense to invest in 9mm if one wishes to continue a prepared life, or there will be battlefield pickups as we all ride the roads in badass leather wearing great tans and hanging with super models.

Just my thoughts. But the context is key here. Pre-disaster vs ....."whatever this current experience proves to be."

Edit: checking the used market, Glocks or Springfields in 45 GAP are running $450-$550 right now.

Double Edit: what about the "post disaster" context? If I remember from Selco and Ferfal, if you believe either of them, they chose Glocks in 9mm. Why? I don't remember any logic being given. But I think I remember Selco saying he stashed whatever guns he could get his hands on without regard to caliber. What I think I'm hearing from people who have been there is: in a bad situation you just get your hands on "a gun" and "some ammo" without worrying too much about gun fit or ammo commonality as long as you happen to have *some* ammo for that gun.
I think your right. I think the answer is to buy as many guns that are modular (glock, revolvers etc.) Like mentioned above. Get used to them if u aren't. And collect ammo, barrels and parts for them. This does not take into account the current market. We'll have to see what happens in the coming weeks and months.

I've read Selco and taken his course. I would assume guns arent as readily available as here. So any gun would probably do.

Current market not withstanding i would think a go to recommendation for post massive disaster would be an AR lower and a few uppers in different caliber. Then a glock with different caliber barrels. And perhaps back up revolvers in 357/38. With parts and ammo to go with it. Or some leo turn in glocks for cheaper backups. Although everytime i price those out i get so close to new. Its hard to justify.

Still if one were bugging out or on foot. You cant take it all with you. Id still end up leaving with 5.56 and 9mm - arms and ammo.

I have not priced out anything in the last few months. So i have no idea how bad it is. But i do see PSA is still selling ar's. Have not shopped for ammo or anything else. I do have 750rds of 7.62 that need a gun to go with. But i have not found anything in Kommiefornia to suffice. I may have to break out my AK build tools.

This thread is full of wisdom. But ya. A couple different scenarios being discussed. It always comes down to those of us that are disaster preppers and paw preppers. Wisdom in both.

PS - I forgot to mention .22. I'd take that as well. Even if it were a small or target pistol.

Return to “Initial Firearms Prepping Q&A”