Feels like it’s time to start stocking the caches...

The place to discuss adding firearms to your emergency preparedness plans.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Re: Feels like it’s time to start stocking the caches...

Post by NT2C » Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:42 am

Higher shipping cost though.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:28 pm

NT2C wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:39 am

Got yours $10 less than I did, but I wore my slippers and sweatpants while doing my shopping.
I just walked into the store looking for something else and picked up the sales advertisement and thought for sure they were out. There were 6 boxes left and a lady was there buying all 6 but I reminded her the rebate was good for only 5 boxes and picked up the last box she put back.

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:02 pm

for cash and carry in California 8-)

WalMart has these .22 caliber Federal rounds for $19.99 in 40gr copper plated round nose

My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by 91Eunozs » Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:54 pm

Anyone have experience with surplus Yugoslavian ammo? Or the ammunition store for that matter...I’ve must have ordered from them in the past at some point to get these ads (unless someone sold my info), but honestly don’t recall.

http://ammunitionstore.com/products/45- ... d-box.html

Don’t really need any more .45 ACP right now, but 50 rounds of brass cased 230 gr ball ammo for under $10 is tough to pass up...I can stack the training supplies seriously deep at that price.
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:38 am

91Eunozs wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:54 pm
Anyone have experience with surplus Yugoslavian ammo? Or the ammunition store for that matter...I’ve must have ordered from them in the past at some point to get these ads (unless someone sold my info), but honestly don’t recall.

Don’t really need any more .45 ACP right now, but 50 rounds of brass cased 230 gr ball ammo for under $10 is tough to pass up...I can stack the training supplies seriously deep at that price.
Nice price but it could be corrosive. You'll need to do a proper cleaning after every shooting session with it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 91Eunozs » Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:13 pm

NT2C wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:38 am
91Eunozs wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:54 pm

Nice price but it could be corrosive. You'll need to do a proper cleaning after every shooting session with it.
Great catch... I didn’t look at the specs. 1962 vintage; almost certainly corrosive primers. Not necessarily a problem, but I go through a lot of .45 when out at the ranch, with a fair amount of time (a day or two) before the pistols get really detail stripped and cleaned.

Thanks!
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 91Eunozs » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:04 pm

Looking back on this thread, it’s clear I misunderestimated the impact of a contested election. And especially the Orwellian deplatforming of anything and anyone not in agreement with the party line. I’ll stop there because that’s not the point of this entry.

Anyone considering selling some of their stores right now? Prices are unreal...I’m seriously thinking of cashing out a big chunk to build a detached garage with a small 1 bedroom guest house at our new place that’s nicer and on more land, but a lot smaller than our old house. I’d consider using it to buy more gold or silver, but that’s almost as expensive right now too.

But then I wonder if this isn’t going to get better...and go out early to get in line on my days off to stock even deeper; albeit in much smaller increments. :(

Without getting into the political side of this, just wondering what y’all think...

woodsghost
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by woodsghost » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:27 pm

91Eunozs wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:04 pm
Looking back on this thread, it’s clear I misunderestimated the impact of a contested election. And especially the Orwellian deplatforming of anything and anyone not in agreement with the party line. I’ll stop there because that’s not the point of this entry.

Anyone considering selling some of their stores right now? Prices are unreal...I’m seriously thinking of cashing out a big chunk to build a detached garage with a small 1 bedroom guest house at our new place that’s nicer and on more land, but a lot smaller than our old house. I’d consider using it to buy more gold or silver, but that’s almost as expensive right now too.

But then I wonder if this isn’t going to get better...and go out early to get in line on my days off to stock even deeper; albeit in much smaller increments. :(

Without getting into the political side of this, just wondering what y’all think...
I'm sitting on what I have. If things get better then cool. But I'm not expecting things to get much better in the next 4-6 years.

I would buy BB and airsoft versions of guns and start training with those. But I don't know how much you have and how badly you need a garage.

Basically, I suspect now is the time to build. I expect prices to increase and devaluation of the currency to catch up.

Also, even if ammo becomes more available, with the devaluation of the currency I expect prices to be 50-100% higher in the future.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:32 pm

91Eunozs wrote:

I had planned a range trip for this afternoon that I canceled, partly because I'm loath to expend any precious ammo right now. I may change my mind again and go tomorrow. I definitely need the range time.

Current Weather in My AO

MacWa77ace
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Post by MacWa77ace » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:41 pm

91Eunozs wrote:

Just this morning I was looking at a can of 420 xm855 on stripper clips for $400 and shaking my head, that same can I got on sale about 14 months ago for $114 no shipping or tax. Almost 4X higher.

The perfect storm of new gun owners, covid related plant shutdowns and delays, pollical unrest and a breakdown of law and order in certain regions creating fear, has ammo in short supply.
I've also heard/read that the US manufacturers of ammo are investing in new machinery and personnel for additional lines of production. So eventually it will not be in short supply is my guess.

If you think you have more than you need if the apocalypse happened tomorrow, then Billy Ray Valentine says, "sell the excess at 4 times the price". But then don't complain about price gouging from those certain infamous online sellers if you do.

Lifetime gamer watch at:
MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

woodsghost
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by woodsghost » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:06 pm

Now might be a good time to meet some friends. There is stuff being passed between me and some friends. Maybe check on someone who might not be stocked as deep but can help out if needed.

Or build a garage.

If things go the way *I* think they will go, I think you will want to plan for 10 years out before life settles into a new normal. But who knows? I'm just a dude on the internet and have no more credibility than most other people.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

raptor2
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor2 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:11 pm

91Eunozs wrote:

My $.02 (or in the case of ammo $10.00).

The price of ammo is going up for the foreseeable future. There is no way the ammo will be cheaper in 3 months, 6 months or likely even longer. There may be future restrictions on P2P sales, which may also play into the decision or it may not. There will likely be tax increases on all ammo & components. The price is not going to decline soon (ever?).
My advice is keep the ammo.

If you need money for home improvement do a cash out refi and pay the silly low interest rate of 3% +/-. The debt is self liquidating to the extent of the inflation rate. It will add value to home #2.

On an unrelated note with all ammo now rare and expensive you need to make sure you have it secured, out of site and under lock and key. A single ammo can of 5.56 can be worth $1,000+ to a thief.
Duco Ergo Sum

raptor2 is the new profile name for raptor.
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=8190

RoneKiln

Post by RoneKiln » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:06 pm

91Eunozs wrote:

Yes, but not yet. I've seen it worse, and I expect it to get worse this year. But I'll only sell or trade stuff I bought a few years ago when prices were bottomed out specifically for resale during the next panic. Unfortunately that won't be as much as I had planned cause several family members wouldn't listen till now and I've decided to help them out. :vmad:
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:56 am

I kinda sorta saw this coming, unfortunately I'd been in a bad job for a few years just prior to the first big spike in prices. I had a decent personal stock, but I'd said months before that if I had the money I'd buy a few thousand just to sell before the election. I actually ended up selling 500 9mm and 500 .223 as my hours were being cut back for COVID, but only for double what I paid. I was glad to have the cash at the time and it bought a lot of piece of mind going into uncertain times so I don't regret it.

Now I'm definitely not selling a single round unless a good friend comes up in dire need; I expect prices to go down soonish but I'm not betting on it. I have a much better job now so as soon as prices drop I'll start buying back in; like raptor I feel the window to easily buy ammo closing and just need one last tiny dip to put away a bit more for future children. If they return to anything resembling normal prices (hey, I can dream) I'm finally in a place to make good on hot air I've been blowing for years about investing.
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 91Eunozs » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:44 am

raptor2 wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:11 pm
91Eunozs wrote:

The price of ammo is going up for the foreseeable future. There is no way the ammo will be cheaper in 3 months, 6 months or likely even longer. There may be future restrictions on P2P sales, which may also play into the decision or it may not. There will likely be tax increases on all ammo & components. The price is not going to decline soon (ever?).

If you need money for home improvement do a cash out refi and pay the silly low interest rate of 3% +/-. The debt is self liquidating to the extent of the inflation rate. It will add value to home #2.

On an unrelated note with all ammo now rare and expensive you need to make sure you have it secured, out of site and under lock and key. A single ammo can of 5.56 can be worth $1,000+ to a thief.

Well said... esp. the point about securing the stuff at my house better and more discreetly. The freedom seed vault is pretty visible to some of the contractors we’ve had out...getting the driveway widened and extended plus a couple more slabs and privacy rock wall footings poured this weekend too. Some of those dudes looked like they just got out of prison...not judging, just an observation. We’re about a mile in from a gate that’s ‘guarded’ 24/7 (private security one step up from a mall cop), and we’re up on a ridge with a couple acres standoff on 3 sides, plus my neighbor’s high-fence lot on the other, so if they want to get to my place they’ll have to work for it...but yeah, don’t need to lay out any tempting targets.

We didn’t take out much of a mortgage considering the scope of this property, and what we did borrow was at 2.75% on a 30-year note that’ll be paid off in under 5 years as long as I keep working. Almost free money considering inflation. We have a lot of equity already built in, so the home equity line of credit may be the way to go...don’t think we’ll ever see interest rates this low again in my lifetime anyway. We also have some other property that we could sell, but I really don’t want to...I am considering cashing out of everything not in a 401K or IRA though and simply buying another investment property (don’t want to get back into the rental property game again though), or maybe just make improvements here.

That said, I have enough ammo here at the house to last me a few years at my typical training useage...and “a lot more” out at my buddy’s ranch in long-term storage. If I can truly get $1/round for 5.56mm I think I may have to part with enough to at least pay for a lift and some new fancy-pants garage cabinets. Will ponder a bit this weekend.

Will likely wait to see what happens over the next week regardless...gonna be interesting.
Last edited by 91Eunozs on Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 91Eunozs » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:45 am

RoneKiln wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:06 pm
91Eunozs wrote:

Yes, but not yet. I've seen it worse, and I expect it to get worse this year. But I'll only sell or trade stuff I bought a few years ago when prices were bottomed out specifically for resale during the next panic. Unfortunately that won't be as much as I had planned cause several family members wouldn't listen till now and I've decided to help them out. :vmad:
Building a solid support network has value too...

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 91Eunozs » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:00 am

...another option is to sell enough to pay for some NFA items; already ordered one new can last week, and likely another today after I get a couple hours sleep...just home from work; still working nights.

And maybe some decent night vision/thermal imaging gear too. Relatively available right now.

woodsghost
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by woodsghost » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:48 am

raptor2 wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:11 pm
91Eunozs wrote:

I just saw .357 Mag prices are nearly $4/round!?!? So 200 rounds of .357 Mag is over $700?!?!?
I looked at AmmoSeek. I don't know if I'll do THAT again in January (I will, but with more caution next time).

emclean
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido
Zombieland

Post by emclean » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:17 am

91Eunozs wrote:
I have sold several extra firearms, all have been ones that I have gotten "better" one but still had the original. (example would be my MKA 1919 that was replaced with an Armagon 12, cause it is so much easer to dissemble)
and I am thinking of seeing what I can get for a spam can of 7.62X54r, to finance an AR pistol

raptor2
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor2 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:46 am

91Eunozs wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:44 am
If I can truly get $1/round for 5.56mm I think I may have to part with enough to at least pay for a lift and some new fancy-pants garage cabinets. Will ponder a bit this weekend.
Remember it is not that the ammo may be worth $1/round but rather that the $3 loaf of bread is now a $12 loaf of bread. Look at the relationship of commodity prices to ammo.

I use the Big Mac Scale to judge inflation.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Mac_Index

Big Mac cost $2.39 in 2002
2020: $4.95
Duco Ergo Sum

raptor2 is the new profile name for raptor.
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=8190

tony d tiger

Post by tony d tiger » Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:31 am

raptor2 wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:46 am
91Eunozs wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:44 am
If I can truly get $1/round for 5.56mm I think I may have to part with enough to at least pay for a lift and some new fancy-pants garage cabinets. Will ponder a bit this weekend.
Remember it is not that the ammo may be worth $1/round but rather that the $3 loaf of bread is now a $12 loaf of bread. Look at the relationship of commodity prices to ammo.

I use the Big Mac Scale to judge inflation.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Mac_Index

Big Mac cost $2.39 in 2002
2020: $4.95
Funny. I use Arby's. Used to be 5 for $5 - now 2 for $6. :rofl: I think the Big Mac scale is closer to actual inflation rate.
Tony D Tiger

Zed Hunter

Post by Zed Hunter » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:22 am

Arby's 5 for $10.00 last night.

Return to “Initial Firearms Prepping Q&A”