Most common ammo's in US?

The place to discuss adding firearms to your emergency preparedness plans.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Re: Most common ammo's in US?

Post by NT2C » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:47 pm

Halfapint wrote:
KJ4VOV wrote:(Stuff I learned as a Navy Gunner's Mate 40+ years ago)
That's the kind of information that gives me hope. I figured cool dry place would be best spot for ammo. Stored in sealed ammo cans the ammo SHOULD be good for a number of years.
In 1974 we were shooting stuff that was still left over from WWII. Now, granted, ammunition storage in the Navy was taken very seriously (one of my duties was to check and record the previous day's maximum and minimum temperature in every magazine, cargo hold or deck locker that held ammunition or pyrotechnics on the entire ship), so pretty near ideal conditions for storage (we used up or sent back to depot anything that had prolonged exposure to high temps) but still, some of that stuff was over 30 years old and still functioned to spec. Store it right and ammo will last a long, long time.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

woodsghost
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by woodsghost » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:56 pm

I"ve shot a lot of Serbian ammo from the 70's. All of it works. I"ve shot Russian ammo from the 70's and all of it worked beautifully.

I also know a lot of pharmaceuticals last way beyond their expiration dates when stored and sealed in factory containers. The government knows this too and runs two different expiration dates, one for consumers, and one for government stockpiles. So *some* chemicals are very stable when stored properly.

Do your own due diligence before keeping drugs past their expiration dates though.

Also, I have shot ammo which was factory new and less than 12 months old and it had a 10% failure rate (centerfire, not rimfire...which is a whole different can of worms). So when I buy ammo for long term storage, I buy military grade stuff. It is not the most accurate, but it is usually has the best shelf life. I also like buying LE grade stuff for similar reasons. Governments and I happen to have a lot of the same processes for a lot of the same reasons.

Buying in hermetically sealed cans is also pretty cool.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

JF89
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido , Dead Set (tv show) ,28 days/weeks later.

Post by JF89 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:36 pm

What calibers would most likely be effected by an ammo ban?

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:20 am

JF89 wrote:What calibers would most likely be effected by an ammo ban?
Pretty much all or none. That's assuming you mean affected and not effected.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

JF89
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido , Dead Set (tv show) ,28 days/weeks later.

Post by JF89 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:09 am

KJ4VOV wrote:
Lol in the past the left has targeted specific calibers like 5.56, 30-06 etc etc.thats what I was asking about.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:20 am

JF89 wrote:
KJ4VOV wrote:
Lol in the past the left has targeted specific calibers like 5.56, 30-06 etc etc.thats what I was asking about.
I bet if there were some sort of non-universal ammo ban, it would be towards military/police rounds or rifle-out-of-pistol rounds.

But I think if there is going to be anything, it will be an insane tax so only rich people can shoot.
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:12 am

JF89 wrote:
KJ4VOV wrote:
Such a ban, at least in the US, has little chance of happening. I won't say "never", because that would be stupid. In any case, what you're talking about is a ban on specific cartridges, not calibers. (Caliber refers to the bullet diameter in small arms.)

The reason you won't see such a flat out ban in the US is because making and supplying that ammo is a multi-billion dollar industry (likely multi-trillion, I haven't researched the exact figures) in the US and because both cartridges are common hunting cartridges with the right bullets. (On the plus side, I'd almost be willing to bet that if such a ban did somehow get pushed, the law would be full of more holes than a stop sign on a deserted country road.)

Current Weather in My AO

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:17 am

JeeperCreeper wrote: But I think if there is going to be anything, it will be an insane tax so only rich people can shoot.
Possibly, but I think the resulting hue and cry from the pro gun side and the ammunition industry would be tremendous, and many congress critters would tremble in fear of seeing their re-election hopes vanish like a snowflake falling into a campfire.

In any case, it's hard to keep this topic from veering into politics, so I'll be bowing out now. G'day gents!

Current Weather in My AO

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:29 am

If you are worried about an ammo shortage I would note that ammo is still cheap. This is a good time to buy ammo for stockpile purposes.

echo83

Post by echo83 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:25 pm

moab wrote:
So I guess what I'm weighing in my mind. Is which ammo is lightest and most readily available?

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

moab

Post by moab » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:35 pm

echo83 wrote:
moab wrote:
So I guess what I'm weighing in my mind. Is which ammo is lightest and most readily available?

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Another election cycle and we might just be stockpiling that shit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

RoneKiln

Post by RoneKiln » Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:23 pm

AND... We're back into ammo shortages again. Welcome to 2020.

I went back through this whole thread and the discussion didn't seem to account for being out of ammo while you still have crates of it back home. I've been in training drills where we sometimes threw loaded magazines to each other to be able to finish the drill. Or someone not in the drill grabbed drop mags and reloaded them so the person in the drill could finish.

If the world is bad enough that we're worried about our stockpiles running out for reasons other than politics, it's bad enough to worry about running out just while out and about.

If the world is that bad, I'm not likely to be going out alone. I won't still be alive if I'm alone. What's left of my personal community will have pulled together and we're cooperating. It's the only way I could likely be alive. There may still be an economy of some sort going, but my kin (and likely everyone else) will be going to the market in armed groups.

If the world is that bad, being able to swap mags in the field is priceless. This why I am in the glock/AR camps with 9mm, .40 and .223/5.56. I have no argument that's inherently better to any other weaponry. That's just weaponry near everyone I know has.

If everyone I knew carried 1911s in 45 and primarily used FALs in 308, I'd stock those much deeper.

If everyone I knew used Ruger LCP 380s... I might have to get new friends. :lol:
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

boskone

Post by boskone » Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:20 am

Perhaps oddly, I don't know anyone who carries the same pistols. Not even Glocks. We almost all carry either .380 or 9mm, but there's zero common models for pistols.

We do all have ARs, though, so there's that.

Of course, I couldn't buy a Glock right now if I wanted one anyway. :p

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:09 am

OTOH, if your weapons all use uncommon ammo you're less affected by shortages (ex: a lot of places still have .40 on the shelves and many still have 9mm Makarov) and your stockpiles have less interest to those who might want to take it from you. They might want any 12 or 20 gauge shells you have but will probably pass up your 16 gauge stash.

Current Weather in My AO

boskone

Post by boskone » Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:46 am

NT2C wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:09 am
OTOH, if your weapons all use uncommon ammo you're less affected by shortages (ex: a lot of places still have .40 on the shelves and many still have 9mm Makarov) and your stockpiles have less interest to those who might want to take it from you. They might want any 12 or 20 gauge shells you have but will probably pass up your 16 gauge stash.
So...the best option is "both"? :D

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:04 am

boskone wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:46 am
NT2C wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:09 am
"Hey, sorry man. I don't have any .380 ACP, just this 9mm Kurz stuff." :wink:

Current Weather in My AO

PistolPete

Post by PistolPete » Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:18 am

boskone wrote:
100%. Your goto guns are those that are affordable to run during good times, so you can afford to keep ammo on hand and practice a lot. But you also keep something cheap and weird on hand for lean times like this. You can still buy 45 GAP and 300 Weatherby online today. I'm also seeing 25 ACP and 25-06 in my local big box stores. Can I afford to run those a lot year by year? Certainly not. But having a gun where you know you can get ammo when the muggles have stripped the shelves could be a life saver.

This is also a time for revolvers, as many will take more than one cartridge. A 460 S&W can also shoot 454 Cassul, 45 Colt and 45 Cowboy Special. A 327 can also shoot 32 H&R Magnum, 32 S&W Long, 32 Short and even 32 ACP in a pinch. Having that flexibility during lean times could be handy. If I'm looking for 357 or 38 special I've doubled my chances of finding something.

Oddly, 7.62x39 is still pretty available, so maybe we finally answered that AR vs AK question. :D
Steemit, where I write stuff now

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

woodsghost
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by woodsghost » Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:40 pm

PistolPete wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:18 am

Oddly, 7.62x39 is still pretty available, so maybe we finally answered that AR vs AK question. :D
100%!

5.45x39 too, last I checked.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

boskone

Post by boskone » Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:14 pm

PistolPete wrote:
boskone wrote:
100%. Your goto guns are those that are affordable to run during good times, so you can afford to keep ammo on hand and practice a lot. But you also keep something cheap and weird on hand for lean times like this. You can still buy 45 GAP and 300 Weatherby online today. I'm also seeing 25 ACP and 25-06 in my local big box stores. Can I afford to run those a lot year by year? Certainly not. But having a gun where you know you can get ammo when the muggles have stripped the shelves could be a life saver.

This is also a time for revolvers, as many will take more than one cartridge. A 460 S&W can also shoot 454 Cassul, 45 Colt and 45 Cowboy Special. A 327 can also shoot 32 H&R Magnum, 32 S&W Long, 32 Short and even 32 ACP in a pinch. Having that flexibility during lean times could be handy. If I'm looking for 357 or 38 special I've doubled my chances of finding something.
Take it with a grain of salt, but people shoot .40S&W from 10mm apparently.

I do generally agree re:revolvers, though, and would one day like to set up a matched revolver/lever pair. I know .44mag (+.44spl) and .357 (+.38 spl) levers typically span the calibers; AFAIK only one or two boutique (e.g. spendy) MFGs make a .460 lever, so that's probably out of my price range.
I'm guessing your answer is "AR", since you can run 7.62x39 and 5.45x39 through them? :D

woodsghost
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by woodsghost » Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:48 pm

boskone wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:14 pm
I do generally agree re:revolvers, though, and would one day like to set up a matched revolver/lever pair. I know .44mag (+.44spl) and .357 (+.38 spl) levers typically span the calibers; AFAIK only one or two boutique (e.g. spendy) MFGs make a .460 lever, so that's probably out of my price range.
Not all the .357 lever guns run .38 well. I think in the future I'll need to load up on 158 gr round nosed bullets to work reliably in my .357 rifle, rather than 158 gr swc.

Having a matched pair is nice.

I don't know about .44s.

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:36 pm

PistolPete wrote:
boskone wrote:
I still challenge anyone to actually do the math....the cost of the gun in the weird caliber put toward bulk common calibers during the 3.5 years out of 4 that the shelves are not bare would in most all cases see you through the shortage. If you can handle a more complex calculation you can add in the price difference between the common caliber in good times and the weird caliber in bad times, add in a ballpark number on rounds shot per month, and find your break even point. I think this shortage has lasted longer than most any shortage in the past (anyone feel free to chime in, I couldn't say how long the last few shortages lasted), but I'm not sure if we have really passed the 6 month mark. I think I snuck in a few normal priced cases of ammo as late as june or july.

If you are a gun enthusiast or collector than you will likely have a few oddballs around anyway, and math is the furthest from your mind, but if you are merely buying guns as a prep than I am fairly convinced oddball calibers are a bad investment. I may be missing a key factor somewhere, but I just can't see how the comfort of knowing there are a few boxes of ammo I can use at my local store compares with the comfort of knowing I have a few thousands rounds in my safe, and that a good half dozen of my friends have a few thousand of the same exact caliber in theirs as well.
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

RoneKiln

Post by RoneKiln » Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:32 pm

boskone wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:20 am
Perhaps oddly, I don't know anyone who carries the same pistols. Not even Glocks. We almost all carry either .380 or 9mm, but there's zero common models for pistols.

We do all have ARs, though, so there's that.

Of course, I couldn't buy a Glock right now if I wanted one anyway. :p
In my group most of us have different EDC pistols. But near everyone has a glock they're proficient with. It's common for my friends to comment that if things got bad, they would carry the glock again.

I carried an XDS the last few years cause I liked how light and comfortable it is to carry. A couple buddies have been carrying 1911s cause they're thinner. Lately I've been carrying the glock again cause the risk of multiple attackers has increased. Some buddies have made comments they're thinking of switching back to their glocks as well.

If we had need to go out into a chaotic environment with a PAW feel to it, we would definitely discuss who was carrying what and coordinate our gear.

Unfortunately, my family also doesn't share a single type of pistol. There's 2 major metropolises between us though. If whatever had us worried about ammo stockpiles had been an abrupt unforeseen occurrence, we wouldn't be likely to be able to coordinate anyway.
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

raptor2
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor2 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:22 pm

RonnyRonin wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:36 pm

I still challenge anyone to actually do the math....the cost of the gun in the weird caliber put toward bulk common calibers during the 3.5 years out of 4 that the shelves are not bare would in most all cases see you through the shortage. If you can handle a more complex calculation you can add in the price difference between the common caliber in good times and the weird caliber in bad times, add in a ballpark number on rounds shot per month, and find your break even point. I think this shortage has lasted longer than most any shortage in the past (anyone feel free to chime in, I couldn't say how long the last few shortages lasted), but I'm not sure if we have really passed the 6 month mark. I think I snuck in a few normal priced cases of ammo as late as june or july.

If you are a gun enthusiast or collector than you will likely have a few oddballs around anyway, and math is the furthest from your mind, but if you are merely buying guns as a prep than I am fairly convinced oddball calibers are a bad investment. I may be missing a key factor somewhere, but I just can't see how the comfort of knowing there are a few boxes of ammo I can use at my local store compares with the comfort of knowing I have a few thousands rounds in my safe, and that a good half dozen of my friends have a few thousand of the same exact caliber in theirs as well.
There is wisdom here ----^^^.
Note this response is focused on prep not collecting or range toys.

Over the years I frequently looked at the .40 S&W Glocks going cheap with the logic being I could get 2 calibers by getting a replacement barrel. But then I did the math (pre-shortage pricing), $250 for the firearm and $125 for the replacement barrel. So $375 +/-. I would then have an older used firearm with a swapped out barrel with potentially questionable functionality. It should work, but...(wildcard risk goes here).

If I spent $375 on 9mm ammo bulk I could buy ~ 1,800 rounds with the same money.
I already have spares for my Glocks (springs, pins, extractor, etc) so the extra firearm was not needed for redundancy. Besides as noted it was used and there may be some wild card reliability issue with it.
Then there is the issue of the different caliber. What is the point of having 2 calibers if you do not stock both so the $375 requires another $300 to $400 in an ammo as well as additional storage space, etc.

Each time I got the urge to pull the trigger on that I would simply buy an additional $100 of ammo. I got a better prep for less $.

Standardizing on a single long arm, pistol and shotgun platform/round and systemically stocking deep when it is cheap (like in 2018) makes incredible sense at least for a prep. Remember every $ you spend needlessly on a prep means some other prep cannot be addressed. Guns are fun and for many of us a hobby. That said gun collecting while fun is not a prep.

There is also another way to provide some caliber flexibility by using caliber converters. these allow a variety of calibers to be used in firearms with different calibers. Many are available in 12 & 20 gauge. For instance I use a .308 in my .30-06 though the use of such a chamber adapter. I got a bunch of 7.62x51mm ammo cheap a while back and I am still working my way through it.
https://www.gunpartscorp.com/category/s ... onversions

BTW in my area ammo in local stores is basically gone other than a bit premium center fire ammo ($60 + for 20) for hunting and 7 1/2 or smaller 12 & 20 gauge ammo.
Duco Ergo Sum

raptor2 is the new profile name for raptor.
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=8190

lailr
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, I am Legend, Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)

Post by lailr » Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:03 pm

moab wrote:
Sat May 30, 2015 11:03 am
But I also have a .357 SIG Glock. That I got as a gift. Seriously considering another handgun/round for bugging out/inch etc. Perhaps a Glock in 9mm is a better choice for sure.
If I'm not mistaken, you can get a .40 barrel, and the Glock will run .40, even in the .357 Sig as well.

I have a Glock 32 in .357 Sig, and that's what I've always been told

Return to “Initial Firearms Prepping Q&A”