Recommendations for Battery/Prioritization

The place to discuss adding firearms to your emergency preparedness plans.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

00dlez
ZS Member
ZS Member

Recommendations for Battery/Prioritization

Post by 00dlez » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:48 pm

I have had very little trigger time in my life. A few instances with the Scouts, some .22 plinking with my cousin and a recent pistol outing with a recent police academy grad is about it. For all intents and purposes, I know nothing at all about firearms, but as a (hopefully) new home owner and (hopefully/probably) first time family man in the coming years, it’s not going to be just about me anymore and protecting everyone under the roof will be priority #1… Hence the new interest in a firearm(s).

I don’t really have much inclination as to what I should buy, but after doing some reading, it seems that I have a lot of ideas not a lot of answers. I anticipate that over the next several years, I’ll probably purchase multiple firearms, as just with everything else, different jobs need different tools. That said, I am not a wealthy man and will be looking to accomplish my goals with my eye on the bottom line. It seems that without a good set of priorities and base of knowledge, I could end up wasting a lot of time and money on firearms – hopefully with everyone’s help; I can avoid most of that.

I hope to use info shared here to generate a working list of priorities/costs so I can budget as best I can. I think that having something in the short term is better than nothing, but if you can convince me that some hyper expensive AR/AK build is worth saving up for as my second purchase, then that’s what I’ll do.

THINGS YOU MIGHT FIND HELPFUL TO KNOW WHEN MAKING SUGGESTIONS
I’m 6’, 220#, right handed
I’ve busted my shoulders up quite a bit (thanks rugby!) so recoil on long arms may or may not be an issue…? I have no idea and haven’t fired anything from my shoulder for nearly 10 years.
My girlfriend has about as much experience as I do. She is 5’9” 140 and is also a rightie
I live in Missouri
House will be fairly small and in a dense urban/city environment (probably brick construction)
I have access to about 10 acres of farmland
If I had to guesstimate a budget – let’s say $3,000 over the next 3 years for everything (firearms, accessories, CCW/training courses, ammo, etc)

GOALS
HD is #1.

Have at least 1 firearm I can CCW. I haven’t decided yet if that is the way I want to go yet, but if I do end up going that route in the near or long-term, I’d like to not have to buy a firearm for that sole purpose.

Something I can small game hunt or plink with would be a plus – having a more recreational use will probably get me to the range/practice more often. I’m not a hunter atm, but it’s something I’ve long been interested in.

Have weapons that both my girlfriend and I can comfortably fire. If our sizes make long-arms difficult to make viable, it’s not the end of the world – she probably won’t go for the long arms much anyway.

I’m interested in deer/hog hunting, but realistically I don’t see it happening in the next few years… At least not in a situation where I’ll feel the need to buy my own gun, train, buy ammo, etc etc. If I do end up having the opportunity, it’s likely to be with someone who can give me some loaners. That said – if there is a weapon that is a deer/hog gun that is also viable against a bear, that might get more attention. I lived in Alaska for a time and have often thought I might go back, not to mention backpacking in bear country. It’s very low priority, but let me know what you think anyway, maybe I’ll spoil myself.

WHAT I HAVE SHOT WITH SPECIFICALLY AND RESULTS
The pistol outing I had recently is the only one worth noting at this time. I’m not “hip to the lingo” really, so feel free to correct me, but you should at least be able to understand my experience.

Started on a .45 1911. Did okay. Recoil wasn’t uncomfortable, but I could tell that my shots were going high and left – I could compensate if I concentrated, but my rate of fire was quite slow.

Went to a 9mm Glock (can’t recall specific model, but it was the police academy grad’s pistol, so if there is a police standard, that might be it). Grouping was better than the .45 (which is probably expected) but the gun itself felt too light.

When I told my buddy that it felt light, we borrowed a few 1911 clones (or at least that size) in 9mm from the range and had the best results. IIRC, I had a Beretta, a Taurus, and one other that I can’t recall (might be written on the targets, will check and update.)

My girlfriend also fired all the pistols as well, I think she had the best results with the Beretta and I did the best with the Taurus.

WHAT MY VERY TENTATIVE PLAN IS (in pretty much this order atm)
2 Pistols – 1 CCW and another (could be CCW purposed or not)… very likely both the same caliber for ammo reasons. (???? / ????)

HD Longarm – Whether this is a AR/AK or a 12 gauge or something else entirely is up to you guys… I’m a blank slate not married to any particular platform or caliber. If it works it works. (Remmington 11-87?)

Plink/Small Game – As I mentioned before, this is lower priority and probably more recreational, but if I enjoy using it out in the field, it will probably encourage me to train more with others in the field. (.22/.410 over under? AR-7?)

Big game – Not even sure this will be purchased, but so long as I’m prioritizing a dream battery, I might as well include it.

Thanks so much in advance, and feel free to just link me to any relevant discussions that pertain to my goals.
Batman has a pretty good EDC. - Purple_Mutant

Whiskey
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil Series
Land of the Dead
28 Days/Weeks Later
Zombieland

Re: Recommendations for Battery/Prioritization

Post by Whiskey » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:28 pm

Get some handgun training. You can use a pistol for HD, and CCW. This gets said a lot here on ZS... but Glock 19. Small enough to hide, big enough to fight. Throw a light on the front, it will help with the weight. They also make plugs for the gap in the pistol grip that will increase weight, I believe, but you should probably just try to get used to the weight.

That takes care of two priorities there... Defense in and out of the home. Many people will tell you to get a shotgun for the home, because that's been the standard since forever. I don't own a shotgun anymore, and between my handguns and AR, I see no reason.

Rifle, get yourself a quality AR15. Smith and Wesson makes good rifles on a budget, as do many other brands. Just do your research on it. You can also get a .22 bolt adapter. That will let you plink out of your standard rifle, with just the switch of the bolt and magazines (if you can find .22). Its an easy firearm for any shooter, with the adjustable length of pull in the stock, and relative light weight.

This is just some stuff that came quickly to my mind, and its just my opinion, but this will get you going quickly, and without a TON of money up front. Save what you may spend on a shotgun and long range gun and spend it on ammo/mags/support gear now. Then you can get more specialized weapons in the future for fun or if you find a purpose.
ZSC:034 Kansas City
Fightin' 34th "Guardians of the Frontier!"

00dlez
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 00dlez » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:07 am

Thanks for the input.

I just read through a Handgun for CCW/HD thread (http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... t=glock+19" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) and as you indicated, the glock 19 came up a lot.

A quick google image search on it showed me it was larger than I had invisioned for a CCW. I work in a white collar job, so clothes are typically tighter than usual fitting and with a tucked in shirt - I guess what I had in my head was a subcompact... But having read through the thread and based on my limited experience, it seems like going smaller and lighter will make it much harder to get 5-6 shots on target in a decent amount of time.

Good suggestion on the light to help with the weight, but will this impact my ability to holster/conceal effectively? Maybe it's something I take off when CCW, and put back on when it's on the nightstand? Is that a bad idea? (training one way, then usiing it in another configuration)

There were a lot of other models mentioned in the above thread - is there a short list to try and compare to the glock 19 that you/others would recommend?

wulf202

Post by wulf202 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:13 am

Get a Glock 19 and a Glock 26

Pocket carry of a g26 in business dress is easy. Mags interchange. One for each of you if zombies.

A sw mp ar15 and a Sw mp22. 22 to train with and ar to fight. All practice on the 22 will transfer to the ar. Or just the ar and a dedicated 22 upper. 2 push pins to change it out.

Then get some good training so you don't develop bad rabbits that you have to fight later on.

Whiskey
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil Series
Land of the Dead
28 Days/Weeks Later
Zombieland

Post by Whiskey » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:14 pm

I hate when you develop bad rabbits. Then you gotta start over with two good rabbits and hope the gene pool works for you./bluetext

To be fair, OP, I'm 6'5" and 275, and conceal my Glock 17 in jeans and a T shirt.

If you want to conceal in business gear, you may need to adjust your wardrobe, and get a good holster and gun belt. I'll let others chime in on that. I've never had that problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.
ZSC:034 Kansas City
Fightin' 34th "Guardians of the Frontier!"

00dlez
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 00dlez » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:27 pm

How do you think the glock 19 would carry in a under arm holster like so? The glock 26?

Granted, it would be under my shirt, but I think reaching through a button up, and breaking a few buttons in the process, wouldn't be too hard if the situation really dictated that I needed to draw. I also might be getting ahead of myself.

I knew that my folks had a few guns at home, but was never sure of their specifics... Turns out that they have:

Ruger 10/22
Ruger .357 Security Six
and I always thought that they had a Garand, but it turns out it is a Springfield M1903 (100XXX serial number... source I saw said made in 1905?!)

I don't know if my Dad cares too much about the 10/22, but I'm pretty confident that he'll want to hang onto the revolver and the M1903 - both were my late Grandpas. My other Grandpa recently passed away, and I know he had least 1 rifle (no clue what) as well... Probably several firearms... (both were rural Missouri boys their whole lives.)

Dunno if any if will fall my way but who knows. Regardless, I don't think that anything they would have could fill the HD Longarm role...

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:07 pm

I spent the day carrying a G32C into gunstores, a country club, and never got a look at what I would consider a fairly obvious bulge. I maintain there are two types of concealment: concealed because the law says so, in which case it's mopre about not making it terribly obvious, and concealing because you cannot have a gun (company policy, for instance) where it really does need to be hidden. The first is easily accomplished with almost any decent tuckable holster, the second is better done with a mousegun.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

00dlez
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 00dlez » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:25 pm

Well, if I were to get a CCW, it would be because I got cleared to carry it at my place of work (illegal for the general public) and that would probably be the only place I would feel that I needed to regularly carry it.

I wouldn't have to make it invisible - several people walk by my desk with guns everyday - but I would be most comfortable with it being very hard to notice for the layperson. Less is better, if I can do so without sacrificing significant performance.

Gregory Merlon

Post by Gregory Merlon » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:28 pm

The Glock is a favorite around here, but if it feels too light for you, and that's a problem, I'd recommend even just handling a few other handguns to see what does feel right for you, and perhaps even renting one out at a firing range if you're seriously considering purchasing it. From what I gather, you seem to have had the best results with metal 9mm pistols, of which there are plenty of options.

I'd recommend considering the CZ-75 series as an alternative to the Glock. You can get the metal version if the heft feels right for a home defense/plinking gun, and they do make polymer concealed carry versions. Like the Glock combos, they would share the same ammunition, and potentially even the same magazines. I personally use a Argentina-built Hi-Power (which is more of a budget 9mm of the classic Browning design), which could also be an option if you can find one. The advantage of the Argentine Hi-Power over an actual 9mm 1911 is better access to standardized parts, and oftentimes, higher capacity and more reliable magazines. In terms of pricing, the CZ series tends to be fairly equivalent to that of the glocks (~$500 new), but several of the more deluxe CZ series are more. The Argentine Hi Power tends to be around $300-400 (used only).

As far as home defense, you could definitely get an Ar-15 or an AK with that budget, but it'd be about a 1/3 of your overall budget, so if you're deadset with getting a pair of pistols as well, we're likely talking about 2/3 of your budget going straight to guns (not including optics or magazines on top of that). A potentially cheaper alternative would be a pump shotgun, like a Mossberg 500 or Remington 870. Are shotguns as cool or as optimal for home defense as an AR-15, maybe not. But they can get the job done, and they're arguably better if you're interested in getting into hunting, not only because of a wide variety of ammunition for different games(waterfowl, small mammals, deer, etc), but also because a lot of areas restrict rifle usage for hunting deer or other large game. Pump Shotguns are also considerably cheaper than any of those weapons (about a 1/3 price new). There are also a few decent, more budget-minded semi-shotguns, such as those by Weatherby or Savage, that may be worth looking into, which are only moderately more expensive than most pump shotguns.

For plinking and light game, I'd first recommend a perennial favorite, the Ruger 10/22 because of its low cost and customization possibilities. But really, most .22 rifles (semi-automatic, bolt, or even pump) would be solid choices, and still remain pretty cheap to buy and own. Ruger 10/22s and other semi-automatic .22s go for about $250 new, and many bolt actions can be found for around $150, oftentimes combined with a scope from the get-go. There are also .22 pistols too that can fulfill the same role. On the low side, there is the Heritage Revolver and Phoenix Arms HP-22 (both slightly above $100). Both are a little rough, but they get the job done. Moving up a little bit, I'd recommend a Ruger Mk III or a Browning Buckmark (both of which have many different models, but they start around $300 new). Alternatively, there may be a .22 conversion kit for your CCW or full-size service pistol (depending on which one you chose). These typically cost about the same as a new pistol, but the upside is that all of the controls would be the same, which could better help transfer your cheap plinking time into better self-defense practice.

Keep in mind that buying the guns is actually the cheap part of all of this. Ammunition, magazines, and accessories are all going to be costs that continue throughout all these years (unlike the one-time cost of buying a gun). And if you somehow lose access to a free shooting area, range time also. I'm fairly budget-minded about this hobby, because I have a lot of other things I'd like to focus my money on that affect my daily life more than the specific kinds of guns I have bought (like having a good car, paying off college debt, other preps, etc). This isn't to trash anyone who spends a lot of money on guns (if I could, I would), but a lot of times, there are other priorities that need to take place.
"Don't listen to the folks who say these things aren't practical. You just have to know what they are capable of and what their limits are. They're really good for a leaving a blood trail so the cops can find the guy that stabbed you to death with a broken bottle." ~ Yossarian

00dlez
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 00dlez » Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:36 pm

Good call on the CZ-75. I looked at the specs compared to the glock 19 and it looks pretty similar except for the weight, which might be what I go for. I will try to shoot a few boxes out of both and see how I do... If all else is good I think that these might work for me.

Any other suggestions for pistols to try? The range I used in the past has dozens of pistols to rent, and you can shoot as many 9mm you want for a flat $10 so the more the merrier!

Gregory Merlon

Post by Gregory Merlon » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:36 pm

As far as pistols are concerned, a couple other options to consider are the Tangfolio series (which is also based on the CZ 75 series), but it is slightly cheaper and more modular in terms of caliber conversions. Also notable and more widely available would be any of the Sig Sauer series, which are really excellent pistols, some of which are pretty pricey, but you can find them used at prices similar to a new glock. Sig Sauer also has two polymer pistols which might be worth taking a look at the. The SP 2022, which is a very good pistol at a budget price, but I'd also especially look at the P250 in your case. The base pistol is slightly more expensive than a Glock, but it's also modular, so for about half the price of another pistol, it can be converted from a full size service pistol to a subcompact pistol.

There are many other options, but they tend to come with a lot tradeoffs. For example, the Smith and Wesson 5900 series pistols would also be fairly good from what you've stated so far, and can be had at very reasonable prices, but they're no longer in production, and it will be difficult to get replacement parts or accessories unlike pistols which remain in production...
"Don't listen to the folks who say these things aren't practical. You just have to know what they are capable of and what their limits are. They're really good for a leaving a blood trail so the cops can find the guy that stabbed you to death with a broken bottle." ~ Yossarian

00dlez
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 00dlez » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:23 am

Based on the specs I've looked up on these models, it looks like a great list to start from! Thanks to all!

I actually bought 2 groupons last night (~$100 total) and both are good for an hour of range time, gun rental, ammo, targets and instruction for two at 2 different local ranges (I've been to one before and had a good experience). Might have to kick them a few extra bucks to try multiple models but that shouldn't be a big deal. The ranges are about 25 min drive from one another too, so depending on my schedule, my girlfriend and I might try to hit them both back to back on an upcoming weekend.

Will keep everyone posted, and any more advice you might have in the meantime is always appreciated!

To Try:
Glock 19
Glock 26
CZ 75
SP 2022
P 250
SW 5900?

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:00 pm

I'd say all the recommendations here have been pretty solid. I'd throw a vote in for the AR15/.22 conversion combo with 2 sizes of glocks/CZs.

minimizing the number of magazines/types of ammo you have to buy in the long run is really nice. Buy a big handgun and a little handgun that use the same magazines and buy the bigger mags (I have a G17 and a G19 for the wife, I only really buy G17 mags)

a few years ago you could buy an AK and a quality combat optic for the price of an AR and that would be my recommendation, but with current prices the AR just makes more sense.

I'm 6'2" and 165# and appendix carry a G17. I wear fairly slim clothing and can easily hide a full-size. You can see it if you know it's there, but even my gun-savvy friends usually miss it. My wife usually does a quick hug/frisk-down before we go into public because she can't really tell either.

The next hurdle after guying a handgun though is buying a holster. There are only a few truly BAD guns on the market, but there are hundreds of BAD holsters out there. My recommendation is a quality Kydex holster, expect to pay $50 or more. There are good leather and leather/kydex holsters out there too, I hear a lot of good things about the Crossbreed Supertuck for those that have to wear tucked-in shirts
http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/SuperTuckDeluxe.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I personally carry a home-made kydex trigger guard holster similar to a MIC holster
http://www.glocktech.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I like it because it allows me to load and unload the firearm while the tripper is covered, and there is never a moment in the draw stroke or re-holstering motion were the gun is pointed at myself with the trigger unprotected. This eliminates the biggest risk of appendix carry, having the trigger pulled while re-holstering (either from a corner of a holster, a bit of shirt, or a poorly placed finger). Usually when you hear of a police officer shooting himself, it is from re-holstering.
Also this holster allows me to tuck in my shirt between the gun and my pants, due to the long string. When I go to formal occasions (weddings, funerals, parties) and a fancy vest isn't enough to cover the gun (a good work-around for business attire, and looks good to boot) I can tuck my shirt over it.
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

Gregory Merlon

Post by Gregory Merlon » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:04 pm

I should have clarified the S&W 5900 series a bit more. Wikipedia lists most of the 5900 series in that article. They're not new or common enough that a range will likely have them, but something else to consider. Tell us how the range time goes.

cheech_sp

Post by cheech_sp » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:22 pm

I would start with a pistol:
$600 pistol (Glock 19, XD, M&P, SR9C, CZ)

Then get some training and practice on it.

Then get the rest as it becomes feasible:
$200 .22 rifle (Ruger, Marlin)
$300 shotgun (500, 870)
$1000 rifle (AR, AK)
$350 .22 pistol (Ruger, Buckmark)

rjm

Post by rjm » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:36 pm

00dlez wrote:How do you think the glock 19 would carry in a under arm holster like so? The glock 26?

Granted, it would be under my shirt, but I think reaching through a button up, and breaking a few buttons in the process, wouldn't be too hard if the situation really dictated that I needed to draw. I also might be getting ahead of myself.

I knew that my folks had a few guns at home, but was never sure of their specifics... Turns out that they have:

Ruger 10/22
Ruger .357 Security Six
and I always thought that they had a Garand, but it turns out it is a Springfield M1903 (100XXX serial number... source I saw said made in 1905?!)

I don't know if my Dad cares too much about the 10/22, but I'm pretty confident that he'll want to hang onto the revolver and the M1903 - both were my late Grandpas. My other Grandpa recently passed away, and I know he had least 1 rifle (no clue what) as well... Probably several firearms... (both were rural Missouri boys their whole lives.).
Dunno if any if will fall my way but who knows. Regardless, I don't think that anything they would have could fill the HD Longarm role...
How would it carry? About the same. The difference in size as far as width in glock pistols is fairly negligible, so if the barrel length doesn't increase, it shouldn't matter under the arm.Personally, I wouldn't wear under the arm, I would go with a belt ride model where all I had to do was untuck my shirt rather that rip my shirt open aka superman style, but that's just me. (Try getting through a few buttons in a real hurry as apposed to lifting a shirt tail and see which one you would rather do if your life depended on it.)
"Well, it's rather brutal here. Right now we are advising all our clients to put everything they've got into canned food and shotguns."

00dlez
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 00dlez » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:00 pm

We are a ways down the road, but will keep it in mind. I'm just concerned that any belt/waist carry will be too obvious.

I went to the range the other day and shot a .22 pistol, which I think will be my first purchase. It will be cheap to learn/practice on, is a faily inexpensive buy while I explore more guns for the right fit, and is something rather than nothing for the house.

Doryman

Post by Doryman » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:15 pm

I'd throw some more weight behind the Hi-Power/CZ pistol suggestion. If you like the feel of a heavier pistol, but want a 9mm, those two are pretty good options. Both are reliable, durable, and have been used as service pistols for decades. Glocks are great, but you should probably go with something you like to shoot more.

Since your primary purpose right now is carry and home defense, I'd stick with the pistol(s) for now. Once you get into shooting more, you'll eventually learn which firearms you want to add to your collection and what shooting styles you want to pursue.

A .22lr pistol is a fine choice to start with. What model were you thinking of?
That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."

-George Orwell

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:16 am

00dlez wrote:We are a ways down the road, but will keep it in mind. I'm just concerned that any belt/waist carry will be too obvious.

I went to the range the other day and shot a .22 pistol, which I think will be my first purchase. It will be cheap to learn/practice on, is a faily inexpensive buy while I explore more guns for the right fit, and is something rather than nothing for the house.
Did you get to shoot some centerfires? Try to snag a gunfire that's analogous to the centerfire you like. Less training gap when it's big boy time.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

colinz

Post by colinz » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:21 pm

00dlez wrote: I’ve busted my shoulders up quite a bit (thanks rugby!) so recoil on long arms may or may not be an issue…? I have no idea and haven’t fired anything from my shoulder for nearly 10 years.
Actual Rugby, not Gridiron?!?! :shock: I didn't think it was played in the USA.

Anyway, they guys I know who used to/still play Rugby don't have many issues with smaller calibre rifles hurting their shoulders. If you know anyone with a bunch of rifles, you could always ask if they'd be willing to let you have a shot with them. Start with the lightest calibre they have and work your way up until it's seriously uncomfortable. :)

nathat

Post by nathat » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:58 am

I work white-collar as well.
I'm 6'3 240lbs, and I conceal a glock 23 (same size as glock 19 just different caliber) every day with a tucked in shirt. The days I wear a jacket or suit is even better. The key is to buy a quality belt, quality holster, and learn your body type.

I use this holster http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info.php?products_id=95" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; with the "C-clips" attached. Very hard to see on me even when bending the wrong way. The "V-clips" they offer may even be better with a belt that has velcro on the inside. They also offer some decent belts here if you want it all at once.

Welcome to the world of guns, and playing musical holster/gun to find out what works for you. If you are really afraid of printing I would suggest a kahr pm9 for the office.

00dlez
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 00dlez » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:35 pm

Doryman wrote:I'd throw some more weight behind the Hi-Power/CZ pistol suggestion. If you like the feel of a heavier pistol, but want a 9mm, those two are pretty good options. Both are reliable, durable, and have been used as service pistols for decades. Glocks are great, but you should probably go with something you like to shoot more.

Since your primary purpose right now is carry and home defense, I'd stick with the pistol(s) for now. Once you get into shooting more, you'll eventually learn which firearms you want to add to your collection and what shooting styles you want to pursue.

A .22lr pistol is a fine choice to start with. What model were you thinking of?
We shot a Browning Buck Mark at our last outing and liked it well enough. Hoping to go again soon and will probably shoot it again for repetitions sake.

00dlez
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 00dlez » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:24 am

I went to the range yesterday, but only shot 9mms. (details on that here on PAGE 2: http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... 7#p2507267 )

Even picking a .22 for practice seemed a bit daunting, but after consulting a few shop owners, I think figuring out what 9mm I plan to buy first then find a .22 which has at least similar weight/ergonomics and get that as well for practice. Conversion kits came up again, but I'm not super keen on throwing down that kind of money so early on when I still might change my preferences later. I'd rather just have a stand alone .22 for the same/similar price.

That said, the conclusion I'm at now is, given the ability to resell/trade relatively new firearms, can I really go wrong with picking up a glock 19 (or any other "standard" 9mm) and just focusing on it until I either learn to love it or decide I hate it and go another route or should I keep renting guns and going through 50-100 rounds in them until I find one that feels right from the start?

00dlez
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 00dlez » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:54 am

Situations change and one must adapt. I'll spare everyone the details, but rather than the .22 starter gun I had planned on buying to learn/practice with before getting a "real" gun, I bought a Glock 17 over the weekend.

I went with the 17 over the 19 for a few reasons. 1) While I'm sure many folks CC the G19, it just seemed too big for anything that I would want to CC myself. 2) The girlfriend expressed a desire for a larger sized pistol than 3) The higher capacity magazine seemed like a better HD choice.

Ultimately, unless she hates the gun or I love it, it will become her gun and I'll get something that can fill the CC role. Still planning on getting a .22 pistol though to train with - any suggestions if the intent for the .22 was to have a similar weight/ergonomics to the G17?

Return to “Initial Firearms Prepping Q&A”