Press therapy - reloading room *chat*

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

Brotherbadger
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Curse of the Cannibal Confederates(so terrible it's great)

Re: Press therapy - reloading room *chat*

Post by Brotherbadger » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:54 am

Well, finally got around to developing a load for my P220. Red Dot(it's all i could find) @ 4.5 gr, 230 LRN .452 bullet. Shoots sweet, but smokey as all get out(not sure if it's the lube from the bullets, or the Red Dot). realized that even on a single stage, i roll through 500 rounds at a reasonable speed. Well, now I'm out of bullets and waiting on my next order from MBC to come. So i realized "man, if i cast my own bullets, i wouldn't NEED to wait." So, i now have another money sink to throw my money/time into this winter. Already have 100lbs of wheel weights sitting around, and found a nice little propane fryer stand from TSC on clearance for $40. Now i'm reading up on powder coating, which seems awesome as well. Sigh. I'm never gonna be done buying for this hobby.
Doc Torr wrote:You forgot to add that birdshot only hurts badguys, so you can bounce it off the floor, walls, or even yourself for nonlethal takedowns. Load some beanbags and dragon's Breath too, because you shouldn't stop shooting until they're on fire.

Black Sheep
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days, Tetsuo, Redneck Zombies, Braindead, Dawn remake, Return of the Living Dead, Evil Dead, Matango, The Quick and the Undead, The Last Man on Earth, Wild Zero!

Post by Black Sheep » Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:04 am

I've been reloading for a couple of months, have successfully loaded 308, and 44 magnum with copper plated lead bullets. I picked up some cast lead bullets to try, as I plan to start casting bullets soon. This happened;

The bullets were advertised as .430". It seems like the top of the lube-groove is catching the top of the case. The cases were well flared. Can anyone school a noob?

Thanks!
Fear? I know not fear. There are only moments of confusion. Some of them are deeply stamped on my memory and a few will haunt me forever. Hunter S. Thompson

Eschew the monumental. Shun the Epic. All the guys who can paint great big pictures can paint great small ones. Ernest Hemingway

brothaman

Post by brothaman » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:15 am

Blk Shp, I had the same issue. To Seat and Crimp in the same step, I had to open the case mouth as much as I could and be a "smidge" more generous on initial COAL and lighten the crimp. The COAL tightened up one I set to Seat and Crimp. I thought it was just my press that caused it. I was trying to use a really tight crimp and the crimp was pulling the bullet and the case mouth down causing the crush.

I've moved to Seating and Crimping separately now. Seating separately lets me minimally open the case mouth to seat and crimping separately lets me crimp as tight as I need to.

Hope that helps
It stops being funny when it starts being you.

Black Sheep
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days, Tetsuo, Redneck Zombies, Braindead, Dawn remake, Return of the Living Dead, Evil Dead, Matango, The Quick and the Undead, The Last Man on Earth, Wild Zero!

Post by Black Sheep » Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:50 pm

Thanks Brotha.

I was seating without crimping. I crimp afterwards, and very minimally as I'm loading these for a single shot rifle. I'll try again and see if I can get any more flare on the case, otherwise I'll be picking up a re-sizing die sooner than I planned.
Fear? I know not fear. There are only moments of confusion. Some of them are deeply stamped on my memory and a few will haunt me forever. Hunter S. Thompson

Eschew the monumental. Shun the Epic. All the guys who can paint great big pictures can paint great small ones. Ernest Hemingway

procyon

Post by procyon » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:21 am

Black Sheep wrote: I picked up some cast lead bullets to try, as I plan to start casting bullets soon. This happened;
One other thing you may try (if you haven't already) is to adjust your expander. The pin (expander ball) that goes down the center of your expander die should be adjustable. Turn it downward a tiny bit and run a shell through it. The expanders are almost always tapered and dropping them lower will create a larger bell on the case mouth. Be careful as you can overdo it an end up crushing cases when you run them through the expander die also (which is no fun if they get stuck also...).

So try dropping the expander 'pin' a tiny bit at a time, along with seating and crimping separately. And good luck.
... I will show you fear in a handful of dust...

brothaman

Post by brothaman » Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:07 pm

Black Sheep wrote:...... as I'm loading these for a single shot rifle. .......
H&R??

Black Sheep

Post by Black Sheep » Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:05 am

I wish. It's a Rossi, but it shoots OK. I put 5 subs into a 18mm group at 50m yesterday, so feeling better about the project even if the cast bullet loading is going to take a while to get right. I guess I'll pick up a sizing die sooner than I planned.

PistolPete
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by PistolPete » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:48 pm

Is anyone here loading 22 TCM? I'm intrigued, it looks like a fun round.
Angry Peasants, musings on guns and the state of our world

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

brothaman

Post by brothaman » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:08 am

Black Sheep wrote:I wish. It's a Rossi, but it shoots OK. I put 5 subs into a 18mm group at 50m yesterday, so feeling better about the project even if the cast bullet loading is going to take a while to get right. I guess I'll pick up a sizing die sooner than I planned.

Actually, you likely have the better of the two. Recent make H&R 44mags are notorious for their over sized bore. Even going with bullets as large as .432 won't fix it sometimes. I've seen those guns shoot 6 inch random assed groups from 50-100 yards. Some guys buy those to rebore to 445 SM and they get disappointed real fast. Our Local DU chapter got a bunch of these 44s for raffles. a lot of those that won rifles got H&R to swap barrels to a .357.

18mm at 50yds is a damn good group for a 44 mag rifle. Especially while working through handloads. You need to check that load a 100 yards. What powder are you loading? 296/110? what velocities are you getting?

Snapshot7.62

Post by Snapshot7.62 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:41 pm

After nearly a year in the making I finally have my reloading room up and running, just finished working up my first 9mm loads!
Suizen wrote:CZ is made of sex. Angry, ass slapping, hair pulling, filthy, dirty sex.

zombieapocalypsegame
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
28 Days Later

Post by zombieapocalypsegame » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:14 pm

@snapshot7.62
Pics or it didn't happen.
Zombie Apocalypse Games
The Zombies, They're Coming!
Once Fired Lake City Brass
Brass made for & only used by the US armed forces, well suited for reloading.

Black Sheep

Post by Black Sheep » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:14 am

brothaman wrote:What powder are you loading? 296/110? what velocities are you getting?
The tight group was 7 grains of Trailboss averaging 987 fps.

I solved my case crushing problem too. jiggled the bullet seating die around for a few minutes, took it apart, put it back together, then loaded another cartridge GENTLY. I don't know if anything was sticking inside the die, but I was pushing the lever past the point of first resistance. Even though I know you don't need to apply a ton of force to every step. Feelings of shame subsiding slowly...

I'm also load developing for my Rem 700 Tacticool in 308. I've done one session at the range firing a bunch of loads from maybe 42 to 47 grains of 2208 (Maybe more familiar to ZS as Varget) behind 168gr AMAX, because the factory AMAX shot a 17mm group. I shot groups of 5 at 0.5 grain intervals and didn't really learn anything, mostly because I just shot badly on a windy day.

My question for ZS;

Of all the variables I've read about, which ones make how much difference? Is it 50% powder weight, 30% bullet, 10% powder choice, 5% brass, 2% primer...

What order do you guys go through the variables in to narrow down the ultimate load? Am I making any sense?

Anyway, FWIW my goal at this stage is to develop a load and my shooting so I can hit a dinner plate / kill zone on something edible at 500m. I just pulled that out of thin air when I started shooting and I'm still working on it.

Cheers and thanks everyone,

Sheep.

procyon

Post by procyon » Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:57 am

Black Sheep wrote:Of all the variables I've read about, which ones make how much difference? Is it 50% powder weight, 30% bullet, 10% powder choice, 5% brass, 2% primer...
None of the above, for me.
The single most important thing that has improved the accuracy for my loads in a bolt rifle - has been adjusting the OAL so that the bullet just touches the lands when the bolt is closed.
At 100 or 200 yards - you may not see much difference. But when the bullet jumps the freebore in a rifle - it never hits the lands and engages them the same way from one time to the next. And that variation makes it hard to get consistent accuracy at long range nearly impossible.
If the bullet touches the lands when you finish closing the bolt - then it always fires from the same postion and that will take that issue out of the equation completely. From that point on you can mess with the load to see what works best.

Snapshot7.62

Post by Snapshot7.62 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:37 pm

zombieapocalypsegame wrote:@snapshot7.62
Pics or it didn't happen.
Suizen wrote:CZ is made of sex. Angry, ass slapping, hair pulling, filthy, dirty sex.

Black Sheep

Post by Black Sheep » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:11 am

procyon wrote: The single most important thing that has improved the accuracy for my loads in a bolt rifle - has been adjusting the OAL so that the bullet just touches the lands when the bolt is closed.
Thanks. I heard about that and figured it was a middle priority thing. I did try the trick of putting a bullet in an empty case and chambering it with the bolt closed. It came back out just as long, seeming to indicate that a cartridge loaded to touch the lands and grooves would be at least 1/8" longer than magazine length. Is that possible or did I do it wrong?

Cheers,

Sheep.

zombieapocalypsegame
28 Days Later

Post by zombieapocalypsegame » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:17 am

@snapshot7.62

I was thinking photos of the bench, but the target pics are always more fun! :)
Zombie Apocalypse Games

procyon

Post by procyon » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:41 am

Black Sheep wrote:
procyon wrote: The single most important thing that has improved the accuracy for my loads in a bolt rifle - has been adjusting the OAL so that the bullet just touches the lands when the bolt is closed.
Thanks. I heard about that and figured it was a middle priority thing. I did try the trick of putting a bullet in an empty case and chambering it with the bolt closed. It came back out just as long, seeming to indicate that a cartridge loaded to touch the lands and grooves would be at least 1/8" longer than magazine length. Is that possible or did I do it wrong?

Cheers,

Sheep.
It's possible.
Some rifles are made with a lot of freebore. Some end up that way after a extended shooting with high velocity/hot rounds that erode the rifling near the chamber.
If you have one of those rifles, you have a choice. If the OAL is to long for the mag but not so long the bullet is just barely seated in the case - you could single load it when target shooting. That won't work for mauser style bolts as they positively hold the shell as they pick it up from the mag, and if you single load rounds without putting them in the magazine to be 'picked up' by the bolt - you will end up having to slam the bolt very hard to get the extractor to cam over the rim of the shell. Which is hard on the shell rims, bolt face/extractor, and over time will screw up your rifle's bedding (ruining your accuracy) as you constantly slam the bolt closed.
Otherwise you can adjust the other factors in the load to see what will improve the accuracy and leave the bullets' OAL so that they can be loaded from the mag.
Ok, there is a third option, wherein you use the rifle's long freebore as an excuse to by another rifle... :clap:

Snapshot7.62

Post by Snapshot7.62 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:36 pm

I was thinking photos of the bench, but the target pics are always more fun! :)
Oh! :oops:
Last edited by Snapshot7.62 on Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Black Sheep

Post by Black Sheep » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:23 am

procyon wrote:Ok, there is a third option, wherein you use the rifle's long freebore as an excuse to by another rifle... :clap:
Haha, nice. That'll definitely work.

minengr

Post by minengr » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:11 am

I really didn't want to wade through 37 pages, so, is anyone using RL-17 for a 308? Results? Normally RL-15 is my go to, but it's like finding a unicorn in my location.
Bullet drop is physics, reading wind is voodoo

zombieapocalypsegame
28 Days Later

Post by zombieapocalypsegame » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:32 pm

@snapshot7.62

Now that there is a zen reloading experience. Plenty of room, no distractions, no carpet for that little static wake up you can get every now & again. :)
Zombie Apocalypse Games

Snapshot7.62

Post by Snapshot7.62 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:35 pm

Now that there is a zen reloading experience. Plenty of room, no distractions, no carpet for that little static wake up you can get every now & again. :)
Thanks, I like it. Just starting out, press came first, add-ons will come later. My reloading room is actually an old kitchen that is in the basement. Used to be the oldest daughters bedroom, but since she moved it has been repurposed! :mrgreen:

Still has the countertop, cupboards and drawers so lots of storage space and room to work on and clean guns and such but I wanted a solid mount for the bench and in the long run I thought a separate bench was best for my needs. Still have room for my computer and knife sharpening stuff too!

kcor_77
Favorite Zombie Movies: all of them

Post by kcor_77 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:17 pm

nice to see you have a whole room to make a man cave out of. My bench is in my living room for now. I'm redoing the floor of my basement so it is too damp to do anything down there.

Here is a pic of my messy bench.
Tomorrow's an illusion
Yesterday's a dream
Today is a solution

minengr

Post by minengr » Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:20 am

kcor_77 wrote:Here is a pic of my messy bench.
If that's what you call messy, I'm not posting a picture of mine.
Bullet drop is physics, reading wind is voodoo

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”