Press therapy - reloading room *chat*

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Re: Press therapy - reloading room *chat*

Post by BullOnParade » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:54 pm

PistolPete wrote:
BullOnParade wrote: Is there a good, bad or better way to dispose of used tumbler media?
Not sure whether it's good, bad or ugly, but I use mine to fill in a sinkhole where there used to be a huge tree and the root system is slowly rotting out. :-)

It's also where I throw my branches for the occasional bonfire. One day I'll fill that bastard up. I've been at it 15 years and I'm about halfway.
I figured it would be okay to just dump the medium outdoors. Slightly concerned about the lead/carbon mixed in, but it will go unnoticed if I dump it on the piece of property where I shoot most often.
BullOnParade

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Urban BOB/Range (& Bailout) Bag/EDC/Vehicle Kit

eugene

Post by eugene » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:58 pm

zobmiedown wrote:
eugene wrote:while not directly related I bought myself something that I can view/edit my load logs online
I love the lay out of that spreadsheet. I may have to start taking my tablet shooting with me and edit on the fly as well.
It took me a while to make that, I took all the fields for the one that turns up most when searching but it only had 4 loads. I then started compressing as much as possible. Couldn't fit everything all in one row so I combined similar fields into the partial two row format here. I can send it to anyone that wants it, I did it in LibreOffice then adjusted the fonts a little to make sure it works fine in ApacheOpenOffice.
2004 Silverado ECSB Z71 5.3L
2009 Giant Cypress DX, 1996 Specialized Rockhopper
Smith and Wesson M&P9c, M&P22
Map of our travels. Our EveryTrail page
My Garmin Connect Profile

eugene

Post by eugene » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:00 pm

Snyper708 wrote:I use this FREE program:
http://huntingnut.com/index.php?name=PointBlank" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PointBlank is one of the most popular ballistics program on the internet. Completely redesigned in version 2.0, it offers a much easier to use interface with more intuative database organization and many other exciting features!
Looks nice, where is the Linux version?

procyon

Post by procyon » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:26 pm

MrFord wrote:The wood fibers are compressing and absorbing much of the impact. Try with something solid. I keep a 3"x3"x1 1/2" piece of steel on my bench for just this purpose and on the frequent occasion that it is otherwise occupied, I use the concrete floor. Works far better than a chunk of wood.
Cracked one inertial bullet puller several years back pounding it on the concrete floor.
Since then I have hit a piece of wood. It does lose a bit of force, but I haven't had the bullet puller break.
Having the round bounce around the basement wasn't nearly as irritating as trying to track down where it ended up.
... I will show you fear in a handful of dust...

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:51 pm

PistolPete wrote:
BullOnParade wrote: Is there a good, bad or better way to dispose of used tumbler media?
Not sure whether it's good, bad or ugly, but I use mine to fill in a sinkhole where there used to be a huge tree and the root system is slowly rotting out. :-)

It's also where I throw my branches for the occasional bonfire. One day I'll fill that bastard up. I've been at it 15 years and I'm about halfway.
My suspicion is that's absolutely fine as long as it's covered with topsoil so birds don't mistake the stuff for some tasty morsels. I figure there must be some level of lead residue in that well used media. And I know that lead bio-accumulates as it moves up the food chain, so covering it up seems like a reasonable trade-off for being able to just bury the stuff.

Normal disclaimers re: I'm not a real biologist, I just play one on TV, etc, etc.

procyon

Post by procyon » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:29 am

I've used several batches of used up media to fill old shot bags left over from my shotshell loading and used them as 'sand bags' when we were out shooting.
They aren't super heavy, but they make nice rests and don't rip the bottom out of boxes/bags I carry them in.
... I will show you fear in a handful of dust...

zobmiedown

Post by zobmiedown » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:30 pm

eugene wrote:
zobmiedown wrote:
eugene wrote:while not directly related I bought myself something that I can view/edit my load logs online
I love the lay out of that spreadsheet. I may have to start taking my tablet shooting with me and edit on the fly as well.
It took me a while to make that, I took all the fields for the one that turns up most when searching but it only had 4 loads. I then started compressing as much as possible. Couldn't fit everything all in one row so I combined similar fields into the partial two row format here. I can send it to anyone that wants it, I did it in LibreOffice then adjusted the fonts a little to make sure it works fine in ApacheOpenOffice.
Feel free to send it to me if you would like.

Procyon that's a great Idea for used media. I will have to do that and make me some light sand bags.
Regulators mount up.

zobmiedown

Post by zobmiedown » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:22 pm

Got my lee lead melting pot, 38/357 dual cavity bullet mold, ingot mold, and lyman casting manual. Going to start casting my own for the 38/357 and then maybe expand to other calibers.

And bullets, and casing have been rolling in lately as well as powder and primers on shelves in my area so I have been stocking up while it is available here.
Regulators mount up.

cricketdave
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by cricketdave » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:35 pm

Did you get a sizer and lube press too? The right size and shape top punch really makes it easier when you size and lube your cast bullets.
ZS#4545

Sledgecrowbar
Favorite Zombie Movies: I actually had WWZ up here way, way before it was actually announced. That was a pretty tremendous let-down. Seriously, read the book, it is one of the best things I've ever read.

Post by Sledgecrowbar » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:36 pm

Powder Valley got some VV back in, I think it's been over a year since they had any, but no flavors I want. Still a good sign. I periodically feel pangs of hunger for it as I'm totally out of powder. Not desperate enough to start experimenting with powders that are close to what I'd use for a given caliber, but have no reloading data, even if I could work it up.

Anyone ever do that? Get an idea that you might be trying something the manufacturers just didn't bother to, and you might get some nice results? I feel like I'm not experienced enough to mess with that yet, but I don't think I'd be afraid to, as long as it was close and I started at a safe loading.
Braxton wrote:Well my days of not taking ZS seriously are certainly coming to a middle.
Brotherbadger wrote:
crypto wrote:No honest man needs to staple more than 10 pages.
Just get a two ring binder. It's perfect for close range paper holding, and it won't go through drywall. Not to mention the sound of you opening and closing it will make the paper automatically fall in line.

Makarov
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead
The Walking Dead

Post by Makarov » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:12 pm

Ordered a GS Custom Primer Pocket Swager for my Dillon 650 yesterday. I've got a separate toolhead for prepping (up until now I've been using my trusty 550), with a Dillon 1200 casetrimmer, and when I get the spirit to finally set it up properly, I should be processing .mil 5.56 brass like a mofo... :clap:
Thomas

Der skal Kugle til en Thrønder

RIP hk33k

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:09 pm

Picked up the Nosler reloading manual on a whim tonight.I had a gift card burning a hole in my pocket, but I'm not disappointed. Lots of colour photos and charts, all glossy pages, and a nice write up on the history of each round. Kind of short on handgun data, but I have tons of that in the Lyman manual and Lyman pistol manual, and I want to start reloading rifle this year.
BullOnParade

chills1994

Post by chills1994 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:41 pm

Makarov wrote:Ordered a GS Custom Primer Pocket Swager for my Dillon 650 yesterday. I've got a separate toolhead for prepping (up until now I've been using my trusty 550), with a Dillon 1200 casetrimmer, and when I get the spirit to finally set it up properly, I should be processing .mil 5.56 brass like a mofo... :clap:
Let us know, please, how that GS custom primer de-crimper/swager doodad works for the Dillon 650. If you give it your seal of approval, then I will spring for one too and head over to Hi-Tech in Wentzville, MO and buy a bunch of once fired .mil brass.

I've got so much civilian or commercial brass in various stages it is hard to keep track of which is which. Some of the the stuff I trimmed too short, to 1.73' but it ran and shot fine.

Dillon unveiled a new trimmer at SHOT show, that will do .300 Blackout in one pass, along with a shortened or milled toolhead and dies:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCNLfsNwRbY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Guns are icky!

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:58 pm

Do any casters use a pan lube method? I was doing some reading on running bullets straight from the mould, no sizing die, when I came across this video:

I like the idea (sizing sucks), just curious if anyone here was familiar with it.
BullOnParade

cricketdave
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by cricketdave » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:14 pm

I haven't done it myself but I have known guys who did, they lost some accuracy. Having the bullet the exact right bore size is important enough to me to go to the trouble of running them through the sizing die. Its just not that much work I can size and lube 500 in a couple of hours with no problem. Now that is depending on your mold, I have another friend who makes cast lead bullets for a living with all automated machines, his machines size and lube automatically just have to keep dropping lead in the pots on the back of the casters.

edited to add

In addition if your running your caster with normal hand held molds when you size them through a die you smooth out any imperfections.
ZS#4545

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:41 pm

Maybe I wouldn't mind sizing so much if I could spend less time focusing on whether or not the rings are filled. Several videos on YouTube show users lubing in a pan and sizing afterwords, or reversed order.
BullOnParade

cricketdave
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by cricketdave » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:49 pm

I just keep a little ratchet wrench on the lube tube nut and give a quarter crank every other bullet and it keeps the rings filled just right. Are you making your own lube or buying pre made, home made can work better being a little softer.
ZS#4545

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:01 pm

I'm currently using premade lube, but I buy it off a guy at local shows, so it's a home made wax anyways.
I keep a ratchet on top of my sizing die, but it's never perfect, usually a mess, and just the least enjoyable part of my reloading process.
BullOnParade

SRO1911

Post by SRO1911 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:13 pm

Im liking the tumble lube bullets.
I am itching to try a batch of the gator snot (bayou bullet magic green STUFF) Ive got a small sample on the bench, just have not decided what I want to test it with....I am thinking that combined with a good gas check it might make an interesting 30 caliber option.

chills1994

Post by chills1994 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:35 pm

I sold off my Star lube sizer a couple of weeks ago. Star's are supposed to be like the Cadillacs of lubers and sizers.

I plan on getting the Lee push through sizer, to go up on top of my single stage press.

Then I am going to get some hollow point moulds. Then I am going to start electro statically powder coating those bullets, yeah, just like how appliances are "painted" at the factory.

Guns are icky!

Phoenix David
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: I am legend, Omega man

Post by Phoenix David » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:14 am

majorhavoc wrote:
Hornady 22 caliber projectiles, 55 grain, FMJ-BT with cannelure $10.50/100

http://www.brassbybill.com/product-p/ho2267.htm

I'm not familiar with Brass by Bill, but I bit on this and ordered 5 bags today. Shipping was a very reasonable $7.29. Lighting fast order confirmation.
Thanks for the link ordered 10 bags.
Nobody ever wishes they brought a smaller gun to a gun fight

eugene

Post by eugene » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:31 pm

Powder seems to be coming back in stock, I got another 1lb can of 700x today.

Phoenix David
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: I am legend, Omega man

Post by Phoenix David » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:46 pm

Lucky you, I haven't see any usable powders in a year, but if I wanted to load for a .50 BMG I could have tons of powder.
Nobody ever wishes they brought a smaller gun to a gun fight

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:48 pm

Phoenix David wrote:Lucky you, I haven't see any usable powders in a year, but if I wanted to load for a .50 BMG I could have tons of powder.
Well, get a conversion AR upper. I mean, you might as well, right?

This logic is why I own way too much dumb stuff.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”