Press therapy - reloading room *chat*

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

Zed Hunter

Re: Press therapy - reloading room *chat*

Post by Zed Hunter » Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:57 am

Do some reading. Lyman publishes one of the best shot shell reloading Manuel's around. Ballistic products inc. Is a good source for components and info. The combination 9f hull, wad, and powder is critical.

PistolPete

Post by PistolPete » Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:09 pm

Phil wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:13 pm
I've been intending on getting a reloading setup for the last 15 years at aleast. Perhaps this is the year. Since I have my eyes on a .44 lever action to pair with a .44 revolver, reloading only makes sense. That, and the fact that .30-06 is virtually unavailable for less than $2/round these days. Back in about 2006, I was GIVEN about 100 rounds just because a few friends had some extra and they didn't have plans on hunting that year.

Phil Forrest
44 is a great cartridge to learn reloading, it's so flexible. The downside to getting into it now is there are no primers to be had anywhere. Powders and bullets are readily available, brass is sporadic, but primers are ghosts.

And boskone, check out the annealing videos on Johnnie's Reloading Bench. He does it on the cheap (comparatively) and does it well.
Steemit, where I write stuff now

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:37 pm

Zed Hunter wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:57 am
Do some reading. Lyman publishes one of the best shot shell reloading Manuel's around. Ballistic products inc. Is a good source for components and info. The combination 9f hull, wad, and powder is critical.
Thank you Zed :D

PistolPete

Post by PistolPete » Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:54 pm

Well, 130gr Nosler E-Tip with 45gr of Varget out of a 270 will kill a deer just fine. Just not as fast as my 35 Whelen load I used last year. :lol:

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

boskone

Post by boskone » Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:24 pm

PistolPete wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:54 pm
Well, 130gr Nosler E-Tip with 45gr of Varget out of a 270 will kill a deer just fine. Just not as fast as my 35 Whelen load I used last year. :lol:
? .35 Whelen is like 600ft/s slower than .270, how's it faster?

(Couldn't resist.)

PistolPete

Post by PistolPete » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:10 am

boskone wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:24 pm
? .35 Whelen is like 600ft/s slower than .270, how's it faster?

(Couldn't resist.)
:lol: :lol: :lol:
It is an interesting comparison, since it's two versions of the same cartridge. One takes the 30-06 up and one down. Both do the job, but in different ways. Most of my deer hunting has been done with a 7mm-08 and the results of the 270 seemed really analogous to that. The deer I dropped with the 35 Whelen last year though was quite different, it just dropped on the spot, despite the spine not being hit. As well, the Whelen just puts a fat hole all the way through while the 270 definitely did more liquefying of the lungs. Both deer were dead when hit, it just took the ones with the smaller bullets longer to realize it.

I'm curious if I can load down 35 Whelen to be more youth / recoil friendly and still put a 3/4" hole all the way through a deer. People use 357 for deer hunting and 35 Remington is a well known deer stopper, this next year I may play around with some light Whelen loads and see if I can find something that's accurate enough and opens up the bullet while still getting enough penetration. Time to start saving milk jugs!

I do know that if you fill a 35 Whelen with Trail Boss and seat a 180gr bullet you get around 1500 fps. I think I want more than that though to ensure expansion and penetration.

- Mark Twain

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by 91Eunozs » Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:05 am

Still at the point where I’m basically just moving piles of stuff from one side of the new garage to the other, but finally got one of the quick change base plates I snagged from Inline Fabrication mounted:

Routed out part of the brand new bench top ( :ohdear: ) for a flush mount... And I no longer own a router so I started out using my 20+ year old Dremel with a router attachment. Bad idea... :oh:

Started out easy enough. It’s just soft pine...how tough can it be?

After 1/2 hour with those tiny bits, I hadn’t made much progress on anything other than losing what little remains of my hearing despite wearing ear plugs:

And then, a minute or two after that pic, it got quiet. Sadly, the little Dremel that’s cut off everything from bolts and locks, to trimming hand guards and polishing innumerable bits of metal, etc. finally went down for the count. Who knew two tiny little router bits could finally kill this one.

Luckily Lowe’s was still open, so I grabbed the cheapest “real” router they had in stock...a little 1/2 hp Bosch handheld unit...and finished the job in about 10 minutes, including opening the box and figuring out how to mount the bits and adjust the milling depth! :lol:

Always use the right tool for the job folks...
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

PistolPete

Post by PistolPete » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:06 pm

At least the end result is nice! Sad to see a tool give up the ghost but it looks like she went down swinging.

Last weekend I tested some light loads and man, a 90 gr bullet with a case full of trail boss in 6.5 CM shoots great groups and offers no recoil at all at around 1800 fps. I'm going to make more for sure for practice rounds for kiddos.

- Mark Twain

PistolPete

Post by PistolPete » Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:41 pm

Slow day at work so I'm catching up on entering numbers from my range notebook into my master spreadsheet and I found this really interesting regarding 44 Magnum. I took a bunch of chrono readings with 2 44 magnum rifles back in the summer, a 16" Rossi and a 20" Marlin. Most loads only ran about 50 FPS difference between the 16" and 20", but one load gave me a whopping 214 FPS difference. Oddly enough it was a 44 special load. But for most loads there is no real reason to use the 20" gun, unless you want the extra sight radius, tube magazine capacity or weight.

These loads are only safe in the guns used that day, use at your own peril, reloading carries certain risks, blah blah blah. Don't blow your face off. :-)

But here are the loads and the averages over 5 shots. (some only 3 shot averages if I didn't have much on hand)

44 Special 200 gr LRN over 5.5 gr HP-38 (my light revolver loads)
16: 893
20: 1106

44 special 300 gr LFP over 7.5 Unique
16: 1053
20: 1079

44 Mag 180 gr HP over 29.0 gr H110
16: 2089
20: 2165

44 Mag 180 gr HP over 13.7 gr CFE Pistol (my pleasant pistol load, which also was a really nice performer in the 16" barrel
16: 1722
20: 1780

44 Mag 300 gr LFP over 18.0 H100
16: 1387
20: 1432

44 magnum is such a versatile cartridge! The light loads were all really pleasant to shoot and that full power 180gr hollow point would be a heck of a deer load. The lighter 180 gr load would make a great home defense round, it had a lot less flash and recoil than the heavier load. It really makes me want to pick up another carbine, only one of the ones used that day was mine.

- Mark Twain

Challenger007

Post by Challenger007 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:22 am

Faced the fact that cartridges are now very expensive. I thought about buying a machine so that I could do this work with my own hands and at the same time save a lot of money. But only I cannot decide which machine is better to buy. Found in this review https://homemakerguide.com/best-progres ... ing-press/ a selection of different machines. Guys, tell me which of these is better to choose? Or maybe look at the options on another site altogether?

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”