Cleaning Kit's

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

moparmodeler
Favorite Zombie Movies: Omaga Man

Cleaning Kit's

Post by moparmodeler » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:57 am

When we think of survival, firearms are on the top of the list of things to have. With having firearms there are other thing that are a MUST to have; ammo and a good cleaning kit. No ammo, or bad ammo, a firearm is useless. No cleaning kit means firearm failure.

Here are a few pictures of my multipurpose cleaning kit. It is based off of the M1912 squad cleaning kit for the Colt 1911 .45. As you can see it does not have the original items in it. But as I carried it with me in the Army it morphed into a multipurpose kit. I first acquired my kit when I was stationed in Germany. It served me in many field problems as well as the first Persian Gulf war, and continues to serve me now today.

The steel case was produced for use in WWII, the many items inside are from various times since then.

Keeping the Fire Power lit.

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Re: Cleaning Kit's

Post by majorhavoc » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:49 am

Very nice. What do you have in the cans that look like shoe polish cans?

What calibers can you effectively clean? I would think one objective in a multipurpose cleaning kit would be the ability to handle as many calibers as possible, including calibers you don't presently own. You never know who you'll fall in with in a true disaster situation, and such a truly multi-caliber kit could be very useful to a group. (ETA: it sure looks like you've got the ability to clean just about everything.)
Last edited by majorhavoc on Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

huntingohio

Post by huntingohio » Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:10 pm

being a ww2 buff I have to say that i LOVE that case!

Looks like a nice kit for staying home but woud be awful heavy to carry

My cleaning kit is for a psitol so its much downsized Its one section from a standard gun cleaning rod, brass brush, patch holder and swab. I have a few pieces of cotton shop rags that i can cut into patches and one of the matal containers from a mosin tool kit one side has lube the other one of the all in one solvents. When i finnaly get another 22 pistol worthy of hunting with all ill have to add is an appropriate brush, holder, and swab.

Ninja edit i have a spare sring and 2 spare bushings 2 just because I had them so I chucked em in my kit. and an appropiate punch for major take down and cleaning [100k rounds and i still havent done it].

huntingohio

Post by huntingohio » Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:20 pm

huntingohio wrote:being a ww2 buff I have to say that i LOVE that case!

Looks like a nice kit for staying home but woud be awful heavy to carry

My cleaning kit is for a psitol so its much downsized Its one section from a standard gun cleaning rod, brass brush, patch holder and swab. I have a few pieces of cotton shop rags that i can cut into patches and one of the matal containers from a mosin tool kit one side has lube the other one of the all in one solvents. When i finnaly get another 22 pistol worthy of hunting with all ill have to add is an appropriate brush, holder, and swab.

Ninja edit i have a spare sring and 2 spare bushings 2 just because I had them so I chucked em in my kit. and an appropiate punch for major take down and cleaning [100k rounds and i still havent done it].
majorhavoc wrote:Very nice. What do you have in the cans that look like shoe polish cans?

What calibers can you effectively clean? I would think one objective in a multipurpose cleaning kit would be the ability to handle as many calibers as possible, including calibers you don't presently own. You never know who you'll fall in with in a true disaster situation, and such a truly multi-caliber kit could be very useful to a group.
I say one kit from otis that claimed to clean .17 thru .30 cal that was all in a pouch but im still not sold on there pull through cleaning rope thing, ive had to knock too many stuck rounds out of guns with a rod. I do use boresnakes for at home cleaing though if i didnt blast through a bunch of rounds, they work really well.
I soak the end before the brass brush part in solvent, run the snake partailly through, then wrap the end the string end around my foot or boot and put my finger through the end loop, stretch and use it to scrub inside the barrel, then pull it through a few times, then soak the loop end in my favorite oil and pul it through one final time leaving a nice thin coat of oil in the barrel. Wipe it down with an oily rag and put er away.
Ive got quite a few guns that are WAY high in round cout that ive only cleaned like that with the snake and have has zero gun related malfs.

Desolo

Post by Desolo » Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:12 pm

Now thats pretty darn neat! and the repurposed carry case is awesome too!
Thanks to you, I have something else I need to put together: a nice portable multipupose cleaning and maintence set quite a bit like yours 8-)

moparmodeler

Post by moparmodeler » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:07 pm

I am not sure of the range calibers that my kit can do. All I would really need to do is find a bore brush for what ever caliber I need to clean. The "shoe polish can's" are not what they seem. In fact the empty can is original to the kit, the other is a grease can with grease for the .50cal. the empty can was intended for spare parts for the 1911's and for patches. I use mine for patches. I will try to post some pictures of a complete 1912 squad cleaning kit.
As far as being heavy....I was always attached to some kind of vehicle, so I could store my kit in it. And I feel that in an apocalypse we would have some sort of base camp or conveyance to carry our necessary gear and supplies.

The kit pictured below is from WWI, and has a wooden insert. Were as mine is WWII and has metal compartments inside. but the contents would be the same the same.

sarky
Favorite Zombie Movies: Day of the Dead
Dawn of the Dead
Shawn of the Dead

Post by sarky » Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:08 pm

I've gone to Bore Snakes for my field cleaning kits. Bore Snake kits were available from Midway but I think they've been discontinued. The kit was a pouch with apropiate bore snake, squeeze bottle of cleaner, squeeze bottle of oil and some plastic gizmo(kind of a bore guide?). It's light and cleans pretty good in the field. When the snake gets too dirty, just throw it in the washer with some soap.
20 years USN
SERE Instructor
P-3 Flight Engineer
Certified Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun Instructor

MacAttack

Post by MacAttack » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:59 pm

Ar15/M16 cleaning kit in the buttstock and an Otis kit.
A few things added to cover broken shells and shotguns.

I just personally don't like bore snakes. I can't get over the idea of dragging the same dirty rag through your barrel until you think its clean.
Just one piece of grit that can scratch the barrel could just keep getting pulled through until you send it to the washer. Which could be weeks out in the field.

Dasho101
Favorite Zombie Movies: Range 15

Post by Dasho101 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:25 pm

i love the kit and now wann build one like that of my own. the only thing i woudl recommend you is get a small otis style or bore snake in the calibers you carry on you at all times post end of the world just in case you must abandon you base camp (even temporarily... a clean weapon is a happy weapon). but other than that dang i want.
Jeriah wrote:
My Sig functions on Teutonic Gnome Magic, thank you very much.
Remember Nancy Reagan? "JUST SAY NO!"

Kutter_0311
Favorite Zombie Movies: too many to get into...

Post by Kutter_0311 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:45 am

I love the old school kit!

That said, I ain't humping that shit. It'd stay in my gun safe with the classic guns.

My standard weapons for trouble are AK/Glock, and both can be cleaned and maintained with a bore snake, CLP brush, some lube, and a rag. If you are worried about grit in your bore snake, you can hand wash it, just like clothes. Bore snakes were doing great in Iraq and A-stan, last I heard, even in the epicly remote locations.
JAYNE COBB wrote: Well, what you plan and what takes place ain't ever exactly been similar.
TravisM.1 wrote:If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.
minengr wrote:I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

moparmodeler

Post by moparmodeler » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:22 pm

Truly we can all agree on a clean gun.
My cleaning kit is more of a level 2 kit. I would not "hump" it with me either.
Nor do I plan on toting 4 or 5 guns either. It is a bit much to take to the range, unless I do plan on cleaning more then 1 firearm.
I could preach all day on what to carry for what purpose. But who really cares what I think.
I have never used a bore snake. I guess I am old school, a length of cloth like a part of a old t-shirt ran back and forth through the barrel is what I do. Same thing, just not as fancy.

I think the important thing is is that we take good care of all our equipment.

p.s. I self edited my post. I most have been in a wierd mood.

and it would be interesting to see and hear about your cleaning kits.

Dasho101
Favorite Zombie Movies: Range 15

Post by Dasho101 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:35 pm

i run my old otis kit (using old torn up whit tees instead of there cloths) ive also used bore snakes for a quick and dirty clean (if im worried about any obstructing but dont have time to break out and clean the way i like) because it cant even way a full oz. i also have a few well set up and organized home cleaning kits but i have stooped using brass rods in any of my weapons (its just a personal preference). i dont have pics of otis but go to there site and its the tan m16/m4 with optics cleaning stuff and a 9mm brush and pull through jig thing added from a kit my friend lost most of (always take care of your tools)
Jeriah wrote:
My Sig functions on Teutonic Gnome Magic, thank you very much.
Remember Nancy Reagan? "JUST SAY NO!"

MacAttack

Post by MacAttack » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:58 pm

How do you clean an AR chamber with a bore snake?

kaligaran

Post by kaligaran » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:22 pm

If any of you looking for a nice carry kit, may recommend the Otis military kits?
This particular kit is multi-caliber but you can get them in specific calibers if you so desire. NSN:1005-01-526-7354

I use my kit every time I clean my gun and love it. :) It's very small as well.

I picked up this one on ebay a while back for about $60 new in the package (shop around and you'll find them for a reasonable price).

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:24 pm

MacAttack wrote:How do you clean an AR chamber with a bore snake?
You don't. If you need to clean the chamber, use a chamber brush, inserted from the breech end. For a fighting carbine, this isn't usually necessary...and neither is cleaning the bore. For a precision rifle...I'll leave that to precision shooters.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”