Ammo shortage?

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

Shado67
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of The Dead (2004), 28 Days Later, Zombieland!, Evil Dead 2, Army of Darkness.

Ammo shortage?

Post by Shado67 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:31 am

It started again. Reminds me of 2009. Local walmarts are cleaned out (especially 9mm). The bass pro shop employee told me they were notified of short supplies through the first of the year.

Anyone else notice the run on ammo?

PistolPete
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: Ammo shortage?

Post by PistolPete » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:54 am

Yeah, it's been hit or miss lately. Prices are up on 223 and 556 for sure. My range didn't have any 5.7 yesterday, said they were having a hard time getting it. But it's nothing like it was in late 2008 and 2009.
Steemit, where I write stuff now

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

Shado67
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of The Dead (2004), 28 Days Later, Zombieland!, Evil Dead 2, Army of Darkness.

Ammo shortage?

Post by Shado67 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:59 pm

Give it time. As we get closer to November it will get worse.

Obama wants to re-enact the assault gun ban.

raxar

Post by raxar » Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:02 pm

the local wal-mart has been hit or miss for ammo since 2008, and in their genius decided to reduce the amount of ammo it carries. I haven't seen any huge run on it at the local shops.
Last edited by raxar on Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...although my tactical get up is a tarzan loin cloth and giant lolly pop
Cobray's website wrote:Remember The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of a cheap price is forgotten.
Cobray firearms, your #1 source for irony.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:02 pm

Shado67 wrote:Give it time. As we get closer to November it will get worse.

Obama wants to re-enact the assault gun ban.
Tread lightly with the politics. :wink:

I haven't noticed a shortage yet in my AO......Then again, I can't remember the last time I bought ammo from a brick & mortar store.
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

MacAttack

Post by MacAttack » Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:52 pm

Ammo shortage?!!!!?

I better run out and get some now!

Really I'm already stocked and prepped for a short time shortage. A few months will not bother me. 6 months plus and I might start to cut back on the practicing with centerfire and concentrate on 22lr.
Conversion kits keep me happy.

bae

Post by bae » Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:58 pm

RickOShea wrote: I haven't noticed a shortage yet in my AO......Then again, I can't remember the last time I bought ammo from a brick & mortar store.
No shortage evident here. And all the Internet suppliers I usually order in bulk from have pretty good stocks and prices still.

Shado67

Ammo shortage?

Post by Shado67 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:06 pm

No politics. He said it in a speech with the Mexican president recently.

The Walmart in my area is limiting ammo purchases to 3 boxes per customer. Ammo is still available online so far.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:47 pm

Shado67 wrote:No politics. He said it in a speech with the Mexican president recently.
{Citation Required}
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

stimpy321972
Favorite Zombie Movies: dawn of the dead, shaun of the dead

Post by stimpy321972 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:05 pm

I have 5 walmarts within 30 min of me and all of them have full shelves of ammo, except for .223, which is hit or miss anyway and one of them where the manager keeps low inventory as a rule.
MaxRite wrote:
BigBossMan wrote: My AR is a precision weapon.
Couldn't agree more. It is a precision weapon. It will jam at the precise moment you need it the most. :)
AK/Glock/Blue Wire w orange stripe/Twinkies

Call Sign: KK4JKV

GP100Wii

Post by GP100Wii » Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:21 pm

I have no ammo shortage around me in any stores I've been into.

HOWEVER, one of the big gun stores was out of .38 American Eagle 130 grain. None of it in the store or out back. Thought that was weird because they used to have it stacked DEEP.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:43 pm

I have seen no shortages. I have seen price increases which to me means sales are strong.

williaty

Post by williaty » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:43 am

Blacksmith wrote:
Shado67 wrote:No politics. He said it in a speech with the Mexican president recently.
{Citation Required}
+1 This is actually a preps issue to me. Strong likelihood of an end to legal availability of the parts to complete my AR the way I want it completed would prioritize final parts purchases over other preps purchases. NRA nutjob conspiracy rumors mean I continue to save for a grain mill+spares and put off the AR purchases into late 2013 at best.

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:58 am

No shortages yet, but alarmingly high prices.

I pointedly do not delve into what on earth might be causing it. I will however segue into the related topic of ammunition reloading. No only is it a valuable skill to have if you believe in a TEOTWAWKI scenario, not only is it a strangely zen-like hobby, but in these times of spiraling ammo prices, it's a smart investment.

Starting with a single stage starter kit from Lee, I originally projected my initial investment to reach a break even point at 2000 rounds of AR ammunition. With the escalating cost of ammunition, I've revised that figure to 1500 rounds. I'm 2/3s of the way there.

And having recently acquired a 9mm handgun, one that thus far has fired nothing but reloads, I was startled to project the break even point to be a mere 750 rounds. I'll hit that well before the end of summer.

Whether it's ammo shortage or merely ammo price inflation, reloading is an increasingly viable solution.

TodaysBushcraft
Favorite Zombie Movies: "Dawn of the Dead", "Shaun of the Dead" Love the new "Walking Dead" series too!

Ammo shortage?

Post by TodaysBushcraft » Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:28 am

The change in govt usually causes this type thing. The economy makes it worse, more people are afraid for their safety. Crime is up, so Gun sales are up, ammo sales up...go figure!
TOYALY agree on the reloading thing, nothing but benefits there! Order on line or at gun shows for good deals

JustAnotherSnakeCult

Post by JustAnotherSnakeCult » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:29 am

Blacksmith wrote:
{Citation Required}
I believe it was the Mexican President that recently (April 2012) called for the US to re-instated the AWB not the US President. Calderon has been saying such things for years so I wouldn't worry about it.

On topic, I've seen no ammo shortage just a shortage of reasonably priced ammo...

BHP

Post by BHP » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:38 am

Months ago I was saying that this year may be worse than the 2008 election cycle but I'm beginning to think that may not be the case. As the current president keeps slipping in the polls (and fundraising seems down as well) I'm beginning to think this year may not be so bad afterall. Still too soon to say though.

I can say from the dealer side, the supply side is getting tighter for both guns and ammo. It may not make it down to the individual yet but there are shortages on the wholesale level.

Chase The hero

Post by Chase The hero » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:39 am

The Federal .22LR bulk packs went up 3$ to a total of 20$ at walmart in teh last month or two. However, Academy still had it at 16-19$, and i can still find steel .223 for just under 5$/20, but i cannot find 7.62x39 anywhere in town. Every time i go to a sporting goods store i just spend 5-10$ on ammo per trip to help build up my stockpile. I'm also getting 9x19mm where i can because i have a feeling that when i get my glock in November (if i can fond one) 9x19mm will be a bit scarce.
Kommander wrote:
Hoot Harrington wrote:Kids, pizzas, same thing.
Well they are both tasty
RickOShea wrote: there are only three kinds of snake that I don't like: live ones, dead ones and sticks that look like snakes.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:58 am

williaty wrote: NRA nutjob conspiracy......
I take it you aren't a member. :(

That's okay, I give them enough to make-up for several people.

ETA: If the "old" AWB were reinacted, all you'd need to build a AR with pre-ban features are a pre-ban stripped lower receiver and pre-ban magazines. Those are the "parts" that the price would go up on markedly under a ban......and coincidentally, those are the "parts" that are currently the cheapest on an AR build.
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

DannusMaximus
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by DannusMaximus » Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:07 pm

TodaysBushcraft wrote:The change in govt usually causes this type thing. The economy makes it worse, more people are afraid for their safety. Crime is up, so Gun sales are up, ammo sales up...go figure!TOYALY agree on the reloading thing, nothing but benefits there! Order on line or at gun shows for good deals
Not to nitpick, but statistically violent crime in the U.S. is lower than it has been for nearly 1/2 a century. I think even property crimes are down, I would have to check on that.

I do, however, think that the perception of rising crime makes people buy more guns and ammo, and I think that generally there is a perception that crime is rampant. It is in some areas, of course, but not in most. I blame the histrionics of our 24 hour new cycle for that perception, but that's another topic entirely.

On topic, plenty of ammo in the stores around here, all calibers, and prices don't seem to be any higher or lower than they have been since the first of the year. I'm buying a little extra here and there to add to the old stockpile, though... just in case... :shock:
Holmes: "You have arms, I suppose?
Watson: "Yes, I thought it as well to take them."
Holmes: "Most certainly! Keep your revolver near you night and day, and never relax your precautions..."

- The Hound of the Baskervilles

Boris

Post by Boris » Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:43 pm

Anecdotal evidence as perceived by one person doesn't mean anything to me. Also, pointing out that there might be an increase in ammunition and weapons purhcases during a presidential election year doesn't deserve a special award or anything.

I guess I just don't see the point of threads like this.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-- Teddy Roosevelt

Shado67

Ammo shortage?

Post by Shado67 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:56 pm

Boris wrote:Anecdotal evidence as perceived by one person doesn't mean anything to me. Also, pointing out that there might be an increase in ammunition and weapons purhcases during a presidential election year doesn't deserve a special award or anything.

I guess I just don't see the point of threads like this.
Then feel free not to comment on a thread you see no point on.

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by phil_in_cs » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:50 pm

Blacksmith wrote:
{Citation Required}
We don't need a citation, we need to STFU on the politics.
Don't confuse a belligerent and aggressive attitude with the strength, training, and conditioning needed to prevail in a fight. How do you know you have the Will To Win, if you don't even have the will to train?

PistolPete
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by PistolPete » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:51 pm

This isn't even close to on topic anymore, I'm going to lock it.
Steemit, where I write stuff now

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”