impressive for a .22 round...

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

Big Gulp
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the dead, Zombie land

impressive for a .22 round...

Post by Big Gulp » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:55 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6exXXsf5XII" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I shoot these in both my 22's and now they are in my BOB for the Buck mark lite!!!
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid."
- General Dwight D. Eisenhower

Omega DR
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (remake), Night of the Living Dead(1990), The Zombie Dairies, 28 Days Later

Re: impressive for a .22 round...

Post by Omega DR » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:10 am

Big Gulp wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6exXXsf5XII

I shoot these in both my 22's and now they are in my BOB for the Buck mark lite!!!
Check this out. My next purchase will be a 22.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEDo_PbAvJc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tonytwotimes

Post by tonytwotimes » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:29 am

.22 is not to be trifled with. My mom told me that when she was an emergency room nurse, that they knew it was gonna be a fucking mess if the cop told them "he got shot with a .22"
Distance is a very good indicator of disdain

Makarov
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead
The Walking Dead

Post by Makarov » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:27 pm

I've tested both rounds in my 10/22, and they're both impressive in accuracy out to 100 meters. Ended up packing the Minimag, due to the handy 100 rd box, availability and price. Haven't tested it in my Ruger mkII yet, might have to do that too...
Thomas

Der skal Kugle til en Thrønder

RIP hk33k

Czechnology
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Czechnology » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:11 pm

Omega DR wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEDo_PbAvJc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That's quite a temporary cavity, but flesh is quite elastic. This looks like an excellent round for everything up to foxes.
Nothing is ever what it seems, but everything is exactly what it is.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:If Nutnfacny were an 8-ounce chicken fried steak, he'd come with 72 ounces of batter around it that you have to slash through to get to it.

jamoni
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by jamoni » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:14 pm

tonytwotimes wrote:.22 is not to be trifled with. My mom told me that when she was an emergency room nurse, that they knew it was gonna be a fucking mess if the cop told them "he got shot with a .22"
That's because the procedure for most larger rounds is "Zip him up".
:lol:
JoergS wrote:Realistically, I think I can launch a nine pound chain saw at 50 fps from a shoulder mounted rubber powered bazooka...
squinty wrote:I reserve the right to yell "Dookyhole!" - or it's Hebrew equivalent if such a thing exists - whilst dispensing a barrage of palm strikes at my opponent.

flsgear
Favorite Zombie Movies: :D all of them I think O_O

Post by flsgear » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:15 pm

minimags and velicitors feed with incredible reliability too, if you have feeding issues like my wife's ruger mkIII did (until a few thousand rounds of break in)
Owner, Messina's Front Line Survival Gear - website at http://www.flsgear.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;!
Blog: flsgear.wordpress.com (mostly inactive)
Twitter: twitter.com/mmessina_author (active, not biz related)
Facebook: http://on.fb.me/foPFgx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (very active)
Also part-time sci-fi author - http://amzn.to/vYUbTw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bluesquid
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: ALLLLLLLLL

Post by bluesquid » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:16 pm

pretty damn good for ole .22
FEED YOUR WOLVES WISELY! "The best battle rifle ever made is the FAL bar none".

Omega DR
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (remake), Night of the Living Dead(1990), The Zombie Dairies, 28 Days Later

Post by Omega DR » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:23 pm

Czechnology wrote:
Omega DR wrote:

That's quite a temporary cavity, but flesh is quite elastic. This looks like an excellent round for everything up to foxes.
Now imagine the temporary cavity inside the skull... Whether it a Zombie or a Looter, still pretty effective.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:41 pm

tonytwotimes wrote:.22 is not to be trifled with. My mom told me that when she was an emergency room nurse, that they knew it was gonna be a fucking mess if the cop told them "he got shot with a .22"
Generally, holes in people caused by explosively fired things are not trifling matters.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Czechnology
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Czechnology » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:45 pm

Omega DR wrote:Now imagine the temporary cavity inside the skull... Whether it a Zombie or a Looter, still pretty effective.

Discussion of illegal activities (such as murder) is against forum rules. You're sort of new still, so I'll just ask that you please go review all of them (the rules) before posting again.

OT: .22 doesn't penetrate (particularly round, hard objects like skulls) reliably enough for me to feel comfortable taking headshots @ anything bigger than a raccoon and expecting it to behave like it does in SIMTEST/Ballistic Gelatin.
Nothing is ever what it seems, but everything is exactly what it is.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:If Nutnfacny were an 8-ounce chicken fried steak, he'd come with 72 ounces of batter around it that you have to slash through to get to it.

VeniVidiVici

Post by VeniVidiVici » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:14 am

CCI makes good stuff. I don't think I've ever had a round from CCI not fire and I shoot thousands of rounds of 22lr year. I think it's as American as apple pie. :mrgreen:
"I would rather walk with God in the dark than go alone in the light." ~Mary Gardiner Brainard

Cummins/Knight's Armament Company/Colt/Barrett/

KentsOkay
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Post by KentsOkay » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:59 am

.22 is the Hammer of Thor!

I have a new favorite youtube channel, thanks guy.
0122358 wrote:so we moved a thread to maintain OPSEC on a fictional vid game so our team doesnt get kill as easily by possible spies...fuckin sweet

Unofficial FB for ZSC XXX http://www.facebook.com/groups/156431031119773

JFlagg

Post by JFlagg » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:18 am

Cci is the only ammo I shoot out of my .22... They make some good stuff. It's a lot more reliable out of my gun than any of the bulk(milk carton) ammo I've bought. Extremely accurate too. I can get one hole groups at 25 yards with my old trusty squirrel gun :D
"Watermelons, because they taste so much better than glass bottles when you shoot them with a machine gun"

Big Gulp

Post by Big Gulp » Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:04 pm

Czechnology wrote:
Omega DR wrote:Now imagine the temporary cavity inside the skull... Whether it a Zombie or a Looter, still pretty effective.

Discussion of illegal activities (such as murder) is against forum rules. You're sort of new still, so I'll just ask that you please go review all of them (the rules) before posting again.

OT: .22 doesn't penetrate (particularly round, hard objects like skulls) reliably enough for me to feel comfortable taking headshots @ anything bigger than a raccoon and expecting it to behave like it does in SIMTEST/Ballistic Gelatin.

Shooting an imaginary undead creature in the head is not murder, nor is it illegal. Shooting someone breaking into your house to loot your stuff is also NOT illegal or murder.(at least not in Utah :D ) He said "IMAGINE" the cavity that the bullet would create. He didn't say that he was going to go shoot someone in the head and film it for science...

A .22 lr is more than adequate at penetrating the skull of a medium to large sized mammal. It is a grossly underestimated cartridge. The limiting factors are distance and shot placement not penetration. If you don't feel comfortable using it for anything bigger than racoons that is your limitation not the bullets.

Read this... http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthr ... Post503007" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Necrodamus

Post by Necrodamus » Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:27 pm

Big Gulp wrote:
Czechnology wrote:

Shooting an imaginary undead creature in the head is not murder, nor is it illegal. Shooting someone breaking into your house to loot your stuff is also NOT illegal or murder.(at least not in Utah :D ) He said "IMAGINE" the cavity that the bullet would create. He didn't say that he was going to go shoot someone in the head and film it for science...

A .22 lr is more than adequate at penetrating the skull of a medium to large sized mammal. It is a grossly underestimated cartridge. The limiting factors are distance and shot placement not penetration. If you don't feel comfortable using it for anything bigger than racoons that is your limitation not the bullets.

Read this... http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthr ... Post503007" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
read your own post, here I will help
look for the bold, large type
Looters are NOT fictional, it is murder and it is illegal.
Its also very unwanted attention for this site.

You may also want to notice that Czechnology's username is in RED, meaning he is a moderator.
He gave a friendly reminder to a newbie.
Careful you dont piss your own Cheerios, as you are fairly new yourself.

DannusMaximus
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by DannusMaximus » Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:58 pm

That's a really well made video. Thanks for posting.
Holmes: "You have arms, I suppose?
Watson: "Yes, I thought it as well to take them."
Holmes: "Most certainly! Keep your revolver near you night and day, and never relax your precautions..."

- The Hound of the Baskervilles

Big Gulp

Post by Big Gulp » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:29 pm

I did not say that looters were fictional. I said Zombies were.
As a resident of Utah (and most other states) it is legal to shoot anyone that illegally enters your home. That is not murder, it is self defense. If talking about that is not allowed than I won't be returning.

I don't care if someone is a moderator or if they have 5 million posts. That does not make them omniscient. I know he was being friendly, so was I. You are acting like a condescending butt head.

I am new to this website, so what. I am a ten year Army Combat infantry veteran and a Federal Law Enforcement Officer. I have been shot at, I have been shot, I have had to return fire and take lives. It is my job to investigate and prevent violent crimes. I might be qualified to comment on the articulation of another users post based on legality and intent. Do you disagree?

I probably know a thing or two about the effects of bullets, shrapnel and other weapons on a human.

You spend a lot of time on the internet and this site so you probably know more than me about this stuff. Right? :roll:

I am very friendly and I do not lurk for chances to assert my internet statistical superiority on "newbies" like you seem to enjoy.
If the moderator has a problem with my comments than he can tell me.

Unfortunately, it is very hard to know the tone and intent of one's comments when put into text on a screen.
I don't appreciate the tone that was obviously demeaning from you. Who are you to talk to me like that?
You did not even attempt to contribute to the topic and I doubt you could.

I generally assume that the tone of most peoples comments are neutral and respectful. I guess you do not.

For a site called Zombie Squad with such a violent slogan, I find that a lot of users are expecting it to be NPR or something. What kind of attention do you expect to get?

So, my "cyber geek" friend, un-wad your panties and try to relax a little. I don't know you and you don't know me. If you like the contention and the sense of importance you feel from arbitrarily berating
random users from behind your keyboard, than bring it on. If you want to make friends and maybe learn something from someone new... bring it on.
Either way is fine with me!

To get back on topic. The IDF (Israeli Defense Force) uses suppressed .22 rifles on the battle field to make silent, precision kills. I will take my .308 over a .22 any day but it is nice to know that I could rely on my .22's if I had to.

fourway
Favorite Zombie Movies: I'd have to go with Return.
It's pre-cgi, it's funny, the zombies are fast and they talk. Remember the half a corpse on the embalmer's table explaining why zombies eat brains?

Post by fourway » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:43 pm

Czechnology wrote:OT: .22 doesn't penetrate (particularly round, hard objects like skulls) reliably enough for me to feel comfortable taking headshots @ anything bigger than a raccoon and expecting it to behave like it does in SIMTEST/Ballistic Gelatin.
Not to poke the wasps nest of tired old gear war here... but...
While clearly a hard jacked centerfire rifle bullet of any kind is going to outperform the humble .22 on penetration of >racoon skull type objects... they also generally weigh between 5 and 30 times more than a 22lr round, cost between 15 and 150 times more per, make significantly more noise and have significantly more recoil.
If all you have is a .22 to hand and you do not feel confident that the larger than raccoon skull you are shooting it at will wind up sufficiently punctured, you can shoot it ten or twelve more times, likely without having to reacquire the target, and at a cost of about a quarter... and as an added bonus if there are other skulls near the skull you are shooting at and those skulls have ears you can probably bounce your 25 cents worth of 22lr bullets off the target skull (which really ought to be enough to ruin any skull's day) before the others skulls start wondering what that popping sound is and why skull number one is having a lie down.
Shumway's Law: Bleeding will always stop on its own eventually

TheLastRifleMan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later

Post by TheLastRifleMan » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:47 pm

I have used this round on squirrel for many years and it is devastating. No need to go to the CCI stingers in my opinion. I have not shot anything bigger then fox squirrel with this round but I imagine it would be just as effective on rabbits, close range wood chuck, raccoon and other small to medium sized varmints.

"If ye break faith with those who died,
We shall not sleep..."

Necrodamus

Post by Necrodamus » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:15 pm

There are quite a few very impressive videos on that youtube channel.
Check out the Aguila SSS, you can see the keyhole action as it penetrates.

Last edited by Necrodamus on Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:26 pm

Big Gulp wrote:I did not say that looters were fictional. I said Zombies were.
As a resident of Utah (and most other states) it is legal to shoot anyone that illegally enters your home. That is not murder, it is self defense. If talking about that is not allowed than I won't be returning.

I don't care if someone is a moderator or if they have 5 million posts. That does not make them omniscient. I know he was being friendly, so was I. You are acting like a condescending butt head. Personal attacks already?

I am new to this website, so what. I am a ten year Army Combat infantry veteran and a Federal Law Enforcement Officer. I have been shot at, I have been shot, I have had to return fire and take lives. It is my job to investigate and prevent violent crimes. I might be qualified to comment on the articulation of another users post based on legality and intent. Do you disagree?Moderators have the final say on the forum.

I probably know a thing or two about the effects of bullets, shrapnel and other weapons on a human.

You spend a lot of time on the internet and this site so you probably know more than me about this stuff. Right? :roll:

I am very friendly and I do not lurk for chances to assert my internet statistical superiority on "newbies" like you seem to enjoy.
If the moderator has a problem with my comments than he can tell me.

Unfortunately, it is very hard to know the tone and intent of one's comments when put into text on a screen.
I don't appreciate the tone that was obviously demeaning from you. Who are you to talk to me like that?
You did not even attempt to contribute to the topic and I doubt you could.

I generally assume that the tone of most peoples comments are neutral and respectful. I guess you do not.

For a site called Zombie Squad with such a violent slogan, I find that a lot of users are expecting it to be NPR or something. What kind of attention do you expect to get?

So, my "cyber geek" friend, un-wad your panties and try to relax a little. I don't know you and you don't know me. If you like the contention and the sense of importance you feel from arbitrarily berating
random users from behind your keyboard, than bring it on. If you want to make friends and maybe learn something from someone new... bring it on.
Either way is fine with me!

To get back on topic. The IDF (Israeli Defense Force) uses suppressed .22 rifles CITATION REQUIRED on the battle field to make silent, precision kills. I will take my .308 over a .22 any day but it is nice to know that I could rely on my .22's if I had to.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

VeniVidiVici

Post by VeniVidiVici » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:08 pm

Doc Torr wrote:
Big Gulp wrote:To get back on topic. The IDF (Israeli Defense Force) uses suppressed .22 rifles CITATION REQUIRED on the battle field to make silent, precision kills. I will take my .308 over a .22 any day but it is nice to know that I could rely on my .22's if I had to.
There is a video of these soldiers shooting a couple dozen protestors floating around the internet. I tried to find it but, I could only find this still photo. Image Proof enough IMO. There are some news articles written about it as well if you want to google it.
"I would rather walk with God in the dark than go alone in the light." ~Mary Gardiner Brainard

Cummins/Knight's Armament Company/Colt/Barrett/

Mr. E. Monkey

Post by Mr. E. Monkey » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:20 pm

Necrodamus wrote:Looters are NOT fictional, it is murder and it is illegal.
In all fairness, that entirely depends on your jurisdiction. In Arizona, for example, I am within my rights to use physical force "when and to the extent that a reasonable person would believe it necessary to prevent what a reasonable person would believe is an attempt or commission by the other person of theft or criminal damage involving tangible movable property under his possession or control, but such person may use deadly physical force under these circumstances as provided in sections 13-405, 13-406 and 13-411."
ARS 13-408

13-411 justifies deadly physical force to prevent such crimes as burglary in the second or first degree, and armed robbery, with no duty to retreat.

I'm pretty sure that would include at least most situations involving looting.

Now, all that aside, if a moderator wants to discourage talking about any situation that involves making a living person non-living, that's one thing, and understandable; but to use a blanket excuse of "it's murder, and illegal" is not entirely accurate.

Perhaps if Omega DR had said "Whether it a Zombie or a self-defense situation" it might not have ruffled as many feathers, while still remaining relevant?

At any rate, arguing over this is a lot less productive than arguing whether or not .22lr is teh l33t zombie killing ammo evah. :mrgreen:

Anyway, in a (probably futile) attempt to add something useful to the discussion, regarding the IDF's use of .22lr:

Protesters: IDF used .22-caliber ammo at West Bank fence
The IDF Spokesman's Office denied that the boy was harmed; it said he was arrested among others and later returned to his home because of his age. The spokesman's office said that .22-caliber bullets were used "in accordance with strict rules of engagement regarding protesters who intend to harm the security forces and vandalize the separation fence."
Israeli Special Forces Weapons Guide
Unfortunately, the site requires a membership to read about the different systems, but they do list a Ruger 10/22 Suppressed among their Sniper Weapon Systems.

Ruger 10/22 Suppressed Sniper Rifle
This site has some interesting information--I'm not sure of the veracity of it all, but they do have pictures, and link to the isayeret site above. A few of the more interesting points (in my not-so-humble opinion):
* Israeli SF deployed the Ruger 10/22 more as a “Hush Puppy” weapon used to silently and effectively eliminate disturbing dogs prior to operations.
* it’s original role (was) as a less lethal riot control weapon.
* After several incidents involving the death of Palestinians by the Ruger fire, the IDF conducted a field experiment in the Ruger at the IDF Sniper School in Mitkan Adam under the supervision of the IDF Judge Advocate General (JAG). The test showed that the Ruger was more lethal then (sic) thought especially in upper body injuries.
SMoAF wrote:'Tis better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.
Beowolf wrote:Disasters are terrifying, but people are stupid.
wee drop o' bush wrote:THE EVIL MONKEY HAS WON THE INTERNETS! :lol: Image

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”