What do you suggest for hogs

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

User avatar
Bender711
* * * *
Posts: 839
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2005 11:00 pm
Location: FL
Contact:

What do you suggest for hogs

Post by Bender711 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:29 pm

Last time my dad got up to his land he noticed the hogs have moved in and started doing what they do best and destroying things. He mostly does bench rest shooting so his guns are too heavy to carry for any amount of time. What caliber/rifle do you guys suggest for taking out hogs? Also he suggested using solid copper rounds to avoid getting lead in the meat, anything to this?

nimdabew
* * * * *
Posts: 9346
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:27 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD
I am ledgend
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: What do you suggest for hogs

Post by nimdabew » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:35 pm

Do yuo want to eat them after you get done slaying them or is this just anti-pest?
Thanks Anianna!
Image
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:I say when Wee Drop visits the US, we make her ride a goat. You know, like those little monkey cowboys they have at some rodeos. :lol:

User avatar
raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 17060
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:18 pm
Location: Greater New Orleans Area

Re: What do you suggest for hogs

Post by raptor » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:08 pm

A lever action .44 magnum with a good heavy hard cast bullet or a 12 gauge shot gun with a rifled slug barrel and premium slugs are good for ranges under 100 yards.

A .30-06/.308/7.62x53R also works well on the ones in my area. Just be sure to use expanding bullets for a humane kill. I have yet to run into a hog that can withstand a 165 gr out of a .30-06. Not saying they are not out there just that I have not met one.

Lead contamination IMO is not a big deal but if it bothers you use the all copper rounds in 12 gauge or in the rifle calibers.

Depending upon the hog size and terrain/range you can even use a .357 mag with a decent heavy hard cast bullet, a .30-30 and/or 7.62x39 if you use soft points.
Last edited by raptor on Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
brothaman
* * * * *
Posts: 1041
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:40 pm
Location: SC

Re: What do you suggest for hogs

Post by brothaman » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:10 pm

Anything you would hunt deer with would be fine to kill hogs with. What have you got to hunt with?
It stops being funny when it starts being you.

User avatar
Chase The hero
* * * * *
Posts: 1393
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:02 am
Location: College Station, The Empire of Texas

Re: What do you suggest for hogs

Post by Chase The hero » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:18 pm

Image

took down this 280ish lb sow with my WASR-10 and some Remmington 7.62x39 Soft points. After shooting it the sow was DRT. plus having the extra rounds in the mag as backup makes me feel better :lol: I wouldn't hesitate to use anything 5.56 or bigger. Also, lead contamination is not a big deal, we just but out the shredded meat around where the bullet hit.
Kommander wrote:
Hoot Harrington wrote:Kids, pizzas, same thing.
Well they are both tasty
RickOShea wrote: there are only three kinds of snake that I don't like: live ones, dead ones and sticks that look like snakes.

User avatar
crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Posts: 16637
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:37 pm
Location: City of Saint Louis

Re: What do you suggest for hogs

Post by crypto » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:32 pm

5.56 works too.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Image
Image

User avatar
Bender711
* * * *
Posts: 839
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2005 11:00 pm
Location: FL
Contact:

Post by Bender711 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:37 pm

I don't do much hunting so between us almost all the guns are either benchrest guns or tacticool carbines in 5.56. It is mostly for pest control , not that they don't taste delicious with an apple in their mouth roasting over and open fire. If you guys think 5.56 will be big enough, that works. He is looking at a BAR in .308 and I'm looking at a Ruger scout rifle, also in .308. Its pretty heavily wooded so I doubt shots over 100ft will happen much.

nimdabew
* * * * *
Posts: 9346
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:27 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD
I am ledgend
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: What do you suggest for hogs

Post by nimdabew » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:41 pm

I would want a semi-auto, preverably with a big, heavy, fast bullet. A bunch of friends and I were going to go down to Texas a while back to a buddies ranch and do pest control. Entrance fee? An AR-15 and 250 rounds of 77 gangsta SMK's and a smile. It was not unheard of to see herds of 50 hogs. 10 guys with tactical rifles and a few pick up trucks made for good times in the non-growing season.
Thanks Anianna!
Image
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:I say when Wee Drop visits the US, we make her ride a goat. You know, like those little monkey cowboys they have at some rodeos. :lol:

User avatar
raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 17060
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:18 pm
Location: Greater New Orleans Area

Re:

Post by raptor » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:48 pm

Bender711 wrote: He is looking at a BAR in .308 and I'm looking at a Ruger scout rifle, also in .308. Its pretty heavily wooded so I doubt shots over 100ft will happen much.
.308 works fine at that range as does most deer rifles and even some pistols.

nimdabew
* * * * *
Posts: 9346
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:27 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD
I am ledgend
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Re:

Post by nimdabew » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:52 pm

raptor wrote:
Bender711 wrote: He is looking at a BAR in .308 and I'm looking at a Ruger scout rifle, also in .308. Its pretty heavily wooded so I doubt shots over 100ft will happen much.
.308 works fine at that range as does most deer rifles and even some pistols.
I would want semi auto, not bolt action unless it was a Mosin. A 4 foot spear would be nice to have if the hog decides he has had enough of your s*it.
Thanks Anianna!
Image
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:I say when Wee Drop visits the US, we make her ride a goat. You know, like those little monkey cowboys they have at some rodeos. :lol:

User avatar
raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 17060
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:18 pm
Location: Greater New Orleans Area

Re: Re:

Post by raptor » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:01 pm

nimdabew wrote:
raptor wrote:
Bender711 wrote: He is looking at a BAR in .308 and I'm looking at a Ruger scout rifle, also in .308. Its pretty heavily wooded so I doubt shots over 100ft will happen much.
.308 works fine at that range as does most deer rifles and even some pistols.
I would want semi auto, not bolt action unless it was a Mosin. A 4 foot spear would be nice to have if the hog decides he has had enough of your s*it.
Do your job and either aim well or let the target pass. You will do fine with a bolt action if you have a buddy as backup.

User avatar
Chase The hero
* * * * *
Posts: 1393
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:02 am
Location: College Station, The Empire of Texas

Re: Re:

Post by Chase The hero » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:24 pm

raptor wrote:
nimdabew wrote:
raptor wrote:
Bender711 wrote: He is looking at a BAR in .308 and I'm looking at a Ruger scout rifle, also in .308. Its pretty heavily wooded so I doubt shots over 100ft will happen much.
.308 works fine at that range as does most deer rifles and even some pistols.
I would want semi auto, not bolt action unless it was a Mosin. A 4 foot spear would be nice to have if the hog decides he has had enough of your s*it.
Do your job and either aim well or let the target pass. You will do fine with a bolt action if you have a buddy as backup.
I like having a semi because the hogs over where i hunt them roll in packs (herds? flocks?) of up to 20+ pigs. And killing them in bulk is always better than just 1.
Kommander wrote:
Hoot Harrington wrote:Kids, pizzas, same thing.
Well they are both tasty
RickOShea wrote: there are only three kinds of snake that I don't like: live ones, dead ones and sticks that look like snakes.

User avatar
Chase The hero
* * * * *
Posts: 1393
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:02 am
Location: College Station, The Empire of Texas

Re: Re:

Post by Chase The hero » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:25 pm

dupe
Last edited by Chase The hero on Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kommander wrote:
Hoot Harrington wrote:Kids, pizzas, same thing.
Well they are both tasty
RickOShea wrote: there are only three kinds of snake that I don't like: live ones, dead ones and sticks that look like snakes.

nimdabew
* * * * *
Posts: 9346
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:27 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD
I am ledgend
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Re:

Post by nimdabew » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:40 pm

Chase The hero wrote: I like having a semi because the hogs over where i hunt them roll in packs (herds? flocks?) of up to 20+ pigs. And killing them in bulk is always better than just 1.
Yup. They scatter to the wind after the first shot, and if one is unlucky enough to head in your direction while you are working an action and you are on the ground, have three guys loaded for pig to your left and right, or hope you have a big ass bayonet.
Thanks Anianna!
Image
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:I say when Wee Drop visits the US, we make her ride a goat. You know, like those little monkey cowboys they have at some rodeos. :lol:

jrswanson1
* * *
Posts: 665
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:39 pm

Re: What do you suggest for hogs

Post by jrswanson1 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:59 pm

A .223 is fine if you're able to get a shot behind the ear, otherwise any deer round will suffice. Having a magnum handgun on your hip as backup is a good idea.

Jim

User avatar
Towanda
* * * * *
Posts: 3684
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:02 am
Location: Ypsilanti, MI

Re: What do you suggest for hogs

Post by Towanda » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:05 pm

Where's the best place to hit a hog?
Holding a grudge is like swallowing poison and expecting someone else to die.

Image
SMoAF wrote:You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

User avatar
crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Posts: 16637
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:37 pm
Location: City of Saint Louis

Re: What do you suggest for hogs

Post by crypto » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:14 pm

jrswanson1 wrote:A .223 is fine if you're able to get a shot behind the ear, otherwise any deer round will suffice. Having a magnum handgun on your hip as backup is a good idea.

Jim
A 5.56/.223 has about 4x the energy of a magnum handgun round. Why would a .44 mag be better than a rifle round?

5.56 drops whitetails in their tracks.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Image
Image

gun toting monkeyboy
* * * *
Posts: 885
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:53 pm

Re: What do you suggest for hogs

Post by gun toting monkeyboy » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:16 pm

Geez, some of you guys make it sound like they are big, nasty critters out to kill you or something. They normally run like hell. You can take them out with anything, provided you can hit them right. I know several guys in Hawaii that pop them regularly with .22 LRs to the head. Us mere mortals usually perfer something with a bit more power, but you don't need a cannon. They don't have ablative ceramic plates under their skins. Not to say that you can't use whatever uber-magnum turns you on with them. They are pests, and deserve to be blown away at every oppertunity. The last few times I have gone after them I used a .300 Savage model 99, an AR in 6.8, and a knife with dogs and several very buff Hawaiians. The last one was the toughest hunt of my life, but I highly recommend it if you get the chance. At this point I am sticking with the 6.8 simply because my 9 year old daughter can shoot it well, and she tends to come with me lately. Use whatever you have, if you are comfortable with it. And do some research on hog anatomy. There are several very good websites on it online. I prefer hunting over bait, as it involves MUCH less running around. But that is also dictated by the conditions. Spotlighting them from a 4x4 at night can also be a hoot.

As for lead contaminating the meat, don't stress. You may end up with microscopic traces of it around the wound sight, but that is about it. And they are metalic lead, not the more toxic lead salts, so they are, for the most part, insoluble in your digestive tract. If you are really, really worried about it, you can always use lead-free bullets. The Barnes TSX have especially be punching above their weightclass the past few years, and have made the .223 a viable pig-hunting caliber for a lot more ethical hunters. I highly recommend them in just about any caliber.

-Mb

User avatar
Silent Kube
* * * * *
Posts: 2406
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:36 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Most of Romero's work, Shaun Of The Dead, Pretty much anything that keeps the reason for the outbreak somewhat vague.
Location: Rapid City, SD
Contact:

What do you suggest for hogs

Post by Silent Kube » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:20 pm

Towanda wrote:Where's the best place to hit a hog?
pretty much the same as any other animal. The only exception being they do tend to have a thick armor like area of scar tissue on the shoulders from fighting and getting cut up by the other hogs tusks. I'm sure most rounds would penetrate just fine but why make it harder?
If you're going through hell; keep going... ~Winston Churchill

Forgive your enemies. But remember their names.

Non semper erit aestas
Jeriah wrote:I think we're all pretty much just bullshitting here, which is what the Internet is for. Besides porn.

User avatar
nateted4
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 1065
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:08 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Re: Re:

Post by nateted4 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:31 pm

Chase The hero wrote: I like having a semi because the hogs over where i hunt them roll in packs (herds? flocks?) of up to 20+ pigs. And killing them in bulk is always better than just 1.
According to teh googler, a "Sounder" of swine, which should be worked into a Timber's Army chant somehow.
Raptor wrote:Carrying weapons openly and dressing in cammies (even if legal in the area) will get you killed.
Kommander wrote:So now ... we [are] worried that we may be faced with multiple heavily armed and armoured assailants in our day to day life ... I must have accidentally stumbled into the Somalia chapter subform or something.

JFlagg
* * *
Posts: 340
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:30 pm
Location: South County, St. Louis, MO

Re: What do you suggest for hogs

Post by JFlagg » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:35 pm

Hogs are a pest... and in Missouri there isn't a season as they aren't considered a game animal. So in Missouri you can hunt them by any means you wish. So if you have a fun gun to try out, go for it. I'd hunt them with Claymores if I legally could get my hands on some, lol. But I think my 12 guage with buckshot would work well :D
"Watermelons, because they taste so much better than glass bottles when you shoot them with a machine gun"

User avatar
Bender711
* * * *
Posts: 839
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2005 11:00 pm
Location: FL
Contact:

Re: What do you suggest for hogs

Post by Bender711 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:08 pm

JFlagg wrote:Hogs are a pest... and in Missouri there isn't a season as they aren't considered a game animal. So in Missouri you can hunt them by any means you wish. So if you have a fun gun to try out, go for it. I'd hunt them with Claymores if I legally could get my hands on some, lol. But I think my 12 guage with buckshot would work well :D
Ive considered employing tannerite if someone can point me to a large enough sounder. I guess ill just stop worrying about it and bring what I have, if having 42 rounds of 5.56 turns out to not work I'll try something else.

nimdabew
* * * * *
Posts: 9346
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:27 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD
I am ledgend
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: What do you suggest for hogs

Post by nimdabew » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:15 pm

Bender711 wrote: Ive considered employing tannerite if someone can point me to a large enough sounder. I guess ill just stop worrying about it and bring what I have, if having 42 rounds of 5.56 turns out to not work I'll try something else.
Well if we are going explosives... Find something that pigs want to eat, pile a shit ton of it around the tannerite, and learn how to shoot really small groups at 200 yards.
Thanks Anianna!
Image
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:I say when Wee Drop visits the US, we make her ride a goat. You know, like those little monkey cowboys they have at some rodeos. :lol:

User avatar
Chase The hero
* * * * *
Posts: 1393
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:02 am
Location: College Station, The Empire of Texas

Re: What do you suggest for hogs

Post by Chase The hero » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:30 pm

nimdabew wrote:
Bender711 wrote: Ive considered employing tannerite if someone can point me to a large enough sounder. I guess ill just stop worrying about it and bring what I have, if having 42 rounds of 5.56 turns out to not work I'll try something else.
Well if we are going explosives... Find something that pigs want to eat, pile a shit ton of it around the tannerite, and learn how to shoot really small groups at 200 yards.
and get it on video so we can watch this on the internet.
Kommander wrote:
Hoot Harrington wrote:Kids, pizzas, same thing.
Well they are both tasty
RickOShea wrote: there are only three kinds of snake that I don't like: live ones, dead ones and sticks that look like snakes.

Post Reply

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”