Pistol Training Day with Don of Milcopp in SC Jan. 27th

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Re: Pistol Training Day with Don of Milcopp in SC Jan. 27th

Post by Gingerbread Man » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:09 pm

57 Plymouth has officially dropped out. I have an open slot. Who's in?
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

Redeyes
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of The Living Dead 1968

Post by Redeyes » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:32 pm

Regular Guy wrote:57 Plymouth has officially dropped out. I have an open slot. Who's in?
I have the time off, and Doc already has my deposit. Please can I go?

Team Beards&Irons MilCopp 2013

Browning 35 for ZS President 2016. Make Zombie Squad Great Again!

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:45 pm

Redeyes, you in. :D
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|

doc66

Post by doc66 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:51 pm

Good, I already spent his money! LOL. (jk)
http://www.milcopptactical.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Redeyes
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by Redeyes » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:57 pm

doc66 wrote:Good, I already spent his money! LOL. (jk)
Thats ok, if I wasn't able to come to the pistol class I was going to ask if you would repay me in range time with your subgun and 9mm ammo. :D

doc66

Post by doc66 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:36 pm

Redeyes wrote:
doc66 wrote:Good, I already spent his money! LOL. (jk)
Thats ok, if I wasn't able to come to the pistol class I was going to ask if you would repay me in range time with your subgun and 9mm ammo. :D
:D

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:25 pm

Just a reminder for the folks coming, bring your lunch and drinks.
Furthermore, we have to be on our best behavior, we must be super safe, police ourselves and each other. We will be under some scrutiny. I will have a briefing the morning of the course.
Another reminder, this is not a course, this is a informal get together among friends. Doc and Dave are are "volunteering" to give instruction and act as safety officers. I will also be an acting safety officers.
Thanks in advance.

doc66

Post by doc66 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:13 pm

Yeah, the range guy was a D.I.C.K.

Total ass. We weren't even shooting, and he was a dick.

So word of warning. This guy has issues.

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:16 pm

Regular Guy wrote:Just a reminder for the folks coming, bring your lunch and drinks.
Furthermore, we have to be on our best behavior, we must be super safe, police ourselves and each other. We will be under some scrutiny. I will have a briefing the morning of the course.
Another reminder, this is not a course, this is a informal get together among friends. Doc and Dave are are "volunteering" to give instruction and act as safety officers. I will also be an acting safety officers.
Thanks in advance.

We'll all behave. Thanks for keeping this afloat, sounds like it has been a pain in your ass. Thanks again for taking the ammo shipment too RG.
MF'N Team Leader: Cleveland Steamers 2012
Team Beards&Irons 2013

Redeyes
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by Redeyes » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:04 pm

TheLastOne wrote:
Regular Guy wrote:Just a reminder for the folks coming, bring your lunch and drinks.
Thanks in advance.

We'll all behave. Thanks for keeping this afloat, sounds like it has been a pain in your ass. Thanks again for taking the ammo shipment too RG.
Even if we behave this guy that Doc is talking about seems to make up rules as he goes along. I hope he chills out on Friday. I think we owe R.G. some beer.

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:39 pm

No worries, the day will go well. I will be busting this guys balls about safety. I'll have him out there checking courses of fire, I'll have him worn out. Hey, play stupid, I can get real stupid. 8-) REAL STUPID. :lol:

doc66

Post by doc66 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:14 pm

TDW586 is deposited.

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:17 pm

Regular Guy wrote:No worries, the day will go well. I will be busting this guys balls about safety. I'll have him out there checking courses of fire, I'll have him worn out. Hey, play stupid, I can get real stupid. 8-) REAL STUPID. :lol:
No seriously, we just have to be super compliant with the rules, so I'll be reading them to ya'all. I can't find another range to do this at here in SC so I have to keep a good relationship with these folks.

Just FYI, they have changed the rules and we were in violation. I don't think we should have been sent home but that was his call.

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:23 pm

The rules: Please read them.
Range Rules

General Range Rules ( 1 Article )

1) BERMS: ALL BULLETS THAT ARE NOT STOPPED BY A TARGET MUST DIRECTLY HIT & STOP IN THE BERM (DIRT BACKSTOP)! BULLETS MUST *NOT* HIT THE FLAT GROUND. “BULLET” includes any projectile or shot larger than #7½. Always place targets & fire in such a manner that the bullet will not miss the berm or clip the top of the berm. DO NOT fire in such a manner that bullets might ricochet off your target, what's beyond your target, or the ground. DO NOT shoot at targets resting on the flat ground. DO NOT shoot at targets NEAR the flat ground. You MAY shoot at targets sitting on the berm (dirt backstop).

2) SHOT: The only exception to Rule #1 is when shooting SHOT no larger than #7½ in charges of 1 1/8 oz. or less. Shot #7½ or smaller may be shot down range into the air or into the flat ground. This does NOT include GLASER or MAGSAFE type cartridges where the shot is encapsulated in such manner that it is released only upon impact.

3) AERIAL TARGETS (clay pigeons) may be shot, pursuant to rule #2, ONLY on the following ranges:

a) Hathcock Rifle Range

b) General Purpose Bay

4) SIDE BERMS: Side berms may be used as backstops ONLY on the following ranges:

a) Plinking Bay

b) Jeff Cooper Pistol Bays

5) NO ONE MAY SHOOT WHEN IMPAIRED BY ALCOHOL OR MEDICINES TO ANY EXTENT. Alcoholic beverages may not be consumed by anyone before or while participating in any shooting activity.

6) FIREARM SAFETY: Observe THE Four Basic Rules (& #5 too):

1. - Treat all guns as if they are loaded.

2. - Never point a gun at anything you would not want destroyed.

3. - Keep your finger off the trigger till your sights are on the target.

4. - Be sure of your target & what’s behind it.

5. - Be aware (security conscious) of your surroundings & who is there.

7) DOWN RANGE: No one may be down range of the FIRING LINE when any firing is in progress. Down range safety system will be used at all times. Anyone calling cease fire for the purpose of checking targets or any other reason will switch the system to red strobe until everyone is safely back behind the firing line. Only then can the person initiating the cease fire allow the range to go hot (green light) No one will LOAD, HANDLE or FIRE arms while anyone is down range of the FIRING LINE and all guns will be unloaded and cleared.

8) CEASE FIRE: Anyone observing someone downrange, or any other safety problem, when firing is occurring must IMMEDIATELY shout “CEASE FIRE, CEASE FIRE”. Everyone MUST stop firing & make their gun safe whenever they hear the command, “CEASE FIRE”.

9) EYE & EAR protection MUST be worn by ALL shooters & spectators.

10) NO TRACER AMMUNITION. No metallic cartridges larger in case capacity or diameter than the .50 BMG may be used except with permission of Executive committee. This does not include muzzle loading firearms

11) GATE: Leave the gate the way you found it when you enter or leave the range. If the gate is open, but the range is empty, contact the CRO or any Executive Member to let them know. You are responsible for anyone who enters through the gate except other members. Do not open the gate for anyone. All members MUST enter or exit using their own access card or code. Failure to do so will cause an access violation. (IF you don’t swipe your card on an open gate and the gate gets closed you will NOT be able to get out or back in) If you have a guest that needs to enter or exit, first you proceed through the gate, and your guest must proceed immediately behind you. DO NOT allow anyone else to follow you in or out. Do not attempt to force the gate open by hand. You are responsible for any damage you cause to the gate. If the gate is locked in the open position because there is a match or other event in progress you are still REQUIRED to swipe your card or enter your code when entering or leaving the club. Members are prohibited from tampering with the gate, to include disassembly for the purpose of entering or exiting the range. You MUST adhere strictly to the gate procedures.

12) No VEHICLES downrange of the firing line unless authorized by a range officer or match director. You may drive to the Hathcock rifle range target areas as long as you stay on the designated road. Do not exceed a vehicle speed of 15 MPH when driving anywhere on the range.

13) CLUB EQUIPMENT: Members will bring their own approved targets and use designated target stands, or furnish their own. These MUST be completely cleared BEFORE the member leaves. If you do not bring an approved target stand, you are not prepared to shoot. DO NOT search the range for sticks or lumber to hold targets. Cardboard and wood in the shed may be used. Other Club equipment may be used ONLY with the permission of the Match Directors.

14) LITTER: Clean up your area. Remove all targets & stands you setup. Patches, spent cartridge cases, soft drink bottles or cans, and any other trash you brought to the range must be placed in trash receptacles. If you brought it with you – clean it up! If it was there when you got there – clean it up! NOTE: .22 rimfire brass does not need to be picked up, BUT it must be swept off of all concrete pads.

15) TARGETS: You may shoot at paper, cardboard, fruit, vegetable, or clay targets on all ranges except the RIMFIRE bay (See Rule #1). Metal or plastic cans/bottles of one (1) gallon size or smaller & wooden blocks, no more than four (4) inches on a side or smaller may be used at the PLINKING & JEFF COOPER BAYS ONLY. Place these on the berm, or on a target stand that allows rounds to impact the berm. (Plastic barrels are not to be used as target stands.) ALL debris (except clay) MUST be removed. Metal disc or metal silhouette targets must be INDIVIDUALLY pre-approved by the CRO. Steel pistol type targets such those used for the USPSA, IDPA, SASS, and Steel Challenge disciplines such as round discs, square plates, poppers, or silhouettes mounted on an elevated post are to be positioned no more than three (3) yards from the berm. Various Plinking type steel swinging targets are to be placed on the berm or on an appropriate stand. Steel targets must be shot at from at least 12 yards away. In NO case will ANY target be placed in a manner where the bullet will not impact in the berm.

16) TIMES: Members & their guests may shoot any day of the year, from 9 AM until 1 hour after legal sunset or 9 PM, whichever is earlier. NO shooting may occur before or after these times without permission of the executive committee.

17) MEMBERS: The range is for the use of members & their guests only. MCRC membership includes all adults living in one household. ONLY members who have received the RANGE SAFETY BRIEFING may receive and use a gate access card and may bring and supervise guests.

18) IDENTITY: While using the range, all members must possess a valid MCRC membership card & present this to any other member upon demand. All members must display their membership card in an easily visible location while on the range, unless they are participating in a sanctioned match. If any person does not comply with a request to identify themselves, for any reason, please report this immediately to the club President, including the VEHICLE LICENSE TAG, of the person for further investigation. At any time you may be asked to confirm your identity with current photo identification by a member of the executive committee.

19) GUESTS: Members may bring a maximum of 10 guests on weekdays & 4 guests on weekends to use the range. More may be brought only with the specific permission of the Executive Committee. Members are responsible for, & must DIRECTLY supervise, the use of the range by their guests.

20) GOLDEN RULE: Be courteous & considerate of others while using the range.

21) TRAINING CLASSES: Any member using the Mid Carolina Rifle Club facilities for the conduct of firearms training classes (not informally for family or friends) MUST obtain clearance from the club President at least ten days PRIOR to conducting such classes. Such members must provide their own targets & frames.

22) SPECIFIC RANGE RULES for different shooting areas may be adopted by the Executive Committee. Such SPECIFIC RANGE rules will be published in the newsletter & posted on the website & posted on the applicable ranges & will have the same force & effect as these GENERAL RANGE rules. SPECIFIC RANGE rules TAKE PRECEDENCE over these GENERAL RANGE rules.

23) REPORTING VIOLATIONS: ANY MEMBER, observing a violation of ANY range rule MUST:

a) Kindly notify the offender of the violation

b) Report the violation including VEHICLE LICENSE TAG, NAME, or MEMBER IDENTIFICATION NUMBER of offender to a club officer.

24) VIOLATION of ANY range rule may subject offenders to any of the following penalties at the discretion of the club PRESIDENT:

1. Immediate dismissal with no refund of dues paid or credits.

2. Suspension from the club.

Any violation of a range rule will cause the offender to be sent home from the range for the day by a member of the Executive Committee. Further violation will subject offenders to the disciplinary actions noted above.

Any penalty decision of the President may be appealed by any member of the Executive Committee to the DISCIPLINARY COMMITTEE. The Executive Committee is made up of all club officers, match directors, and liaisons. All disciplinary actions will be handled in accordance with the club bylaws.

25) FULL AUTO FIRING (hand held) may only be done in the General Purpose Bay & the Plinking Bay. Full auto firing from a tripod or bipod may be done on the Hathcock Rifle Range.

26) JUNIORS: All children, under the age of 18, must have a permission slip from their parents while shooting at the range.

revision 03182011

General Purpose Bay

1. SIDE BERMS may NOT be shot into.

2. TARGETS must be high enough off the ground to ensure that all rounds will impact the far berm (see General Rule #1). This is HARD to do, so be careful.

3. AERIAL shooting (see General Rule #3) is allowed downrange. Shot must be directed DOWN RANGE & NOT in the direction of the side berms.

4. Targets must be places at least 25 yds from the covered area of the bay.
< Prev Next >

Plinking Bay

1. SIDE BERMS may be shot into.

2. NO AERIAL shooting is allowed.

3. NO Firing from past the side berms. The shooter must have side berms on the 180-degree plane to his left & right. At no time will the shooter fire past the 180-degree plane.

4. DRIVING downrange is allowed.
Plate Machine

1. No rifles or shotguns. This includes .22 rim-fire rifles, & all handgun caliber rifles.

2. No handguns more powerful than 44 magnums.

3. No shooting any closer than 10 yards. The 10-yard line is marked by the second pole, which is marked as such.

4. Eye & ear protection is required by shooters & spectators at all times.

5. NO Firing from past the side berms. The shooter must have side berms on the 180-degree plane to his left & right.

6. NO other targets can be set up or shot at in this bay.

Jeff Cooper Pistol Bays

1. SIDE BERMS may be shot into.

2. NO AERIAL shooting is allowed.

3. NO Firing from past the side berms. The shooter must have side berms on the 180-degree plane to his left & right. The shooter must not fire past 90 degrees to his left or right, facing the rear berm.

4. NO RIFLE CALIBER weapons may be shot in these bays. This includes any rifle or handgun that is chambered for 30 Carbine or greater muzzle energy. This does not include pistol caliber rifles. Shotguns may be shot into the berms. Accepted calibers are: .17M2, .17HMR, .22 Short, .22 Long, .22 Long Rifle, .22 Winchester Magnum Rimfire, .22 Remington Jet, 5.7 x 28 FN, .25 ACP / 6.35 Browning, .25 NAA, .256 Winchester Magnum, .30 Mauser, 7.62 x 25 Tokarev, .32 ACP / 7.65 Browning, .32 NAA, .32 Smith & Wesson, .32 Short Colt, .32 S&W Long / .32 Colt New Police, .32 H&R Magnum, .327 Federal, .32-20 Winchester, 7.65 French Long / 7.65 MAS, 8mm Nambu, .380 Auto (9mm Kurz), 9mm Luger (Parabellum), 9mm Browning Long, 9mm Ultra, 9 x 21, 9 x 23 Winchester, 9 x 23 Largo (Bergmann/Bayard), 9 x 25 Mauser, 9 x 25 Dillon, 9mm FAR, 9mm Winchester Magnum, 9x18 Makarov, .38 Super, .38 Short Colt, .38 Long Colt, .38 S&W / .38 Colt New Police, .38 Special, .357 Auto Mag, .357 Magnum, .357 Sig, .40 Smith & Wesson, .40 Super, .400 Corbon, 10 MM Auto, .38-40 Winchester, .41 Action Express, .41 Remington Magnum, .44-40 Winchester, .44 Auto Mag, .44 Russian, .44 Special, .44 Remington Magnum, .44 S&W American, .45 Schofield, .45 ACP, .45 Auto Rim, .45 GAP, .45 Super, .460 Rowland, .455 Webley Mark II, .455 Webley Mark I, .45 Colt

doc66

Post by doc66 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:23 pm

Should we all copy this?

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:33 pm

doc66 wrote:Should we all copy this?
I can print it out if you want me to? Not sure if serious. :?:

Mister Dark
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Mister Dark » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:43 pm

I have just printed out the rules, and put them in my range bag. No need annoying the executives, yanno?

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:02 pm

Just FYI, we were told to stop shooting because we had targets at the bottom of the berm. I've been doing it that way for years, he never said boo. Anyway, I know how to set up the targets properly and it's not going to be an issue. Doc, Dave and I will make sure ya'all have a great day with excellent instruction from them. I'm just going to get a safety goon.

Redeyes
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by Redeyes » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:10 pm

I guess I will print a copy too. That is way too many to memorize.

Edited to add: Do they change rules often or is it a rare occurrence?

Equuleus

Post by Equuleus » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:18 pm

RG, I noticed on the web page for the range they have specific rules for each range. I haven't looked at them to know if there is a difference but, to cover our bases, do you know which range we will be shooting on?

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:34 pm

Redeyes wrote:I guess I will print a copy too. That is way too many to memorize.

Edited to add: Do they change rules often or is it a rare occurrence?
Rare, this is new to me.

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:35 pm

Equuleus wrote:RG, I noticed on the web page for the range they have specific rules for each range. I haven't looked at them to know if there is a difference but, to cover our bases, do you know which range we will be shooting on?
We'll be using the general purpose, plinking and pistol bays. The rules I posted has the rules for each range. I'll be doing briefings at each range.

Equuleus

Post by Equuleus » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:57 pm

With just over 36 hours to go, I thought I would ask a few last minute questions.

Doc:
Do you prefer cash or check for the remainder of the cost?

RG:
Are we still good for the $5 for targets and stands?

Do we have a meeting place other then the range gate and are we still down for 8am?

Also, I'm gonna PM you both my phone number in case you need to get ahold of me the day of for last minute info. If anyone else wants it, just ask.

I was planning on bringing my camera as I'm taking an intro photography class and need the practice in that also. If anyone has any objections, just let me know. Vetoed due to Milcopp rules.

**Weather update: 66/38 80% chance of rain. Sounds like great weather**
Last edited by Equuleus on Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

doc66

Post by doc66 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:19 pm

Cash is king!

I will take checks as well.

Dave and I both take ammo, rifles, pistols, shelf stable foods, gold, silver, precious gems, spare mags, extra parts for rifles, gasoline, oil, credit cards with the pin number, and nubile young girls.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”