All Purpose Optics and Mounts Thread

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

brothaman

Re: All Purpose Optics and Mounts Thread

Post by brothaman » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:28 am

Just a note for those looking for Ultralight optics. Burris' 2-7 scopes are 12oz. The Weaver Classic V 2-7x32 is 9.75 oz. and $190 Leupold's Ultralight 2-7x28 is 8.5oz and $329. (swfa prices) For those building an Ultralight hunter on a budget, the Weaver may be the perfect compromise.
It stops being funny when it starts being you.

LJ126
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (both), Shaun of the Dead, Wild Zero, 28 Days/Weeks, The Crazies, The Reanimator, etc. I love 'em all!

Post by LJ126 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:32 pm

I recently purchased a Vortex StrikeFire II, the "bright red" model, Vortex SKU: SF-BR-503. It's a pretty nice red dot. It's BRIGHT, like unnecessarily bright: the medium setting is way more than is necessary. When the brightness level goes to max, the dot becomes more of an 8-pointed star, which doesn't bother me because I've got pretty good vision... maybe it will bother you. Unlike the older generation has purportedly had, the provided lens caps aren't troublesome in the least.

Anywho, I don't know about its long-term durability but it seems very well constructed. If the RECOIL magazine review of the SPARC is any indication of the durability of the StrikeFire, this thing is tougher than a well-sewn burlap bag filled with hammers. Either way, I've still got good irons on there.

(As an aside, my tritium front sight post is confusing with the red dot in low light, but I'm sure I can get used to that.)
...As the great warrior poet O'Shea "Ice Cube" Jackson, Sr. once said, "If the day does not require an AK, it is good."

Roch

Post by Roch » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:31 pm

I ended up getting a DNZ GameReaper mount, and couldn't be more pleased. I think most of my future firearms will have DNZ one piece rails on them.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
Roch wrote:Is there a big difference between the weaver rail (12 bucks) vs the EGW made picatinny rail ($50)

Big difference between 2,4 and 6 screw scope rings?

Trying to figure out what to use to mount a Vortex Crossfire II in 4-12x44mm on a Savage Axis in 30-06 wearing a Boyd's thumbhole stock.
EGW machining is better. Both will likely work, but I'd get the EGW. The number of screws on rings matters far less than the manufacturer. Warne would be my go-to, or EGW if there's a decent price on them.

Although with the crossfire, a set of Burris rings and the weaver would probably work.

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:16 pm

kbilly84 wrote:Help me ZS. I'm completely scope-illiterate.

Decided to put a scope on my Remington 597 .22. Got a Weaver base and Leupold medium rings. My dad had an older Weaver Grand Slam sitting around he insisted I take. Free scope.... :clap:

Except I now have 2 problems.

1. On the lower powers, I see barrel and front sight in view.
2. The crosshairs are blurry. even using the focus thing on the eye piece doesn't clear them up fully. Thought it might be my eyes, but a POS tasco looks totally clear.

Thoughts? Am I doing it wrong?
Quick note, aside from anything else: The aluminum (I believe) on the top of the 597 receiver is incredibly thin. Whack the scope just a little too hard and you'll strip your screws clean out (ask me how I know.) If you have a mount that sits on top I'd advise replacing it with one of these: http://www.diproductsinc.com/Detail.aspx?Prod=187038 I have one on my 597 LSHB, and it's shot sub MOA groups with that group and a Bushnell Banner. It still mounts to the receiver but this particular mount helps displace the strain from any impacts to the larger surface area of the rails.

Grand Slams have side focus knobs or rear focus rings as options right? My understanding is that some models have dual adjustment rings on the back - one large around the rear of the scope, one small and inset to the other. Are you adjusting both if this is the case?

How much barrel is visible? Does your Weaver base have a built in elevation? Worse comes to worst, the front sights on 597's are removable.
goofygurl wrote:Dogan – In charge of all things fucked up
Are you ready to die, John Walker?| CLAPTRAP!
Your lucky number has been disconnected.|ASCII biohazard symbol: ☣
Winner of the May/June 2013 ZS Postal Match

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:59 pm

Anyone have hands on with a Vortex Spitfire? The Local Cabela's has the 1x at a reasonable price this week (for the AO) and it seems to meet a lot of my ideal criteria.
BullOnParade

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Urban BOB/Range (& Bailout) Bag/EDC/Vehicle Kit

cblazew

Post by cblazew » Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:38 am

Anybody know of a green dot scope that's side mount? Would like to have magnified scope on top and dot on side. Is this possible or do I have to have a swing magnifier? What distance are the magnifiers good for?

ManInBlack316
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ManInBlack316 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:25 pm

So I'm switching from a red dot to a scope, mostly to try something new and see what it offers me.
Anything really different from shooting a red dot besides the eye relief situation that I should be aware of?
Scope in question is a PrimaryArms 1-4x illuminated on their deluxe extended mount, on my PSA 16" midlength.
Reason mostly for the switch is that my PrimaryArms AA red dot had an issue with the power switch and had to be sent in, they couldn't fix it so they refunded the full purchase price and gave me 20% off whatever I chose to replace it. So for $30 with shipping I got a new scope with mount, figured it might be a good idea to try a scope since there's wide open areas I might be shooting in and I'd like to see what I am hitting.

Edit: My shooting experience is pretty much all iron sites or red dots, had a cheapo scope on a bb gun when I was a kid and that was pretty much it.

Edit take two: Got the scope centered and mounted, sorry for the crappy self phone pic and not sure why my stock looks a little green to me

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”