All Purpose Optics and Mounts Thread

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

All Purpose Optics and Mounts Thread

Post by Gingerbread Man » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:53 pm

All purpose optics and mounts thread. The ZS one source for all things optics and mounts. Post your questions, answers, and reviews.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

SeerSavant
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
28 Days Later
Serenity/Firefly (Reavers, man!)

Re: All Purpose Optics and Mounts Thread

Post by SeerSavant » Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:31 pm

Okay, here's one... What's the best recommended optic mount for a Mosin Nagant, I don't want to tap and mount a sniper type, but would love a scout mount for it, where a rail replaces the rear sight...

Is there a decent manufacturer or does the rear sight not give enough stability for keeping an optic zeroed.

Or is the side mount/getting a bent bolt, the better way...

NonExistence

Post by NonExistence » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:43 am

I'm wanting to find an illuminated scope with adjustable power (I like the idea of 2.5-10) that has a reticle bright enough to be seen in the day consistently. I was going to get a nice red dot, but trying a 4x scope helps with the fact my vision sucks and helps me get past my left eye dominance by basically making my weak eye "see" better than the strong one. I like Illumination due to quick acquisition,

I like the idea of the ACOG, but I have heard the tritium will fade with age, and would no longer be useful after 10-15 years. Maybe not the best reason to not want a scope, but I would much rather exchange several batteries than have something slowly wear down as the half lives of the tritium go on with time.

Also, currently not too hip on the idea of an ACOG price tag. I don't plan on this optic, or this rifle, being the ones I would have to depend on to fight for my life with, so something in the low hundreds would be ideal, but I would be more inclined to spend more on an opic if it will fit my needs better.

Not totally against an ACOG, if it truly fits my needs best. I would just prefer something battery powered, and would like to avoid the cost of an ACOG.

Skull_Hide
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fight O

Post by Skull_Hide » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:53 am

SeerSavant wrote:Okay, here's one... What's the best recommended optic mount for a Mosin Nagant, I don't want to tap and mount a sniper type, but would love a scout mount for it, where a rail replaces the rear sight...

Is there a decent manufacturer or does the rear sight not give enough stability for keeping an optic zeroed.

What model do you have? Remove the rear sight base and use the 3/8" groves, 3/8" to 1" weaver adapter. I think all but M44's work, but I'm not sure.
My Silnylon Alice pack DIY w/ 1606AF frame Hellcat
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 14&t=81955" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sig 1911-22LR pistol
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 10&t=82581" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If my post contains a misplaced/ random word = auto spell is a bitch.

Skull_Hide
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fight O

Post by Skull_Hide » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:00 am

I have a question, anyone have any experience with the Bushnell Elite 3200 Tactical 10x? I want to use one as a entry level distance scope for a Stephen 200. $300 and lower only.
My Silnylon Alice pack DIY w/ 1606AF frame Hellcat
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 14&t=81955" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sig 1911-22LR pistol
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 10&t=82581" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If my post contains a misplaced/ random word = auto spell is a bitch.

Kutter_0311
Favorite Zombie Movies: too many to get into...

Post by Kutter_0311 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:39 am

ACOG's are retarded expensive, but there are deals to be found. I got my A4-RCO for about $1000 instead of the usual $1400. IIRC, Trijicon will refurbish your optic if the tritium gets dim, for a moderate fee. Since the tritium isn't what illuminates the reticle in daylight, it doesn't have to be dazzlingly brilliant, just bright enough to see at night. The fiber optic pickup illuminates the reticle using ambient light, which self-regulates the brightness. In extremely bright conditions, tape is put over the pickup to keep the reticle from being too bright.

As far as the Mosin goes, I'd email the guys at Ultimak and ask if they plan on filling that need.

They make mounts for all the other platforms.
JAYNE COBB wrote: Well, what you plan and what takes place ain't ever exactly been similar.
TravisM.1 wrote:If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.
minengr wrote:I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

SeerSavant
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
28 Days Later
Serenity/Firefly (Reavers, man!)

Post by SeerSavant » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:39 pm

Skull_Hide wrote:
SeerSavant wrote:Okay, here's one... What's the best recommended optic mount for a Mosin Nagant, I don't want to tap and mount a sniper type, but would love a scout mount for it, where a rail replaces the rear sight...

What model do you have? Remove the rear sight base and use the 3/8" groves, 3/8" to 1" weaver adapter. I think all but M44's work, but I'm not sure.

I've got a 91/30... I've seen a few for sale, but they tend to look on the cheap side, any good places to buy?

Ultimak, huh.... didn't think of that... Gonna go there and check...

NonExistence

Post by NonExistence » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:20 am

The ACOG sounds better knowing that it can have the tritium recharged, and I didn't know they used fiberoptic to glow during the day, Good info. The cost is pretty prohibitive though, and I would like to see if there is a better option for my budget. I'm sure the ACOG is worth the money, but I would rather get new guns before spending that kind of money on anything in my stable now.

I was thinking something like this as an option:

Burris Fullfield TAC30
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... TabReviews" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I like the price tag, people seem to think the dot is easily visible during the day, and the battery operation is nice, but the only thing I am not sold on is the magnification. I would like something more like a 2.5x10 to help with the horrible vision in my right eye.

Kutter_0311

Post by Kutter_0311 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:54 am

The reviews on that Burris sure sound promising! For that price, I'd like to get one just to have a sip of the cool-aide!

Not all ACOG's are dual-illuminated, and I honestly can't justify the expense of the one I have right now. I may end up selling mine to fund the Ultimak/Aimpoint Micro upgrade for my SGL21's.
JAYNE COBB wrote: Well, what you plan and what takes place ain't ever exactly been similar.
minengr wrote:I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

nimdabew
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD
I am ledgend

Post by nimdabew » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:16 am

I like my ACOG. It is a do-all optic in my opinion. I will always have an ACOG on at least one rifle.

For an only optic though, get a red dot. I like EOTechs now, Aimpoints are great too. Don't skimp and you should be good.

My next optic will be a mid-long range optic. Hoping to get a NF/Burris/Leupy 2.5-10x40ish to put on top of my SPR. Then I will have a 14.5" and an 18" rifle and nothing else. Then, I have to get working on rolling my own ammo so I can afford to shoot more often.
Thanks Anianna!
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:I say when Wee Drop visits the US, we make her ride a goat. You know, like those little monkey cowboys they have at some rodeos. :lol:

hatchtrikk
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, 28 weeks later, dawn of the dead, land of the dead, diary of the dead and many more...

Post by hatchtrikk » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:46 pm

Tagged for info 8-)

Planning on a magnified optic soon. Thinking of ACOG/NF/TR24. Not sure yet.
My Draco SBR: http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 09&t=79016" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Belt fed always wins. -GD4

I am serious...and stop calling me Shirley. -Agent Smith

Kutter_0311

Post by Kutter_0311 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:21 pm

I like my ACOG, a lot, but the only platform for it is my son's Sig 556.

Maybe one day I'll get one of the 7.62x39 ACOG's, but I'd need a TWS Dog Leg mount first.

GP100Wii

Post by GP100Wii » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:23 am

Any recommendations for rings and a scope to put on a cantilever scope mount on a Henry Big Boy 357?

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:48 am

NonExistence wrote:I'm wanting to find an illuminated scope with adjustable power (I like the idea of 2.5-10) that has a reticle bright enough to be seen in the day consistently. I was going to get a nice red dot, but trying a 4x scope helps with the fact my vision sucks and helps me get past my left eye dominance by basically making my weak eye "see" better than the strong one. I like Illumination due to quick acquisition,

I like the idea of the ACOG, but I have heard the tritium will fade with age, and would no longer be useful after 10-15 years. Maybe not the best reason to not want a scope, but I would much rather exchange several batteries than have something slowly wear down as the half lives of the tritium go on with time.

Also, currently not too hip on the idea of an ACOG price tag. I don't plan on this optic, or this rifle, being the ones I would have to depend on to fight for my life with, so something in the low hundreds would be ideal, but I would be more inclined to spend more on an opic if it will fit my needs better.

Not totally against an ACOG, if it truly fits my needs best. I would just prefer something battery powered, and would like to avoid the cost of an ACOG.
Look into the new VX-R series from leupold. A 3x9 is around $500-600. Lifetime warrenty as well.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:49 am

Skull_Hide wrote:I have a question, anyone have any experience with the Bushnell Elite 3200 Tactical 10x? I want to use one as a entry level distance scope for a Stephen 200. $300 and lower only.
Look into the SWFA 10X Super sniper. $299 and a lifetime warrenty.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:09 pm

hatchtrikk wrote:Tagged for info 8-)

Planning on a magnified optic soon. Thinking of ACOG/NF/TR24. Not sure yet.
I bought a SWFA SS 1-4x24 HD the other day for my M1A Scout. I haven't tried it yet, still waiting on a new stock I ordered to come in first. But I looked at atleast a dozen other 1x4s before I settled on the SWFA.

Here's a link to a review of the optic:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthr ... ost2381355
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

NonExistence

Post by NonExistence » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:26 am

I'm liking the looks of the Leupold, and am a bit more comfortable with the price vs an ACOG. Have you personally worked with it? The only thing that concerns me at this point is the brightness in the day. The definitely have enough magnification options to suit me.

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:46 am

NonExistence wrote:I'm liking the looks of the Leupold, and am a bit more comfortable with the price vs an ACOG. Have you personally worked with it? The only thing that concerns me at this point is the brightness in the day. The definitely have enough magnification options to suit me.
I own a VX-R 1.25x4 and I have no issues in full daylight. There are 8 levels of brightness. The brightest level is like an Aimpoint on full brightness.

tjsjr
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil series, Dawn of the Dead (new edition, i know its corney)

Post by tjsjr » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:48 am

Heres a "general" question.

EDIT: 223/5.56
Would a 14.5" 1/7 chrome AR barrel be able to take advantage of a scope with more than......say......10X? Ammo and shooter do not matter. Just asking if the big scopes are out of the range of the barrel. If that makes sense.

Example. 4-16x44 and bigger.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:40 am

tjsjr wrote:Heres a "general" question.

Would a 14.5" 1/7 chrome AR barrel be able to take advantage of a scope with more than......say......10X? Ammo and shooter do not matter. Just asking if the big scopes are out of the range of the barrel. If that makes sense.

A short barrel can be accurate because it tends to be more rigid than a longer one.

Now shortening my Remington 700's barrel from 26" to 16" did cause a loss in velocity which translated into more bullet drop. But other than that it still shoots tight groups.
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

jamoni
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by jamoni » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:47 am

tjsjr wrote:Heres a "general" question.

For target shooting, sure. For serious use, I think the velocity loss would equate to poor terminal ballistics at extended range. In other words, you could hit a target, but not do as much damage as you'd want. Personally, I'd go with a good red dot and a flip out magnifier.
JoergS wrote:Realistically, I think I can launch a nine pound chain saw at 50 fps from a shoulder mounted rubber powered bazooka...
squinty wrote:I reserve the right to yell "Dookyhole!" - or it's Hebrew equivalent if such a thing exists - whilst dispensing a barrage of palm strikes at my opponent.

tjsjr
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil series, Dawn of the Dead (new edition, i know its corney)

Post by tjsjr » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:59 am

jamoni wrote: For target shooting, sure. For serious use, I think the velocity loss would equate to poor terminal ballistics at extended range. In other words, you could hit a target, but not do as much damage as you'd want. Personally, I'd go with a good red dot and a flip out magnifier.
What about the, 2-7(8)X3* styles, thats what Ive been leaning towards, 100yds on 4x doesnt do anything for me so Ive kinda been staying away from 1-4x and or RDS and mags.
Looking at these:
http://swfa.com/Redfield-2-7x33-Revolut ... 47561.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://swfa.com/Vortex-2-7x32-Viper-Rif ... 11227.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; plus this
http://swfa.com/Burris-AR-PEPR-1-Scope- ... 12624.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

WY_Not

Post by WY_Not » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:38 pm

Since the Burris scope was mentioned above, thougth I'd post my setup. It doesn't use the TAC30 mentioned but it works and doesn't break the bank.

Current setup on my 20" flattop AR is:
Warne MAXIMA AR15 Flat Top Aluminum - 1”
Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40
Butler Creek Flip-Open Scope Caps (Front and Back)
SunGuard killFlash ARD
Scopecoat Neoprene Scope Cover (Heavy one, for use when AR is in a softside case and travelling)
Troy BattleSight Rear Folding (http://troyind.com/%20/battlesights/tro ... ar-folding" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

Not super expensive but gets the job done on an AR. Scope is zeroed for 100yrds. Irons are zeroed for 25m BSZ.

The Warne rings are QD so I can take the scope off and put it back on and POA/POI will be close enough that I don't have to worry about rezeroing if I don't want to. I Might go to a one piece ring/mount one day that pushes the scope forward a bit more but for now I like the two-piece because I can space them to allow a brass deflector to fit between them and attach to the flattop. Brass deflector makes for very happy shooting buddies on the line. Puts the brass on the mat in front of me rather than down my neighbors' shirts. :mrgreen:

Red_Snow
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead (Who can't enjoy the zombie fish?)

Post by Red_Snow » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:44 pm

My search-fu is weak today, have been looking for information on the ACOG RCO's. Would the M4 or the A4 be a better ballistic match to my 16"? IIRC from reading on this and various other forums, the M4 (14.5") would be the best match since that extra 1.5" of barrel really doesn't change my velocities enough to matter once the reticle is verified at the correct ranges.

Am I on the right track?
Our world is on the verge of a temporal displacement, and it will be humanity that falls victim to the repercussions. The few humans remaining desperately search for answers to their infinitesimal existence.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”