History Channel's Tales of the Gun

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

I_Hate_George_Lucas
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland and 28 Weeks Later

History Channel's Tales of the Gun

Post by I_Hate_George_Lucas » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:03 am

I picked up the History Channel's Tales of the Gun collection on DVD. All thirty three episodes for $59.00. I remember watching these episodes as a young fourteen year old with my father in the living room. We especially loved the S&W episode and the episode on Police Guns. My father of course being a cop and a S&W fan. Also I swear that Discovery Channel aired those episodes first. I know I didn't have the History Channel as a kid.

Thirteen years and now I'm a 27 year old cop and Army Vet. Yet I can still watch these episodes as wide eyed as I did back then. What is kinda funny is in some issues they talk about what guns might be like in 2010. The cops that they talk to think that we'd have phasers and computerized targeting systems. Some of which has been fielded by now (Army's new Grenade Launcher comes to mind). But the majority of it is still the same as when these episodes were filmed.

All in all, even though the series is a little outdated and was filmed in the height of the AWB. It's pretty damn entertaining and informative. Oh.... the majority of cops and talking heads interviewed show their disdain of an armed civilian populace.
PistolPete wrote:ROFL LOOK AT THIS VIDEO OF A MONKEY FUCKING A DUCK!!!!!!!
Warning: If subject is found in a happy state. Punch in throat until subject returns to a non cheerful demeanor.

mough

Re: History Channel's Tales of the Gun

Post by mough » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:14 am

I FUCKING LOVED that show. This history channel has gone way down hill, seriously how do they call shows about crab fishing and ice road trucking history?

demonwolf444
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: shaun of the dead

Post by demonwolf444 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:59 am

Watching Yesterday ( the UK's free history channel ) and after a program on the SAS, a cooking program came on.. i feel your pain.
12G Winchester Supergrade 101 O/U - SGC
.22 BSA Mercury springer + 3 - 9 x 50 ( 10 ft/lbs)
.22 Norica 60-c springer + 3 - 9 x 40 (11.5 ft/lbs)
.177 SMK XS15 springer + 4 x 32 ( 8 ft/lbs)
.177 Gamo P23 Pistol CO2 + iron sights ( 4 ft/lbs )

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:01 am

mough wrote:I FUCKING LOVED that show. This history channel has gone way down hill, seriously how do they call shows about crab fishing and ice road trucking history?
They play to the crowd their advertisers cater to. History Channel was never really all that good IMO, back in the day it was, 'Hitler 24x7!!!' and then 'UFO's!!!'.
Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.
Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

Liff

Post by Liff » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:10 am

http://www.southparkstudios.com/full-ep ... or-ratings" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Can't fault the channel for looking for ratings, otherwise they may be castrated. (19:58 in the episode.)

back on topic, that series was cool. I liked it too.

Kommander

Post by Kommander » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:03 am

Dave_M wrote:
mough wrote:I FUCKING LOVED that show. This history channel has gone way down hill, seriously how do they call shows about crab fishing and ice road trucking history?
They play to the crowd their advertisers cater to. History Channel was never really all that good IMO, back in the day it was, 'Hitler 24x7!!!' and then 'UFO's!!!'.
The Hitler chanel was AWESOME! Other kids went home from school and watched cartoons. I watched Victory at Sea.
Why must all the hoops be on fire?

Hoppy
Favorite Zombie Movies: all of them. except Diary of The Dead.

Post by Hoppy » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:52 pm

iv seen all of the TOTG series
my buddy and i used to watch em at his place cause he had fancy cable :lol: where we got like 30 channels

they show up on History International from time to time. The military channel is the new old history channel.
still plenty of hitler, but more other stuff too.

i agree TV has gone WAY down hill. lets compare "wings of the Luftwaffe" to "future weapons"

one can show you actual footage of a one off built Me109
the other didnt get the message the XM8 was cancelled 6 or 7 years ago as a failure and the AA12 is hardly "future" it is infact Vietnam era tech :lol:
No one has a sense for the dramatic.

I_Hate_George_Lucas
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland and 28 Weeks Later

Post by I_Hate_George_Lucas » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:42 am

Kommander wrote:
Dave_M wrote:
The Hitler chanel was AWESOME! Other kids went home from school and watched cartoons. I watched Victory at Sea.
It was the "Wings" series and all of it's spin offs. Wings of the Luftwaffe, Wings of the Pacific, etc... Great episode was one about German Flying Boats. Still remember that one too this date.
PistolPete wrote:ROFL LOOK AT THIS VIDEO OF A MONKEY FUCKING A DUCK!!!!!!!
Warning: If subject is found in a happy state. Punch in throat until subject returns to a non cheerful demeanor.

Hoppy
Favorite Zombie Movies: all of them. except Diary of The Dead.

Post by Hoppy » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:57 pm

I_Hate_George_Lucas wrote:
Kommander wrote:
Dave_M wrote:
It was the "Wings" series and all of it's spin offs. Wings of the Luftwaffe, Wings of the Pacific, etc... Great episode was one about German Flying Boats. Still remember that one too this date.

i remember that too, one of the ( iirc) Dorniers was so well packed i have no doubt a downed crew coulda lived for weeks at sea, comfortably :lol:
No one has a sense for the dramatic.

pyratemime

Post by pyratemime » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:40 pm

I love this show. Asked my wife for the S&W episode and then after getting it realized that at 3x the price I could have have 40x the episodes, still kicking myself for that. Another great show was Wild West Tech. I really want to get that one for my father-in-law but know to well that if it makes it to my house he is never getting it. Oh yeah, and Mail Call.

"It wouldn't hurt you people to think like a serial killer every now and again. You know just for the sake of prevention!" - Foamy the Squirrel
DaJoker wrote:In regards to us "normal" humans... well that's why its best to follow pyratemime's advice.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”