Remington 870 bayonet lug

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Remington 870 bayonet lug

Post by Jeriah » Fri Nov 25, 2005 12:20 am

Anybody have any idea where to get one? I know they exist; the military 870s the Marines used had them. But I've never seen them offered for sale. Reason is, I love my Remmy, it's a great set-up, top folding stock, 20" barrel, great gun. I don't want to go any buy a Mossberg 590 just for the bayonet lug. BUT, it'd really like to have the option of a bayonet, for PAW hunting of dangerous game, like pigs. Just as a last resort, having the end of my gun be sharp might come in handy. Also, I suppose, for CQB. I realize it won't come in handy THAT often (which is why I don't want to buy a whole new gun for the purpose) but it'd be nice to have the option.

ghostface

Post by ghostface » Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:07 am

:shock:

I have an 18" barrel. Anything I get close enough to stab will surely stab me in response. That being said, I'd love to see an 870 with a pigsticker on it.
The tools of conquest do not necessarily come with bombs and explosions and fallout. There are weapons that are simply thoughts, attitudes, prejudices, to be found only in the minds of men. For the record, prejudices can kill and suspicion can destroy, and a thoughtless, frightened search for a scapegoat has a fallout all its own...

jor-el

Post by jor-el » Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:44 am

My guess would be finding one of those AR15 bayonet adaptors and ream it out to fit the shottie's barrel. Then attach a muzzle tube to make the 22mm OD you need to fit the bayonet ring.

All else fails, buy a Mossberg 590 with GI barrel.
My son, you will travel far, but never be alone, for I am with you, my M14 and battle axe comfort you.

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Fri Nov 25, 2005 12:14 pm

jor-el wrote:My guess would be finding one of those AR15 bayonet adaptors and ream it out to fit the shottie's barrel. Then attach a muzzle tube to make the 22mm OD you need to fit the bayonet ring.

All else fails, buy a Mossberg 590 with GI barrel.
That's not a bad idea, although it sounds like a lot of work, and I'm not 100% confident of my skills to make it a solid product. Last thing I want is my bayonet mount to snap off when it's all that's keeping a big-ass wild pig from goring me. (Unlikely, but better safe than sorry.) Thanks for the suggestions, though, I'll keep it in mind.

sharps54

Post by sharps54 » Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:44 pm

If I were going to mount a bayonet on a shotgun I would go with something a little more traditional, like the socket bayonet I have for my Martini-Henry! I have considered trying to rig up something with a Brown Bess socket bayonet but never got around to it. I would love to find a socket bayonet for my AR come to think of it. :D
As for practical use I think a big knife or maybe even a sabre would be more useful, I have read a number of accounts of how soldiers that actually fought hand to hand prefered to use the bayonets off the rifles, as swords, or more often in modern times using e-tools instead. Modern rifles and shotguns aren't made to handle the stresses of bayonet fighting like the Brown Bess was.

jptp0831

Post by jptp0831 » Fri Nov 25, 2005 9:24 pm

Back in the day I carried a Mossberg 590. Some of the guys were issued the 870. Now as a civilian I have a 870. Have you ever gone through a bayonet course? It's hard enough with a M-16. A shotgun is unwieldy enough. Then add a bayonet?
The USMC uses the shotgun for a few purposes breaching, Shipboard CQB, jungle warfare and law enforcement. All are part of a team. The weapons complement each other. They each have a purpose. In the better part of a decade I never used a shotgun mounted bayonet for anything other than keeping my weapon out of the mud.
I'd still buy one if anyone knows where to get one. Just cause I never needed one before does not mean it's stupid.
ZS Fleet ZS0017 & ZS0024
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Wesson357

Post by Wesson357 » Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:42 pm

Here is a shotgun with a bayonet I have always found interesting

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Jeriah » Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:13 pm

Wesson357 wrote:Here is a shotgun with a bayonet I have always found interesting

"Interesting" is indeed the word...very interesting. My first impression is of a shotgun trying very, very hard to be an M4. I wonder when this fad of sticking an M4-type 6-position telescoping stock on every gun out there will end...I can't wait 'til I see ATI offer a tele-stock for the Mosin-Nagant...

And those sights? I've never used a holographic sight, but I've played with them at gun shows, and while they seem effective...on a shotgun? I'm skeptical.

Nevertheless, very interesting. Thanks for the photo.

ais

Post by ais » Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:34 pm

Jeriah wrote:
Wesson357 wrote:Here is a shotgun with a bayonet I have always found interesting

"Interesting" is indeed the word...very interesting. My first impression is of a shotgun trying very, very hard to be an M4. I wonder when this fad of sticking an M4-type 6-position telescoping stock on every gun out there will end...I can't wait 'til I see ATI offer a tele-stock for the Mosin-Nagant...

And those sights? I've never used a holographic sight, but I've played with them at gun shows, and while they seem effective...on a shotgun? I'm skeptical.

Nevertheless, very interesting. Thanks for the photo.
By design a red-dot sight would increase the effectiveness of a shotgun. The whole idea of a red dot sight is to allow for quick target aquisition; instead of having to align two points aloung the barrel and/or reciever, you simply align one point with your target, bringing your reaction time/accuracy ratio much closer together.

Bald Chihuahua

Post by Bald Chihuahua » Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:40 pm

This shotgun is obviously a poser... First it hangs out with the M4, then it starts to do what the M4 does, and sooner or later it becomes the M4 but its like a fake.

timm667

Post by timm667 » Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:51 am

heres an 870 i just picked up.
never seen this type of bayonet shotgun mount before.

timm667
http://www.rchelispot.com

http://www.gunslive.com/register.php?ref=timm667

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it i empty.

aswrg7

Post by aswrg7 » Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:11 am

You could go to a machine shop and have the bayonet lug made.

thorian

Post by thorian » Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:23 am

That looks like a ww1 vintage trench sweeper action, barrel, and bayonet with a new heat shield stock and pump. ( I have only seen that kind of mount in ww1 armement books)

Possiby some mall commando ruined a C&R to make that. ( that would be the only gripe I have)

However if it is a newer production then :D You should be able to find out when it was made by the serial # I for one am interested on the year of manufacture
VOL FF 1 & 2, EMT-B, Hazmat Ops, Vehicle Extrication Technician, High angle rescue technician, and that is just the hobby...

Gunny

Post by Gunny » Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:32 pm

If I hear of anyone from ZS putting a knife on the end of their shotgun, I'll pay Grifter $5 to pistol whip you.

will
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by will » Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:40 pm

my mossy has one and, yes, i have shot trap with it on.

ill put on a helmet next time i see Grifter...
Truth is what stands the test of experience.
-Albert Einstein

Only 2 People Can Say They Went To Every Z-Con And Wintergheddon Ever, I'm One Of Them!!

Gunny

Post by Gunny » Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:48 pm

Damnit, that's $10 so far, I'll be broke before too long.

Will, I love you man but watching you and Kyle shoot that thing at trap was beautiful.

The day went something like this:

Kyle: "Hey, what's this button for?"

Will: "That? Oh, that's just a laser range finder."

Kyle: (pointing) "And that?"

Will: "Well Kyle, that's where we launch our small tactical nuclear missiles from."

Kyle: "OMGWTFPOLARBEARS!1! And what's this?"

Will: "That's the trigger"

Michelle: (knitting) "Dumbass"

will
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by will » Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:52 pm

:D

you forgot about the "mace launcher" and the tiny dog house on the front pistol grip for my bloodhounds.

the range lady sort of rolled her eyes when i pulled my shotgun out...
Truth is what stands the test of experience.
-Albert Einstein

Only 2 People Can Say They Went To Every Z-Con And Wintergheddon Ever, I'm One Of Them!!

Gunny

Post by Gunny » Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:09 pm

Hah, she did the same when I told her why she didn't have to explain how to shoot trap to me.

zombievt

Post by zombievt » Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:30 pm

timm667 wrote:heres an 870 i just picked up.

That looks like the heat sheild and bayonet lug off a Winchester 97.

There are reproductions of the sheild floating around and Norinco is importing repo 97's but I don't know if they're available in the US.

38PlusP

bayonet

Post by 38PlusP » Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:37 pm

What does not kill me,will make me stronger

Rus

Re: bayonet

Post by Rus » Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:54 pm

38PlusP wrote:Try this...

www.soopergenius.com
Nice street sweaper
http://www.soopergenius.com/street_sweeper.htm
:lol:

tommygun

Post by tommygun » Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:41 pm

I'd rather use a Mossburg 8)
Behold a pale horse, and the name of him who sat upon it was Death, and Hell followed with him.

theomegaman.org

Gunny

Post by Gunny » Fri Dec 23, 2005 12:16 am

I'd rather use a Mossburg
You've gotta learn to speel it right first :P

thorian

Post by thorian » Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:38 am

zombievt wrote:
timm667 wrote:heres an 870 i just picked up.

That looks like the heat sheild and bayonet lug off a Winchester 97.

There are reproductions of the sheild floating around and Norinco is importing repo 97's but I don't know if they're available in the US.

And that is why Im thinking ww1 a repro ogf the model 12 maby ?

click here to see the winnie model 12
VOL FF 1 & 2, EMT-B, Hazmat Ops, Vehicle Extrication Technician, High angle rescue technician, and that is just the hobby...

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”