Direct comparison of the effects of different calibers

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

NapTime

Direct comparison of the effects of different calibers

Post by NapTime » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:29 am

I tried to sum this video up as succinctly as I could in the title. It's a Russian guy shooting one gallon jugs of water with 9mm, .38 special, .357 magnum, .44 magnum, and 12 guage buckshot. Point blank. maybe only interesting to a complete newbie like me, but I thought it was informative, and if you have 6 minutes, I'd recommend giving it a watch-through.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8O_bHR3BmTY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

To the people who know more about this than I do, is this a meaningful demonstration, or is it pretty useless unless you're defending yourself against milk? Does anyone else have other good layman's comparisons of caliber differences?

Kutter_0311
Favorite Zombie Movies: too many to get into...

Re: Direct comparison of the effects of different calibers

Post by Kutter_0311 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:51 am

Thread: FBI Study on handgun ballistics (Good read)

While weapon caliber certainly has it's effect, shot placement has more effect.

Don't take that to mean I encourage defensive use of a pistol cartridge that doesn't start with ".4"
JAYNE COBB wrote: Well, what you plan and what takes place ain't ever exactly been similar.
TravisM.1 wrote:If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.
minengr wrote:I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

SpetsNazGRU
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Dawn of the Dead (orig. and remake), Night of the Living Dead (orig. and remake), Shawn of the Dead, Dead Set, Rec, Diary of the Dead, Planet Terror, 28 Weeks Later, Zombieland

Post by SpetsNazGRU » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:28 pm

LOL! Was that Ivan Chesnokov?

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:54 pm

Why do I find it humorous that a guy wearing a CCCP shirt is shooting guns and seemingly advocating gun ownership.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

SpetsNazGRU
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Dawn of the Dead (orig. and remake), Night of the Living Dead (orig. and remake), Shawn of the Dead, Dead Set, Rec, Diary of the Dead, Planet Terror, 28 Weeks Later, Zombieland

Post by SpetsNazGRU » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:33 pm

Check out this video of his http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7d7liCgNb5E, where he is proving that his "gold" AK is not fake. He sounds just like Ivan Chesnokov at the end there: "Maybe you write zis from special education institution, yes?" LOL!

sammage
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead, 28 Weeks Later, Shaun of the Dead

Post by sammage » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:37 pm

Water jugs aren't exactly the best medium to evaluate terminal ballistics methinks.
crypto wrote:Its a great shotgun for shooting people in the face, but I've got a whole room full of stuff I'd rather shoot someone in the face with.
Lionheart wrote:Some times I wish a pissed of bird/birds would try and break into my place just so I can tell teh internetz that I effectively employed birdshot in a HD situation. Till then I'm sticking with 00.

Czechnology
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Czechnology » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:41 pm

His name is kyle, he's not russian, and that's a terrible fake accent. Also no eyepro or earpro makingpoint blank shots at a table or spool is a terrible idea.
OT: no they're really only good for show. Ballistic gelatin, or even soaked newspaper does a better job approximating effects on living tissue.
Nothing is ever what it seems, but everything is exactly what it is.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:If Nutnfacny were an 8-ounce chicken fried steak, he'd come with 72 ounces of batter around it that you have to slash through to get to it.

Dooms

Post by Dooms » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:49 pm

All that's really being shown here is the energy each round imparts, not necessarily it's overall effectiveness, ballistic or otherwise. A well placed shot with .38 spl can do a lot more damage than a poorly placed shot with a .44 magnum.

One has to keep in mind that, if energy was all that was important in a handgun, everyone would all be buying .460 and .500 S&W magnums or some something a long those lines. Other factors like controllability, ease of use, ease of carry, magazine capacity, ect all need to be taken into consideration. :mrgreen:

Bama67

Post by Bama67 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:54 am

I have seen that guys vids before.

He has gone full retard. :lol:
South Alabama; if the zombies don't get you, the humidity will.

Biggin

Post by Biggin » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:01 am

Pistol boolitz poke holes in things. Make more holes.

Kelvar
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead (1968), Dawn of the Dead (2004), Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland

Post by Kelvar » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:27 am

Kutter_0311 wrote: Don't take that to mean I encourage defensive use of a pistol cartridge that doesn't start with ".4"
Pardon me while I :roll: .
Failure to plan means planning to fail.
JamesCannon wrote:I was more mad that it was closed down, because I loved the dish that was apparently rat meat.
Meat N' Taters wrote:Death rays, advanced technology or not, no creature wants to be stabbed in their hoo-hoo.
Pig wrote:How dare you try to bribe me with amenities like anime, Annie Mae, my sea anemone enemy!?

Liff

Post by Liff » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:32 am

Czechnology wrote:His name is kyle, he's not russian, and that's a terrible fake accent. Also no eyepro or earpro makingpoint blank shots at a table or spool is a terrible idea.
That is hilarious. I was noticing how it seemed his grammar and diction were very good. Seemed to not match the heavy accent with the level of understanding of the language.

From all of the crap on youtoob, his videos are not the worst out there though.

Czechnology
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Czechnology » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:55 am

Liff wrote:
Czechnology wrote:His name is kyle, he's not russian, and that's a terrible fake accent. Also no eyepro or earpro makingpoint blank shots at a table or spool is a terrible idea.
That is hilarious. I was noticing how it seemed his grammar and diction were very good. Seemed to not match the heavy accent with the level of understanding of the language.

From all of the crap on youtoob, his videos are not the worst out there though.
From what I gather he's a gamer who used the gullibility of his teen compatriots to make up a character (this russian guy) and give awful advice about the mostly rented guns he films himself shooting. Apparently he even managed to leverage himself a part in a machinima due to the misguided popularity of his character.more power to him for that but he isn't anything to model ballistic effects on, and sets a terrible safety example.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:If Nutnfacny were an 8-ounce chicken fried steak, he'd come with 72 ounces of batter around it that you have to slash through to get to it.

Liff

Post by Liff » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:26 pm

Czechnology, you are right on the gamer thing. Apparently, FPS Kyle is his other youtube channel. And you are right on every other point also, but then again, when I said, "From all of the crap on youtoob, his videos are not the worst out there though." It is kinda like saying he has above average intelligence for a retard. He has a gold colored AK. He does not wear hearing protection. Or eye protection. But I think he appears to be one of the retards who has above average intelligence.

Czechnology
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Czechnology » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:36 pm

Liff wrote:Czechnology, you are right on the gamer thing. Apparently, FPS Kyle is his other youtube channel. And you are right on every other point also, but then again, when I said, "From all of the crap on youtoob, his videos are not the worst out there though." It is kinda like saying he has above average intelligence for a retard. He has a gold colored AK. He does not wear hearing protection. Or eye protection. But I think he appears to be one of the retards who has above average intelligence.
right, I wasn't arguing, but expanding upon your/my previous post.

wamba
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Zombieland, & Walking Dead (if that counts).

Post by wamba » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:39 pm

Naptime may I suggest having a look over at http://www.theboxotruth.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;? This guy (Old Painless) does a lot of testing, mostly using water jugs, of penetration, bullet construction, & bullet expansion.
Moderators if posting this link is out of line I apologize but a quick review didn't show it breaking any rules.
Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it, & you can bet they'll whine that nobody warned them.

redcrow

Post by redcrow » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:17 pm

MasterMaker

Post by MasterMaker » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:52 pm

The way he waves the gun around doesn't exactly scream muzzle awareness.

Makes me cringe.

It would have been kind of funny if he had planted one in the camera though(provided he was alone when he made the clip)...................
Whatever works!

Content before Form
Action before Intention
Intention before Appearance

Freedom as far as you can take it without it being a hindrance to the freedom of others and voluntarity trumps all other considerations

nimdabew
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD
I am ledgend

Post by nimdabew » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:18 pm

Thanks Anianna!
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:I say when Wee Drop visits the US, we make her ride a goat. You know, like those little monkey cowboys they have at some rodeos. :lol:

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”