Postal Match JC001 - The new beginning - RESULTS POSTED!

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

JTNieman

Postal Match JC001 - The new beginning - RESULTS POSTED!

Post by JTNieman » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:24 pm

You've been holed up at work due to a declaration of immediate lock down for public safety. The report on the radio and the TVs say that there's been an airborne toxicology thread in your immediate area. Staying indoors is ordered. Anyone caught outside will be immediately apprehended and quarantined.

After a time, the broadcasts cease and no reception or connection can be made. Communication providers are blacked out. Looking outside, there's not a patrol in sight.

You decide to make a run for your car in the parking garage, and get home. This is nuts, but a comfy night's sleep will be much better than crashing on the floor at work! Screw that!

As you're making your way up the ramp to the second level, a small group of usual city dredge changes direction and is making their way toward you. You change direction to try and circle around them, giving them wide birth, but they follow you slowly and methodically. Wait.. what.. They have no eyes. You stare closer. One is dragging his foot behind, obviously with broken ankle. Their arms raise to shoulder height as they reach toward you, shambling after you. You start backing up. They're between you and your car.

WHY do you ALWAYS pick the CORNER spot?! Easy to pull out of... but now a detriment to access.

Their teeth are dripping with rancid filth as they moan and tremble toward you.

There's no other way. These vicious zombies must be dealt with.

You must put down these four violent undead. You -must- defeat them each with two shots to the head. You have to be sure.

Two of the zombies are 10 yards away. By the time they are put down, the remaining zombies are at 7 yards and closing! SHOOT! Do NOT give yourself up to the walking dead! You will be no feast for this filth!

Now! You must get to your vehicle if you're to get out of town!

http://zombiehunters.org/postmatch.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by JTNieman on Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JTNieman

Re: Postal Match JC001 - The new beginning

Post by JTNieman » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:25 pm

**READ ME** http://zombiehunters.org/postmatch.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; **READ ME**

Take heed of the text at that link. It describes the general rules and target to use, as well as the submission process. Of note: there will be no snail mail submissions. Scan it, photograph it, email it. That's it.

Download/print the target found here: http://zombiehunters.org/events/zs_target.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This round will be scored as stated on the postmatch page:
Targets will be scored based on typical marksman scoring. The closer you are to the Bull's Eye, the higher your score. The shooter with the highest average score wins. The tightest average groups rule will be used in the event of a tie.
For this competition, we have 4 zeds in the path to our BOV! We MUST eliminate the threat! Two shots to the head for each zombie, a total of 8 rounds. Two targets shall be posted at 10 yards. Two targets shall be posted at 7 yards. In keeping with the story, you shall engage the targets at 10 yards first, with two shots each. Then you will engage each of the targets at 7 yards with two rounds each.

THIS WILL BE SHOT WITH ANY HANDGUN, CENTERFIRE ONLY. ASSUME IT'S YOUR EDC/CCW AND KEEP WITH THE SPIRIT OF THE SCENE. HANDGUNS SHOULD BE GUNS SUITABLE TO CARRY IN YOUR AREA.

Obviously I am not psychic so if you don't follow this for whatever reason (whether it's strange gun range rules, or whatever) I won't know, and honestly it won't matter much. This is the honor system here, folks. Just have fun, follow the rules of the competition, be safe, and kill those zeds!

It's time to evac!

SUBMISSIONS ARE DUE BY THE END OF THE DAY, MONDAY, MARCH 7!

SUBMISSIONS TO BE EMAILED TO postalmatch@zombiehunters.org

JTNieman

Post by JTNieman » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:35 pm

-PLEASE- ask any questions here, and I will do my best to answer/clarify asap. It'll also help me NOT leave out details in future posts if I can have it ironed out now.

Thanks!

I look forward to your submissions and hope we can get a good turnout. :)

JTNieman

Post by JTNieman » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:58 pm

Here is a shitty shop of a sample target. Note, info in the upper-right filled out, two shots on target, as per contest rules for this go around. Note, this time, I should be receiving 4 targets total, each with 2 shots, totally 8 shots.

http://i1000.photobucket.com/albums/af1 ... etbase.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Big B
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Shawn of the Dead, Army of Darkness, Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead, Etc

Post by Big B » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:45 pm

Glad to see the Postal Matches back! I shot the match today and will be emailing my targets shortly. 8)
I've never participated in a postal match before. I always wanted to, but I never got my shit together to do so in the past. :? I figured if people (James Cannon) are taking the initiative to get the matches going again I should get off my ass and shoot!

A couple quick questions about scoring the targets (sorry if I missed this info if it's in your post).

-If a round breaks the line between two numbers do you go with the high or low score? For example, a round breaks the white line between the 8 ring and 9 ring, is it scored as an 8 or a 9?

-What is the bulls eye (the X ring) scored as? Is it a 10?

JTNieman

Post by JTNieman » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:08 pm

If it touches the line, you get the higher score.

The bullseye... well I just noticed that it goes to ten -then- bull... yea, looks like I'll call it an eleven.

As in.. these targets go to ELEVEN, man.

I just used the same targets from the Charity Postal match, with the advise that the Brian/Zombie heads were kinda hard to do. So I stuck with the standard circle.

I'll just call the bull an eleven.

JTNieman

Post by JTNieman » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:21 pm

Just received it. Thanks for entering :)

Without having looked at them yet, I can safely say you are in the lead ! :lol:

Big B
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Shawn of the Dead, Army of Darkness, Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead, Etc

Post by Big B » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:46 pm

JamesCannon wrote:Just received it. Thanks for entering :)

Without having looked at them yet, I can safely say you are in the lead ! :lol:
In the lead!
..... at least until someone else enters..... :lol:

Kelvar
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead (1968), Dawn of the Dead (2004), Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland

Post by Kelvar » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:39 pm

Awesome!!! I'm so glad these are back. They give me a good reason to get out to the range. 8) (Even though I never win. :( )
Failure to plan means planning to fail.
JamesCannon wrote:I was more mad that it was closed down, because I loved the dish that was apparently rat meat.
Meat N' Taters wrote:Death rays, advanced technology or not, no creature wants to be stabbed in their hoo-hoo.
Pig wrote:How dare you try to bribe me with amenities like anime, Annie Mae, my sea anemone enemy!?

JTNieman

Post by JTNieman » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:05 pm

Cross posted from Chat thread, in case it helps anyone else:
Vicarious_Lee wrote:I'll also need some stand-alone targets for the 10 and 7yd shots.

Is this timed? Like, roughly one second per shot? That would seem appropriate.
It's to be shot however you prefer. I'm gonna try and shoot it in keeping with the scenario. I'm gonna do a few practice runs and see if I can shoot it on the move while walking backward/sideways from the targets. Depends on whether there are others at the range or not.

Can I ask why you need standalone targets for that range? Do you only have set targets at 25 yards and further, maybe?

More info about people's general setup where they shoot will help me make it easier for future matches. Fucking hell I sound like a tech support customer feedback form. *stabs self in the face*

I was kind thinking, with input from others, that 7 and 10 yds were the most common for pistol :\

lemme know. More data = happier pool of participants.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote: So...2 hits, 4 targets...how many misses do we get? :P
lol. Let me put it this way. You send me 4 targets with two bullet holes in each, shot from 7 or 10 yards as the contest stipulates, ok? ;) You connect those dots however you want. But if you send me a target with more than 2 holes, I'm counting your worst 2 shots.

Wildeman_13
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Wildeman_13 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:37 pm

I'll have to give this one a "shot" when I get back from vacation. ;)

My local ranges do not allow faster fire than 1 every 2/3 seconds, so fast timed shoots aren't going to happen for me at least. I can do 10/25yard pretty easy outdoors, but only 7yards indoors also due to range issue. :)

Maybe I can find some AZ ZS'ers to go shooting with while I am down there next week... :D
raptor wrote: Anyone know if there is an asshat gene? If so it must be a dominant gene.
Image Image

JTNieman

Post by JTNieman » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:33 pm

Yea, the rapid fire thing is not going to be a rule for the matches because too many ranges have stupid rules to account for stupid people that ruin it for everyone else.

However, given that this is a fun match, for fun, I'm gonna shoot it like I was really in the scenarios I write... for fun :P If you wanna worry about getting THE BEST shot group you can, and do it in the most accurate and stable setup you can... have at it.

If you wanna shoot on the move, like it's an IDPA match or something, do that too, if you're able. I'm easy. Just gimme some holes in the papers to score.

J.C.
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, 28 Days Later, Zombieland

Post by J.C. » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:39 pm

Good thing I always strap on my AR-15 pistol before going to work :D
squinty wrote: Birds gotta fly, fish gotta swim, zombies gotta shuffle around and eatcher brains. Why do sharks eat divers? Why not swim around and starve to death?
Why do tornadoes zero in on trailer parks? Why not just blow around harmlessly? It's the way of the world, man.

maldon007
Favorite Zombie Movies: Most of the older stuff, newer stuff just doesnt cut it fsr...

Post by maldon007 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:00 pm

Cool deal!

EDIT: Most of my Q's were covered while my slow ass typed :D Thank you.

A couple of questions... Is it ok to use a friend's gun, or a rental? I only own .22s. & do not carry. Also, how are the targets usually set up, as in spatially? And time wise, should these be shot as fast as can be done... take your time... in between? I am new to anything like this. So far my range shooting has been single track chain type target holders/adjustable distance. And single distance, staple your targets to a board type, as many targets as you want.

Thanks!

Chris@MTCT

Post by Chris@MTCT » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:21 pm

Ill run this when I get my glock in, run the timer and see how i do, hell Ill video it to and speed off in my truck..
sigboy40 wrote: I carry around magical kit faeries that keep all my stuff in place. This way I dont lose anything.
Instructor at Milcopp Tactical

CEO of http://movementtocontact.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Please also like us on Facebook!

JTNieman

Post by JTNieman » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:30 pm

I don't care if you shoot your gun, your wife's gun, your neighbors gun. I don't care if you steal a gun to use, just don't tell me about it. :)

Shoot them as fast/slow as you want.

Arrange the targets any way you wish, assuming two are 7 yds away, the other two are 10 yds away.

Shoot in whatever position is comfortable.

I'll try to keep the story separate from the competition. It's just more of a setting, and maybe something to think about when you're shooting, for fun.

This first match is deliberately open and easy. We're starting simple and open. Just give me two holes in each of 4 targets, shot at the specified range, using a centerfire handgun.

I'll get more specific as we go and throw in some twists, such as shooting with your weak hand, or shooting rifle but must be off-hand, standing... we'll see. :)

JTNieman

Post by JTNieman » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:37 pm

I think 'one target at a time' is pretty common, at ranges, so I'll stick with that. Even though this current one is 4 targets, you don't have to shoot them all in one string. I understand there are limits for some people, especially if your option for pistols is an indoor range.

Vicarious_Lee
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, Resident Evil 2, Shaun Of The Dead, Bowling For Columbine, Farenheit 911

Post by Vicarious_Lee » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:48 pm

Oh, and you're standing unsupported, right?

Moving's not gonna fly for me, and I can do one shot per second. Hell, I might just even draw for fun.

I'ma not win this. :lol:
duodecima wrote:The tinfoil's a clever idea...

JTNieman

Post by JTNieman » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:53 pm

I might shoot some to win, but most I'm gonna shoot for fun.

Shooting while moving is a whole other world. My first USPSA match showed me that. If I ever get the rifle range to myself, I like to walk sideways, or at an angle and take controlled shots at a target.

Chris@MTCT

Post by Chris@MTCT » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:05 pm

This is going to be fun.
sigboy40 wrote: I carry around magical kit faeries that keep all my stuff in place. This way I dont lose anything.
Instructor at Milcopp Tactical

CEO of http://movementtocontact.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Please also like us on Facebook!

Big B
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by Big B » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:08 pm

I started from the holster for the first target. After the first 2 targets a run up to the 7yd line for the last 2. I should have used my shot timer...... too bad I didn't think of it until now..... Maybe next Postal Match! :D

Trebor

Post by Trebor » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:20 am

I thought this would be appropriate:

----
R.I.P HK33K - Gone, but not forgetten.

E

Post by E » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:59 am

ARGH I need to find a range that's open. I've wanted to do a postal shoot for forever. How long is the match live for?
"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for."

Once you dread potential danger
You are bound by fear...
Fear is the only enemy.
Face the enemy

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:03 pm

I'm in. I have a scanner too. I'll get this done this weekend.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”