Magazine Conversion

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

pyratemime

Magazine Conversion

Post by pyratemime » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:42 am

Went to the range yesterday to zero my new rifle, post on that forthcoming, and after I was done with that fun I ran some of my other guns that have been so long ignored as I have finished school and had a baby. As I began to load one of the mags for my Beretta 92FS I noticed that it was getting awfully stiff with only 7 rounds in it. Looking at the back I realized it was one of the used mags I bought at a gun show last year and was only a 10 round magazine. After feeling like a complete moron for not realizing it was a 10 round magazine (this is what I get for assuming no one would sell a 10 rounder in TX!) I got to thinking, is there a way to convert this from a 10 to a 15 round capacity?

As such I bring it to the far more knowledgeable people here, is there a way that I can convert a 10 round 92FS magazine to a 15 round 92FS magazine? Keeping in mind I am in TX so there are no legal issues with standard capacity magazines.

"It wouldn't hurt you people to think like a serial killer every now and again. You know just for the sake of prevention!" - Foamy the Squirrel
DaJoker wrote:In regards to us "normal" humans... well that's why its best to follow pyratemime's advice.

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Re: Magazine Conversion

Post by Jeriah » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:53 am

Depends on how it was made. If it's like the 10-round factory magazine that came with my Sig, the metal body is actually shorter than normal, and a plastic filler block is put in place of a floorplate so it can come all the way to the magwell of the pistol. Converting this magazine would require fabricating a new metal magazine body, at which point you're basically just making your own magazines from scratch.

OTOH, some ten-round magazines may just be standard magazines with a block pinned in place, in which case you may be able to drill out the pins, remove the floorplate, tap out the block, sand the holes smooth, get a standard-length magazine spring, and put it all back together.

Arcana71

Post by Arcana71 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:45 am

pyratemime wrote:is there a way that I can convert a 10 round 92FS magazine to a 15 round 92FS magazine?
Here's the quick-and-dirty solution: http://www.cdnninvestments.com/be929mm15meb.html

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:21 am

Arcana71 wrote:
pyratemime wrote:is there a way that I can convert a 10 round 92FS magazine to a 15 round 92FS magazine?
Here's the quick-and-dirty solution: http://www.cdnninvestments.com/be929mm15meb.html
Yup, at just fifteen bucks a pop, those conversion kits are quite a bargain. :lol:

That's the solution I'd go with as well. Just replace 'em.

You can use the 10-rounders for a couple of things. One thing I would use them for is in training, bring 'em with you empty. When the instructor asks you to download a magazine to a given number of rounds (to practice reloads, malfunctions, etc.), you can throw the required number of rounds into a 10-rounder instead of peeling rounds off of a fully-loaded standard-capacity magazine.

jor-el

Post by jor-el » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:01 pm

Where you live it doesn't matter, but back in the dark times of the ban, as well as those states that still impose it, you CAN"T convert a low-cap mag to a high-cap LEGALLY. Doing so as a citizen of a ban state without the ability to travel through time to before 1994, without a FFL with "magazine manufacturing ability", would earn you prison time.

You're better off buying correct mags. Ban mags were supposed to be designed to prevent Joe Blow from hillbillying them into correct capacity. S+W mags, for example were laser cut so that removing the blocks formed into the magazine walls would break the mag, and used modified springs and/or followers that would have to be replaced, equaling the cost of a new mag .
My son, you will travel far, but never be alone, for I am with you, my M14 and battle axe comfort you.

Power Fail

Post by Power Fail » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:31 pm

I just compared a 10 and 15 round Beretta mag. I couldn't figure it out at first; I swapped springs, the followers were the same length, there was no block or anything installed, and the magazines were the same length.

What's different is the indents running down the sides of the mag bodies. It's just a thin, shallow line on the 15 rounder, but it's a wide, much deeper one on the 10. My guess is that the deeper indents don't let the rounds stagger, thus effectively making it a single stack magazine.
JamesCannon wrote:I think he's also forgotten more about spelling and grammar than ... well it just seems he's forgotten a lot about it.
DannusMaximus wrote:Few things are more win than saving the day with something that other people think you're weird for hauling around. 8)

BobtheBreaker
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD 04
LotD
Resident Evil
Evil Dead Trilogy?

Post by BobtheBreaker » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:38 pm

Power Fail wrote:I just compared a 10 and 15 round Beretta mag. I couldn't figure it out at first; I swapped springs, the followers were the same length, there was no block or anything installed, and the magazines were the same length.

What's different is the indents running down the sides of the mag bodies. It's just a thin, shallow line on the 15 rounder, but it's a wide, much deeper one on the 10. My guess is that the deeper indents don't let the rounds stagger, thus effectively making it a single stack magazine.
This...

Someone I know, may or may not, have tried to hammer out the deep rib in order to restore the mag to super awesome status. It does not work very well, by the surplus contract mags on CDNN and sell your 10 rounders.
.22LR/.357/Cheese Cake/SAK/Grey Wire
If you can't laugh at yourself, you're in trouble.
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast

Security Guard/Wilderness First Aid/CPR for the Professional/HAM Technician

pyratemime

Post by pyratemime » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:40 pm

I already have 9 15-round magazines so I am hardly hurting for standard capacity mags. It was more a question of is this worth my time and effort to save the 10 bucks to get a used replacement magazine. The answer is rather firmly no. As such I have a mag that is going to go into the bottom of an ammo can and live an ignominious life until such time as the AF decides to send me to CA or MA or MD at which point I already have one magazine for my pistol.

"It wouldn't hurt you people to think like a serial killer every now and again. You know just for the sake of prevention!" - Foamy the Squirrel
DaJoker wrote:In regards to us "normal" humans... well that's why its best to follow pyratemime's advice.

BobtheBreaker
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD 04
LotD
Resident Evil
Evil Dead Trilogy?

Post by BobtheBreaker » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:52 pm

Not that im a lawyer or anything, but at least in CA, IF you are AD .Mil...most LEOs are not going to care, even less, about you having hi-cap mags if they are for an issue weapon. Around these parts the burden of proof for arrest/conviction is really geared towards the manufacture or transferring (sale) of Hi-Caps...not just simple possession.
.22LR/.357/Cheese Cake/SAK/Grey Wire
If you can't laugh at yourself, you're in trouble.
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast

Security Guard/Wilderness First Aid/CPR for the Professional/HAM Technician

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”