Requesting personal experiences with muzzle brakes.

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Requesting personal experiences with muzzle brakes.

Post by Gingerbread Man » Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:01 pm

I'm requesting personal experiences with muzzle brakes. Let me qualify why I'm requesting this information. I have had 2 surguries on my right shoulder which left me with a 10" scar right where you shoulder your rifle. I've had some of my clavical removed on my right side. My shoulder is quite sore after firing a few of my rifles. My left shoulder has had one surgury and I'm looking at having another or should I say my doctor recommends it.

I don't like muzzle brakes but I'm at the point where it's easier for me to deal with the blast/noise then being sore for days. I'm not looking for big squishy recoil pad or a shoulder pad.

That out of the way, I use a 74 style brake on my AKs. This is very tolerable for me. I'm looking at the either YHM Flash Hider/Muzzle Brake or the PWS 47. If you have experience with these, please let me know if you feel they are better than the 74 brake.

On my DPMS AR-10 I have a factory FH. I fired about 250 rds this weekend and I'm sore. It sucks. I really need to get the recoil reduced. I have a factory DPMS FH on the rifle now, I'm looking at the PWS 762 or the YHM Flash hider/muzzle brake. If you have experience with either of these on a 308 caliber rifle, please post your impressions.

Thanks for your time and attention.

Found a cool site with some information. http://308ar.com/brakes.htm#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Gingerbread Man on Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

jeep45238

Re: Requesting personal experiences with muzzle breaks.

Post by jeep45238 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:03 pm

The PWS is awesome - ran one on my old M4orgery. Concussion was horrible if you were next to it, but as a shooter, it was no louder than an A2, and the front sight post never left the target.
April 19th, 1775 - when marksmanship met history, and the heritage began. Liberty, Heritage, and Marksmanship.
Are you a Rifleman or a cook? Attend an Appleseed event and discover your heritage. http://www.appleseedinfo.org/

~Mike F.

Well I think I'm gonna reroute my trip, I wonder if anybody'd think I'd flipped if I went to L.A. via Omaha...

JTNieman

Post by JTNieman » Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:21 pm

What's the problem with the AK74 style?

I've never had any problems with the AK74 style and I've seen no signs of barrel wear/tear.. let alone out-right breakage.

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:29 pm

[quote="JamesCannon"]What's the problem with the AK74 style?
[quote]

No problem apart from they're blasty. They're doing their job. I'm looking for an improvement. I've heard rumors YHM is good and the vids of the PWS look great. Just looking for personal experience so I can compare/contrast the different models.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|

jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:31 pm

http://www.scribd.com/doc/22829785/AR15 ... ators-pt-2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
April 19th, 1775 - when marksmanship met history, and the heritage began. Liberty, Heritage, and Marksmanship.
Are you a Rifleman or a cook? Attend an Appleseed event and discover your heritage. http://www.appleseedinfo.org/

~Mike F.

Well I think I'm gonna reroute my trip, I wonder if anybody'd think I'd flipped if I went to L.A. via Omaha...

whisk.e.rebellion
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later. Dawn of the Dead (both versions). Return of the Living Dead. Shaun of the Dead. Dead Alive.

Post by whisk.e.rebellion » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:08 pm

Muzzle break:

Muzzle brake:

Break:

Brake:
I survived Zombie Con 2011: Full Spectrum Pain
I survived Zombie Con 2012: Our word is "douchebag"
I survived Zombie Con 2014: <Insert inappropriate website here>

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Re: Requesting personal experiences with muzzle brakes.

Post by Gingerbread Man » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:12 pm

I did that didn't I. -10 internets.
You noticed. +10 internets.
Can I borrow some internets, I'm down a few or 10. :oops:

I thought you had some info, nope, just some straight setting to do. :(

PistolPete
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by PistolPete » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:27 pm

What do I know about muzzle brakes? An A2 style on a PLR-16 makes my ears ring if I'm at the range with walls between booths. I have to double up hearing protection. I don't use that combo anymore.
Steemit, where I write stuff now

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

11b20

Post by 11b20 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:33 pm

the pws is the bomb they work really well provided you are standing behind the rifle. to the sides of the rifle it is louder i think. if you want to go a little less tactical the jp recoil eliminator is a real good piece of equipment
Didn't Pass Mil Spec
Dont Purchase My Shit

Foolish are those who fear nothing, yet claim to know everything.

Post by ........ » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:34 pm

I've used a few on my AK and found this to be the most effective:

minengr

Post by minengr » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:24 pm

No experience with those you listed.

But, I have one of these http://www.ahlmans.com/muzzlebrakes.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; on my .338WM. It's stupid loud, but feels like a 243 using pretty warm reloads.

I would think it would reduce a 308 to around 223.
Bullet drop is physics, reading wind is voodoo

Paladin1

Post by Paladin1 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:05 pm

I have used the PWS J-Tac 47 for over a year now and I find it superior to the AK74 I had before.

This is very subjective of course.
WWSD?

Absintheur
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Let's just say I have never seen one I didn't like!

Post by Absintheur » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:45 pm

There are the tactical muzzle break/flash suppressors and then you have pure muzzle brakes like the KDF. I use a KDF on my Browning BAR 375/338, this round is equivalent to a 375 H&H and the felt recoil is no worse than a .243 in this rifle. Of course part of that is due to the semi-auto gas action but still it is very impressive. KDF has been the "go to" muzzle brake for big bore for many years because they work and do reduce felt recoil.
"I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend." -- J.R.R.Tolkien

oldsoldier
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead got it rolling for me, although, classics like White Zombie are fun to watch as well

Post by oldsoldier » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:57 pm

jeep45238 wrote:The PWS is awesome - ran one on my old M4orgery. Concussion was horrible if you were next to it, but as a shooter, it was no louder than an A2, and the front sight post never left the target.
I shoot one too. Its amazing with recoil. the people standing to either side hate you, but against your shoulder, its nice.

Edited because I have a nasty habit of not reading the whole post....
Feel free to check out our ZS chapter 022 FB page as well. This can be found here

SeerSavant
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
28 Days Later
Serenity/Firefly (Reavers, man!)

Post by SeerSavant » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:52 pm

Until you heal up okay from the surgery, I would recommend a good shooting vest with the reinforce padding, much like the shotgun vests. You can also stitch or velcro in some extra padding on the inside.

Brakes are good, but unless your switching to .22s your still gonna get knocked around a little.

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:56 pm

SeerSavant wrote:Until you heal up okay from the surgery, I would recommend a good shooting vest with the reinforce padding, much like the shotgun vests. You can also stitch or velcro in some extra padding on the inside.

Brakes are good, but unless your switching to .22s your still gonna get knocked around a little.
My surgery on my right was 10 years, it has some arthritis and I'm pushing 40 so I'd like to have the use of my are for a while more, hence the muzzle brakes.

My left was last year and they want to do another due to some nerve damage from the initial incident. I'm really not wanting a 4th surgery on my shoulder.

SeerSavant
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
28 Days Later
Serenity/Firefly (Reavers, man!)

Post by SeerSavant » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:48 pm

Ouch, don't worry too much, I've turned 39 (again) this year, and it's simply a matter of adaptation. My lower back is jacked up, has been for about a dozen years, and so far I've avoided fusion and a daily habit of pain pills. It's hard at times, but don't give up. Pain is just your body telling you that your not dead yet.

Still think a padded shoulder on a shooting vest would help, if your not sure, try draping a towel over your shoulder and fire off a few rounds. It might make a difference.
But consider a recoil shock (I think it's called) kind of like a spring inside the AR's tube that you can use with a collapsable stock, they make a variation for the AK, I considered getting it, but it looks awfully weird to me. Also thicker recoil pads for the butt of the rifle, on the AK you usually have a Warsaw pact size, so the bumper pad will actually give you a better reach. Depending on your preferences or a combination of them should ease the recoil without you changing rifles.
Muzzle brake/shoulder pad/recoil absorbing stock.

I hope it helps...

BAD BOY

Post by BAD BOY » Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:52 am

What stock you running on your rifle? When I first got mine it had the cheap collapsible stock with the meat tenderizer end plate on it. That think beat the shit out of my shoulder. I quickly put a Magpul CTR with the thick rubber butt plate and it's easy to do 100+rnds pron.

Nesrath

Post by Nesrath » Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:43 am

Try a battle comp, they are great for recoil reduction and tame some of the blast as well.

http://battlecomp.com/
Front Offensive Line of SpamWar 6/10:Axis of Oxycontin8878
Biggin wrote:I still want to see this.... I mean, a dude weeping and fapping in the wild? Awesome.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:Nim I actually just did that, and all I can say is that my right hand makes an even shittier ACOG than it does a vagina.
LEO/EMT-B/TEMS

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:58 am

BAD BOY wrote:What stock you running on your rifle? When I first got mine it had the cheap collapsible stock with the meat tenderizer end plate on it. That think beat the shit out of my shoulder. I quickly put a Magpul CTR with the thick rubber butt plate and it's easy to do 100+rnds pron.
On my DPMS LR-308 I'm running a Magpul CTR with the 1/2inch pad. The AKs have Warsaw pact syn. stocks and 74 brakes. AK are tolerable, the LR 308 is not. I'm swapping out the AK stocks for ACE folders.

yar1182

Post by yar1182 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:54 am

http://jprifles.com/1.4.2_re.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The JP recoil eliminator is going to be the most effective for your purposes. I have a lot of experieince with compensators and muzzle brakes from 3 gun comptition. The JP recoil eliminator works really well with 308, rem 260 and other rounds larger than 223. I will add though that the brake is only one part of the equation. If your looking for the most recoil reduction your also going to want a adjustable gas block, a lightened bolt carrier, and possibly a lightened buffer and buffer spring. All these things work together to reduce recoil. Now while it does make the recoil impulse softer primarily for competition we are looking for less recticle jump when using magnified optics. This way we can see the splash from a miss or the wash of a bullet in order to make wind corrections, etc.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”