New show on history "Top Shot"

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

Cpt. MelonBuster

New show on history "Top Shot"

Post by Cpt. MelonBuster » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:21 pm

Two teams of "Professional" marksman from all fields, from archery to distance rifle, compete against one another in a series of precision shots through obstacle courses using various projectile weapons from history. The losing team must then chose 2 of its contestants to do a head-to-head match to avoid elimination. Today's episode is "Long Rifle"

More information here
http://www.history.com/shows/top-shot" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thoughts, Comments?

The only good thing I see about this show is some cool slow-motion bullet impacts...

RogueJSK

Re: New show on history "Top Shot"

Post by RogueJSK » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:25 pm

Damn. That was tonight? I'm going to have to set my DVR to catch one of the reruns.

Toro Azul
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later

Post by Toro Azul » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:35 pm

Are Chum-Lee and the Old Man competing? If so I'm all in!
Cheers.

"Who is John Galt?"
"I gotta great idea guys, slick shoes!"

Dexion1619

Post by Dexion1619 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:36 pm

Chum-Lee with a gun... <Shudder>
Dude, is that a turkey or a dinosaur?!?!

Kabong30
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead '78, 28 Days Later (not strictly zombie?) WWZ when it comes out :)

Post by Kabong30 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:38 pm

RogueJSK wrote:Damn. That was tonight? I'm going to have to set my DVR to catch one of the reruns.
This. :(
"1911 mag, twinkie, twinkie, cupcake, primary weapon mag" - Chris Costa
Sig_Ocelot wrote:Nintendo drops the ball!!!! They don't make hybrid cars, what's up with that? I can't ride my Wii to work, this is bullshit. :evil:

Dexion1619

Post by Dexion1619 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:41 pm

Catch the replay, they are running 2 ep. back to back.

Paladin1

Post by Paladin1 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:51 pm

Just STOPPED watching it.

They took the Survivor formula and wrapped it around a shooting contest. The shooting is great to watch, but they are spending far more time on the group drama aspect.

I don't have the patience. Too bad, it had potential.
WWSD?

Dexion1619

Post by Dexion1619 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:02 pm

That young guy can friggen SHOOT.

Flavors
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Sean of the Dead, many many others.

Post by Flavors » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:29 pm

So far it seems like a great show. I want some of those exploding targets!!

And yeah, Junior's got skills!
"You can lose a lot of money chasing women, but you will never lose any women chasing money."

Haji
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Resident Evil 1,2, and 3, and the Samuel scene from Diary of the Dead. I'm working my way through the worst of them of late, too.

Post by Haji » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:03 pm

Red Team voted off Mike Seeklander with the M9 up next week. Oops. The rifle shootin' kid is talkin' a lot of smack considering its clear that he has no idea who else is around him.

Its Combat Missions without the combat missions.

Blue team is gonna win this thing.
I don't carry a gun in case I get in a gun fight. I carry a gun because I don't want to miss the opportunity to get in a gun fight. - Officer Timmy

http://www.atstacticalgear.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SimonZayne

Post by SimonZayne » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:08 pm

Paladin1 wrote:Just STOPPED watching it.

They took the Survivor formula and wrapped it around a shooting contest. The shooting is great to watch, but they are spending far more time on the group drama aspect.

I made it up to the point they explained how they split everyone into two teams and they where all living in a house together.
No thanks.

Bearcat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Do I have to choose?

Post by Bearcat » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:17 pm

SimonZayne wrote:

I made it up to the point they explained how they split everyone into two teams and they where all living in a house together.
No thanks.
You guys just made want to never watch the show now. All I need is another stupid fucking reality show like mtv plays but instead of giving the cast members booze, you give them guns in an attempt to make it more "manlier." Yeah no thanks.
Meat N' Taters wrote:Death rays, advanced technology or not, no creature wants to be stabbed in their hoo-hoo.
Jvandenhaus wrote:Zombie squad: If you aren't one of us, you wish you were.

Cpt. MelonBuster

Post by Cpt. MelonBuster » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:24 pm

Bearcat wrote:
SimonZayne wrote:

No thanks.
You guys just made want to never watch the show now. All I need is another stupid fucking reality show like mtv plays but instead of giving the cast members booze, you give them guns in an attempt to make it more "manlier." Yeah no thanks.

Yeah, I agree. I am dissapointed that History has lowered itself to these standards...

dukman
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by dukman » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:58 pm

I watched it and enjoyed it. It may be similar in some ways to Survivor, but then again, what reality show isn't??

The kid was cocky, but he is still young and dumb and talented. Lets just hope he has skills in the other weaponry. My parents didn't get why Mike chose to go up against the kid, thinking it would have been better to go against one of the other guys or force a shootoff for the spot. Mike knew the kid from events, and knew he was good. After the disappointing team event, he could have redeemed himself. Instead the kid has some new-found respect among others in the group along with new rivals.

I don't get why Mike didn't try to aim at the 50 yard target to get his bearings with the gun first before retrying the 100 target as the spotter had no idea where he was.
M-O-O-N, that spells survival, law's yes!
Duk's Bags: GLOF GHB ONB EDC
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything ~Tyler Durden

Tater Raider

Post by Tater Raider » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:25 am

If I wanted to watch Survivor I'd tune in to CBS.

Epic Fail.

Aikidoka

Post by Aikidoka » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:45 am

My one question about this show is this. When you get to the "voting for the person to go to the elimination round by shooting at their target" what happens if they miss??
"Zombies. Like Us, But More Dead"

Cpt. MelonBuster

Post by Cpt. MelonBuster » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:07 am

Aikidoka wrote:My one question about this show is this. When you get to the "voting for the person to go to the elimination round by shooting at their target" what happens if they miss??

:lol: I was actually thinking the same thing when I was watching that part...

Dexion1619

Post by Dexion1619 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:20 am

Cpt. MelonBuster wrote:
Bearcat wrote:
SimonZayne wrote:

No thanks.

Yeah, I agree. I am dissapointed that History has lowered itself to these standards...

Is it bad that I'm so used to seeing TV in this new format that it didn't even occure to me they could have done it in a better way :?

CLEAR CUT

Post by CLEAR CUT » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:32 am

Cpt. MelonBuster wrote:
Aikidoka wrote:My one question about this show is this. When you get to the "voting for the person to go to the elimination round by shooting at their target" what happens if they miss??

:lol: I was actually thinking the same thing when I was watching that part...
There's no way in hell they're going to miss, especially at the distance the targets are placed on. If there's one thing you can count on is that those dudes are studs and I'm sure there was a heavy duty competition to even be considered as one of the cast members.

I watched it and I thought it was typical reality show fodder. I don't care for the whole voting off the island theme but if there's nothing else on I'll watch it.

Does anyone know if this is a Burnett production? I noticed Colby Donelson(sp?) as the host and the season of Survivor that I did watch, he's the only person on it that I do respect. The dude is stand up, has a code and sticks to it.
The greatest mask of all is not wearing one.
You can't tarnish a rusted blade.
Zoltan wrote:Chimps are fucking dangerous
Don't ever forget your DBP's!

sammage
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead, 28 Weeks Later, Shaun of the Dead

Post by sammage » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:03 am

Good shooting, horrible drama.
crypto wrote:Its a great shotgun for shooting people in the face, but I've got a whole room full of stuff I'd rather shoot someone in the face with.
Lionheart wrote:Some times I wish a pissed of bird/birds would try and break into my place just so I can tell teh internetz that I effectively employed birdshot in a HD situation. Till then I'm sticking with 00.

bufordtjustice

Post by bufordtjustice » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:24 am

I just finished watch it this morning (DVR). It had some good and bad aspects. I am looking forward to see where the show goes. I actually enjoyed seeing Mike take charge of the team at first and then fail miserably. I have seen lots of guys like him at different courses. At least he didn't make too many excuses for his poor performance. Yes, I do think his "spotter" had a small degree of responsibility but like someone else said, he could have picked a closer target to see where he was hitting, etc. After awhile, he was just throwing lead downrange hoping for a hit.

I did find it odd that Mike and the spotter were not both in the shootoff. Since they were the only ones to shoot the event, that is what I would have thought.

As far as the kid, he can shoot long range pretty well. His wind estimation seemed pretty impressive.

I will give it another episode or two and see where it goes. Apparently, they are going to throw knives, shoot bows, etc.

Of course it was just a show and we don't know how it looked before editing but was anyone else amused by these "top shots" routinely missing 50 and 100 yard targets?

gelgoog

Post by gelgoog » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:58 am

how can a "professional" shooter not hit a 100 yard target with an 1903 with 30 shots? all those WW1 and WW2 devil dogs who were issued that rifle are probably turning in their graves right now. I mean I am by no means a "professional" but that was not a difficult shot, I can understand 2 or 3 misses, but 30?

Dexion1619

Post by Dexion1619 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:35 pm

I'm not sure how big the hit area to trigger the "explosion" was... but I think they mentioned he wasn't even on paper for some of the shots :shock:

I also think it should have been the shooter/spotter in the "shoot-off". Should be fun to watch when they get too the non-standard stuff (Bows, Knives, tomahawks).

Rhep

Post by Rhep » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:12 pm

He went up against the kid because one guy said he did it because Mike wanted to go up against the best long shooter and the other thought the kid won't bring anything but a long game.

The preview said thousands of shooters tried out, so I'd hope these guys are fairly talented with everything they will use!

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”