Ruger LCR, for the wife to carry?

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

Post Reply
jeepgunman
* *
Posts: 232
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:17 pm
Location: lehigh Valley Pa

Ruger LCR, for the wife to carry?

Post by jeepgunman » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:48 pm

I would like to get a new handgun for my wife to carry. Does anyone have one of these? Ive read up on them and they seem OK. Anything anyone can add would be appreciated.
Children should be educated and instructed in the principles of freedom.

John Adams

User avatar
Sig_Ocelot
* * * * *
Posts: 2526
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:53 pm

Re: Ruger LCR, for the wife to carry?

Post by Sig_Ocelot » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:52 pm

The recoil is painful at best. Follow up shots are slow, and the DAO trigger may (99%) be difficult for a new shooter to place rounds on target. I would say nay. Get a revolver that weighs a few more ounces. Most women (all the ones I know) have so much crap in their purses that a few extra ounces on a revolver won't make a difference.

There's a youtube video of a guy who had severe gas cutting into the frame of his LCR after only 500 rds of .38. Something to consider.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0h3tz4pAF0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Look into a Ruger SP101 or a S&W J-frame.
Rush2112 wrote: Somehow I see this phrase ending a lot of sentences in the future:

"...And that's how Sig lost his [eyesight/fingers]."

jeepgunman
* *
Posts: 232
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:17 pm
Location: lehigh Valley Pa

Re: Ruger LCR, for the wife to carry?

Post by jeepgunman » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:19 pm

Sig_Ocelot wrote:The recoil is painful at best. Follow up shots are slow, and the DAO trigger may (99%) be difficult for a new shooter to place rounds on target. I would say nay. Get a revolver that weighs a few more ounces. Most women (all the ones I know) have so much crap in their purses that a few extra ounces on a revolver won't make a difference.

There's a youtube video of a guy who had severe gas cutting into the frame of his LCR after only 500 rds of .38. Something to consider.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0h3tz4pAF0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Look into a Ruger SP101 or a S&W J-frame.
Thanks. I wonder how he made out. I do have a S$W model 60 in .357 that she likes, im just thinking somthing lighter.
Good point about the purse also. Why do they carry so much garbage?
Children should be educated and instructed in the principles of freedom.

John Adams

Hoot Harrington
* * * * *
Posts: 1870
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:27 am

Re: Ruger LCR, for the wife to carry?

Post by Hoot Harrington » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:37 pm

SW 442's are usually the same price or cheaper. :?
Image

User avatar
crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Posts: 16637
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:37 pm
Location: City of Saint Louis

Re: Ruger LCR, for the wife to carry?

Post by crypto » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:47 pm

I'm going to dissent here.

I bought an LCR last month, and its the most comfy snub revolver I've ever shot. I like it better than the 642 I bought for B3 last year, and I like it better than PistolPete's little S&W's too.

The plastic lower frame and wrap-around rubber grip do a lot to mitigate recoil. Maybe a steel J-frame with a Hogue grip would feel better, but it's certainly less punishing than an Airweight or Scandium with side scales or wood grips.

The DA trigger is better than anything else on the market right now. Better than a J-frame, and way better than a Taurus or Charter. The trigger has a cammed action on it that is initially stiff, then eases off for the remaining 2/3 of the pull. It feels a lot like a compound bow. It's very easy to 'stage' the trigger, and I was easily able to keep it in the black at 7yd, and had a nice ragged hole in the paper after 50 rounds.


So, more comfortable to shoot than a metal pistol with an exposed backstrap, and a better trigger than anything else out there. And I got mine for $425, which is about even with a baseline J-frame.

I say get it. It's my favorite snub right now, and I'd recommend it to anyone.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Image
Image

User avatar
Big B
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Posts: 3195
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:27 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Shawn of the Dead, Army of Darkness, Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead, Etc
Location: Washington (the state)

Re: Ruger LCR, for the wife to carry?

Post by Big B » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:43 pm

FYI: My brother has one that I like, but my fiancé and his wife hate it. My fiancé perfers Glocks.

Before you buy her a gun try to have try it out first. If she doesn't like it she won't practice with it, which is obviously a problem if she ever has to deffend herself with it.
Image
Image
Image

Liff
* * * * *
Posts: 1330
Joined: Wed May 21, 2008 4:50 pm

Re: Ruger LCR, for the wife to carry?

Post by Liff » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:03 am

I really like mine. All three women that have shot it really like it. Very, very comfortable to shoot.

I have seen Glocks and AKs go bad. I would not say those are bad guns because of that.
Big B wrote:Before you buy her a gun try to have try it out first. If she doesn't like it she won't practice with it, which is obviously a problem if she ever has to deffend herself with it.
Yup.

mordekin
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:59 am

Re: Ruger LCR, for the wife to carry?

Post by mordekin » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:38 am

I have been shoping for a CCW revolver for my wife also, and I looked at the LCR but changed my mind after she felt the weight and feel of the gun. It is very light gun, but the recoil for her was a bit too much. So we are trying something heavier to improve the recoil problem.
~Pretty soon life's little Twinkie gauge is gonna go empty. (Zombieland 2009)~

User avatar
Sig_Ocelot
* * * * *
Posts: 2526
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:53 pm

Re: Ruger LCR, for the wife to carry?

Post by Sig_Ocelot » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:03 pm

mordekin wrote:I have been shoping for a CCW revolver for my wife also, and I looked at the LCR but changed my mind after she felt the weight and feel of the gun. It is very light gun, but the recoil for her was a bit too much. So we are trying something heavier to improve the recoil problem.
A 1911 with steel frame chambered in 9mm might do the trick.

In all seriousness, asking a message board isn't the best idear for choosing a carry piece. I sure hope there's a range near by where the wife can try out the LCR.
Rush2112 wrote: Somehow I see this phrase ending a lot of sentences in the future:

"...And that's how Sig lost his [eyesight/fingers]."

jeepgunman
* *
Posts: 232
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:17 pm
Location: lehigh Valley Pa

Re: Ruger LCR, for the wife to carry?

Post by jeepgunman » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:22 pm

Sig_Ocelot wrote:
In all seriousness, asking a message board isn't the best idear for choosing a carry piece. I sure hope there's a range near by where the wife can try out the LCR.
There are no gun shops around here where she test fire a gun before purchase. The best we can we can do handle it. Shes use to my model 60 5shot .357. And we can shoot in the backyard anytime. Im just thinking somthing lighter and hammerless.
Children should be educated and instructed in the principles of freedom.

John Adams

User avatar
Sig_Ocelot
* * * * *
Posts: 2526
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:53 pm

Re: Ruger LCR, for the wife to carry?

Post by Sig_Ocelot » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:28 pm

jeepgunman wrote:
Sig_Ocelot wrote:
In all seriousness, asking a message board isn't the best idear for choosing a carry piece. I sure hope there's a range near by where the wife can try out the LCR.
There are no gun shops around here where she test fire a gun before purchase. The best we can we can do handle it. Shes use to my model 60 5shot .357. And we can shoot in the backyard anytime. Im just thinking somthing lighter and hammerless.
Worse comes to worse you can sell it if you absolutely hate it. Probably won't lose more than $40.
Rush2112 wrote: Somehow I see this phrase ending a lot of sentences in the future:

"...And that's how Sig lost his [eyesight/fingers]."

Rock_Steady
*
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:30 am
Location: West Virginia

Re: Ruger LCR, for the wife to carry?

Post by Rock_Steady » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:14 pm

I shot my buddies this weekend. We were mostly shooting my handloads, which are made a bit anemic for the sake of practice. I had no more difficulty with the recoil than I do my S&W airweight in .38+p. The bore axis feels a bit lower so it was pretty easy to get back on target.

We each put a cylinder of +p remington through it (some HP round, forget the weight) and while it was a bit snappy, I don't think I'd consider it bad.

I don't know if it matters, I'm a big ham-fisted guy, and it wasn't punishing at all. YMMV, especially if your wife isn't a big ham -fisted guy. :)
"You any good with that shotgun?"
"Not that I have to be at this range, but I'm a fucking surgeon with this shotgun."

User avatar
parabarbarian
* * *
Posts: 321
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:50 pm
Location: Southern California

Re: Ruger LCR, for the wife to carry?

Post by parabarbarian » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:38 pm

I don't know if your wife will like but I think the LCR is a pretty good gun. I've shot a couple that belonged to friends and I like them. I might buy one but I already have three snubbies so adding another not a priority. If recoil is an issue then try the Federal 125 gr nyclads for carry. I use then in my 442 for EDC and the Speer Lawman 125 gr TMJ for practice. For me the POI difference is less than 1/2 inch at 10 yards. As usual, YMMV.
Of course I carry a gun! It gives me a chance against the sinners and protection from the righteous.

jeepgunman
* *
Posts: 232
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:17 pm
Location: lehigh Valley Pa

Re: Ruger LCR, for the wife to carry?

Post by jeepgunman » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:09 am

Ok. I went to Cabelas yesterday and held the LCR. I must say it is awful light. Im sure the wife will like it however I would worry about +p recoil for her. Next step is to let her hold one. Thanks for all your replies.

One more thing, Cabelas had Mosin Nagants on sale for $99. So I bought 3.
Children should be educated and instructed in the principles of freedom.

John Adams

RatDrall
* * *
Posts: 647
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:43 pm

Re: Ruger LCR, for the wife to carry?

Post by RatDrall » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:54 am

Shooting the gun is way different from holding it. I fired the little Ruger for the first time a few weeks ago and it was very snappy and hard to hang onto.

My wife was interested in carrying a little .380 until she shot one. She has a Ruger SP101 that she shoots very well thanks to the weight and double action trigger (no flinching) even with +P .38 special. Now she's learning Kali, knife stuff, because she can carry a small knife with all of her outfits, not so much with the gun.

Oh yeah, make sure your wife can pull the slide back, those blowbacks can be hard to operate...

User avatar
Spartan299
* * *
Posts: 376
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:39 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: No favorites.
Location: Western Nunyaphukinbidness

Re: Ruger LCR, for the wife to carry?

Post by Spartan299 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:56 am

Bought an LCR for my wife several month ago and she loves it. Trigger is good, recoil is managable for her (she's 5'7 and 120 lbs), it's easy to maintain, and easy to operate.

I have been known to use it as a backup gun from time to time.
"Proelium Comminus Auctoritate"
NRA Pistol/Rifle Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
Image

Post Reply

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”