So I bought a Hi-point today

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

grand94jeep
Favorite Zombie Movies: All Zombie movies. Even the bad ones

Post by grand94jeep » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:41 pm

$119.95 w/ one mag.

Couldn't pass it up. It is used, but only lightly. There's hardly any wear on the internals.

I've been wanting to buy a cheap "car" gun. For that price, I couldn't pass it up.

Going to the range with it tomorrow.

BTW, any Hi-point owners out there ever try the "ghost ring" sight included?

ETA: Forgot to say this is the pistol :oops:
Last edited by grand94jeep on Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
,=====o00o _
//___l__,\____\,__
l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
(o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
~Ronald Reagan~

Hoppy
Favorite Zombie Movies: all of them. except Diary of The Dead.

Re: So I bought a Hi-point today

Post by Hoppy » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:42 pm

im assuming this is a carbine?

i like the standard sights, plenty accurate enough
No one has a sense for the dramatic.

nimdabew
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD
I am ledgend

Post by nimdabew » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:45 pm

Huh. Hi-point... Can't say much about their handguns, but their carbines are ok I guess?
Thanks Anianna!
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:I say when Wee Drop visits the US, we make her ride a goat. You know, like those little monkey cowboys they have at some rodeos. :lol:

Gatorfarmer

Post by Gatorfarmer » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:47 pm

That would be a good price for a carbine, run of the mill for a pistol. There's a Hi Point owners forum on the web if you google it.

ninja steve

Post by ninja steve » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:39 pm

Must be something in the air today... I bought a hi-point also, the 9mm handgun. Was going to buy some 7.62 but I've been wanting a handgun to play with. Shot 50 rounds it didnt feed on the second shot, but every other one was fine. My ghost ring that came with it was bent so its not going on the gun. Overall it feels fine, shoots fine, and 9mm is cheaper than I thought. Going to take it to a range with the wife and see what happens.

grand94jeep

Post by grand94jeep » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:52 pm

Well, I'd have probably never bought up this gun if not for the article written in HANDGUNNER magazine. The author was shooting the .380 version. He gave it very high marks and endorsed it. I'd always considered one for a cheap car/truck gun. If it ever got lost/stolen/damaged, I wouldn't be out much.

Sure, it's heavy, clunky, and extremely top and front heavy. Not to mention the grips suck. I figure hell, I'll give it a try. For what I want it for, it should suffice. And, since I always have a CCW on me, this'll just be a BUG, if necessary.

The 9mm is almost the same specs as the .380, with the same magazine capacity. When I ran across the 9mm today, I couldn't pass it up.

Best case senerio... my buddy just bought a 9mm Hi-point Carbine. He said he wants a cheap gun to leave in his Jeep. Hell, if I don't like it, I'll sell it to him. :mrgreen:
,=====o00o _
//___l__,\____\,__
(o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
~Ronald Reagan~

Sig_Ocelot

Post by Sig_Ocelot » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:13 pm

For a 'car gun' I would advise against it. Why? I figure the place you are MOST likely to ever use your gun is in your car. I've had several close calls myself. Now, I commend you for keeping a handgun in your car, but why have a premo defense gun in your house, which you probably won't use, and a POS in your car, which you stand a much higher chance of using.

In any event, I sincerely hope you enjoy it, and you never have to use it.
Rush2112 wrote: Somehow I see this phrase ending a lot of sentences in the future:

"...And that's how Sig lost his [eyesight/fingers]."

SMoAF
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by SMoAF » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:14 pm

grand94jeep wrote:Well, I'd have probably never bought up this gun if not for the article written in HANDGUNNER magazine.

You really, REALLY shouldn't trust the media. Often, articles about products are little more than commercials. If an author writes negative articles, the companies that make the stuff will stop sending the author freebies, et cetera. Also, the companies involved generally advertize in the magazines, so a bad article may cause them to pull their ads, costing the magazines advertizing revenue.

As far as the regular media, it's my opinion that they couldn't find their asses if they used both hands. In my experience, the only way they get even basic facts straight is if the police issue a press release, and they quote it. Often, again in my experience, they routinely are so far off-base that it's difficult to identify the incident that they are "reporting" on unless they give specific names of those involved.
"Betrayed by the land that bore us; Forlorn by those we hold dear.
The Good have all gone before us, and only the Wicked are here.
So stand to, your glasses ready, for the world is a world full of lies.
Here's to those gone before us, and here's to the next man who dies."

Gatorfarmer

Post by Gatorfarmer » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:16 pm

grand94jeep wrote:Well, I'd have probably never bought up this gun if not for the article written in HANDGUNNER magazine. The author was shooting the .380 version. He gave it very high marks and endorsed it. I'd always considered one for a cheap car/truck gun. If it ever got lost/stolen/damaged, I wouldn't be out much.
Did there happen to be a Hi Point advertisement in the mag? How it works is that a maker buys ad space, and a gun magazine then reviews their product, almost always in glowing terms. ( One could tout Nerf guns as the next greatest less than lethal device, buy out the full color back pages for a year, and get glowing reviews and column space about what a great idea it is.)

That said, many people are quite happy with their Hi Points. Others would rather have a nicely shaped rock. Shrug. Never owned one, probably never will. I'd think that for a beater gun it'd work so long as your example is reliable.

Ufdyixcaff

Post by Ufdyixcaff » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:18 pm

Seriously though, Its worth about what you paid for it, so the fact you took a magazine endorsement at face value is only slightly funny. And for those moments where your CCW has gone down, your pointy stick has gone dull and strong language doesnt look like its going to do much good, you can always throw that Hi-Point at them - not totally worthless at all.

grand94jeep

Post by grand94jeep » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:07 am

I know it's a turd of a gun, but for $120 I figured I'd buy it and then formulate my own opinions about it. I spent quite a bit of time with my buddies Hi-Point Carbine on sunday. True, it may not be as cool as the AR, or as dead nuts reliable as an AK, but it'll get the job done.
Seriously though, Its worth about what you paid for it, so the fact you took a magazine endorsement at face value is only slightly funny
The article just gave me a little push, to try it myself. I don't tend to buy much into what the media says.
Did there happen to be a Hi Point advertisement in the mag?
And yes, there might have been an ad, but I'm not gonna re-read the whole mag. They also tested Kahr, Kel-Tec, Ruger LCPs, Bersa's and Walther PPK.
ETA: I went thru the entire mag. Other than the article, not a single picture or ad for Hi-Point

For the record, I own 2 of the guns they tested. I now own the Hi-point to try it out too.

I've read everything from people who love these guns, despite their down falls; to people who down right despise them (but have never owned one). Hell, if it breaks in a year, so what. But again, I'll formulate an opinion then.
For a 'car gun' I would advise against it. Why? I figure the place you are MOST likely to ever use your gun is in your car. I've had several close calls myself. Now, I commend you for keeping a handgun in your car, but why have a premo defense gun in your house, which you probably won't use, and a POS in your car, which you stand a much higher chance of using.

I always have my CCW on me. This'll just be a BUG. If I'm in such trouble that my CCW can't get me out of, the Hi-point won't make a difference anyways. :?

I appreciate the opinions though.

Either way, I'll let yall know what I think of the gun. If all of you nay-sayers are right, I'll fully own up to a bad purchase and the "I told you so"s. :mrgreen:
,=====o00o _
//___l__,\____\,__
(o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

~Ronald Reagan~

AZMedic

Post by AZMedic » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:54 am

Ya you bought my old toaster. But it still throws lead right?

Ok I have to admit I want to buy a hi point because well im not a fan of them but (story time coming)

Im talking to a friend that doesnt have much money and she wanted a range gun. I said well you can get a hi point for about nothing to start with.....this guy buts in and says hi points are trash....I reply well they do make them out of old toasters. The other guy was pretty pissed at him and didn't say anything else.
Take Action.
I am a Paramedic.
ZS Arizona Chapter 18: Officer

Front Offensive Line of SpamWar 6/10:Axis of Oxycontin8878 I was a warrior.
Rush2112 wrote:
the_alias wrote:
AZMedic wrote:'86 damn almost missed this cutoff. I remember baywatch ya then I became a lifeguard and was like wtf this isn't the same......
I honestly thought you were around 45 + :lol:
He's crotchety enough.

Space Jockey
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead
Land of the Dead
Dawn of the Dead 2004
Night of the Living Dead

Post by Space Jockey » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:17 am

I am considering buying one. It's intended purpose will be to stay double ziplock sealed in my toilet tank on the occasion that I'm in the shower and shit happens. Really that is what it's going to be for. No kids at home and I don't know of many who play with toilet tank lids anyway. I wouldn't want to put 10,000 rounds through one, but a few hundred for practice then into "storage" would work for its needs. I'm against the using it in your car because of reason stated below...reliability. Get a good gun to put in your car. If you CCW carry the most reliable handgun you own in the car and leave the emergency last chance pistol at home, it's made to be a last chance pistol.

As a prospective buyer, I am interested in your upcoming range report, please keep me informed.
Fortis fortuna adiuvat

Gun control isn't about guns, it's about control.

IllicitDreams
Favorite Zombie Movies: Most anything Romero, Shaun Of The Dead, 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later, you know the basics...

Post by IllicitDreams » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:20 am

grand94jeep wrote: BTW, any Hi-point owners out there ever try the "ghost ring" sight included?
I have. I like it better than the standard rear sight.
ImageImage
My Pocket Survival Kit/My EDC/My Blog

CERT Volunteer, Amateur Radio Operator, SKYWARN Certified Storm Spotter

wolf_from_wv

Post by wolf_from_wv » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:53 am

I tried the ghost ring sight for about 10 minutes, and then changed it back. I like the regular sight better.

I haven't had any problems with mine. I've carried it in the woods.

If it breaks in a year, send it back and they'll fix it.
Strength Of My Life, whom shall I dread?
When them evildoers approach to devour my flesh.
Even if there would be an army against me,
My heart would not fear.
-P.O.D.

cheech_sp

Post by cheech_sp » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:51 am

Hi point? I guess you think your life is only worth $120! My life is worth at least $450 thats why I bought a GloX&P. :roll:

In all seriousness, sometimes the mag lips can get bent out of shape (can be readjusted with pliers), and some people recommend keeping new mags loaded for a few days to break the spring in. After a break in of a few hundred rounds, they are supposed to be very reliable guns.

And yes, there is a pic on the internet of a broken Hi Point, every gun model has a few lemons. There are plenty of pics of broken guns from other manufacturers too.

Have fun, and let us know if owning a Hi Point summons the apocalypse.

lailr
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, I am Legend, Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)

Post by lailr » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:53 am

I really hate the ghost ring sight.........that's what mine's for now, a beater...........BUT, mine's always fired reliably in the 10 years I've had it...........Probably had about 5,000 rds through since I turned 21 and was looking for something I could afford...........peole do have problems with them, but mines been great....

Leethal
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later

Post by Leethal » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:54 am

If it shoots, awesome! If not, you're only out $120. I see no problem with this, especially since you already own other firearms. Let us know how it runs.

I don't like the feel of the HiPoints, and strongly encourage folks to collect change to buy a tool with a better rep, but I know some of y'all are hurting pretty bad and you gotta do what you gotta do.
Jvandenhaus wrote:This is why we can't have nice things.
Neal Boortz wrote:"Robin Hood didn't, as most people believe, 'take from the rich to give to the poor.' He actually took from the government. Small but important point."

BobtheBreaker
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD 04
LotD
Resident Evil
Evil Dead Trilogy?

Post by BobtheBreaker » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:35 am

Sounds like you read a round up article on 380's. As for the actual gun itself, make sure you fully vett it before you put it in service. Hi-Points are interested little pieces or work.
.22LR/.357/Cheese Cake/SAK/Grey Wire
If you can't laugh at yourself, you're in trouble.
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast

Security Guard/Wilderness First Aid/CPR for the Professional/HAM Technician

gelgoog

Post by gelgoog » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:12 pm

Sig_Ocelot wrote:For a 'car gun' I would advise against it. Why? I figure the place you are MOST likely to ever use your gun is in your car. I've had several close calls myself. Now, I commend you for keeping a handgun in your car, but why have a premo defense gun in your house, which you probably won't use, and a POS in your car, which you stand a much higher chance of using.

This is my opinion as well. Not to knock the high point, but there are a lot of "cheap guns" out there that are at least a lot more aesthetically and ergonomically pleasing that run about the same as far as cash goes. For instance the surplus CZ-82 for $150, a Kel-tec PF-9 for $230, PA-63 for $140, etc.

SteveD

Post by SteveD » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:49 pm

A freind and myself both have Hi_Points plus others name brands of guns. One evening last year we decided to give them (the hi points) a little test. We had a 9mm, plus.40 and a .45 .pistols.We In one evening we put 600 rounds thru them. the 9mm and the .40 were flawless. the .45 had some minor loading problems. It does help if you have a firm grip on the pistol when shooting them since they are a blow back design.(people with noodle hand shakes will get FTE's) With some practice I am able to get in the low 4's pin shooting w/my .40.
And if some one wants to bring me a thousand round to shoot in one day I'll do it to test it that far.
if all else fails, accelerate!
KC9UMT

grand94jeep

Post by grand94jeep » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:11 pm

gelgoog wrote:
Sig_Ocelot wrote:For a 'car gun' I would advise against it. Why? I figure the place you are MOST likely to ever use your gun is in your car. I've had several close calls myself. Now, I commend you for keeping a handgun in your car, but why have a premo defense gun in your house, which you probably won't use, and a POS in your car, which you stand a much higher chance of using.

This is my opinion as well. Not to knock the high point, but there are a lot of "cheap guns" out there that are at least a lot more aesthetically and ergonomically pleasing that run about the same as far as cash goes. For instance the surplus CZ-82 for $150, a Kel-tec PF-9 for $230, PA-63 for $140, etc.

Ok, so maybe I'll change my mind about using it as a car gun. I'm waiting for my Father-in-law to get up from his nap(hemodialysis makes him weak), and we'll go to the range. Depending on how this gun does decides what I utimately do with it. I've spent most of the night and the morning reading about them, incase I run into trouble at the range.

Personally, I can't jusitfy a more expensive gun in the car. Especially considering it may get stolen or damaged. Right now I'm "ballin' on a budget". This gun fit the budget, as my wife won't let me spend any more on guns. Also, I'm not leaving any of my much nicer guns to sit in a car all the time.

We will see.

I'll report back later. :wink:
,=====o00o _
//___l__,\____\,__
(o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

~Ronald Reagan~

Bluito23

Post by Bluito23 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:24 pm

I would not trust my life on a Hi-Point gun or carbine. I have bought guns on the cheap, but I scored on lucky deals.

My best sub 200.00 handgun deals have been my NAA 22WM Mini-Mag paid 125.00 used and my E German Makarov for 105.00 out the door. I did get a free SW Model 10 snub nosed, but I sold that for 200.00.

Mark

Gatorfarmer

Post by Gatorfarmer » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:59 pm

Space Jockey wrote:I am considering buying one. It's intended purpose will be to stay double ziplock sealed in my toilet tank on the occasion that I'm in the shower and shit happens. Really that is what it's going to be for. No kids at home and I don't know of many who play with toilet tank lids anyway.
Use an Aloksak bag or something and put a dessicant cannister in there if you are going to do that.

Glocks are the prefered gun for storing in your toilet of course, but eh...

You do know that you could just run naked and wet into another room and grab something like an M4 clone hanging off a hook in the same amount of time it would take to retrieve a gun from the toilet tank, right?

Mind you that if you really need a last chance pistol, you need that last chance pistol to work without question since if you need it, you really need it.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”