What have you bought in the last 48 hours?(firearms related)

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

The Twizzler
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead

Re: What have you bought in the last 48 hours?(firearms related)

Post by The Twizzler » Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:50 pm

1918 Italian Carcano Terni Model in 6.5 with bent bolt and 2000 meter adjustable sight. It needs a little TLC- cleaning, and the safety isn't working right now, but the barrel is good and so are the sights. Now I just need to find some ammo and clips ( I only have 1).
Interesting facts:
1. Clip holds 6 rounds
2. Made continuously from 1891-1945
3. The carbine version was used to kill JFK

Pics aren't mine but representative

"Oh Bother!" said Pooh, as he drew his dagger...

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:53 pm

The Twizzler wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:50 pm
1918 Italian Carcano Terni Model in 6.5 with bent bolt and 2000 meter adjustable sight. It needs a little TLC- cleaning, and the safety isn't working right now, but the barrel is good and so are the sights. Now I just need to find some ammo and clips ( I only have 1).
Interesting facts:
1. Clip holds 6 rounds

I think Liberty Tree Collectors might have some clips for your Carcano, Twizzler.

Sarco may have some as well.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:15 pm

Got the coat and tried it on only to find either I've gotten fatter (weight is still the same so unlikely) or that it ran a little small (most likely). I could zip it, but with a gun in it, I was going to print like crazy. I considered exchanging it for a larger size but the other big issue was that the color and fabric (black canvas) combined to make it a literal cat hair magnet. I actually saw a few strands of my long-haired ginger's superfine fur drifting and suddenly swerve to cling to the jacket. I'd have to carry a lint roller in the other gun pocket, so it's getting returned for a full refund.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

tony d tiger

Post by tony d tiger » Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:25 am

https://www.olightstore.com/odin-mini.html - actually, a package deal on black Friday that arrived today. Got the mlok and a couple hand held lights for a hunnert bucks. :awesome:

Now I just need a good sling with a quick disconnect swivel.
Tony D Tiger

Phil
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead. Certain newscasts.

Post by Phil » Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:50 am

I didn't purchase it in the last 48 hours, but received 100 rounds of .30-06 as a surprise yesterday. This package was listed as lost by FedEx last week and I had given up, requesting a refund from the seller.
I really need to get setup for reloading this round because retail prices are non sustainable if I want to feed this rifle reliably. Of course, a reloading setup will encourage me to invest in a .44 magnum, just because. :D
Phil Forrest
"you will not laugh, you will not cry, you will learn by the numbers, I will teach you!"
GYSGT Hartman, FMJ

WillyWinchester
Favorite Zombie Movies: Train to Busan, Evil Dead, Day of the Dead, 28 Days Later, Resident Evil series

Post by WillyWinchester » Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:25 am

Scored a sweet deal on some p365 mags from a guy down the street I shoot with sometimes. He wasn't using em... So I helped relieve him of them.
Like Brotato... your nose is falling off.

PistolPete

Post by PistolPete » Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:09 pm

Phil wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:50 am
I really need to get setup for reloading this round because retail prices are non sustainable if I want to feed this rifle reliably. Of course, a reloading setup will encourage me to invest in a .44 magnum, just because. :D
Phil Forrest
Right now primers are harder to get than 30-06 ammo, so it's not an ideal time. 44 mag is one of the most fun rounds to reload though, I think. There is so much variety possible!

I bought a 6.8 SPC bolt made by Daniel Defense from Primary Arms. I received a bolt in a package marked 6.8. I get to the range and realize (eventually) it's a 5.56 bolt. Of course by then it's got wear on it *and* they are sold out. So I have an extra 5.56 bolt. :lol:
Steemit, where I write stuff now

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:48 pm

The Twizzler wrote:
There are a few sellers on eBay offering Carcano clips. There's also a single shot adapter....

whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

The Twizzler
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead

Post by The Twizzler » Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:27 pm

Unfortunately they are also out as is everyone else unless you want to pay 70 bucks for 20 rounds.

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:53 pm
The Twizzler wrote:
Interesting facts:
1. Clip holds 6 rounds

I think Liberty Tree Collectors might have some clips for your Carcano, Twizzler.

Sarco may have some as well.
"Oh Bother!" said Pooh, as he drew his dagger...

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:40 pm

The Twizzler wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:27 pm
Unfortunately they are also out as is everyone else unless you want to pay 70 bucks for 20 rounds.
Yeah, you picked a bad time to get into the 6.5 Carcano game. With all those surplus Cavalry and Truppe Special carbines coming onto the market in the last few months, the number of people looking to purchase 6.5x52 Carcano ammo has probably gone up appreciably.
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

WillyWinchester
Favorite Zombie Movies: Train to Busan, Evil Dead, Day of the Dead, 28 Days Later, Resident Evil series

Post by WillyWinchester » Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:15 pm

Found some ammo cans at a yard sale... :D
Like Brotato... your nose is falling off.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:37 pm

Berne Echo One One CCW jacket and a Molle taco holster and double mag pouch to use with it.

Edit 01/09/21: Bought it, received it, returned it. I bought a 3XL Tall (I need that extra sleeve length and these supposedly ran small so I sized up from 2XL) and it fit me as if I were a little kid wearing dad's coat. I'll be purchasing it in 2XL Reg as soon as they approve the return and issue my credit.

Edit 01/22/21: Well, my coat that I returned via Priority Mail - 2 Day Delivery finally made it to Indiana from Virginia via the handicapped, arthritic, blind snail charged with carrying it there and I got my store credit a couple of hours later. A 2XL Regular has been ordered.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:04 am

I received a pair of factory Glock 33 round magazines and a pair of ETS 40 round magazines for my PC9 for Christmas.

So four mags total that I can use in both my PC9 and my G17.

boskone

Post by boskone » Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:21 pm

Picked up an inch-pound torque wrench and scope leveling doodad.

The results from the torque wrench were interesting, turns out I have no idea what 18 ft-lbs is; all of my scopes were torqued to maybe 12-14. (I'd actually expected I was over-torquing) Went through and retorqued all my scopes.

The scope levelling thing is far from perfect, but it's fast and about as good as I get by eyeball. My shooting requirements don't extend at this time to one of the fancier sets. Went through and levelled my scopes as I was retorquing them.

I'm of two minds about the mounting on my new rifle; I have it done, but the glossy scope rings on a matte everything else look odd. I'll leave them as-is and see if it still bothers me later.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:48 pm

boskone wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:21 pm

The results from the torque wrench were interesting, turns out I have no idea what 18 ft-lbs is; all of my scopes were torqued to maybe 12-14. (I'd actually expected I was over-torquing) Went through and retorqued all my scopes.

The scope levelling thing is far from perfect, but it's fast and about as good as I get by eyeball. My shooting requirements don't extend at this time to one of the fancier sets. Went through and levelled my scopes as I was retorquing them.

I'm of two minds about the mounting on my new rifle; I have it done, but the glossy scope rings on a matte everything else look odd. I'll leave them as-is and see if it still bothers me later.
You could always use that as an excuse to paint the entire rifle and have everything matching.

boskone

Post by boskone » Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:41 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:48 pm
boskone wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:21 pm

You could always use that as an excuse to paint the entire rifle and have everything matching.
The thought has occurred to me. It's an Axis rather than my nice 700 CDL, so I'm a bit more willing to mess with it.

Blast
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Girl With the Gifts

Post by Blast » Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:46 pm

Gun case from Harbor Freight, using a 25% off coupon.
https://www.harborfreight.com/9800-weat ... 64520.html
-Blast
Foraging Texas
Medicine Man Plant Co.
DrMerriwether on YouTube
Ham Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

boskone

Post by boskone » Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:26 am

Blast wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:46 pm
-Blast
I've a couple of their pistol cases. They're actually pretty impressive for their price, and perfectly suitable to my needs.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:31 am

boskone wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:26 am
Blast wrote:
-Blast
I've a couple of their pistol cases. They're actually pretty impressive for their price, and perfectly suitable to my needs.
Word to the wise, I've heard of these shattering if hit while below freezing. I've also heard of hinge pins being removed and the contents removed while locked cases were in transit. YMMV and they may have corrected the issues by now.

Current Weather in My AO

Blast
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Girl With the Gifts

Post by Blast » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:13 am

NT2C wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:31 am
Word to the wise, I've heard of these shattering if hit while below freezing. I've also heard of hinge pins being removed and the contents removed while locked cases were in transit. YMMV and they may have corrected the issues by now.
Thank you for the warning! Its main use will be to protect the firearms and gear from the weather on hunting-camping trips here in Texas. Rain can be an issue but freezing temperatures not so much...thank God! I don't expect to fly anywhere where I'll want to bring my guns but I'll take a look at the hinges and see if there's anything I can do to reinforce them.
The case is much heavier than I expected but hopefully that's due to thick/tough plastic construction. Using the coupon made the walk-out-the-door price $120 which seems reasonable for what I got.
-Blast
Foraging Texas
Medicine Man Plant Co.
DrMerriwether on YouTube
Ham Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:59 am

Blast wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:13 am
NT2C wrote:
Thank you for the warning! Its main use will be to protect the firearms and gear from the weather on hunting-camping trips here in Texas. Rain can be an issue but freezing temperatures not so much...thank God! I don't expect to fly anywhere where I'll want to bring my guns but I'll take a look at the hinges and see if there's anything I can do to reinforce them.
The case is much heavier than I expected but hopefully that's due to thick/tough plastic construction. Using the coupon made the walk-out-the-door price $120 which seems reasonable for what I got.
-Blast
I bought one of these not so long ago and it's not a bad alternative to my usual Plano or Pelican brand cases, though it does have issues with the hinge pins being easily removed. I'll be addressing that with some epoxy putty soon.

Current Weather in My AO

boskone

Post by boskone » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:08 pm

NT2C wrote:
boskone wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:26 am
Blast wrote:
-Blast
Dunno about freezing, as it doesn't do that often here; I'd have to do some work to find a place to actually freeze it. If it's like other plastic cases I've dealt with, it'd need to be frozen for a while before becoming brittle, and it doesn't get cold enough--long enough--this close to the coast. Maybe up my parents' way.

The hinge pins on my Apache pistol case are blind, same as the ones on the Pelican and Plano Tactical cases. Actually, the ones on the Plano are sticking out a bit; I should look that over to see if they're working their way out, or just need to be nipped.

In any of those cases, the pins probably could be removed with a good set of bent needlenose pliers, but not particularly easily.

I do have "overhaul gun cases" on my to-do list. I have one that's worn out, 2 that are junk Flambeau, 1 that's just beat plum to shit, and not enough to actually case all my guns if I needed to.

PistolPete

Post by PistolPete » Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:42 pm

Ordered a peep sight from Steve's Guns for my Rossi 92. The older I get, the more I like peep sights, hopefully this will work well. I love the Rossi rifles for being handy, but they don't lend well to optic mounting.
Steemit, where I write stuff now

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

woodsghost
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by woodsghost » Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:30 pm

Speaking of sights, I got XS Big Dots (Express style sights) for my rifle. It should be faster and easier to use under stress while not adding the weight of an optic mount and optic. Groups should open up a little but should still be very usable at any range I am capable of hitting things (on purpose).

Fiddling around with an installed package, I like it, but I'll have to sight in and do drills to know for sure if it is good or not.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”