What have you bought in the last 48 hours?(firearms related)

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

PistolPete

Re: What have you bought in the last 48 hours?(firearms related)

Post by PistolPete » Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:43 am

Got a Faxon pencil barrel for a build for my sweetie. Recent events have her thinking that she needs her own AR, that perhaps certain events may call for more than a shotgun.
Steemit, where I write stuff now

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

HarlequinHal

Post by HarlequinHal » Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:33 pm

Picked up an Eotech 512 for my Kel-Tec RDB to replace a cheap red dot. Was on the fence about the purchase, but saw that Eotech has been bought out by an investment company so wanted to get one before the MBA suits ruin them. I've had a 512 on my AR15 for years and love it. Sure hate to see a good company get Remingtonized.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:25 pm

Picked up a pair of AR-15 Pmags at a local hardware store.

I initially went into the store with my oldest nephew to grab some bolts to fix his family's swimming pool. We both saw the display the store had with various mags, so I grabbed a pair for myself.

Nephew got his bolts and I got some more mags to add to my current number. :lol:

jor-el

Post by jor-el » Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:24 pm

Ammo.
My son, you will travel far, but never be alone, for I am with you, my M14 and battle axe comfort you.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:35 pm

Picked up another two boxes of Hornady Black .45 ACP ammo today.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:31 am

• AR-STONER Ambidextrous Safety Selector
  • Strike Industries Enhanced Bolt Catch
  • AR-STONER Anti-Rotation Hammer and Trigger Pin Set
  • Viking Solutions AR500 Steel 3/8" Rifle Spinner Target
Caught a 50% off sale on that last item at Midway.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:10 pm

I didn't actually buy it but a neighbor who was moving asked if I could dispose of some old ammo for them. When I said yes they gifted me a cardboard box filled with about 100 rounds of 30-06 softpoints from the 1940s through 1960s :shock:

It'll be interesting to see if they work.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

boskone

Post by boskone » Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:13 pm

NT2C wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:10 pm
I didn't actually buy it but a neighbor who was moving asked if I could dispose of some old ammo for them. When I said yes they gifted me a cardboard box filled with about 100 rounds of 30-06 softpoints from the 1940s through 1960s :shock:

We shot some 40-45 year old ammo through dad's M1903 when he got it, and it shot fine.

We ran some more through my M1, and internet claims to the contrary it also shot just fine.

(I do still want to put an adjustable gas block in my Garand, in order to tame the recoil a bit. It's not that bad, but if you can inexpensively reduce it without impeding functionality why not?)

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:16 pm

NT2C wrote:

Neat.

Only ammo I ever got gifted was some Winchester 9mm FMJ ammo (back before I owned a 9mm) and some 12 gauge loads filled with rocksalt. Neither of which I could use.

Ended up giving the 9mm ammo to a friend and I destroyed the 12 gauge handloads because I wasn't sure of the legalities of rocksalt loads at the time.

On topic, I picked up three more Pmags for my AR. Two of them are I guess hydrodipped in some camo pattern and one is just a plain Pmag.

The weird thing is the plain Pmag cost more than the custom painted ones. 16.99 versus 11.99 at my local hardware store.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:39 pm

NT2C wrote:

Some of those are reloaded military brass. They probably all are reloaded if I were guessing. I'd be careful what I shot them through.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:23 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:16 pm
The weird thing is the plain Pmag cost more than the custom painted ones. 16.99 versus 11.99 at my local hardware store.
That's quite a difference :?

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:39 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:23 pm
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
I'd have figured the painted ones would be the more expensive one, to be honest. Academy in Odessa has Pmags for about 15 bucks, so 16 bucks for one isn't too out of the norm down here.

At least they used to have Pmags for 15 bucks. They've been out of stock for about a month now.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:15 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:39 pm
NT2C wrote:

(pics removed)

Some of those are reloaded military brass. They probably all are reloaded if I were guessing. I'd be careful what I shot them through.
The neighbor is in his late 30s and said it was in his grandfather's house when they cleaned it out after he passed. Could be reloads, could be original.

Edit to add: After a more careful look through the rounds I agree, they're all once fired brass that's been reloaded. Even found five in there with Nosler green tips loaded in them. Wish I knew more about the powder and charge so I could decide if they're going to be "plinking" ammo or something to take elk with at my new place. :?

Current Weather in My AO

majorhavoc
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:40 pm

NT2C wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:15 pm
Stercutus wrote:
NT2C wrote:

The neighbor is in his late 30s and said it was in his grandfather's house when they cleaned it out after he passed. Could be reloads, could be original.
Do you reload? Shoot 'em at the range, enjoy and reuse the brass ...

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:52 pm

majorhavoc wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:40 pm
NT2C wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:15 pm
Stercutus wrote:
NT2C wrote:

Do you reload? Shoot 'em at the range, enjoy and reuse the brass ...
I'm not a reloader at the moment (used to but all my reloading gear is gone now) so these will likely sit around until I get two things, something to shoot them in and something to reload them with.

Current Weather in My AO

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by 91Eunozs » Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:43 pm

Some booze? :lol:

Traded a few hundred rounds of 300BLK and 9mm to a friend in exchange for a couple bottles of some Bourbon I’ve had trouble finding for awhile. He’s also gonna take some of my reloading supplies I haven’t had time to work through and roll us both some more 300BLK.
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 91Eunozs » Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:47 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:39 pm
MPMalloy wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:23 pm
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
I'd have figured the painted ones would be the more expensive one, to be honest. Academy in Odessa has Pmags for about 15 bucks, so 16 bucks for one isn't too out of the norm down here.

At least they used to have Pmags for 15 bucks. They've been out of stock for about a month now.
PSA has them for $12.30 right now ... and aluminum D&H GI mags for $9.99

https://palmettostatearmory.com/magpul- ... 1-blk.html

https://palmettostatearmory.com/d-h-5-5 ... -8416.html
Last edited by 91Eunozs on Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

majorhavoc
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by majorhavoc » Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:49 pm

91Eunozs wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:43 pm

Traded a few hundred rounds of 300BLK and 9mm to a friend in exchange for a couple bottles of some Bourbon I’ve had trouble finding for awhile. He’s also gonna take some of my reloading supplies I haven’t had time to work through and roll us both some more 300BLK.
Oh, do tell. What specific bourbon did you get?

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 91Eunozs » Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:06 pm

majorhavoc wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:49 pm
91Eunozs wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:43 pm

A bottle of Blanton's (I’m down to my last one plus a finger or two of another), One of Eagle Rare, and one or two Weller 12...might be able to get me an EH Taylor as well. Well fixed on everything else, just running low on my preferred Bourbon and good rye...my current plight:

If he comes through with the case of Blanton’s he thinks he can get via a wholesaler he knows, I just might have his babies! :lol:

I used to buy it by the case, but then it got popular and I can never find it anymore.

majorhavoc
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by majorhavoc » Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:22 pm

91Eunozs wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:06 pm
majorhavoc wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:49 pm

A bottle of Blanton's (I’m down to my last one plus a finger or two of another), One of Eagle Rare, and one or two Weller 12...might be able to get me an EH Taylor as well. Well fixed on everything else, just running low on my preferred Bourbon and good rye...my current plight:

If he comes through with the case of Blanton’s he thinks he can get via a wholesaler he knows, I just might have his babies! :lol:

I used to buy it by the case, but then it got popular and I can never find it anymore.
A lovely collection. Of those I'm familiar with Buffalo Trace and Jefferson's. Looks like your taste (or perhaps budget) in bourbon is a rung or two higher than mine. Right now I'm enjoying Woodford's Reserve and Larceny Small Batch. After the first or second, I switch over to Evan Williams. At that point I can't discern quality from mediocrity anyway. I've also tried Elijah Craig (excellent IMHO), Tin Cup (a disappointment) and The Walking Dead, part of the 'Spirits of the Apocalypse' line (bloody awful). Hey, isn't this thread supposed to be about firearms?

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:51 am

Ahem, gents? Might I suggest that the Winchester would be a good place for this discussion?

Current Weather in My AO

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 91Eunozs » Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:14 am

NT2C wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:51 am
Ahem, gents? Might I suggest that the Winchester would be a good place for this discussion?
:lol: You got it...

OT: Bought some factory Glock 21 mags in anticipation of an upcoming PCC build...and a few boxes of 450 Bushmaster (450BM is the only thing I shoot that’s actually in stock lately).

Gave me the impetus to finally semi-organize the work bench and freedom seed vault again, and wound up adding another (yet to be labeled) can of 9mm. Also upgraded the 450BM from a 30-caliber can to a 50-cal can from all the random boxes I’ve purchased over the past few months...and still have 4 extra boxes. Guess I better head to the range or take some time off work for a pig hunt!

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:42 am

91Eunozs wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:14 am
Beauty :ooh:

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 91Eunozs » Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:12 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:42 am
91Eunozs wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:14 am
Beauty :ooh:
More like peace of mind for me...knowing I don’t need to look for what I need/want right now is priceless.

Beautiful to me is a fully stocked pantry and a pretty deep supply of long-term storage freeze dried foods. Even more beautiful will be when we get our new place built, the well sunk, and the garden in!

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”