BSA Sweet .17

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

mike1438
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead 2004
28 Days/Weeks Later
Resident Evil (all of them)

BSA Sweet .17

Post by mike1438 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:33 pm

Hello fellas, I recently got a savage .17hmr and am now looking for a decent scope to mount on it. Right now I am using a cheap simmons 3-9x32. While this scope does work, I would like something with a little higher power. While searching, I came up with the BSA Sweet .17. Apparantly this scope was made just for the .17 hmr. The features of this scope seem perfect for what I want (not too expensive, highish power, made for the .17). The only reason I havn't gotten it is because I heard a few guys at the range a few weeks ago bitching about BSA optics. At the time I wasn't in the market for a new scope so I didn't pay much attention, but it was enough for me to want to ask a second opinion.

Here are my questions:
Is the BSA Sweet .17 a decent scope? (obviously it's no leupold)
Will it hold a zero?
Is it clear? (at least as clear as the simmons I'm using now)

By the way, here's a link: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... ber=426674" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks guys.

TravisM.1

Re: BSA Sweet .17

Post by TravisM.1 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:49 pm

In my experience with them, they hold zero as long as you don't use the adjustment knobs after zeroing. The ones I've messed with haven't returned to zero at the zeroing range after being dialed back from a longer range.

Clarity and quality are on par with other scopes in the same price range.
You get what you pay for.
I sold my soul to the devil for a .45, a black cowboy hat and a switchblade knife.......

mike1438
28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by mike1438 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:20 pm

TravisM.1 wrote:In my experience with them, they hold zero as long as you don't use the adjustment knobs after zeroing. The ones I've messed with haven't returned to zero at the zeroing range after being dialed back from a longer range.
Well, I just bought one today (got 25% off and didn't want to pass it up). I think I understand what you're saying about not using the knobs, but just to clarify here is an example. Correct me if I'm wrong.

EX: If I were to zero it at 100 yards, then move to 200 yards and adjust for elevation, then move back to 100 yards and readjust for elevation, the scope would "loosen up" or something from turning the knobs too much?

So it would be fine if I were to just zero it and then hold high for longer shots?

At the store I looked through some other similarly priced scopes and they seemed about the same as far as clarity goes. Since I won't be shooting over 200 yards I think this scope will be fine as long as it holds zero.

MI-1Honkey

Post by MI-1Honkey » Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:00 pm

I think what Travis means is, after you zero it, if you click in windage or elevation, the number of clicks to return to zero wont necessarily be the same number of clicks you moved from zero. in other words it wont pass "The Box Test".

I have a BSA 8-32x50 contender on my Savage .17, still passes the box test after five years, has been bonked and tipped over a few times too. BSA's arent all garbage, but they aint Zeiss or US Optics either. My Brother has a 6-24x50 BSA on his .17, had to send it back once, the elevation knob quit working after he dropped the rifle. The new one they sent back has worked flawlessly ever since. One of our hunting buddies has a 3-12x40 Sweet .17 on his rifle, and feels like next time he'll get a scope with more magnification. We shoot informal bullseye before deer camp, and his cross hair completely covers the 1/2" bullseye at 100 yds. He's never said anything about it not holding zero tho. Yours should hold zero just fine, if it doesn't call BSA, in my experience they do stand behind their products.

Get out there and work them ground squirrels over. Ballistic tips leave them looking like they swallowed a hand grenade...

mike1438
28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by mike1438 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:47 pm

Oh, I see. So if I go 5 clicks up and then 5 clicks down it might not be in the same place as when i started? (before the 5 up).

P.S. I deffinately plan on killing some little critters with it, I just want some more range time first.

MI-1Honkey

Post by MI-1Honkey » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:08 pm

Im pretty sure thats what he meant. None of the BSA's I've used have had that problem. You'll have to try it out.

TravisM.1

Post by TravisM.1 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:31 pm

That's exactly what I meant. I almost put it in terms of failing the "box test", but then I thought, "am I smart enough to explain the "box test" in a way that won't make me sound like an idiot?"

But anyway, that's it. If you zero it for 100, turn the elevation adjustment for 200 yards, be it ten clicks or twenty clicks, the likelihood of it returning to zero after dialing back down those ten or twenty clicks is pretty low.

If you zero it for one range, just figure out your holdovers out to whatever range you want to shoot. It'll take practice, but it'll be way more reliable than the adjustments in an inexpensive scope. And really, if you're going to go that route, you don't need to pay extra for the function (or lack thereof, I guess) and can get by with a nice variable scope with an adjustable objective.
I know the guys over at RFC really like a line of scopes sold by Natchez and Sportsmans Guide called "Intensity".

Hopefully, you got a good one and it holds zero for you.

On my Savage, I've currently got a PFI "Rapid Reticle" 6x. On my "sporter weight" Marlin/Glenfield, I've got a Bushnell Banner 4x (that was made by Bausch and Lomb).
I sold my soul to the devil for a .45, a black cowboy hat and a switchblade knife.......

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”