Best sub-$200 pistol

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

AeSix
Favorite Zombie Movies: Sean of the Dead

Best sub-$200 pistol

Post by AeSix » Thu May 28, 2009 9:09 pm

I've looked on the forums and havn't really been able to answear the question...
but, what, if any, is the best new pistol for around $200, preferably less?

I'm looking at a small caliber, even a .22 would be OK. I'm also wanting a smaller size, but, if performance increases several times with something a little bit large for not that much more, it would be a more viable solution.

I'm planning to be on the road a lot, and I'm hoping to get my concealed weapons permit. So the idea is to have a pistol I will hopefully never need, but can access quickly and can conceal easily and completely . Think "vehical defense weapon" with a touch of "concealed holstered weapon" in there.
There was only ever one valid use for the notorious <blink> tag:
Schrodinger's cat isImagedead.
Why can't I open gmail? Am I really that evil?!! gFail! grrr

Summed up:
KTC Error
Replace Operater to continue.

Abacus
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: Best sub-$200 pistol

Post by Abacus » Thu May 28, 2009 9:14 pm

I'm not sure I can think of a new pistol that cost $200 or less that I would buy, let alone carry.

You sure you can't bump that up to $300, and/or relax that "new" restriction?
ImageImage

OrangeJoe
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later

Post by OrangeJoe » Thu May 28, 2009 9:14 pm

Industry leading warranty, yes[/
In your price point, yes
Highly praised by owners, yes
Ugly, yes

crypto wrote:The world has gone to shit, the undead are shambling at your doorstep, you've got a thousand pounds of beans in the basement, and you want your wife to shove a rubber thimble up her vag because you didnt stockpile tampons and pads?
Zoltan wrote:Drinking from bottles full of BPA makes me feel like a real man!

DaveJohns
Favorite Zombie Movies: C-SPAN!

Post by DaveJohns » Thu May 28, 2009 9:23 pm

New? I dont think there would be one that I totally depend on for $200. Now, in my experience (YMMV) one of my favorite pistols ever is a Polish P-64 using the 9x18 makarov round; you can find them all the time in the $150 - $200 range. I have put close to a thousand rounds thru mine, and have never EVER had a problem with it. It is very very concealable, much narrower profile and certainly easier to conceal than any Glock or similar handgun.

If you want new, I would recommend saving up for a little longer, and getting a well-known, well-respected brand name gun.
"It could be that the purpose of my life is simply to serve as a warning to others"

KJ4MVP

My FAK
My BoB
My stuff for sale!

I survived LA Camp and Shoot 09

Arcana71

Post by Arcana71 » Thu May 28, 2009 9:51 pm

While it won't be "new," there's a lot to be said for a surplus CZ-82.

Napalm{WmD}
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them. The crapy ones are a lesser favorite.

Post by Napalm{WmD} » Thu May 28, 2009 10:19 pm

for under $200 I'd have to say Hi-Point. However I'd save a little more and catch a S&W sigma on sale for $300. At least the sigma can be taken apart and cleaned easily.
Been on hiatus since 2011, then in 2019 realized it’s been a while. Still in central Florida still ready for the zombies.

Florida meet/camp? Pm me I’m interested.

by-the-throat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Dead Alive
Land of the Dead
Army of Darkness
Zombieland

Post by by-the-throat » Thu May 28, 2009 10:24 pm

Yeah, you aren't going to get much that's decent for 200 dollars new.

If I had under 200 bucks and needed to buy a handgun, I'd maybe get a cheap .38 revolver, one of the used Rossis can sometimes be had for 180 or so.

A C&R Nagant revolver is also a possibility. I've never fired one so I don't know how good they'd be for self defense, but they are pretty cool.
From The Codex Kalachnikova: "He who would have you surrender your arms does so because he wishes to do something you could prevent by their usage."
Last Call, Last Stand - The Crystal Menage - SF in Babylon - REMC Guide

avenger
Location: Central Texas or, somewhere in the middle of nowhere...

Post by avenger » Thu May 28, 2009 10:37 pm

Napalm{WmD} wrote:for under $200 I'd have to say Hi-Point. However I'd save a little more and catch a S&W sigma on sale for $300. At least the sigma can be taken apart and cleaned easily.
+1 If you look hard enough you might be able to get that Sigma for around $250 or so.

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Thu May 28, 2009 10:37 pm

If you can save $200 you can save $300.

Sigma.
Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.
Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

Kommander

Post by Kommander » Thu May 28, 2009 10:39 pm

Comblock surplus would proably be your best bet. A CZ-82 or something similar would work reasonably well.
Why must all the hoops be on fire?

Gatorfarmer

Post by Gatorfarmer » Thu May 28, 2009 10:41 pm

Sell your blood or sperm or some such and get a Sigma.

Boris

Post by Boris » Thu May 28, 2009 10:45 pm

Don't think anyone has mentioned trusting your life to a $200 piece of shit gun. Why not save up some more and feel confident in your weapon?
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-- Teddy Roosevelt

Kabong30
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead '78, 28 Days Later (not strictly zombie?) WWZ when it comes out :)

Post by Kabong30 » Thu May 28, 2009 10:46 pm

I'm gonna say that if you are going to spend the money to get your CCW, you really need to save up the dough for a decent, new pistol. I dunno, I bought an XD40sc myself, but if you're really pressed for cash I'd go to a pawn shop and see what can be found. I'd probably go for a revolver as they tend to endure abuse better than a semi-auto and you'll probably get a better gun for your money. Use the internet, there are lots of tutorials on buying used guns and things like that.

Gun Broker is also a good option. You'll have to pay an FFL for the transfer, but I've heard a lot of good things from folks who've bought from there.

Boris has an EXCELLENT point. Your life may depend on this gun. Go with the very best you can possibly afford.
"1911 mag, twinkie, twinkie, cupcake, primary weapon mag" - Chris Costa
Sig_Ocelot wrote:Nintendo drops the ball!!!! They don't make hybrid cars, what's up with that? I can't ride my Wii to work, this is bullshit. :evil:

Treacle_Man
Favorite Zombie Movies: George A. Ramero Flicks, Dead Alive, Shaun, the 28's

Post by Treacle_Man » Thu May 28, 2009 10:57 pm

i was in your same position for a bit. I didnt have the money to spend on something really nice/good. However, it took me so damn long to decide (during which time i kept saving) that I had enough to buy something good eventually *cough* glock *cough*. I would say wait on it if you can. The Sigma has been mentioned and while I have never fired/cant comment on the reliability of rugers, there are some ruger semi-autos that are decent in price. but last I checked they were even more than $300...

good luck on your decision, its a tough one. let us know what you choose (and pics or it didnt happen!)
Dave_M wrote:I think some of you guys are over thinking this.
ZombieGranny wrote:Prepping is in order to avoid that "sense of suffering and being afraid".
HKTackDriver wrote:If you walk into a situation thinking your gun will do your talking, you shouldn't be entering the situation. The gun is the absolute dead last resort.

RavageRitual
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil

Post by RavageRitual » Thu May 28, 2009 11:07 pm

I know it's over your price limit but the EAA Zastava M88 in 9mm is like $250 and cheaper if you look.

Fire

Post by Fire » Thu May 28, 2009 11:18 pm

for that price, you are looking at a milisurp PA-63, a polish p-64, or a CZ -82, though its been a while since I saw one at near 200- all of the above are reliable, and below what you wanna spend- note however, the PA-63 kicks like a mule, and most people find it unpleasant to shoot, myself included- I am ordering a nice spring kit from wolf soon that should make that better- I have no xp with the p-64, though its supposed to be smaller and easier to conceal- the cz 82 is many steps above the aforementioned two as far as fit, finish, ergonomics, recoil, and capacity, but it is a bit longer than the pa-63, and considerably wider, but packs 12 +1 rounds, which can be quite handy in nearly the same package- ammo is easily found online, cheaper than most anything else these days, comparable with 9mm para....... extra mags will run between 20 and 30 for any of the above unless luck intervenes......
रक्षस

" I have stood the charge of the Rakshasha, my heart will not fail, I have felt the teeth of the tiger, I fear no evil"....

Hail St. Gabriel Possenti, patron saint of handgunners...

MacAttack

Post by MacAttack » Thu May 28, 2009 11:46 pm

I'd sell a few more body fluids and get a CZ-82 and a BUNCH of ammo. All the ammo you can find.

For what it is its designed very well. Its a decent round for close work. The gun is concealable.
Extra mags are available. They are reliable.

I would like one just because.

tarafore

Post by tarafore » Thu May 28, 2009 11:57 pm

I've seen Kel-Tec P11's for $250 new and under $200 used, but you have to shop hard for those prices.
Pros:
10+1 rounds
9mm Parabellum (more powerful than the 9x18 used by the CZ-82, not much more expensive)
Can take S&W 59 magazines (up to 15 rounds)
Lifetime warranty

Cons:
VERY heavy trigger.
Eh, that's about it.

Otherwise, go with the commie-surplus. It's really the best deal around for rugged, cheap firearms (SKS, AK, Makarov, CZ-52, CZ-82, etc)

gangsta99

Post by gangsta99 » Fri May 29, 2009 1:33 am

I don't think there is a pistol that I would trust to carry for under $200.
Mr. Rebates 3% eBay Cashback If you spend a bunch on eBay and other sites online sign up for Mr Rebates to earn 3% to 15% cashback on every purchase!!

vyadmirer
Favorite Zombie Movies: ??????

Post by vyadmirer » Fri May 29, 2009 1:58 am

Not new, however..... My vote is: polish p-64. http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... ish+pistol" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and here is a website all about it: http://www.p64resource.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

J&Gsales has them for about 160 I believe.
I took the consolation prize in Ranter's free CFP-90 thread. He sent me a pack he wouldn't sell (it was a little dusty) for shipping only. Great guy!

gelgoog

Post by gelgoog » Fri May 29, 2009 3:54 am

CZ-82, its simply the best thing in your price range. It is one of my favorite firearms, and I have many 600+ pistols to choose from.

BigDaddyTX

Post by BigDaddyTX » Fri May 29, 2009 4:17 am

What are your stats? For all the people saying wait and spend a little more, you can get a Bulgarian Makarov which is as reliable as a Glock any day. They're heavy since they're metal framed, but they're damned reliable and the caliber is decent enough, plus cheap and easy to find. They're a sight more expensive on gunbroker though.. that one below is actually a really good deal it looks like.. heh.

I won't be surprised if someone else here buys it, but they've been complaining you can't get them for a good price any more, and that's a good price.

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displ ... um=9146894" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mzmadmike wrote: I may even buy another semiautomatic assault weapon rambo killing machine for my small penis, with lots of large capacity non-reusable clips full of armor piercing incendiary mercury tracer poisoned explosive hollowpoint glaser black talons

lailr
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, I am Legend, Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)

Post by lailr » Fri May 29, 2009 9:29 am

I would go with the hi-point......I've had mine for 10 years and had no problems that I did'nt cause...... The JHP .45's and the .40's may be to big for you, but I think there a little more reliable than the .380's and the 9mm's.

The Markovs and CZ's are good for the price range but like other have said, they are used milsurplus.

The Nagant revolvers can be found for 100$ they shoot a special round called .32 nagant.......it's a weird round that's designed to seat against the gun......The cylinder actually moves forward to seat with every shot.....you can shoot regular .32's out of it, but it does not seal the same way.....it also is one of those old-school, load a round, turn cylinder, load a round, turn cylinder, so speedloaders are out.

lailr
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, I am Legend, Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)

Post by lailr » Fri May 29, 2009 9:34 am

Plus the warranty is the best ever! They fix it and will send you a free mag for your trouble.......Even if you sell the gun and that person sells it, if it tranfers to 3 diffrent people, they still honor the warranty.

Go to Yahoo, and type in hi-point firearms forum, and talk to some of hte guys there.....they'll guide you into the addiction.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”