Holy crap, I just broke my Sig

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

ToddGray

Holy crap, I just broke my Sig

Post by ToddGray » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:48 pm

Before I give the story, please hold the lecture about gun handling and control. Don't need it, don't want it, everyone makes a mistake.

After sitting on the john for a bit, I got up and proceeded to pull the pants back up. Apparently, my pistol (in a polymer IWB holster) had flipped as I completed this act; strange, because it has never done it before. Upon completion, gravity took over and the pistol fell to the floor. I retrieved it, unloaded it and checked the action. A tiny metallic piece fell out from the mag well after a few runs of the slide. This tiny little piece, I can only assume, was what would lock the pistol into single action. The pistol still fires (using the pencil in the barrel trick... NOTE: DO NOT ATTEMPT THE PENCIL IN THE BARREL TRICK AS ALL GUNS SHALL BE TREATED AS IF LOADED).

Any advice? Anybody know what part I need to acquire and how much it might cost? Anybody know if this is covered under Sig's warranty?

nimdabew
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD
I am ledgend

Re: Holy crap, I just broke my Sig

Post by nimdabew » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:07 pm

Is it still under warranty?
Thanks Anianna!
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:I say when Wee Drop visits the US, we make her ride a goat. You know, like those little monkey cowboys they have at some rodeos. :lol:

ToddGray

Post by ToddGray » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:11 pm

Should be, I just bought it in December. I'll look through the warranty paperwork later, I just want to see if any of you had the answer first. For now, I must go to sleep as I have work in the morning.

Molon Labe

Post by Molon Labe » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:11 pm

You broke a Sig? Damn guy, that takes serious skillz.
Molon labe: Underwater Fire Starter-
"Tis' not shackles of iron that will chain the people, but apathy. Twill' not be weapons of steel that will keep them free, but the will to act."
Thor wrote: Never did sling load that Gama Goat.
Image You can't stop the signal.

nimdabew
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD
I am ledgend

Post by nimdabew » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:15 pm

If it is, send it back to the factory and say you were shooting it and now its broked. Give them the cave man look when they start asking questions and then complain until you get your way. I think Sig would fix it right away anyways, but this works in wal-mart, it should work for a small piece of metal that had FALLEN OUT OF YOUR GUN WHILE DRY FIRING IT. Iono, thats just me. Buy a better holster while you are at it and take your gun out of your pants while sitting on the john.
Thanks Anianna!
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:I say when Wee Drop visits the US, we make her ride a goat. You know, like those little monkey cowboys they have at some rodeos. :lol:

Phoenix David
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: I am legend, Omega man

Post by Phoenix David » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:25 pm

ToddGray wrote:... A tiny metallic piece fell out from the mag well after a few runs of the slide. This tiny little piece, I can only assume, was what would lock the pistol into single action.
Lets see a pic of the piece. Sigs have a limited lifetime warranty. I was on the phone to Sig today to send my P220 back to get a checkup. Took about 51 minutes and 12 seconds to get through but they were quite nice. (603) 772- 2302 (press #3 for customer Service) http://www.sigsauer.com/Default.aspx
Nobody ever wishes they brought a smaller gun to a gun fight

painiac

Post by painiac » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:39 am

Play around with it as much as you can and see if you can figure out exactly what is affected. If you're pretty sure it's safe to do so, get it out to the range and test fire it to see if your hypothesis is correct.

Give Sig a call and tell them a piece fell out of your gun, but don't volunteer that you dropped it. They will almost certainly want you to mail the gun to them to have it repaired, unless you happen to live close to an authorized Sig gunsmith. Sig's customer service is generally quite good, if possessive (they won't sell you spare parts upon request, like spare firing pins).

Haji
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Resident Evil 1,2, and 3, and the Samuel scene from Diary of the Dead. I'm working my way through the worst of them of late, too.

Post by Haji » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:55 pm

Dude, you broke your SIG taking a dump. That HAS to be covered under warranty. It fell, what, a foot to the floor of your bathroom tile? They'll take care of it, or they risk becoming a bigger laughing stock on the Intardweb than Cold Steel. :lol:
I don't carry a gun in case I get in a gun fight. I carry a gun because I don't want to miss the opportunity to get in a gun fight. - Officer Timmy

http://www.atstacticalgear.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sckitzo
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (org)

Post by Sckitzo » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:10 pm

+1 to what Haji said man.

Sounds odd but maybe something was defective in the gun to begin with, no reason a foot drop should break any firearm.

Ehh, and I really don't see how you did anything wrong or lecture worthy, shame on you for taking a dump man! Nah, doesn't work.

Hoppy
Favorite Zombie Movies: all of them. except Diary of The Dead.

Post by Hoppy » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:29 pm

and thats another reason i secure the pistol BEFORE undoing the belt. when im at my house i just draw it, place in on the sing counter or the hamper and do my business. when im in a public rest room, i take my whole holster off ( thank god i got the snaps!) and then place it some where to put it

anyway. does the pistol still go into 1/2 cock? sounds like you need to get a sig tech to check the hammer and sear
No one has a sense for the dramatic.

Bear_B

Post by Bear_B » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:28 pm

When taking a dump, the best thing to do with your pistol is to unholster it and then put it in the crotch of your pants while they are around your ankles...

This prevents incidents such as you see here today, and prevents you from ever walking off and leaving your weapon in the bathroom. (ThAT is way more common than you'd think actually)

Send it back to SIG. Dont LIE to them to get it fixed. Just send it back and say the weapon broke, you dont need to provide details and argue with them. SIG is an OUTSTANDING company to do business with.

While I dont think "dropped while taking a shit" is a warranty issue, chances are, they will fix it for free, regardless. They dont earn a reputation for being one of the best companies to do business with by being picky.

Phoenix David
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: I am legend, Omega man

Post by Phoenix David » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:42 pm

Well since nobody has said it yet. Well shit happens. :lol:
BTW which model is it?
Nobody ever wishes they brought a smaller gun to a gun fight

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by phil_in_cs » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:55 pm

Molon Labe wrote:You broke a Sig? Damn guy, that takes serious skillz.
Todd was in the Air Force, right?
Don't confuse a belligerent and aggressive attitude with the strength, training, and conditioning needed to prevail in a fight. How do you know you have the Will To Win, if you don't even have the will to train?

Sckitzo
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (org)

Post by Sckitzo » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:29 pm

phil_in_cs wrote:
Molon Labe wrote:You broke a Sig? Damn guy, that takes serious skillz.
Todd was in the Air Force, right?
Yes... *sighs*

Domino

Post by Domino » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:41 pm

Bummer dude,

What model SIG is it and did you buy it NIB? Makes me kinda wonder if the same thing would happen with your C9?

I have to say though, if I broke one of my guns while CCW on the shitter I don't think I would admit it! :lol:

Anyways, let us know how it turns out. I'm sure everything will work out in the end.

qwertyuiop
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by qwertyuiop » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:26 pm

Aw, that's not as bad as it could have been. At least it's a SIG.

H&K won't even warranty their weapons to an inferior being that actually shits, like some sort of vulgar human.

TheLastRifleMan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later

Post by TheLastRifleMan » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:37 pm

I am with Bear. SIG is a great company to deal with as far as customer service.

Years ao, a freind of mine had a stainless steel SIG 230 in .380. Very nice carry gun, accurate as hell and reliable.
He was shooting at the shooting club we belong to and was firing the last four rounds in his magazine in a rapid fire. He suddenly found the the slide was locked back and he could not move it.

After looking it over, we discovered that the second round he fired was a squib and the bullet lodged 2/3 down the barrel. Two other bullets ended up behind the first and bulged the barrel, blocling the slide from moving.

He sent it into SIG, and they fixed it no problem. They even sent him the bulged barrel, which my dad and I used for a Hunter's Safety demo.

Contact them and send it in. They will, I am sure, take care of it.

"If ye break faith with those who died,
We shall not sleep..."

tilt

Post by tilt » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:31 pm

Shouldn't be a problem for them to fix it.

Personally, I'm a sink-setter at home and a crotch-placer when in a public restroom.

I used to be a toilet-paper-dispenser-setter, but one time, some guy slammed another stall door and the vibration almost made my gun fall.
Murphy is my Co-Pilot

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:43 pm

Hoppy wrote:and thats another reason i secure the pistol BEFORE undoing the belt. when im at my house i just draw it, place in on the sing counter or the hamper and do my business. when im in a public rest room, i take my whole holster off ( thank god i got the snaps!) and then place it some where to put it
This is how pistols get left in public restrooms.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

OhioMe

Post by OhioMe » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:36 pm

I usually place my pistol (still in its holster) in my pulled down pants when 'sitting down' in public private. It is rather hard to forget the pistol in the crotch of your trousers before you pull them up. At worst, the holstered weapon slides into a pant leg while you are standing up.
German Serial Killer Who Hacks Heads Off Rabbits Uses Google Earth to Find Victims
DavePAL84 wrote:If you guys bring an old t-shirt or two each it would also be beneficial (maybe something you don't mind being perforated with bullets and then thrown out?)
BeerandGuns wrote:.25 ACP. It took down Zombie Reaper and he's a bad a** motherf****r

tilt

Post by tilt » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:56 pm

Yeah, it kind of sucks to go to the bathroom in public. You always have to use a stall and always have to sit down. Learned that the hard way when some kid at the movie theatre lifted up my shirttail from the next urinal cause he "Thought he saw something...". Normally, a smart ass remark about him looking would have proceeded, but I figured a tactical retreat was in order instead.
Murphy is my Co-Pilot

Hoppy
Favorite Zombie Movies: all of them. except Diary of The Dead.

Post by Hoppy » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:09 pm

crypto wrote:
Hoppy wrote:and thats another reason i secure the pistol BEFORE undoing the belt. when im at my house i just draw it, place in on the sing counter or the hamper and do my business. when im in a public rest room, i take my whole holster off ( thank god i got the snaps!) and then place it some where to put it
This is how pistols get left in public restrooms.

soo thats where they keep going!. huh, iv lost so many i just assumed its normal :roll:
No one has a sense for the dramatic.

gicts

Post by gicts » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:30 pm

I imagine the force a drop from less than a foot is equal to only several recoil shocks from shooting :shock:
paramedic and firearm aficionado

My first aid bag
My zombie arsenal
BOB in creation

Does the Geneva Convention cease in a PAW?

PCP

Post by PCP » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:37 pm

OhioMe wrote:I usually place my pistol (still in its holster) in my pulled down pants when 'sitting down' in public private. It is rather hard to forget the pistol in the crotch of your trousers before you pull them up. At worst, the holstered weapon slides into a pant leg while you are standing up.
Never say that phrase. NEVVVAAHH EEVVA!
Now your doomed to shoot your nads off.
Life is a journey, not a destination.
So enjoy the ride!
Just don't get out of the car...

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”