Trade a firearm for a rose?!

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

ToddGray

Trade a firearm for a rose?!

Post by ToddGray » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:11 pm

This story hails from my previous state of residence.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090214/ap_ ... _for_roses" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

OMFG, you don't even get amnesty for the weapon, let alone what the gun might be worth?!

FUCK! I'll give you a rose and $75 for any gun you would like to get rid of (unless that gun happens to be worth less than that).

Sig_Ocelot

Re: Trade a firearm for a rose?!

Post by Sig_Ocelot » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:15 pm

You could buy a bunch of hi-points, raven arms 25acp, etc. And a dozen roses could be had for cheap, that and you'd get a bunch of gift cards. At least the police ran background checks on the firearms before giving out the gift cards and roses.
Rush2112 wrote: Somehow I see this phrase ending a lot of sentences in the future:

"...And that's how Sig lost his [eyesight/fingers]."

ArmyOfDarkness

Post by ArmyOfDarkness » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:53 pm

Has there been a gun for food one yet?
"Some people were meant to be 911, others were meant to call 911" Ilerio P.

Maeklos
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Dawn of the Dead (the original), Resident Evil

Post by Maeklos » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:57 pm

ArmyOfDarkness wrote:Has there been a gun for food one yet?
Isn't that like the opposite of hunting?

Seems more like the "Teach a man to fish and he's fed for a lifetime, but GIVE a man a fish in exchange for a fishing rod and you feed him for a day. Motherfuckin' WIN right thar!"
Politics is like having two handfuls of shit - one that smells bad and one that looks bad - and having to decide which one to put in your mouth.

"If the Russian flag were accurate, it would depict half a cabbage, a bottle of vodka, and a cold man dying for the Motherland."

Boris

Post by Boris » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:58 pm

"Cowan said gun donors were young and old, men and woman. Many had a big smile and some said it was a relief to get rid of the weapons."

What a joke.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-- Teddy Roosevelt

BadDaddie
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness

Post by BadDaddie » Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:32 pm

Here in the SSPRK (California) they often trade supermarket gift cards for guns, so guns for food...One thing, the "Six hundred dollars for six guns" don't work that way out here. There was a one hundred dollar limit. We all laugh at these for being stupid, and they are. However, it's a great way to get rid of junk. They will take anything in almost any condition. I got rid of an old Boito (?) over and under 20 gauge that I payed maybe 30$ for new. It was junk, I had no use for it, it's very difficult to get rid of junk guns in CA (and make some money back at least) they gave me a way to get the piece of junk out of my safe and get a C-note full of groceries. I laughed with the officer who gave me my Grocery card "I just made room and money for another Moison" :lol: I actually bought ammo. They were a little pissed at the one I went to becaused they wanted to get "gang guns" off the street, but all of the stuff they got was junk like mine. Were they expecting ARs and AKs? It also gave me an oppertunity to give a LA Times reporter some uncomfortable man on the street incites :twisted: I'll do it again (got a couple old shot out 22s to get rid of). They have slowed down out here, probably because they had some reallity checks in the last couple. The LEOs KNOW they're just getting crap out of people's attics. If you have a worthless piece of junk sitting in your safe keep your ear to the ground! And don't forget to laugh when you turn 'em in! Oh, and be sure to tell them about that High Power C&R you're going to buy with the money :lol:

David

callista

Post by callista » Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:52 pm

Is there really a realistic way to get guns out of the hands of criminals, at all? It's obvious these kinds of things don't work; the only people who turn in guns are the people who don't plan to use them.
WARNING: This poster is prone to walls of text, unnecessary pedantry, grammatical nitpicking, and words with more letters than the US postal service. Approach at your own risk. Bring a dictionary.

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:19 pm

callista wrote:Is there really a realistic way to get guns out of the hands of criminals, at all?
Is there really a realistic way to get drugs out of the hands of criminals, at all?

the only people who turn in guns are the people who don't plan to use them.
Not always true. If a gun buy back program doesn't do a check (many do not) bangers like to turn in their "pieces" that have bodies on them. Great way to get rid of the evidence and get some $$ or a giftcard to boot.
Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.
Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

Phoenix David
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: I am legend, Omega man

Post by Phoenix David » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:56 pm

callista wrote:Is there really a realistic way to get guns out of the hands of criminals, at all?
Lock them up and don't let them out.
Nobody ever wishes they brought a smaller gun to a gun fight

AssistncefrmaDstnce
Favorite Zombie Movies: DawnOTD, "Night of the Creeps"

Post by AssistncefrmaDstnce » Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:59 pm

Just a quick linguistical note...

These programs aren't buy "back"'s, that imply's that all guns belong to the government and they are nice enough to "buy" them back, rather than just shoot you dead for them. They are coercive buy-ups, but thats fine. Anyone who's got two brain cells to rub together does what others in this post have done, scoop up some old 12 gauge new england shotguns for forty bucks a pop, then drive to wherever and turn them into a $250 gift card. The DC police, or maybe Baltimore, had a program like this a while back. They gave five hundred dollars for each handgun and I bet 99% of them were fresh off the shelf, $100 Hi-Points from northern VA or PA. Trade off the crap for cash, an unreasonable amount of cash, and purchase something nice. Thanks government for your unbridled stupidity!

An unnecessary closure to that: "Crime still exists in DC". If only they'd have offered a THOUSAND dollars for the guns... ;-)
This is my rifle.
There are many like it, but this one is MINE.

The Highwayman
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil series

Post by The Highwayman » Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:17 pm

Not sure about food, but they have one in Orlando, FL every year, called "Kicks for guns". "Kicks" is, I guess, slang for sneakers to the youngin's. So, they give gift cards to FootLocker, etc. for guns. Not sure of the amount of the giftcard though. One year, some woman found a LAW or similar shoulder-fired rocket case in her newly purchased home's attic. I repeat, a freaking CASE....They still gave her a giftcard anyway, the morons.....

True story.
Join ZS:17- FL

RIP Hk33k

non-descript
Favorite Zombie Movies: CSPAN

Post by non-descript » Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:55 pm

Cut their damned hands off?
Itoz wrote:
Lock them up and don't let them out.

Sworbeyegib
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead is what started it all for me

Post by Sworbeyegib » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:43 pm

I much more enjoyed the "buy a pair of diamond earings, get a free gun" promotion a store in wisconsin had. http://www.wisn.com/news/18700409/detail.html
**Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't**

Zwergner

Post by Zwergner » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:10 pm

We have an old old old bolt action Sears shotgun...as if that isn't bad enough, it's also the model that had the bolt recalled for it's tendency to shoot out the back of the gun and into your chest/face/shoulder/whatever.

Soooo...may have entertained the idea for that shotgun :D

Tel0004

Post by Tel0004 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:44 pm

Why doesn't Cincinnati ever have these?

Since buying a gun from another Ohio resident face to face is legal, I'm going to camp out.

They pay 100, I'll pay 200 (for select guns)

Rifleninja
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them that involve a copious amount of firearms!!!

Post by Rifleninja » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:03 pm

That is funking Barney Frank type toothless alchoholic retarded.
Lots of people think themselves able, but very few are willing.

rburch

Post by rburch » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:07 am

Damn, wish that was closer to me, I've got a RG-38 sitting in pieces in the bottom of my gun cabinet that a friend gave me. And in this case I would be relieved to get rid of the weapon. I'm tired of looking at the ugly POS.

Plus, I could have given my girl a Rose tonight.
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

pyratemime

Post by pyratemime » Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:36 am

As I recall over X-Mas in STL there was a church that did that.

"It wouldn't hurt you people to think like a serial killer every now and again. You know just for the sake of prevention!" - Foamy the Squirrel
DaJoker wrote:In regards to us "normal" humans... well that's why its best to follow pyratemime's advice.

Ninja Master
Favorite Zombie Movies: I Am Legend (not really zombies, but I suppose it counts).

Post by Ninja Master » Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:07 am

How much of the gun must be present for it to be considered a gun?
AR-9mm-1911-Cake-Ninjas-Blue Phone Cord

That German Guy

Post by That German Guy » Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:43 am

rburch wrote:Damn, wish that was closer to me, I've got a RG-38 sitting in pieces in the bottom of my gun cabinet that a friend gave me. And in this case I would be relieved to get rid of the weapon. I'm tired of looking at the ugly POS.

Plus, I could have given my girl a Rose tonight.
You could sell it to a German collector for top dollar... Röhm guns are somewhat exotic (at least the non-blank ones), since Röhm mostly makes chucks for lathes.

Top Dollar would be anywhere between 2- and 500, depending on condition.
SMoAF wrote:We all ended up moving in together at one point, and I paid our rent in guns.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:No one on ZS worth their membership would be in a frozen forest, alone, without being loaded out like they've got Les Fucking Stroud himself in their enormous and ergonomic backpack.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”