Trade Through FFL?

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

WhyNotFab
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil

Trade Through FFL?

Post by WhyNotFab » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:43 pm

I called a gun store in town, they said $47.50 to get a gun shipped to them (Included tax and background check..) but I forgot to ask if there would also be a charge for me to have a gun shipped to another person for a trade.. How would that work?

mk_ultra

Re: Trade Through FFL?

Post by mk_ultra » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:48 pm

If the other party is out of state you will have to send your gun to their FFL . Some FFLs will accept shipments from individuals (mine does) , some will not and you may have to have your FFL ship it .
This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence - Vyvyan

WhyNotFab

Post by WhyNotFab » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:49 pm

We are both in Florida, so I need to ask if my FFL and his FFL accept shipments from individuals?

ToddGray

Post by ToddGray » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:09 pm

WhyNotFab wrote:We are both in Florida, so I need to ask if my FFL and his FFL accept shipments from individuals?

WHAT?!

You're both in the same state and you want to run an FFL deal?!

Way to spend money unnecessarily... just meet and trade FTF. Just make sure that the firearms are in cases and disassembled, if possible. Oh, and bring a friend JIK.

Squidi

Post by Squidi » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:53 pm

ToddGray wrote:
WhyNotFab wrote:We are both in Florida, so I need to ask if my FFL and his FFL accept shipments from individuals?
WHAT?!
You're both in the same state and you want to run an FFL deal?!
Way to spend money unnecessarily... just meet and trade FTF. Just make sure that the firearms are in cases and disassembled, if possible. Oh, and bring a friend JIK.
I was thinking that, but I didn't post it because maybe there is some mitigating factor that we are unaware of. Florida is a long state, I think if he lived in the Keys and the other guy lived in Destin it would be, 10 or 12 hour car trip? I guess I could mapquest and find out.

I am intrigued to know why he is going through an FFL also.

WhyNotFab

Post by WhyNotFab » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:59 pm

I was only asking just in case the amount it'd cost would be worth the time/gas you know.. I'm in Crestview, he's in Ocala but mentioned trading by mailing through USPS Certified.. which I'm not sure of anyway, but I'll MapQuest later and check the distance..

Trebor

Post by Trebor » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:08 pm

Federal law allows you to mail long guns (rifles and shotguns) to another private invidual as long as you are both in the same state. (Intrastate transfer, as opposed to INTER state transfer).

You still need to be able to legally possess the rifle and you need to check to make sure Florida law allows you to receive a rifle in the mail. I'm not up on Florida law so I don't know if all transfers have to go through a FFL, or if private party sales are allowed, or what not.

But, if state law allows it, you can ship a rifle or shotgun directly to a non-FFL under Federal law.
----
R.I.P HK33K - Gone, but not forgetten.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”