New gun controll already introduced - H.R. 45

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

Fire

New gun controll already introduced - H.R. 45

Post by Fire » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:40 pm

While I wish to avoid any political thread degradation, for information sake I though I should put this up as it has not been mentioned yet, and directly impacts EVERYONE who owns a firearm....

/6/2009--Introduced.
Blair Holt's Firearm Licensing and Record of Sale Act of 2009 - Amends the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act to prohibit a person from possessing a firearm unless that person has been issued a firearm license under this Act or a state system certified under this Act and such license has not been invalidated or revoked. Prescribes license application, issuance, and renewal requirements.
Prohibits transferring or receiving a qualifying firearm unless the recipient presents a valid firearms license, the license is verified, and the dealer records a tracking authorization number. Prescribes firearms transfer reporting and record keeping requirements. Directs the Attorney General to establish and maintain a federal record of sale system.
Prohibits: (1) transferring a firearm to any person other than a licensee, unless the transfer is processed through a licensed dealer in accordance with national instant criminal background check system requirements, with exceptions; (2) a licensed manufacturer or dealer from failing to comply with reporting and record keeping requirements of this Act; (3) failing to report the loss or theft of the firearm to the Attorney General within 72 hours; (4) failing to report to the Attorney General an address change within 60 days; or (5) keeping a loaded firearm, or an unloaded firearm and ammunition for the firearm, knowingly or recklessly disregarding the risk that a child is capable of gaining access, if a child uses the firearm and causes death or serious bodily injury.
Prescribes criminal penalties for violations of firearms provisions covered by this Act.
Directs the Attorney General to: (1) establish and maintain a firearm injury information clearinghouse; (2) conduct continuing studies and investigations of firearm-related deaths and injuries; and (3) collect and maintain current production and sales figures of each licensed manufacturer.
Authorizes the Attorney General to certify state firearm licensing or record of sale systems.

Essentially would require a federal license to buy or POSSESS pretty much any firearm, and you could not store it loaded..... any you must pass a test to own that firearm.....
रक्षस

" I have stood the charge of the Rakshasha, my heart will not fail, I have felt the teeth of the tiger, I fear no evil"....

Hail St. Gabriel Possenti, patron saint of handgunners...

NSaglibene

Re: New gun controll already introduced - H.R. 45

Post by NSaglibene » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:43 pm

We now enter the age of dictatorship...

We must not let this pass.
AR/1911/Meatloaf

naegling62

Post by naegling62 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:45 pm

And they wonder why there is a buying frenzy. :wink:
Trioxin wrote:If that means I need a tinfoil hat, then dammit it, hand me my silver sombrero.
Packaged in USA
from products and materials produced in China

Hwæt! Wé Gárdena in géardagum þéodcyninga þrym gefrúnon· hú ðá æþelingas ellen fremedon.

dogbane
Favorite Zombie Movies: the usual ones

Post by dogbane » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:48 pm

The bill is named after a kid who was killed in Chicago, a city with some of the strictest firearms laws in the country, by a juvenile who had the gun illegally. I wonder how this bill is supposed to address a situation like that.

If it passes, expect a big legislative turnover.
Mostly not here anymore.

muscleman_coffeemesto
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by muscleman_coffeemesto » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:50 pm

Sounds almost like what we already have in California. It's a money-making thing, since the govt. will charge you for that license.
I don't believe in karma.
Karma is just justice without satisfaction,
And I don't believe in justice.

mk_ultra

Post by mk_ultra » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:53 pm

dogbane wrote:The bill is named after a kid who was killed in Chicago, a city with some of the strictest firearms laws in the country, by a juvenile who had the gun illegally. I wonder how this bill is supposed to address a situation like that.

If it passes, expect a big legislative turnover.
Ironic isn't it . :roll: Way to go exploiting the name of some unfortunate dead kid to further one's political agenda . More feel-good legislation .

This piece actually worries me more than an AW ban , because at first blush it seems to be "sensible and reasonable " to most people , hell , most non-gun people are surprised that all firearms are not "registered " to their owners. That being the case , I feel this actually has a much better chance of passing than an AW ban.
This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence - Vyvyan

MacabeeSicarius

Post by MacabeeSicarius » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:57 pm

lets not get worked up about every house resolution that get's picked up.

keep your eye on it, but dont get too stressed out unless it really starts picking up steam

99% of these things die in committee.
crypto wrote:Sigs are +5 damage due to superior Teutonic Gnome Magic

Maeklos
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Dawn of the Dead (the original), Resident Evil

Post by Maeklos » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:59 pm

MacabeeSicarius wrote:lets not get worked up about every house resolution that get's picked up.

keep your eye on it, but dont get too stressed out unless it really starts picking up steam

99% of these things die in committee.
+1.
Politics is like having two handfuls of shit - one that smells bad and one that looks bad - and having to decide which one to put in your mouth.

"If the Russian flag were accurate, it would depict half a cabbage, a bottle of vodka, and a cold man dying for the Motherland."

KentuckyRifleman

Post by KentuckyRifleman » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:00 pm

I recently talked to a lobbyist - he said that congressmen (and congresswomen) assume that for every person that calls their office to protest or support a bill that there are roughly 250 -1,000 people in their district that feel the same way but have not called. So if you do decide to call your elected officials, you are speaking for 1,000 other people that feel the same way you do.
Insert clever quote here

SMoAF
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by SMoAF » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:03 pm

muscleman_coffeemesto wrote:Sounds almost like what we already have in California. It's a money-making thing, since the govt. will charge you for that license.

Given the holding of Heller, the Feds can no more charge you for a firearms license than they can charge you to vote. Now we just need to get the 2nd Amendment incorporated.
"Betrayed by the land that bore us; Forlorn by those we hold dear.
The Good have all gone before us, and only the Wicked are here.
So stand to, your glasses ready, for the world is a world full of lies.
Here's to those gone before us, and here's to the next man who dies."

ToddGray

Post by ToddGray » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:05 pm

This legislation is right up there with the 1000 yard "no guns near a school" law. I live within 1000 yards of 3 schools... am I breaking the law? No, because there has been verbage included in the law to deal with this paradox. The laws are there to help punish those who are caught commiting more serious crimes. This law is named for that kid because they needed one more charge to tack on to anybody else who does what his murderer does.

But, of course, it presents a serious roadblock to all of us law-abiding gun owners.

dogbane

Post by dogbane » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:08 pm

ETA: I deleted this post because it was pushing the limits on political discussion. I just thought it was important to take a look at who is behind the bill. 1968 was a long time ago, but the principle the BPP was espousing was self-defense, which was a key argument in the Heller decision.
Last edited by dogbane on Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Mostly not here anymore.

TofuBento

Post by TofuBento » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:19 pm

dogbane wrote:Sponsor: Repesentative Bobby Rush, founder of the Illinois Black Panther Party.

Bobby Rush and friends in 1968:

How times change.

No joke?

Thats comedy!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Do to much controversy...my sig has been changed. So enjoy some Andrew WK, and Conan.

Maeklos
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Dawn of the Dead (the original), Resident Evil

Post by Maeklos » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:20 pm

Just wrote my congressman. Here's what I wrote:
I have recently become aware of Blair Holt's Firearm Licensing and Record of Sale Act of 2009. In my opinion, this is a wrongfooted attempt to curb gun crime. How does making it more difficult for honest, law-abiding citizens to own firearms cut down on crime committed with guns obtained illegally?

I cannot see how a failure to enforce the existing laws somehow translates to gun crime being the fault of the average gun-owning citizen. Criminals will obtain firearms. This is a given fact. Taking firearms out of the hands of honest, law-abiding citizens does nothing more than encourage criminals to go to even greater extremes as they know that there will be less of a chance that their victim will have the capability to defend himself or herself adequately.

So, please, I urge you to work against this ridiculous proposition and push towards more fully enforcing the laws that do exist, as well as seeing more initiatives designed to break up black market and illegal importation and sale of firearms as opposed to increase regulation and restriction of legal sales.

A concerned citizen,
(Me)
Politics is like having two handfuls of shit - one that smells bad and one that looks bad - and having to decide which one to put in your mouth.

"If the Russian flag were accurate, it would depict half a cabbage, a bottle of vodka, and a cold man dying for the Motherland."

Zoltan
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead; Dawn of the Dead(remake); 28 Days Later; 28 Weeks Later; Army of Darkness; Dead & Breakfast; I am Legend; Pet Sematary;

Post by Zoltan » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:29 pm

Nice letter. I will be doing the same and getting as many as my friends to do the same.
ZSC:XV -- California Chapter Forum

"Doctrine is the last refuge of the unimaginative." - General James "Chaos" Mattis, USMC
CLEAR CUT wrote:Chloroform soaked rag in a ziplock baggie, Duct tape, ten milligrams of Ketamine in a syringe, and a bottle of Roofies....It must be date night!

Maeklos

Post by Maeklos » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:33 pm

As a note, you can write you representative by going here:

https://writerep.house.gov/writerep/welcome.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Impus
Favorite Zombie Movies: Die, You Zombie Bastards!

Post by Impus » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:41 pm

Much as I support the tone of this thread, it's subject and discussion are most definitely political. Welp, here I am..
Let Me Die Not Quietly, But Valiantly And Violently

ZSC:012 Tenimus Altus Humus

Murph

Post by Murph » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:53 pm

Impus wrote:Much as I support the tone of this thread, it's subject and discussion are most definitely political. I have nothing constructive to add to this thread..
If defending your rights is "political," we're all in trouble.
Does your BOB at least have: water, basic tools, fire, food, first-aid kit, and shelter?
"When planning, prepare for the most likely, and then the most catastrophic."
raptor wrote: Being a gun collector does not make you a prepper.
the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

Mechanik
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of The Dead (original and remake), Night of The Living Dead (original and remake), 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later

Post by Mechanik » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:22 pm

Fire wrote: Essentially would require a federal license to buy or POSSESS pretty much any firearm, and you could not store it loaded..... any you must pass a test to own that firearm.....
Welcome to Canada.

Fight this with your dying breath. The gun registry up here has been a fiasco. It's cost the government billions of dollars, and has done nothing to deter crime, and little to help investigate crimes, because, you guessed it, criminals don't register their guns.

Unfortunately the firearms lobby is nowhere near as powerful up here, and it's been an uphill battle trying to get all the BS like this undone, especially because we don't have your 2nd Amendment rights.

Panzershreke
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (Both the original & remake)
28 Days/Weeks Later
Shaun of the Dead
I am Legend

Post by Panzershreke » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:27 pm

Maeklos wrote:As a note, you can write you representative by going here:

https://writerep.house.gov/writerep/welcome.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks for that link, I'm writing my representative right now.
Shadowsbane wrote: I thought I felt a disturbance in the force. Like a million mall ninja piggy banks crying out in anguish, and then....silence.

PistolPete
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by PistolPete » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:37 pm

I'd like to thank everyone for staying on the good side of the "no political discussion" rule.

I would like to suggest comments such as:
We now enter the age of dictatorship...
Really have no place in the conversation however. Keep away from comments like that, and we'll all get along fine. :)
Steemit, where I write stuff now

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

Maeklos

Post by Maeklos » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:45 pm

PistolPete wrote:Keep away from comments like that, and we'll all get along fine. :)
It's hard, because I'm a strong believer in the fact that if someone doesn't feel passionately about politics, then they're probably someone you should watch carefully!

And to that effect, before I die, I would love to see some crusty old Senator or Congressman on C-SPAN stand up and address a fellow official by saying, "You, sir, are a fucking douche nozzle."

dogbane

Post by dogbane » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:45 pm

I wrote my rep.
Mostly not here anymore.

Patient Zer0
Favorite Zombie Movies: 90 remake of NOTLD, Shaun of the Dead, Dead and Breakfast, Dance of the Dead

Post by Patient Zer0 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:52 pm

dogbane wrote:I wrote my rep.
Ditto, but I live in the 6th district. Oh well, I'll fight the good fight.
bonanacrom wrote:I'd never throw others out of my way to save myself over them but anyone in my way with speeches about rules and regulations is going to get punched in the throat.
TIOCFAIDH AR LA

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”