Ammunition Situation

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

D-Train

Ammunition Situation

Post by D-Train » Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:15 pm

Ammunition is becoming more difficult around where I live. My local Mega Lo Mart hasn't any 9mm for a month and they're not sure when any is coming in. About all teh have in stock is come .22 (not even large boxes) and some shot gun shells. I've been buying ammo there for years and they've always had a good selection. What gives?
"I wish for zombies everyday just so I don't have to go to work."
Finch

OhioMe

Re: Ammunition Situation

Post by OhioMe » Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:28 pm

Obama. Long story short, the election of Barack Obama. Sure, the metals market and overseas US military actions have some impact, but primarily the US election and the fear mongering that went with it.

Now, w/ the slowdown of the economy it will be interesting to see how ammo production is affected.

Walmart in particular buys mega, MEGA quantities of ammo from big producers. Now that those contracts may have been fulfilled and the warehouses are emptying it is a whole new ballgame for WallyWorld.
Last edited by OhioMe on Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
German Serial Killer Who Hacks Heads Off Rabbits Uses Google Earth to Find Victims
DavePAL84 wrote:If you guys bring an old t-shirt or two each it would also be beneficial (maybe something you don't mind being perforated with bullets and then thrown out?)
BeerandGuns wrote:.25 ACP. It took down Zombie Reaper and he's a bad a** motherf****r

Mr. Warren Peace
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later.. 28 weeks later,

Post by Mr. Warren Peace » Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:53 pm

you should send wally world an email, and let them know about their empty shelves. i tried it, and it worked. i gave them names of the employees in that department, and the type of ammo i was looking for. in addition, i also "suggested" that i would do all of my ammo purchasing online. i received a call from my local wally world store manager, and he asked me what caliber and how much i wanted. i got the amount i wanted, plus he knock off another 10% of my purchase.

fyi - i was having some difficulties finding .22 mag ammo, and i told "dave" at wally world, and he called me about 7 days later,when the shipment came in. i picked up 500rds of cci 40 grain/jhp for just under $10/per box. it's about what i paid for the same ammo on gunbroker, but w/o the $15 shipping.
"Riddle me this. Riddle me that. Who is afraid of the big black bat?"

D-Train

Post by D-Train » Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:55 pm

Mr. Warren Peace wrote:you should send wally world an email, and let them know about their empty shelves. i tried it, and it worked. i gave them names of the employees in that department, and the type of ammo i was looking for. in addition, i also "suggested" that i would do all of my ammo purchasing online. i received a call from my local wally world store manager, and he asked me what caliber and how much i wanted. i got the amount i wanted, plus he knock off another 10% of my purchase.

fyi - i was having some difficulties finding .22 mag ammo, and i told "dave" at wally world, and he called me about 7 days later,when the shipment came in. i picked up 500rds of cci 40 grain/jhp for just under $10/per box. it's about what i paid for the same ammo on gunbroker, but w/o the $15 shipping.
Great suggestion. I'm on it.
Finch

Asininity

Post by Asininity » Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:05 pm

Mr. Warren Peace: Thank you for the info! I liked buying 9mm and .38s from them but they are all out. I'll do what you did and hopefully we'll get some more in stock down here in Texas.
Never Point A Gun At Something You're Not Prepared To Destroy! - IDPA

D-Train

Post by D-Train » Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:12 pm

My e-mail has been sent. I told them what I was looking for and asked if there was any particular reason they had been out of stock on most of their ammunition for the last month. I'll update this thread if I get a response.
Finch

Sig_Ocelot

Post by Sig_Ocelot » Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:12 pm

I can't understand why people are buying ammo at such a great rate... The prices are way too high, especially compaired to the price of metal. Even Sarah Brady wouldn't ban 9mm fmj! Oh well, in any event, I think it is price gouging by the industry. If ammo is out at Wally World, fuck 'em, but it online at a cheaper price.
Rush2112 wrote: Somehow I see this phrase ending a lot of sentences in the future:

"...And that's how Sig lost his [eyesight/fingers]."

nimdabew
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD
I am ledgend

Post by nimdabew » Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:23 pm

Thats just it sig, wal-mart is usually the same price, if not cheaper, without shipping charges. True, large bulk quantities are almost the same, but WWB on ammunitiontogo.com is more expensive than at wal-mart, even at bulk prices (+1000). I have saved my shooting and am sitting on a small, (albet very respectable) cache of ammunition, I just don't want to go shooting until I can afford a reloading press and start cranking out my empty brass while sitting at home.
Thanks Anianna!
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:I say when Wee Drop visits the US, we make her ride a goat. You know, like those little monkey cowboys they have at some rodeos. :lol:

AgentBlack
Favorite Zombie Movies: all of them, anything where the dead walk and eat people is cool with me.

Post by AgentBlack » Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:41 pm

ever hear the chris rock bit on gun control? you don't have to regulate the guns just make ammo impossible to get.....it's all a plot!!! :D
or maybe the war effort have over taxed to ammo makers?
but just in case:
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/Category ... =78&PN=hga" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mr. Warren Peace

Post by Mr. Warren Peace » Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:27 pm

good luck all..

yeah, i heard the chris rock stand up on bullets, and it's ringing true in 09.

Trioxin
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Trioxin » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:40 pm

Man, If you guys are stockin up now, then you are in bad shape myfriend. Are you just looking for 9mm? AIM has Brown bear for $88 for 500 rounds of 9mm. That's cheaper than WM, of course the shipping will clip you, but at least you can get some.
LINK
You Are Not Free.
FYI: the 7.4 trillion dollars used to bail out Wall Street could give $23,000 to EVERY man, woman, and child in the US.
Slowly moving toward my 666th post. YEAH!!

nimdabew
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD
I am ledgend

Post by nimdabew » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:36 pm

Some people just got into the gun thing. I only got into it in may of 2008. Luckly the hoarding bug bit me before prices sky rocketed so I am not that worried about it. I am worried about theft though because I am away from home a lot. My weapons are secure but I don't have room for all my ammunition and guns in the same place. Good luck finding ammo. You will need it.
Thanks Anianna!
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:I say when Wee Drop visits the US, we make her ride a goat. You know, like those little monkey cowboys they have at some rodeos. :lol:

Hoppy
Favorite Zombie Movies: all of them. except Diary of The Dead.

Post by Hoppy » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:38 pm

Trioxin wrote:Man, If you guys are stockin up now, then you are in bad shape myfriend.

theres a difference between "stocking up" and shooting regularly. :wink:

i have a stockpile, but its just that. a stock pile. to be saved, and increased. not to be decreased for practice.

ammo is MIA from all the big box stores. the locals still have some. but prices are still up
No one has a sense for the dramatic.

FlashDaddy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: All the Milla movies and Shaun of the Dead
Location: There's no place I can be since I've found (hoosier) Serenity.

Post by FlashDaddy » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:44 pm

The Wally I shop at was out of 9mm today, as well as everything else except rimfire, some rifle ammo, shotgun ammo, and three boxes of .38 special. They had Federal 20 ga. slugs on close out for $3/box, which is .99 off the old price. So I bought the last 7 boxes they had. It was a bad sight, seeing all that empty shelf space where the pistol ammo used to be. The clerk said he was told they won't be getting any more in "for a while". I followed the wally email advice and sent one a few minutes ago. If I get a reply, I will post it here.
- Flash

Browncoat, food & H2O storing Dad. "I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me."
"Freedom is not a gift bestowed upon us by other people or the majority, it's a right that belongs to all of us."

Skillet Liquor
Favorite Zombie Movies: All movies are zombie movies if you are in the right frame of mind when you watch them.

Post by Skillet Liquor » Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:02 pm

I recently had good luck with http://www.ammunitiontogo.com - very quick turnaround. My ammo supply had kind of dwindled and then I started taking a co-worker shooting, so I decided to stock up. 7.62x39mm and .45ACP seemed to be about 1.5x or 2x more expensive than the last time I made a big order. Luckily, I still have tons of .22LR lying around, so I can plink to my heart's content without feeling it in my wallet.
"Let's go get sushi... and not pay!"

SamuraiBobX26
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil, Evil Dead, Night of the Living Dead, Dead Alive

Post by SamuraiBobX26 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:33 am

I had posted on this a while ago myself. I was stocking up for shooting purposes so that I wouldn't get into my stored ammo. When ever I go to Wally world now I buy a box of ammo in a caliber that I own reguardless of brand, except Blazer, I hate that stuff. I just picked up a box of rem .223 Friday night and that cleaned my store out.
A Sword may be sharp, but a keen mind is sharper.

Only after disaster can we be resurrected.

OhioMe

Post by OhioMe » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:21 am

Such hate for Blazer! All my Glock 23 has ever known is the 180 gr. .40S&W Blazer Brass from Wal-mart.* In probably 1,000 rounds I have had ZERO FTF, FTE, or the other kind of FTF. Currently selling $12.47 for the 50 round box ( Though I bought 1000 rounds back last year when it was still under $10 /box), I can't think of a reason not to buy, stockpile, and use Blazer Brass.

*Occasionally I give it a treat of some Win Ranger RA40T which it likes as well.
German Serial Killer Who Hacks Heads Off Rabbits Uses Google Earth to Find Victims
DavePAL84 wrote:If you guys bring an old t-shirt or two each it would also be beneficial (maybe something you don't mind being perforated with bullets and then thrown out?)
BeerandGuns wrote:.25 ACP. It took down Zombie Reaper and he's a bad a** motherf****r

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by phil_in_cs » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:13 am

Shades of rushing to walmart when the disaster strikes... tisk tisk. The time to buy ammo was last summer. :lol:
Don't confuse a belligerent and aggressive attitude with the strength, training, and conditioning needed to prevail in a fight. How do you know you have the Will To Win, if you don't even have the will to train?

Patient Zer0
Favorite Zombie Movies: 90 remake of NOTLD, Shaun of the Dead, Dead and Breakfast, Dance of the Dead

Post by Patient Zer0 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:52 pm

Both my close Wal-Marts are out of everything from .22 to .45. They had 600 rounds of WWB .38special and thats about it. They had a couple 550rd bricks of .22 so I bought those and 100 more rounds for my .38. Damn panic buying.
bonanacrom wrote:I'd never throw others out of my way to save myself over them but anyone in my way with speeches about rules and regulations is going to get punched in the throat.
TIOCFAIDH AR LA

Trioxin
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Trioxin » Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:56 pm

I just got back from my local WM and the supply was looking pretty grim. One 20rnd box of 9mm, NO .45 ammo, .223 and .308 GONE, one box of 7.62x39 and that was about it for the 'fun' calibers. They had 270 win, 30-06, etc. Had some good prices of 12 guage turkey loads (my fav for HD, 3" #4 shot. Good stuff). I talked to the lady behind the counter, she is the one usually in the dept. and she said she has been having people from all over come in. She had someone from Knoxville (nearly 100 miles) show up and he said that he was making a special run between WMs and buying all he could. She said he bought the last 5 100rnd boxes of 9mm she had.

Could be crazy deman, could be tin foil hat gun control via ammo supply...who knows.

I have to second ammunitiontogo. I just bought 2 boxes of HST, very hard to find, and they were fast and friendly. A+

I guess my advice would be to buy it where you find it, but for god's sake, buy it NOW before it really is too late.
You Are Not Free.
FYI: the 7.4 trillion dollars used to bail out Wall Street could give $23,000 to EVERY man, woman, and child in the US.
Slowly moving toward my 666th post. YEAH!!

Mr. Warren Peace

Post by Mr. Warren Peace » Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:35 pm

come on, some people are new to the field, active shooters, or just cannot simply afford to buy +1000rds at a single purchase, so lets share some knowledge, and try to be supportive.

there are still deals to be found guys, so don't let the "you should have bought ammo last year or when it was really cheap" comments sway you. i'm an active shooter, and i have plenty of ammo, but i'm always shooting. i didn't buy my firearms as trophies or for historical reason or value, so until i'm serious about investing into some reloading equipment, i will always be looking for ammo.

AgentBlack
Favorite Zombie Movies: all of them, anything where the dead walk and eat people is cool with me.

Post by AgentBlack » Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:46 pm

true, if your a shooter them your always looking for ammo deals. and the idea of buying new ammo to shoot and save your stockpile is flawed, you should be buying to replace what you shoot out of your stocks, rotate. no sense in letting ammo sit around, rotate your stock and shoot up the oldest dated stuff first.

dkhoward

Post by dkhoward » Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:52 pm

Just scored 300 rds of Yugo 7.72x54r brass cased ammo for $91.00US on gunbroker.
Zombie Fleet #0124

"Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a government entity!"

D-Train

Post by D-Train » Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:58 pm

*****UPDATE*****
The manager of the sporting goods section gave me a call tonight (on a Sunday night!) in response to my e-mail. She said the store was out because the warehouse was out. She was not able to tell me when they would be receiving more or why they were out. She said they would be getting a new shipment and they were not discontinuing ammountion sales or anything like that. She said she placed a small order because sometimes those get filled faster than large orders.
I do have a "stockpile" though it would be considered paltry by most of your standards. I keep around 600 rounds of 9mm on hand and about 1000 rounds of .22. I'm going shooting soon and I thought I might as well increase my stock and buy some for shooting. I have to buy a little at a time.
I'll be hitting up one of my local gun stores and getting some from the this week. I'll pay a bit more, but I'll feel better.
I'll update again if I hear anymore from Wal-Mart.
Finch

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”