Crosspost from another forum

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

MrUgly

Crosspost from another forum

Post by MrUgly » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:58 pm

One of the other boards I belong to is a PA firearms site. We have a fantastic bunch of people and most are spot on when it comes to firearm safety. One the rare occasions we screw up, we post that too. Rather than repost the images, I am going to link to the thread. Curmudgeon is ok, but he has "What not to do" post, complete with gory pictures.

Stay safe all.

http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/45292- ... rning.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Peace is the the first choice of a wise man; superior firepower a close second. ~ Me

ToddGray

Re: Crosspost from another forum

Post by ToddGray » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:32 pm

Thank you for posting this. Anything that can help us become safer is always a good thing. I'm glad he's ok.

Zoltan
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead; Dawn of the Dead(remake); 28 Days Later; 28 Weeks Later; Army of Darkness; Dead & Breakfast; I am Legend; Pet Sematary;

Post by Zoltan » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:39 pm

Wow, ouch!!!!

Definitely glad he is OK and like other people stated, everyone makes a mistake no matter how experienced they are around guns.

Safety, safety, safety peoples!!
ZSC:XV -- California Chapter Forum

"Doctrine is the last refuge of the unimaginative." - General James "Chaos" Mattis, USMC
CLEAR CUT wrote:Chloroform soaked rag in a ziplock baggie, Duct tape, ten milligrams of Ketamine in a syringe, and a bottle of Roofies....It must be date night!

Phoenix David
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: I am legend, Omega man

Post by Phoenix David » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:49 pm

A good reminder to all..
Nobody ever wishes they brought a smaller gun to a gun fight

Hoppy
Favorite Zombie Movies: all of them. except Diary of The Dead.

Post by Hoppy » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:52 pm

:roll:

stupid is as stupid does
No one has a sense for the dramatic.

AwPhuch

Post by AwPhuch » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:55 pm

A smart man learns from his mistakes

A wise man learns from others mistakes

Thanks for posting this
\
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms - Should be a convenience store, not a Governmental entity
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

Khledd
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead

Post by Khledd » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:12 am

I lol'd. Does that make me a bad person? :roll:

Arcana71

Post by Arcana71 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:18 am

Hoppy wrote:stupid is as stupid does
He elected to man-up. Big time. We should all.

TC

Post by TC » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:30 am

I wonder if his wife was more upset about his arm or that he shot up her china cupboard!
KentsOkay wrote: I immediately thought about calling 911, but once we got to the T stop and got her out of her jeans, things seemed to be going a lot better.
TC's Defence of the Realm Target Download

Zoltan
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead; Dawn of the Dead(remake); 28 Days Later; 28 Weeks Later; Army of Darkness; Dead & Breakfast; I am Legend; Pet Sematary;

Post by Zoltan » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:37 am

I'm guessing the china cabinet and the blood everywhere.

"Doctrine is the last refuge of the unimaginative." - General James "Chaos" Mattis, USMC
CLEAR CUT wrote:Chloroform soaked rag in a ziplock baggie, Duct tape, ten milligrams of Ketamine in a syringe, and a bottle of Roofies....It must be date night!

Brendan Sullivan

Post by Brendan Sullivan » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:21 am

I'll admit it was a stupid mistake for him to make, but I'll also admit I'm human and I've made stupid mistakes and will probably continue to find new ones, even firearms mistakes. I learned from them, have not lost or cost life nor limb, and will not make the same ones again. Glad he had the guts to post about it and open up for discussion.

"Survival is a simple test. There's only one right answer, but cheating is allowed."
-Laurence Gonzales, Deep Survival

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:39 pm

There is nothing wrong with the overhand technique (preferred actually) so long as you don't cover the ejection port with your hand.
Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.
Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

Hoppy

Post by Hoppy » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:48 pm

DavePAL84 wrote:There is nothing wrong with the overhand technique (preferred actually) so long as you don't cover the ejection port with your hand.
agreed. he got injured because he did it wrong, not because of the technique.

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:54 pm

Hoppy wrote:
DavePAL84 wrote:There is nothing wrong with the overhand technique (preferred actually) so long as you don't cover the ejection port with your hand.
Is this just because covering the ejection port can prevent the round in the chamber from being ejected, and potentially allowing it to be re-chambered when the slide goes forward? Or because it puts your hand in a dangerous position re: the muzzle?

I like the ergonomics of the overhand cocking technique just because it feels a lot more solid and positive to me, but since it's unconventional I'm always worried it might be "wrong."

Also, is the ejection port thing only if you're unloading a weapon? Does it matter for chambering a round? Or should the overhand technique be used for unloading only?

Hoppy

Post by Hoppy » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:02 pm

Jeriah wrote:
Hoppy wrote:
Is this just because covering the ejection port can prevent the round in the chamber from being ejected, and potentially allowing it to be re-chambered when the slide goes forward? Or because it puts your hand in a dangerous position re: the muzzle?
both. aswell as risking the round not fully ejecting and being struck by an extractor. one of the bad things many people do/used to do, including myself, is try to catch the round. this makes you try to do more tasks, with less dexterity. this also places your hand over the ejection port, and near the trigger. both are bad ju ju.

in the case of the linked incident, the owner apparently allowed a finger from his gripping hand into the trigger guard, and fired the gun.
I like the ergonomics of the overhand cocking technique just because it feels a lot more solid and positive to me, but since it's unconventional I'm always worried it might be "wrong."

Also, is the ejection port thing only if you're unloading a weapon? Does it matter for chambering a round? Or should the overhand technique be used for unloading only?
keep your hand away from the chamber. grip towards the back of the gun. theres actualy a good reference indirectly linked in that incident.
http://www.corneredcat.com/RunGun/rack.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

from what i can tell happened to this guy, he says hes right handed, and the damage is to his right hand. so either he was holding the gun in his left hand and operating the slide with his right, or he had some other crazy grip. i only got to read the first page. when i get the time i will read the rest and try to figure out what happened. im not sure if this is muzzle blast damage or something from the ejection port

Zoltan

Post by Zoltan » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:33 pm

He was holding the grip with his right hand and pulling back the slide with his left hand and it was over the top of the slide, instead of pulling from the back. He said his trigger finger on his right hand kinda slipped into the trigger guard and pulled the trigger when the slide was more or less all the way back.

Edit: Spelling
Last edited by Zoltan on Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

meatshieldChris
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the dead, Evil Dead trilogy

Post by meatshieldChris » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:53 pm

Khledd wrote:I lol'd. Does that make me a bad person? :roll:
I loled at the indecision to bleed in either the left sink or the right one. I'm a bad person too.

Hoppy

Post by Hoppy » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:02 pm

Zoltan wrote:He was holding the grip with his right hand and pulling back the slide with his left hand and it was over the top of the slide, instead of pulling from the back. He said his trigger finger on his right hand kinda slipped into the trigger guard and pulled the tripper when the slide was more or less all the way back.

so if he was holding the gun in a traditional fashion how did the damage occur to his right hand?

and if he did pull the trigger with the slide all the way back thats the worst out of battery firing ever.

Zoltan

Post by Zoltan » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:22 pm

Hoppy wrote:
Zoltan wrote:He was holding the grip with his right hand and pulling back the slide with his left hand and it was over the top of the slide, instead of pulling from the back. He said his trigger finger on his right hand kinda slipped into the trigger guard and pulled the tripper when the slide was more or less all the way back.

so if he was holding the gun in a traditional fashion how did the damage occur to his right hand?

and if he did pull the trigger with the slide all the way back thats the worst out of battery firing ever.
Damn, now that I look again, I thought it was his left hand that got all the damage.

But if you look at the pic, I would have thought his left hand got the worst of it. Now I am completely confused as how the hell he jacked his right hand/arm up!!

Hoppy

Post by Hoppy » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:51 pm

Zoltan wrote:
Damn, now that I look again, I thought it was his left hand that got all the damage.

But if you look at the pic, I would have thought his left hand got the worst of it. Now I am completely confused as how the hell he jacked his right hand/arm up!!
im really unsure how he did this. haha. it looks like his arm was twisted to it was infront of the muzzel

NoPants
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shrek

Post by NoPants » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:55 pm

If you read the thread it says he was holding the gun with the left hand (the hand that pulled the trigger) and racking it with the right hand.

Zoltan

Post by Zoltan » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:56 pm

Thanks, I guess his picture threw off how I was reading it. Sorry for the fucxor!!

nimdabew
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD
I am ledgend

Post by nimdabew » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:01 pm

I am thinking he is left handed, racked with his right hand and as he was starting to pull, the chamber was open enough to allow gases to escape and the slide to fuck up his hand, but closed enough to still fire the round
Thanks Anianna!
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:I say when Wee Drop visits the US, we make her ride a goat. You know, like those little monkey cowboys they have at some rodeos. :lol:

Hoppy

Post by Hoppy » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:33 pm

nimdabew wrote:I am thinking he is left handed, racked with his right hand and as he was starting to pull, the chamber was open enough to allow gases to escape and the slide to fuck up his hand, but closed enough to still fire the round
well he says hes right handed, but that wouldn't stop him from using his left hand just as you described. does anyone have the same model XD know how much travel the slide has before the striker locks out of battery?

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”