One weapon or any weapon?

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

Abacus
ZS Member
ZS Member

One weapon or any weapon?

Post by Abacus » Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:34 pm

This is more of a training philosophy question:

Do you prefer to do you shooting with one specific weapon, or do you shoot with anything you can get your hands on.

I'm not talking about turning money into noise, I mean seriously working on your skills on your own, or a shooting sport, or taking a class.

Do you like to use the same CHL handgun ALL of the time, or do you carry different ones (and maybe in different holster locations)?

Same for rifles and shotguns, do you "train" with the same rifle continuously, or do you mix it up?

Naturally, anyone who only has one pistol, rifle or shotgun, I think we can take it as read that they will be in the "One weapon" training.

But you lot that have a dozen rifles or a dozen pistols, how about it? Do you train with a specific weapon to become surgically precise, or do you spread your time to be "good enough" with a variety?
ImageImage

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04
DotD
NotLD

Re: One weapon or any weapon?

Post by ninja-elbow » Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:05 pm

Every chance I get to at least familiarize myself with something unfamiliar with I'll take. When I have and extra $20 or so at the local pistol range, I'll rent a pistol I never shot before just so I know the mechanics (and have the range master run me through it). I'll do the same when going shooting with others and if offered, will shoot with unfamiliar guns; which I also ask for a "primer" before actually pulling the trigger.

That's just familiarization though. When I do train, it is with my own for the most part.

I try to stick to the Musashi principle of never have a favorite weapon and know them all. This includes a good pair of boots for getting away. 8)
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese

TDW586
Location: Here, unless I'm not, in which case, somewhere else

Post by TDW586 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:08 pm

I like to be competent with a wide range of weapons. One can concentrate on a specific weapon, but it definately pays to be familiar with as many models as possible.

donjulio

Post by donjulio » Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:15 pm

I lake to familiarize myself with anything I can get my hands on. When I live in the middle of the Mojave desert it was easier to get out and shoot more firearms. I would shoot 4-5 afternoons a week. Now I have to limit my shooting to a morning once in a while at a formal range, but I still try to mix it up as much as possible.
Also, you know you don't get out to shoot enough when you have several guns that you have never fired. :oops:

pyratemime

Post by pyratemime » Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:27 pm

Like all the other responses I will familiarize myself with anything I can get my hands on. For training though it is my M9 for pistol and M4 for rifle. That is also because my "training" is doing the AF qualification course for pistol and rifle whenever I am at the range.

"It wouldn't hurt you people to think like a serial killer every now and again. You know just for the sake of prevention!" - Foamy the Squirrel
DaJoker wrote:In regards to us "normal" humans... well that's why its best to follow pyratemime's advice.

Paladin1

Post by Paladin1 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:36 pm

I train with the same guns all the time. I've shot other guns enough to know how to check a new one out to find out how to work the controls.

But after I found ones (rifle/sidearm) that I like, I train with them exclusively. When I'm in a stressful situ and fine motor skills are gone I want manipulation of the weapons to be automatic.

I carry this over to to my other weapons. My shotgun, fighting rifle, and DMR all work the same, have the same controls.

Not that I don't take every opportunity to shoot other platforms, I just don't train with them.
WWSD?

jare-3
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Diary of the Dead
All Resident Evils

Post by jare-3 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:15 pm

I try to keep my weapons similar. I have a 92fs (DA/SA) and wanted to add a .45 I was concerned that something in a different "family" i.e. Glock or XD would create problems when trasitioning from one to the other. I wound up with a DA/SA P-220. The feel...meaning size, trigger, and weight is pretty similar...thus making training with boh weapons relatively easy for me. Plus its a really sweet piece. Now all I need to add is some rifle work.
If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with bullshit!

No eating/drinking/snorting the Bath Salts! - jonm61 (WaltherForums)

Mr. Warren Peace
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later.. 28 weeks later,

Post by Mr. Warren Peace » Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:21 pm

exclusively mine. if i fired yours at the range, thanks! my hand feels better on my goodies.. 8)
"Riddle me this. Riddle me that. Who is afraid of the big black bat?"

jamoni
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by jamoni » Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:20 pm

Both. I familiarize myself with as many arms as I can, and I do plenty of fun shooting with all of my guns, but I do most of my serious shooting with my AR and my Model 19. Those are my go to guns, and my hands need to be able to work them without consulting my brain.
JoergS wrote:Realistically, I think I can launch a nine pound chain saw at 50 fps from a shoulder mounted rubber powered bazooka...
squinty wrote:I reserve the right to yell "Dookyhole!" - or it's Hebrew equivalent if such a thing exists - whilst dispensing a barrage of palm strikes at my opponent.

Sig_Ocelot

Post by Sig_Ocelot » Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:32 pm

TDW586 wrote:I like to be competent with a wide range of weapons. One can concentrate on a specific weapon, but it definately pays to be familiar with as many models as possible.

That's pretty much my philosophy. In truth, I mainly practice with my POF and Sig p226. Probably 80% of the time. I still shoot other semi autos (mainly Glocks) and revolvers, ARs and AKs. The only weapons I rarely train with are shotguns, because I have never been issued one nor do I use it for self defense. And lever guns, I don't like them at all. I can load and shoot one with out pinching my index finger, and that's good enough for me.
Rush2112 wrote: Somehow I see this phrase ending a lot of sentences in the future:

"...And that's how Sig lost his [eyesight/fingers]."

congochris

Post by congochris » Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:36 pm

I tend to stick mostly to my HK carry gun for practice. I shoot my 1911 a bit, but since it conceals pretty horribly (and I've had reliability problems with some ammo I'm trying to iron out) it's pretty much HK all the way. Also this is my carry gun due to the fact that I'm a cautious sort, and really like the fact that I can clear the pistol while it's still on safe, unlike my 1911.

As for rifles, I'm still building my AR, and I really only shoot my bolt gun, rather than my old man's rifles. It's like driving someone else's car. it's ok every once in a while, but it's not mine.

Trebor

Post by Trebor » Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:48 pm

I'm an instructor so my situation probably isn't typical. I think it's important for me to be familiar with any of the common firearms my students might use. I don't necessarily have to *master* them all, but I should know how to operate them and be able to make good hits. There are times when I borrow a student's firearm for a drill and nothing helps build credability then being able to outperform a student with their own gun, shot "cold." It kinda hurts the image if I gotta ask them, "what's this lever do?" first....

My main pistol is my CZ-75. I used that in both LFI-1 and LFI 2. Now I practice it enough to keep up my skills with it, but tend to use other pistols when I take training classes.

I took the SigArms Instructor class with my Sig 239 and I'm glad I did. I didn't really like the pistol much before that, but it turns out I just hadn't spent enough time with it seriously practicing. I got to know it pretty well after a week and would now trust it, and my ability to use it, as a carry gun.

On that other hand, I spent about the last year shooting my Glock 19 almost exclusively. I used it in a training class with Dave Spaulding and shoot a couple action pistol matches with it. After all that time, I still can't shoot that pistol worth a Damn, so I've pretty much given up on "learning the Glock" and gone back to the CZ for my "go to" pistol. I know how to run the Glock just fine, I just can't hit anything with it...

The next training class I take I'll probably run either my S&W Model 65 carry gun or a 1911. I'm not a 1911 guy, so running one in a class would be good for me. I *am* a revolver guy, but I realized I've never taken a class exclusively with a revolver, so that's due.

Personally, I think any "well rounded' shooter should familiar with more then just their personal favorite handgun. You don't have to necessarily shoot other guns as well as you shoot your favorite, but you should know how to operate the most common semi-autos and know how to load and unload a revolver. (I get students who shoot semi-auto's exclusively who don't even know how to open the cylinder on a revolver. That just boogles my mind)
----
R.I.P HK33K - Gone, but not forgetten.

Trebor

Post by Trebor » Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:51 pm

Oh, and as far as the carry gun goes, I'm a believer in the "carry the same gun, the same way, every time" school. You don't want to have to think about where you have the gun or automatically reach for one spot only to realize that you're carrying a different gun in a different location that day.

I have changed carry guns a couple times, but each time I *completely* changed to a different gun. I don't do the, "If this is Tuesday, I must be carrying a snubbie on my ankle, or is that Weds?" thing.
----

Ufdyixcaff

Post by Ufdyixcaff » Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:00 pm

I think it is important to be familiar with anything you are likely to come across...

At the same time, I want to have ZERO doubt or confusion when its time to pull the trigger.

So, I train probably 90% with my primary weapons, 10% with "the rest"... give or take 5%ish depending on my mood.

zombieassasin
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later

Post by zombieassasin » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:37 am

I shoot whatever I can get my hands on. As mentioned by others, it pays to be familiar with as many different rifles, shotguns and pistols as possible. I get together with fellow enthusiasts on a regular basis to keep our skills up, and someone always brings something new or dusty (been siting for a while, needs a good workout) and we all take the time to learn it and put some rounds on target with it. In the Navy, we called it "FamFire" (Familiarization Fire).

That being said, we all focus most of our range time on our personel primary (rifle) and secondary (handgun) weapons.

Yugosaki
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, Dawn of the dead, Shawn of the dead, Resident evil (only the first one)

Post by Yugosaki » Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:25 pm

I can use just about any smallarm given a moment to inspect it.

But the main one I use is my glock 17. not because it's a favorite, but because it's my only pistol. I can lock it in a box, throw it in my bag, and go to the nearby pistol range. The rifles are more a day outing kinda thing, you don't drive an hour to shoot 50 rounds all by yourself.
EMR Graduate (awaiting Certification)

maine1
Favorite Zombie Movies: dawn of the dead, land of the dead, 28 days later, 28 weeks later. Original Dawn of the dead...any zombie movie is ok, some are better than others.

Post by maine1 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:37 pm

+1 Trebor.

I train with several guns, I want to be able to competently run/survive with any given weapon- firearm or not- that i could pick up or improvise.

My carry guns are Glocks: my primary is a Glock 21, and i have two, i also carry a G-20, and will be swapping to that full time. Training equates to all 3 guns as the size and manual of arms is the same.
I decide on one type of weapon for my use, then buy multiples of the same. I aslo shoot my students, freinds and coworkers guns.

I ALWAYS carry the gun in the same location, in only one of two holsters ( crossbreed 80% of the time, alternate for uniform carry). I do not subscribe to the "multiple guns and carries" philosophy, as it makes your brain short circut under stress.

Keith B
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Resident Evil 3
Did not like 28 days later

Post by Keith B » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:52 pm

Personally, I have found that I like to know how to safely operate as many types of firearms as possible. However, no man can truly be an expert at every type of firearm. Competent, yes. Expert, no. Take the difference in the trigger between a Sig and a 1911. One is single action only and the other is DA/SA. There is a big difference for that first trigger pull, and isn't that the on that counts the most?
I train 80% of the time with one pistol, one AR and one rifle. When I'm plinking it doesn't matter as much as it is all for fun anyways. Train like you fight, and fight to win. Finally, Beware the man who only owns one rifle, for he probably knows how to use it.
The asshole formerly known as Sigboy40

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
An accident while adventuring is always an indication of incompetence-Col Townsend Whelen
thinkfree wrote:Sigboy40 is the greatest asshole I have ever had the pleasure of knowing
Sigboy Scout Belt
Outcast Prepper Blog

Trebor

Post by Trebor » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:21 pm

Just thought I'd mention that this *very* issue is one why I made "Battlefield Pick Up" the theme for the November Postal Match. I know that many shooters "get in a groove" and only shoot the firearms they are most comfortable with and wanted to give people a reason to learn some new guns.

If you're interested in this discussion, check out the match in the thread below. Go ahead and shoot it, you might learn something new as well.

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 16&t=36456" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
----

Wolfdude87
Favorite Zombie Movies: Land of the Dead
Shaun of the Dead

Post by Wolfdude87 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:55 pm

I like to rent different guns when I go down to the range. I love 1911's so I rent those more often but I shoot pistols, rifles, shotguns, of all stlyes, cal./guages. But when it comes to guns I'm not one of those people who owns a whole slew of firearms. I only own one pistol. I can field strip it and put it back together in 20 sec. If it jams I can fix it (although its only ever jammed when shot by some limp wristed nub) and I could shoot it in my sleep. Only because I have this level of comfort with my gun am I now looking to buy another. I've been working on my decision for months too. So basically my point is, you should be an expert on any gun you own, but have at least a basic knowledge of how to use any gun you should run across.

Hey, just started a new blog. Updates 3 times a week. I'd love feedback. Plus it should be pretty entertaining.
http://superboxsix.blogspot.com/

Wolfhvnter

Post by Wolfhvnter » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:07 pm

I train hard on a specific platform (g3), and familiarize myself with the use of the AR and AK.

I can manipulate every aspect of a g3 type weapon in my sleep. I'm used to the ergonomics, recoil, sighting, dissassembly. I don't have to think to operate the weapon. I can go from a dry mag to ready to fire in about six seconds with mag retention. (Not nearly AR time, but you try that with a g3)

I think being familiar with common platforms is good, alongside owning your main rifle.
naegling62 wrote:Well the only thing I can say is that I have a Carcano and that design is so bad it does lend to the idea of a 2nd shooter.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”