ZS thoughts on the 10MM

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

maine1
Favorite Zombie Movies: dawn of the dead, land of the dead, 28 days later, 28 weeks later. Original Dawn of the dead...any zombie movie is ok, some are better than others.

ZS thoughts on the 10MM

Post by maine1 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:14 pm

I currently EDC the G-21, as well as the G-20. I am a fan of the 10mm as its a powerful and flat shooting cartidge and gives someone armed with just a handgun some better capability. I like the capacity, range, accuracy, power, and ease of longer rage hits over the 45. The downside for me is I have to buy brass, with 45 I have several thousand range pick ups. If sufficient ammo is on hand, the 10mm is tops, IMHO. I also have a LWD 40 S+W conversion barrel that makes plinking cheap, and also is a good thing to have in the pack if ammo gets scarce. Its not a Fal, but i can put hits on target with it much easier than with my 45...much less kentucky windage involved.

What say the ZS crew?

ArmyOfDarkness

Re: ZS thoughts on the 10MM

Post by ArmyOfDarkness » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:21 pm

I'd buy one if the prices weren't so high. If I ever thought about getting a .45 I'd get a 10mm.
"Some people were meant to be 911, others were meant to call 911" Ilerio P.

Gun_Nut_2k1

Post by Gun_Nut_2k1 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:22 pm

The 10mm is the single most versatile round in existence for a pistol. One of my favorites.
GN
Oneswunk wrote:Interesting idea, but I still prefer the feel of wood in my hands.
tarzan wrote:Not a sound argument for having wood, in my opinion.
Tommy Tran wrote:Before I drop hammer on a 'clear' SG I full finger both tubes!

doc66

Post by doc66 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:28 pm

I love my 10mm.

I had five at one time. I'm down to one now. A Colt Delta.
http://www.milcopptactical.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:56 pm

Commercial 10mm is pussified so you'd have to reload to really get the benefit of the caliber.
Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.
Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

ArmyOfDarkness

Post by ArmyOfDarkness » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:57 pm

DavePAL84 wrote:Commercial 10mm is pussified so you'd have to reload to really get the benefit of the caliber.
Doesn't cor-bon make a good load for it?
"Some people were meant to be 911, others were meant to call 911" Ilerio P.

doc66

Post by doc66 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:17 pm

The 10mm is a handloaders dream.

Yes, Corbin makes a respectable loading for the 10mm.

I got rid of mine because I rarely shot them and getting brass was becoming a chore. I have a thousand GoldDot 10mm and such, but other than that, I rarely shoot my 10mm, it's just a pain to get loadings for it in fighting powers and if I'm going to reload, I just end up hitting the .45 or .40 first anyway.
http://www.milcopptactical.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jeepinbandtrider

Post by jeepinbandtrider » Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:27 pm

I want a CZ chambered in 10mm. I checked one out at a gun shop not too long ago and it fit my hand like a glove. Price was right around 450 also if I can find another one in the near future I may jump on it.

mr. right-wing

Post by mr. right-wing » Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:36 pm

If you handload, that is one hell of a round, love it.
R.I.P HK33K

roscoe

Post by roscoe » Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:46 pm

The 10mm is the single most versatile round in existence for a pistol. One of my favorites.
Absolutely true - as versatile as the .357, which is saying a lot. And if you are worried about factory ammo being weak, get Doubletap. They have a wide variety of powerful ammo. My favorite is the heavy hardcast load - perfect for bears, dumptrucks, and engine blocks.

My favorite pistol is the S&W 10XX line. They are SA/DA and tough. I heard a rumor they were bringing the line back - here's to hoping!

spacecase0
Favorite Zombie Movies: resident evil series

Post by spacecase0 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:57 pm

the 10mm was suppose to be the absolute best round when it was designed,
it did fall short of that, but it is still very good,
I thought the performance is in the same range with the 357, but the advantage is that it is for a semi auto.
if you can afford it, it is very good.
and as others said, if you hand load you can get great performance.
"1911, AK, corn bread, red/blue wire neutral"
people in america still like to pretend they are free, the day they know they are not, they will stop pretending

maine1
Favorite Zombie Movies: dawn of the dead, land of the dead, 28 days later, 28 weeks later. Original Dawn of the dead...any zombie movie is ok, some are better than others.

Post by maine1 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:20 pm

Yes, the Corebon and DT loads bring the potential of the 10mm out to play, and as others have said, if i did not reload, i would not even consider it. Originally i went with the 45 over the 10 as ammo was available at M+P stores, was cheap, component brass was cheap or free for the picking, and i was concerned about supply...

Years went by and i realized that i had not actually BOUGHT 45 loads in years, so the 10mm started looking bettter. I do not look to resuplly from other sources WTSHTF, i figure that i will have to use what i have put by. If i have to scrounge beyond what i carry or have ready, well, thats what the 40 barrel is for. I have since seen 10mm factory ammo at M+P stores, also 40, 357 sig. Not what you'd expect in the backwoods.

Sig_Ocelot

Post by Sig_Ocelot » Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:55 pm

DavePAL84 wrote:Commercial 10mm is pussified so you'd have to reload to really get the benefit of the caliber.
QFT, I bought some Federal 10mm that wasn't posting much more muzzle velocity than my .40 S&W 180grn. I am able to reload 10mm with my .40 dies and plates which makes things easy for me. I have a Glock 20, but I don't shoot it much. Recoil isn't bad at all, especially with commercial stuff.

I love the 10mm, but I wouldn't want it for self defense because it's too damn loud. I'd hate to think what would happen if I shot one defensively from the inside of my car.
Rush2112 wrote: Somehow I see this phrase ending a lot of sentences in the future:

"...And that's how Sig lost his [eyesight/fingers]."

Lodewijk

Post by Lodewijk » Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:20 pm

spacecase0 wrote: if you can afford it, it is very good.
+1

Edit: I can't afford it, so I guess it actually sucks. :(

maine1

Post by maine1 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:50 pm

Jeepinbandrider, check out the Fortis project, its a resurected Bren ten-based off the CZ.

Aslo, with the Glock, i like the Arredondo floorplates that make a 45 mag hold 17 rounds...but the 10mm/4 holds a full 20 rounds. a total of 21 rounds of 10mm is nearly enought for any hostile crowd.

ironraven

Post by ironraven » Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:34 pm

When I had my Delta Elite, you could get both the low pressure (.40S&W class) loads and the higher pressure (low-end .41 Mag class) loads commercially. I loaded some that were pretty hot, to. It could have taken off, and done so much better, but it didn't. It would have been both a real pistol and real PDW round, particularly if you looked into saboted 5.5 to 7mm bullets.
"Even if it's only the handful of people I happen to meet on the street or in my home, I can still protect them with one sword."

When a man go no longer speak without malice intended lest he cause offense, that is when truth starts to die.

There are three kinds of man- Man the Toolmaker, Man the Tool User, and man the tool.

MacAttack

Post by MacAttack » Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:49 pm

jeepinbandtrider wrote:I want a CZ chambered in 10mm. I checked one out at a gun shop not too long ago and it fit my hand like a glove. Price was right around 450 also if I can find another one in the near future I may jump on it.

Look at the EAA Witness line. Based off the same CZ body design.
http://www.eaacorp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've never had trouble with the weapon. But mines in .45 and 9mm

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:59 pm

I don't reload, and can barely afford to shoot regularly as it is. I'm sticking with my 9mm; if I invest in a new cal. it'll be a .45 XD. My wife recently surprised the both of us by outshooting me with a rented .357 Ruger loaded with .38 rounds, she also shot it way better than she ever shot my 9mm Sig. So, for her, it'll probably be a wheelgun of one description or another.

Summary: no 10mm for me. But if it works for you, and you reload, I can't see any reason not to.

Shadowsbane
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead.

Post by Shadowsbane » Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:08 pm

If memory serves me correctly the choice of 10mm really boned some poor bastard few years back. The caliber choice was partly used to say he was looking for the fight due to his carrying such a powerfull weapon.

However, that was probably the exception instead of the rule in such matters.
All dwarfs are by nature dutiful, serious, literate, obedient and thoughtful people whose only minor failing is a tendency, after one drink, to rush at enemies screaming "Arrrrrrgh!" and axing their legs off at the knee.
Terry Pratchett

http://www.lonelymountainleather.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (Temporarily closed)

I am col o r Blind

MacAttack

Post by MacAttack » Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:34 pm

Shadowsbane wrote:If memory serves me correctly the choice of 10mm really boned some poor bastard few years back. The caliber choice was partly used to say he was looking for the fight due to his carrying such a powerfull weapon.

However, that was probably the exception instead of the rule in such matters.

Lame excuse of a good prosecutor against a P-poor defense lawyer. With a gullible jury to boot.

Shadowsbane
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead.

Post by Shadowsbane » Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:36 pm

True. However sometimes life just sucks that way.
All dwarfs are by nature dutiful, serious, literate, obedient and thoughtful people whose only minor failing is a tendency, after one drink, to rush at enemies screaming "Arrrrrrgh!" and axing their legs off at the knee.
Terry Pratchett

http://www.lonelymountainleather.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (Temporarily closed)

I am col o r Blind

Abacus
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Abacus » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:22 pm

10mm Witness that I bought mostly because someone else on ZS was talking about one and it reminded me that I wanted one to take the place ot the Bren Ten that I'll probably never have.

It's my current new EDC. I like it, but it is heavy. The 15 round mags are heavy.
When I shoot IDPA my brass goes flying into the next berm, but it has authoritay!

I don't think its a good choice as an only calibre, or as a PAW calibre. It's just a little too Gucci. But I have several 9's, .357's and a .45 to cover the rest of my bases.
ImageImage

Gun_Nut_2k1

Post by Gun_Nut_2k1 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:11 pm

spacecase0 wrote:the 10mm was suppose to be the absolute best round when it was designed,
it did fall short of that, but it is still very good,
I thought the performance is in the same range with the 357, but the advantage is that it is for a semi auto.
if you can afford it, it is very good.
and as others said, if you hand load you can get great performance.
It is the best semi auto round. The power is closer to 41mag and 44mag in the same bullet weights. Costs the same as loading 40S&W.
GN
Oneswunk wrote:Interesting idea, but I still prefer the feel of wood in my hands.
tarzan wrote:Not a sound argument for having wood, in my opinion.
Tommy Tran wrote:Before I drop hammer on a 'clear' SG I full finger both tubes!

Browning 35
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004).
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Omega Man

Post by Browning 35 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:52 pm

Great caliber as far as stopping power and penetration goes and it's a great caliber for handgun hunting.

Not so great as far as finding readily available cheap ammo goes though.

If you stocked up on ammo in bulk it wouldn't be that big of a deal.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote:Why do you want to shoot penguins? What did they ever do to you?
It's that smug, superior attitude of theirs, strutting around in their fancy outfits like they're better than everyone else. Yeah, burn in hell, you snobbish bird bastards.

And don't get me started on pandas!

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”