Lefty Friendly Weaponry?

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

THROBGOD13
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dead Snow

Re: Lefty Friendly Weaponry?

Post by THROBGOD13 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:01 am

Netrok wrote:
THROBGOD13 wrote:Springfield XDs are ambidextrous..
The position of the trigger safety is enough to drive me mad though.
Scott Springer made some custom triggers for the XD/XDm.. these are prototypes, but i'm sure if you ask him to make one for you, he would..

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=6 ... 1065952177" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

click "next" to see the flat trigger..

and to stay on-topic..

the Bersa Thunder series is fully ambi.. pretty cool for lefties..

Zombie_Eater666
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil, The Crazies, Dawn of the Dead, Shaun of the Dead

Post by Zombie_Eater666 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:14 pm

I am a lefty as well, I have no problems shooting a M1 Carbine Paratrooper. No unburnt powder on the arm, no shells in the face...
Regular Guy wrote: It's common knowledge that the 10mm uses distilled radioactive black mamba venom as a propellent. 10mm is the only round known to have caused Chuck Norris to take cover.
donjulio wrote:I'm sure this microscope on my desk would serve as a weapon if it were necessary.
Hi floor...make me a sammich! -Gir

AmirMortal
Favorite Zombie Movies: ALL! 28 days later...

Post by AmirMortal » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:33 pm

Zombie_Eater666 wrote:I am a lefty as well, I have no problems shooting a M1 Carbine Paratrooper. No unburnt powder on the arm, no shells in the face...
I've never had ny issues regarding my m1 carbine either. Now if I could just get the function of the thing straightened out...

mikieg
BANNED

Post by mikieg » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:13 pm

i been lefty for 38 years. there are no left handed or right handed shooters. there are only shooters. we are supposed to be shooting from both sides. i pondered the new popularity and availability o left handed guns for some time (about 2 seconds). train as ye shall deploy!! do you really think you will be at home with your weapons if the SHTF? you are going to use what ever you can find to fight your way back home to get your "special" weapons. this is why i stay vaguely knowledgable on communist bloc weaponry. who knows what you are gonna pick up off the street when it goes down. start investing in your " off or weak " hand. at that time you will see that there are really no ambidextrious wepons. and also there are no right hand or left hand weapons. there are only weapons. you may shoot 3 left handed shots then the next situation and cover may demand a right handed shot. do you not fire because (insert reasoning here)? hell no. that bad guy needs a killin! start using the "other" hand. it may save your or someone elses life some day.

trixter
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: fido, shaun of the dead, 28 days, i am legend, probably others that I cant remember now.

Post by trixter » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:19 pm

AmirMortal wrote:So I am a freak, but I know I'm not alone. I am whats called cross dominant. This means that I am right-handed for tasks such as writing and throwing, but I ride a skateboard and shoot wrong-handed. Sometimes this is handy (I could sign my name perfectly without releasing my firing grip), but sometimes it's annoying. Like when I want to try a bullpup...most likely I'm SOL. Or when a friend says "Try out my new Sig, this decocker is awesome!". Most rifles are no problem, but there are quite a few exceptions.
The remington 11-87 comes optionally lefty, I think that is the one my dad has (which he is in a similar situation to you). I personally like the auto-loading capability vs a pump but I am lazy that way.
Bret - Sacramento, CA http://www.0xdecafbad.com

trixter
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: fido, shaun of the dead, 28 days, i am legend, probably others that I cant remember now.

Post by trixter » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:20 pm

HK USP can be lefty or ambi, except in California (new) because that is just "unsafe" :P

mikieg
BANNED

Post by mikieg » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:44 pm

there are no ambi pistols. ask yourself this, are all controls found equally on either side? mag release or safety, maybe. slide release? nope. so we must learn techniques for these problems. this is what is so much fun about gunfighting!

Holger Danske
Favorite Zombie Movies: Charlottes Web

Post by Holger Danske » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:46 pm

OK, I'll add mine.....
M&P 9- 100% lefty friendly, has ambi slide catch, reversible mag release, ambi safety. (or in my case, no safety).
Beretta 90-Two - Reversible mag release, ambi- decocker/safety.
Taurus PT 1911AR- Ambi safety.
Taurus PT111 (Gen three) - For righties, had shit for ambi.
Kel Tec Sub2000 - This thing blasted me in the face with hot gas and grit everytime. (Neat gun for a righty though!)
AK-47 (Arsenal)- It loves me, it's mutual.
Yugo model 59 SKS- I fumble with the goofy safety, and has bolt handle on the wrong side, but otherwise it is works ok,
AR's- It's made for righties, but can be converted to ambi safety and mag release. Rock River Arms will build it for you that way.
Mosin 91/30- Bolt handle is on the wrong side, gotta do the hand swap and makes it hard to beat the bolt open with a 2x4.
Henry repeating Arms .22LR lever- 100% lefty friendly.
Various Smith revolvers- You gotta switch hands to reload.

I hope this helps my left handed brothers and sisters :D

Holger Danske
Favorite Zombie Movies: Charlottes Web

Post by Holger Danske » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:48 pm

mikieg wrote:there are no ambi pistols. ask yourself this, are all controls found equally on either side? mag release or safety, maybe. slide release? nope. so we must learn techniques for these problems. this is what is so much fun about gunfighting!
M&P9 is 100% lefty friendly. Unless your counting the take down pin.

trixter
BANNED

Post by trixter » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:04 pm

mikieg wrote:there are no ambi pistols. ask yourself this, are all controls found equally on either side? mag release or safety, maybe. slide release? nope. so we must learn techniques for these problems. this is what is so much fun about gunfighting!
http://www.hk-usa.com/civilian_products/p30_general.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ambidextrous controls include dual slide releases, magazine release levers
:)

AmirMortal

Post by AmirMortal » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:51 pm

teri4lance wrote:
M&P9 is 100% lefty friendly. Unless your counting the take down pin.

...and the mag release is ambi too.

mikieg
BANNED

Post by mikieg » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:03 am

i do stand corrected on this pistol issue. the fact of the matter is, getting wrapped up with specific equipment may end up costing you in the long run. train to standard with both sides. should not be a problem. maybe some day there will be a majority of pistols made ambi. but dont count on it. chances are that the gun you have at the moment will not be one that caters to your needs. teri listed a bunch of guns. only one is 100% ambi. its a fact that in a gun fight, your eyes are generally drawn to the bad guys weapon. and so are your bullets. that being said, it is likely that your strong arm will become injured. now what?

trixter
BANNED

Post by trixter » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:07 am

mikieg wrote:train to standard with both sides. should not be a problem.
I have one hand ...

I actually adapt, the only problem I had with a righty weapon was the M16 at fort dix, a couple casings hit my nose.

mikieg
BANNED

Post by mikieg » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:16 am

was this before or after the loss of your hand?
durring my basic in 89 at leonard wood, i had some cases get stuck on my right forearm. pretty good blister as i recall.

trixter
BANNED

Post by trixter » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:25 am

mikieg wrote:was this before or after the loss of your hand?
durring my basic in 89 at leonard wood, i had some cases get stuck on my right forearm. pretty good blister as i recall.
I shoot left handed (you knew it would be one or the other :) ) It just brushed my nose and another time nose & cheek. It was so quick and slight that I knew it happened but didnt really feel it. 1 went down my shirt, which caused a whole 'hot potato' type response, fortunately my shirt was just baggy enough that it didnt touch my skin as I rolled on my side. This would have been the summer of 1990, so just after your incident :P

Now, I prefer left handed rifles, pistols I dont care that much (I have never fired a left handed pistol). The only pistols that I have a problem with are like the rugers with the right handed grips, almost impossible for me to grab. I have adapted to be able to use most pistols. The HK USP you dont have to hit the slide release when changing magazines if you slam the new one in it will auto-release (questions if that is a bug or feature, its not discussed anywhere but they all seem to do it). The only left handed long barrel that I have shot is my fathers shotgun, but I just prefer them ...

Its a shame that they end up costing more, and fortunately there is a challenge here in CA to get them to be legal (the safe gun thing, if manufacturers dont pay for each variant they cant sell new here). Someone has a missing right hand and is suing saying its less safe to force him to use a wrong-handed weapon.

mikieg
BANNED

Post by mikieg » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:29 am

how you lose yer hand?

ML_Roak

Post by ML_Roak » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:34 pm

Good:
Savage 99s are nice, but the lever safety is a pain for a lefty, I lost a deer this year because I couldn't get the safety off fast enough (needs more practice).
AR15s are fine, I like mine a lot better since I got an Ambi safety.
Marlin lever guns, awsome for lefties, never had any problems with the several that I've had.
Winchester lever guns, all work fine, the loading gate being on the right side actually helps when topping off the mag (all models 1873-1895)
Glocks, nuff said, i never use the slide release.
SAA revolvers, (including Ruger Blackhawks and Vaqueros), Sam Colt was left handed.
Mossberg 500, good.
Browning BPS, Better.
AK47s (including saiga Shotguns) great, it jsut takes practice to get used to the safety.
M1 carbine, one of my favorites, no problems at all.
Keltec Sub2000, great gun for a lefty, no problems.
As ugly as they are, I think Hi-point carbines are reversable, I don't have one so I can't verify.
97 Winchester pumps (and clones), no safety, functionally ambi.
Browning 1919A4, perfection.
M1 Garands and M14/M1A1s, no problems. same goes for Ruger Mini 14.
Just a few, I'm sure I have forgot some.
Bad:
Most any bullpups (especially AK and 10-22 conversions)
Bolt rifles, I've never found a standard bolt rifle that I could run well.
I hate the remington 870 safety.

Hoppy
Favorite Zombie Movies: all of them. except Diary of The Dead.

Post by Hoppy » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:48 am

[quote="ML_Roak"
As ugly as they are, I think Hi-point carbines are reversable, I don't have one so I can't verify.
[/quote]

my mags are only cut on one side.
No one has a sense for the dramatic.

AmirMortal

Post by AmirMortal » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:08 am

Hoppy wrote:
ML_Roak wrote: As ugly as they are, I think Hi-point carbines are reversable, I don't have one so I can't verify.
my mags are only cut on one side.
ML_Roak, I believe you are thinking of the Beretta Cx4 Storm, which makes sense because there is a stock set sold for the HI-Point that emulates the Beretta. The charging handle is on the left side of the receiver on the 995, with ejection on the right. Whereas you can reverse the ejection, mag release, and I believe the safety is ambi on the Beretta.

Snapcat

Post by Snapcat » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:57 am

Ruger SR-9: ambi-safty, ambi-mage release. Slide release still on the left side though but not a big deal at all.

Zombie_Eater666
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil, The Crazies, Dawn of the Dead, Shaun of the Dead

Post by Zombie_Eater666 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:11 pm

Bolt rifles, I've never found a standard bolt rifle that I could run well.
I have a Remington 700 in .30-06. I have no problem using it, I guess I've adapted. Might be hard for guys like you to actuate the bolt with the right hand...
Regular Guy wrote: It's common knowledge that the 10mm uses distilled radioactive black mamba venom as a propellent. 10mm is the only round known to have caused Chuck Norris to take cover.
donjulio wrote:I'm sure this microscope on my desk would serve as a weapon if it were necessary.

Zombie_Eater666

Post by Zombie_Eater666 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:22 pm

Lugers are top ejection.

Dawgboy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the dead, Fido

Post by Dawgboy » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:48 pm

Anybody add the Marlin 336 yet?
shrapnel wrote:Dawgboy, please refrain from stirring shit for the sole purpose of stirring shit.
[ZS/]# .40/Pie/CERT/Wireless...
My homebrew stove kit
IMPROVED Solar Redneck Hot tub
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

zoiders

Post by zoiders » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:36 pm

Apart from the change lever - Bren Gun.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”