robarms xcr .223

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

jeebus

robarms xcr .223

Post by jeebus » Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:57 pm

so i'm thinken about what tacticool guns i still need... i've got my gun dealer finding me an fn fs2000 bullpup, but, as the clintons and their chinese controlled puppet government will soon be in power (shudder) i need to get all the assault rifles i can while i can. so here's the toss-up... a cai galil sporter, an ak-74 style rifle in .223 or this little baby

i've done a bit of research and they seem solid and cheap for what they are. some people don't like the buttstock, favoring the m4 style 6 position deal. i for one don't mind folders so its not a big deal to me. what does everyone else think about robarms... any experience with em?

xringmick

Post by xringmick » Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:12 pm

foo
Last edited by xringmick on Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Re: robarms xcr .223

Post by crypto » Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:15 pm

jeebus wrote:so i'm thinken about what tacticool guns i still need... i've got my gun dealer finding me an fn fs2000 bullpup, but, as the clintons and their chinese controlled puppet government will soon be in power (shudder)
I say you should wait until the Chinese-controlled puppet government :roll: :roll: :roll: is in power and then get a bunch of Norinco M-1As and 1911s.

The M-1A's are better than Springfields.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Packin' Heat

Post by Packin' Heat » Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:35 pm

robarm used to be the VEPR AK importers. I bought my vepr from them. they sent me a magazine when I found that one wasn't included in my box so I cant complain. From what I've read the XCR is supposed to be the best of the best as far as creating a Frankenstein AK-AR. I'd get one. I really want a 6.8 spc
Glock 23: Check
Mossberg 590A1 12ga: Check
VEPR AK 7.62x39: Check
Saiga 12: 12g check

jeebus

Post by jeebus » Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:36 pm

roll your eyes if you want...

also my m1a IS a polytech but i've got 2 1911s and don't need anymore of em

Nightside_Eclipse

Post by Nightside_Eclipse » Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:09 am

If the choice is between the CAI Galil, a 74 and an XCR... is there really a choice? lol

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:52 am

hahahah not much choice to me. If you've got the money get the XCR, no question.

Or wait till next year and get a Masada from Magpul :D
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

jeebus

Post by jeebus » Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:19 am

i'm a big galil fan, i can't help it.

Nightside_Eclipse

Post by Nightside_Eclipse » Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:05 pm

jeebus wrote:i'm a big galil fan, i can't help it.
Now a REAL Galil would be sweet ass, but not one assembled by Century monkeys...

waterborne

Post by waterborne » Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:09 pm

How is the XCR any better than the AR. The AR is proven in combat, the XCR isnt. The AR has some of the best ergonomics of any firearm ever made, the xcr hasn't. If you don't want and AR then get a MASADA or an AK. the MASADA was actualy designed by a former operator, and the AK is proven.
Heart beats, air goes in and out, and O2 is good.

Leethal
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later

Post by Leethal » Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:21 pm

waterborne wrote:How is the XCR any better than the AR. The AR is proven in combat, the XCR isnt. The AR has some of the best ergonomics of any firearm ever made, the xcr hasn't. If you don't want and AR then get a MASADA or an AK. the MASADA was actualy designed by a former operator, and the AK is proven.
What's so special about a rifle designed by someone that worked for the phone company? :shock:
Jvandenhaus wrote:This is why we can't have nice things.
Neal Boortz wrote:"Robin Hood didn't, as most people believe, 'take from the rich to give to the poor.' He actually took from the government. Small but important point."

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:35 pm

Leethal wrote: What's so special about a rifle designed by someone that worked for the phone company? :shock:
laff :D
MF'N TEAM LEADER

Beamish

Post by Beamish » Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:11 pm

waterborne wrote:The AR has some of the best ergonomics of any firearm ever made, the xcr hasn't.
How, exactly, are the ergonomics bad on an XCR?

The safety is identical to an AR.
The mag release is identical to an AR.
The charging handle is on the left side like an FAL - which is actually better than the AR - ergonomically.
The bolt catch is under the trigger guard - which allows the right hand to remain on the pistol grip while the let works the bolt - unlike and AR.

So...exactly where are the poor ergonomics on the XCR?

waterborne

Post by waterborne » Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:14 pm

The owner of MAGPUL is former marine recon. And I had just gotten off a 36 hour shift so.... I'll try to be more alert and oreinted before I start ranting on here, sorry.
Heart beats, air goes in and out, and O2 is good.

jeebus

Post by jeebus » Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:42 pm

i've got an ar-15, an m4 clone and an akm and a 74, so the "why not just get a...." arguement doesn't really apply...plus its cool that the other suggested rifle was designed by a specops type but the ak was built by a tank mechanic and the ar an aircraft engineer... then you can go further back and say things like the m1 carbine was largely designed by an inmate etc etc etc the ar has seen combat, but it offers a lot of room for improvement...and it seems the piston is the most accepted improvement that can be made

other then that i agree with the poster who mentioned the ergodynamic parallels between the xcr and the ar

Obiwan
BANNED

Post by Obiwan » Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:53 pm

"The charging handle is on the left side like an FAL - which is actually better than the AR - ergonomically."

Actually...is it better than the AK...and the 556...but only as good as the AR which is in the middle and accessible to both hands

I worry a bit about it being a proprietary design with one small niche mfg

But I ahve heard some fairly positive comments
"One is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." (LtCOL. Jeff Cooper U.S.M.C.)

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:32 am

Beamish wrote:
waterborne wrote:The AR has some of the best ergonomics of any firearm ever made, the xcr hasn't.

The charging handle is on the left side like an FAL - which is actually better than the AR - ergonomically.
The bolt catch is under the trigger guard - which allows the right hand to remain on the pistol grip while the let works the bolt - unlike and AR.

Speaking as a left-hander, the ergonomics suck :x
MF'N TEAM LEADER

ShipWreck

Re: robarms xcr .223

Post by ShipWreck » Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:05 am

jeebus wrote:i've got my gun dealer finding me an fn fs2000 bullpup,
Come check out the Fn Forum after U get that FS2000. Lots of other FS2000 owners there with information. www.fnforum.net
-
Visit: http://texasgunforum.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

doc66

Post by doc66 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:04 am

Some of the con's I have with the Robar.

This is one heavy little rifle. While the ad's may not make it sound heavy, it is.

It is very complicated compared to the AR to take down and hard to put back together.

It is square. It feels square.

Very front heavy and points like it.

Pro's?

It shoots nice and soft.

There is little/no felt recoil.

Piston operation, not as dirty as an AR system.

It takes AR mags.

I personally would not turn one down if given to me, I would not spend the money on one. If you want a rifle that works like an AK and has AR features. I'd save myself a grand and find a DaeWoo. IMHO it's a better rifle.

Doc
http://www.milcopptactical.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jeebus

Post by jeebus » Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:31 am

hmmm... thats a good suggestion too

honestly i don't care if its even remotely close to an AR in form or function. I just want to get another "cool" assault rifle while i can...or rather...something interesting. the Daewoo is on my radar, the only thing i've got against it is it just looks....asian. something about asian asthetics...kind of just...askew. but i will definetly take it under advisement. Thanks for the feedback though. i take it you've handled an xcr? what made it so difficult to put back together...from the pictures of the rifle in pieces it looks like it would be cake. the muzzle-heavy issue is a major turnoff, guess i need to hold one now.

Civilian Scout

Post by Civilian Scout » Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:53 am

I pretty much agree with what Doc said. The XCR weighed a lot more than I expected it to. While weight is always a concern, I'm generally more concerned about a weapon's balance. The XCR is very muzzle heavy and therefore very poorly balanced. I haven't had the opportunity to take one apart, so I can't say much about the internals. Overall build qaulity seemed pretty good, though.
"Now, let us gather our strength from the violence of the elements!" - Captain Terror

ShipWreck

Post by ShipWreck » Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:16 pm

Civilian Scout wrote:I pretty much agree with what Doc said. The XCR weighed a lot more than I expected it to. While weight is always a concern, I'm generally more concerned about a weapon's balance. The XCR is very muzzle heavy and therefore very poorly balanced. I haven't had the opportunity to take one apart, so I can't say much about the internals. Overall build qaulity seemed pretty good, though.
I thought that the Sig 556 was very heavy towards the front too - this must be how all piston based Ar type of weapons are...
-
Visit: http://texasgunforum.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Beamish

Post by Beamish » Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:08 pm

crypto wrote:
Beamish wrote:

Speaking as a left-hander, the ergonomics suck :x
Yeah - you got me there. :lol:

Doesn't Suarez call the AK a "left handed" gun? So...you have that and Stag Arms going for you.

Nightside_Eclipse

Post by Nightside_Eclipse » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:56 pm

waterborne wrote:The owner of MAGPUL is former marine recon. And I had just gotten off a 36 hour shift so.... I'll try to be more alert and oreinted before I start ranting on here, sorry.
Eh... I know Marines who can't shoot for shit and don't know jack about guns.

Not knocking the Magpul or the Masada, as all preliminary reports say it's great, but a person's military background is completely irrelavent to whether they can design firearms.

And no weapon can be "proven" until it's actually tested and used. And of course not everyone can attest to the AR/M16 platform's combat reliability...

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”