HENRY SURVIVAL RIFLE AR-7

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

ais4122
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later

HENRY SURVIVAL RIFLE AR-7

Post by ais4122 » Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:03 pm

I plan on buying an AR-7. The camo version goes for the high 200's.
I noticed on a gun consumer website that it said the rifle, when in the stock, (supposed to be waterproof and float) will eventually fill with water. Since the seals tend to have small leaks. Does anyone have any imput into the Henry rifle, positive or negative. I have plenty of other rifles, but want this one to store in a ruck sack and to teach my young kids how too shoot. thanks :)

ais4122
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later

Post by ais4122 » Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:05 pm

P.S. I did a search in the firearms section and didnt find much on the AR-7, so I started this new thread,

Rooster

Post by Rooster » Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:18 pm

I know a few fellas who have one, and I've had the opportunity to shoot one. It feels a bit odd at first because of the thick diameter of the stock. It might make it difficult for a youth to hold properly. But overall I liked it and plan to buy on yet this fall. I really like that when stored, it has room for 2 mags and comes with 2 mags.

High 200s for price? The ones I've priced are $190 - $220 for black or silver finish (Sportsman's Warehouse). Never priced a camo one, though. Don't know if that makes a difference.
Are you prepared? Good. Then help someone else do the same.

DocSimon aka The Pie Army Field Marshall wrote:..PIE IS FOREVER....POWER TO THE PIE!

jor-el

Post by jor-el » Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:21 pm

Amusing novelty once. Owned a Charter Arms version for a Benny used. Not very accurate or very reliable. Traded it for a 10/22. Stock will not carry spare mags readily available. The buttpad is a large soft plastic cap which could crack with use and time.

You'd be better off finding a waterproof small rifle case for another rifle with magazine pockets.
My son, you will travel far, but never be alone, for I am with you, my M14 and battle axe comfort you.

mantis

Post by mantis » Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:34 pm

I own the Henry Repeating arms version and it's excellent. I've never had any trouble with it. From what I understand, the quality of these rifles was really going down the tubes until Henry took over production. They've improved them considerably. I find mine to be accurate and reliable.
Doc Torr wrote:"Those who live by the sword get shot by those who see them coming a hundred yards away."
roscoe wrote:.....and don't plan on being The Humongous - it ain't happening.

DFWMTX
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by DFWMTX » Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:53 pm

I like it. Nice compact .22 for plinking or survival small game hunting.

My only complaints -
- doesn't feed jacketed or hollowpoints well; it just likes straight lead bullets.
- as previously mentioned, the stock can only carry 2 magazines, one actually set in the receiver, and another 8-rounder. Trying to fit in a 15-rounder is impossible.
- the buttpad falls off too easily. A simple jarring can cause it to fall off, which may mean the rest of the parts spill out too. Usually the barrel will fall out when the buttpad comes off, the receiver generally will stay where it is.

Don't know if it floats or not. I don't feel comfortable tossing it in the lake to find out.
It can always get worse.

thorian

Post by thorian » Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:24 pm

the funny thing is that I had exactly the opposite experience with mine.

It would feed jacketed ammunition but would shave the bullets off lead nose.

Only I could shoot that rifle no one else could get it to work.
VOL FF 1 & 2, EMT-B, Hazmat Ops, Vehicle Extrication Technician, High angle rescue technician, and that is just the hobby...

hk33k

Post by hk33k » Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:25 pm

I have a silver Henry that I purchased back in 98-99.
It has been a big disapointment.
Accuracy has been marginal, reliablity has been poor(2-3 failures to feed per mag), over all it has been so bad I wouldn't even sell it.
Then a magical thing happened, I purchased an old Armalite AR7 and took both of them to the range.
Using the Armalite mags in the Henry almost cured it.
It will now only have a malfunction once in a great while, though the accuracy is still poor.
The Armalite, on the other hand, is a great rifle, accurate and 100% reliable(as long as I use hi-velocity 22lr, doesn't like the standard stuff.)
Pat
0-1-25

ant69
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days

Post by ant69 » Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:26 pm

I had one a couple years back and found it to be reliable and accurate. I didn't like the size of the stock so I traded it for a 10/22. Ant

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:45 pm

I think they look like plastic pieces of shit, to be honest. The barrel is a steel liner wrapped in overmolded plastic. The stock feels like it's made by Hasbro.

Honestly, the thing just needs some Hello Kitty stickers on it and it'd really complete the "this is a toy" illusion.

Its weird being able to flex the barrel in your hands, and is the ultimate reason I didnt get one.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

KaceCoyote

Post by KaceCoyote » Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:46 pm

get a Papoose instead
Kace, the Coyote without a cause.

Only bovines and homosexuals come out of Texas -Politically corrected R Lee Ermey

When the smoke clear, you can see the sky again
There will be the chopped off heads of leviathan
My friend, they call 'em strangers
Everybody talk to him end up in some danger
-MF Doom, Strange Ways

waterborne

Post by waterborne » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:16 pm

I got mine for free so I kept it ofcourse, It isn't particuraly acurate or reliable, however it is a fun little gun to shoot, but I have to remind myself it is still a gun do to the fact it feels like a toy being so small and light. However I would rather have been given a ruger .22 instead. It depends on it's intended use.
Heart beats, air goes in and out, and O2 is good.

TravisM.1

Post by TravisM.1 » Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:13 pm

KaceCoyote wrote:get a Papoose instead
I concur.
I sold my soul to the devil for a .45, a black cowboy hat and a switchblade knife.......

TEC9man

Post by TEC9man » Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:27 am

I had one back in the early '80's. I actually put it in water to see if it would float. Mine did with no leakage at all. My butt pad was very tight on the gun. The only problem I ever saw with one was when a buddy and I were shooting one heavily at an indoor range. After a few hundred rounds it overheated and cooked off a full mag on auto. Recently another friend picked one up at a gun store in great condition for $50.
Psalm 27:1-5
All the above statements are that of TEC9man and not necesarily that of ZS, it's moderators or members.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”